Ip - Tips For Newbies

You're on Page 11 of 35
Go to
  • Sugar vs Sugar Alcohols?
    When you are new to IP you are left wondering about what works, why, and why is it difference from something else. Below are some notes I kept from my research. I am not sure where they were from. I scoured the internet. They are not my own original words/thoughts in many cases. BUT, you may still find the points to be of interest.

Sugar alcohols are carbohydrates, but not sugars. They are also know as polyols, and are ingredients used as sweeteners and bulking agents. Part of their chemical structure resembles sugar, and part of it resembles alcohol.

They occur naturally in foods. Some of them are extracted from plants (sorbitol from corn syrup and mannitol from seaweed), but they are mostly manufactured from sugars and starches. Sugar alcohol is used as a sugar substitute, because they provide fewer calories than sugar but, they still have calories. They vary as they contain about a half to one-third less calories than regular sugar.

(Sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners, such as sucralose (splenda), saccharin (Sweet & Low®), aspartame (Equal® or Nutrasweet®), rebianna (truvia or purevia), and acesulfame K (potassium) are not one and the same. One difference between the types of sugar substitutes is that the artificial sweeteners contain zero calories whereas sugar alcohols contain about 2.6 calories per gram. NOT all artificial sweeteners contain carbohydrates so they do not cause blood sugar to elevate, whereas, sugar alcohols have some effect on blood sugar. Be cautious because some sweeteners such as aspartame, rebianna, and sucralose are made in multiple forms which are blended with sugar alcohols, real sugar, or real brown sugar and they do have carbs when you use quantities larger than 1 tsp.)

Sugar-alcohol is converted to glucose more slowly, requires little or no insulin to be metabolized, and do not cause sudden increases in blood sugar. Most have a glycemic index of 13 or less with only 3 having GI levels of 36 or higher.

Ingredient .............................. GI ....... cal per g
    Sucrose(sugar) ........................ 60 ....... 4.0
    Maltitol Syrup ........................ 52 ....... 3.0
    Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate .. 39 ...... 2.8
    Maltitol .................................... 36 ...... 2.7
    Xylitol ................................... 13 ....... 2.5
    Isomalt .................................. 9 ....... 2.1
    Sorbitol .................................. 9 ....... 2.5
    Lactitol ................................... 6 ....... 2.0
    Mannitol ................................. 0 ....... 1.5
    Erythritol .............................. 0 ....... 0.2 some have insulin response

There is often the misconception that all sugar alcohol-containing products are free foods, which is reasonable to doubt. Some of these products may still contain significant amounts of carbohydrates, and we should take care about it.

If a food contains more than 5 grams sugar alcohol, the American Diabetes Association recommends subtracting 1/2 of the sugar alcohol grams from the total carbohydrate in a food. For example, if a food contains 18 grams total carbohydrate and 6 grams sugar alcohols, subtract 3 grams sugar alcohol (1/2 the amount in the food) from 18 grams carbohydrate to equal 15 grams total carbohydrate.

Sugar alcohols are like sugar in some ways, but they are not completely absorbed by the body. Because of this, the blood sugar impact of sugar alcohols is less and they provide fewer calories per gram.

It is important to note that the different types of sugar alcohols will be absorbed differently in the body and each one will in turn have a different effect on blood sugar levels. Also, due to the fact that sugar alcohols are not completely absorbed when they are ingested, they can ferment in the intestines. What that does is cause bloating, gas and diarrhea. Individuals will also have different reactions to different sugar alcohols, so it is important to experiment with caution.

Unfortunately, there are some negatives associated with sugar alcohols. The most common side effect is the possibility of bloating and diarrhea when sugar alcohols are eaten in excessive amounts. There is also some evidence that sugar alcohols, much like fructose (natural fruit sugar) in fruit and fruit juice can cause a "laxative effect." Weight gain has been seen when these products are overeaten. The American Diabetes Association claims that sugar alcohols are acceptable in a moderate amount but should not be eaten in excess. Some people with diabetes, especially Type I diabetics, have found that their blood sugars rise if sugar alcohols are eaten in uncontrolled amounts.
  • Raw vs. Cooked / How Much Lettuce / Curbing Hunger
    I have so many questions:

RAW vs. COOKED: Read on another thread that green peppers are to be eaten only if cooked. Is this right? Only ONION is specifically stated on the protocol sheet. I spent an hour searching this forum and find no mention of raw vs. cooked -- what other food have this issue?

HOW MUCH LETTUCE: Read daily lettuce should be 4 cups - is that right? I can't believe I'm close to that and maybe why I get hungry?

HUNGER: what tips can you offer for helping with hunger? I'm getting at least 64oz of water an taking 3 IP foods a day (no exercise yet) and 1 is often a pnut bar or soy nuts. Assume if I'm sooooo hungry during day & evening that I'm not in ketosis? I'm down 8# in 10 days so feel successful BUT hungry

There's so much knowledge on this board -- wish it had an index!
  • Quote: I have so many questions:

RAW vs. COOKED: Read on another thread that green peppers are to be eaten only if cooked. Is this right? Only ONION is specifically stated on the protocol sheet. I spent an hour searching this forum and find no mention of raw vs. cooked -- what other food have this issue?

HOW MUCH LETTUCE: Read daily lettuce should be 4 cups - is that right? I can't believe I'm close to that and maybe why I get hungry?

HUNGER: what tips can you offer for helping with hunger? I'm getting at least 64oz of water an taking 3 IP foods a day (no exercise yet) and 1 is often a pnut bar or soy nuts. Assume if I'm sooooo hungry during day & evening that I'm not in ketosis? I'm down 8# in 10 days so feel successful BUT hungry

There's so much knowledge on this board -- wish it had an index!
    I know this has been addressed, but yes, these threads are quite lengthy.

In essence- g. pepper cooked and onion raw- this is because of the sugars in them and when the sugar is released vs. the amount of sugar your body uses. A LOT of veggies are low carb until cooked....or vice versa. Cabbage for example is lower in carbs once cooked. You need to find an online or pocket guide that tells you this information.

Salad- Hmmmm, 4 cups??? My protocol says 4 C of veggies, and UNLIMITED lettuce. Double check. Lettuce is your go to, freebie. You should not exceed 4 C of veggies in a day, but you are free to have as many salads as you need to keep you from starving!

Hunger- I would say 64 oz is probably not enough. The adage on here is that if you weigh 200 lbs, you should drink 1/2 that in oz- so 100 oz of water. Up your water. Also, drink decaf hot teas....that may help some. Or, if you can't stand it, eat some hard boiled egg whites. If the hunger continues, talk to your coach about a 4th packet for a few days to see if that helps!

Good luck....hang in there, this is a great lifestyle!
  • New to IP
    Hi all. I am new to IP.....I am on second week and have lost 11 pounds. So far doing pretty well, but thanks so much for all your posts and information. So far I have lots of energy, and have found no cravings or the feeling of being hungry. I am a nurse and my daily schedule is hectic too. One thing I have read is that "insomnia" is not uncommon.......does mostly everyone experience that. This last week, I have not slept well at all....which is not normal for me.

Also, does everyone take the IP vitamins? I am taking them, but have a medicine chest full of the same things. Any thoughts.

Thanks all so much.
  • Quote: Hi all. I am new to IP.....I am on second week and have lost 11 pounds. So far doing pretty well, but thanks so much for all your posts and information. So far I have lots of energy, and have found no cravings or the feeling of being hungry. I am a nurse and my daily schedule is hectic too. One thing I have read is that "insomnia" is not uncommon.......does mostly everyone experience that. This last week, I have not slept well at all....which is not normal for me.

Also, does everyone take the IP vitamins? I am taking them, but have a medicine chest full of the same things. Any thoughts.

Thanks all so much.
    Double check the labels.........all vitamins are not created equal. Especially the multi vitamin. I have always taken the vitamins that are from IP. Many have found some that are close in the cal/mag potassium but not the multi (Ithink I remember that correctly) read the labels carefully.
  • I had my 2nd WI today and was very pleased with the results. I am down an additional 4 lbs for a total of 11 in two weeks! I'm very excited! I had heard the stories of week 2 being a bad week for some so I was nervous. However, next week I'm traveling for my work and I'm worried about all the tempations that will be in front of me all week. I started a list of what IP packets I want to use each day to help me - anyone else have any ideas? Love the remarks and support on this site!! I definitely not alone in my battle at the scale!
  • Quote: I had my 2nd WI today and was very pleased with the results. I am down an additional 4 lbs for a total of 11 in two weeks! I'm very excited! I had heard the stories of week 2 being a bad week for some so I was nervous. However, next week I'm traveling for my work and I'm worried about all the tempations that will be in front of me all week. I started a list of what IP packets I want to use each day to help me - anyone else have any ideas? Love the remarks and support on this site!! I definitely not alone in my battle at the scale!
    That was a great second week! Way to go!

The drinks seem to be most convenient to me. They are pretty easy to mix with and in any bottled water. Saves on packing a shaker.

If you are using the restricted items, the soy puffs are nice and seem "normal" to others if you are nibbling around them. Same is true for the bars.

If you have a microwave in your hotel, the eggs will cook easily in a pyrex or plastic () bowl with a bit of pam.

The crisp cereal is good if you can make it in a cup with cold water.

The soups work but you MUST like them. They aren't everyone's cup of tea.

If you are checking a bag, you can also check the ready to drink shakes (vanilla or chocolate). They are great in coffee, with a meal, or as a snack. Again, they look really normal and won't draw much attention or commentary.

As for dinners, check out the restaurant thread for lots of tips!
  • I'm on week 7 - lost 17 lbs. Not great, but I'm okay with it. Also lost 17 inches - yay. My question has to do with the supplements. My doctor is not stocking them as he said they're too expensive. I have not been able to find a replacement for the "Potassium Calcium". I can't find any potassium that contains 800 mg. like these do nor can I find any Potassium with Calcium. Any suggestions?
  • Contact Idealtogo.com They will probably sell them to you.

Someone mentioned costco has a 400mg potassium at their pharmacy. I don't think You don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy. You could check if their is one in your area and what they have.

Really, it is mandatory that those supplements are taken so, if he isn't offering them he should offer a substitute.
  • so we are supposed to be taking 800 mgs of potassium daily?

Also - what are the dosages of the calcium and magnesium daily?

I am not using the IP supps, and my online coach has not given me the exact info about this.

thanks in advance.
  • Quote: so we are supposed to be taking 800 mgs of potassium daily?

I am not using the IP supps, and my online coach has not given me the exact info about this.

thanks in advance.
    In the alternative thread somewhere near page 17 or so there is a link that lists the calcium magnesium zinc numbers you need. I do believe there is a difference between the potasium bicorbonate from IP that is 800mg and the other potassium levels you find at the store. It just isn't the same and I don't know how many mg. you are supposed to take. Maybe there is another IP clinic near your Dr. that would let you buy them. I'm really surprised that your clinic isn't selling them it seems to be irresponsible because the supplements really make it much easier to stay healthy on the diet.

Showgirlz- Do you know if at Costco you would need a prescription for the 400mg of potassium or if you can just buy them over the counter?
  • Thank you for the info - kcjohn
  • Quote: Showgirlz- Do you know if at Costco you would need a prescription for the 400mg of potassium or if you can just buy them over the counter?
    I don't think you need a script. It was mentioned on this forum by someone else doing the alternative process. I would have to check at my costco and get back to you on this.

Quote: so we are supposed to be taking 800 mgs of potassium daily?

thanks in advance.
    Mine say:
    potassium bicarbonate 800mg calcium carbonate 200mg it is for a single pill once a day in the morning
  • ok i have a question: as am looking at all the salad dressings available at my store there are some that say 1 gr carb and 1 gr sugar are these okay? i have a couple of times just had chicken breast and vegetables for dinner and no lettuce is this okay?
  • well i guess my coach said it has to be 0 sugar on the label. since I was a dietcoke addict and not have had any pop for over 3 weeks...my coach said i only allowed 1 cup of coffee in the morning only. I"m not ready to give up my 2 or 3 or sometimes more...coffee... I use the vanilla shake in my coffee in the morning...mmmmm. I heard if u increase your intake of water during the day, this can compensate for coffee. Any cooments/suggestions? have any of you continued with pop? what about some alcohol and which alcohol, i"m usually a beer drinker but will drink most things