Old 06-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #1  

Exclamation Informations about vitamins

POTASSIUM
Why do we need to eat potassium ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
From IP Clinic Director Mike Ciell: Again, the Ideal Protein Weight-loss Method focuses on the minimum daily requirements and, because we are not consuming some food groups which are common sources of the daily potassium requirement, we must supplement while on the weight loss phase of the program. For example, a small banana contains 467 mgs of potassium, a third of a cup of raisins 363, one-half of a medium potato (with skin) about 422 mgs, one small orange roughly 240 mgs and one cup of 2% milk 377 mgs. We use our supplements only to replace what we are missing while temporarily giving up some of our common sources of potassium. Remember our dieters are required to consume 4 cups of vegetables, two green salads and a portion of whole protein per day. One-half cup of cooked mushrooms contains 277 mgs. of potassium, one cup of cooked asparagus (277), one cup of cooked zucchini or summer squash (346) and one cup of iceberg lettuce (87). Two examples of whole proteins would be: three ounces of baked or broiled salmon contain (319 mgs) while three ounces of roasted turkey (dark meat) have (259 mgs). When we “do the math” we can easily see that our dietary protocol comes in right about “dead-on” to the 2,000 mgs / day (between diet and supplements) that is recommended.

Now the question that always comes up is this: “Yes, but my doctor has already given me a prescription potassium supplement, why do I need to take yours too?” To this I reply: “Your doctor has your serum potassium levels titrated to the proper amount. If your “previous” daily diet usually includes a glass of orange juice, a glass of milk, a potato or a banana or many other fruits and dairy products, the answer is yes, otherwise you will be getting less potassium than your doctor expects and your next blood work-up will likely show a deficiency in this important element!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txtrish View Post
My coach said it was because we aren't eating fruit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
I know if you don't take it, you will get painful leg cramps, especially during the night when you're trying to sleep. You might even get them while taking the potassium and need to up your dose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
I'm going to GUESS it has to do with the hydration. When you pass a lot of water through your system (by peeing or sweating) you lose not just water, but large quantities of sodium and potassium. That is why you see a lot of gatorade, or bananas etc. for runners and other athletes. I would hazard that given how much water we are using to flush ketones out, it is also taking our salt and potassium. Anyone else have a theory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarygirlie View Post
Lady5andy... The fabulous RockyMonarch has it right on about the potassium. The doctor probably wasn't provided with ALL the components of the IP diet when he made that statement.
Je voudrais vous assurer que vous prenez votre potassium, sauf si vous avez une question spécifique que vous pourriez avoir besoin de parler avec votre médecin au sujet de.
Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Potassium is the one that regulates the heart the most but magnesium is also something to keep balanced. Imbalances in magnesium can cause strokes. Imbalances in potassium can cause heart attacks.

I don't know of any really great nutritional supplements that don't cost a fair amount... meaning a price close to IP.
We are prone to imbalancing potassium and other electrolytes in phase 1 because of what we DON'T eat and how much we urinate out.
1FCuser is offline   Reply With Quote