Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #481  

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
Hi, Sheila, If what I understand from past forum discussions is correct, you can slightly cook, or wilt, your onions just to take the bite out of them. Be sure not to carmelize them. It increases their glycemic index. So if I'm making a mushroom/spinach/onion omelet, I saute the spinach and mushrooms for several minutes, then add the onions to the pan for just a minute or so. Then I remove the veggies from the pan and cook the egg until almost done before adding the veggies back to the pan. I would probably go ahead and cook the meatloaf with the onions too. They certainly don't carmelize in the meatloaf.
I didn't know that. I never caramelize onions anyways. I remember when I started I posted the question of cooked/uncooked onions and someone said its because they do have more sugar when cooked, not when caramelized. I have been using shallots since then as again they said shallots would be o.k. I imagine if this is the case, we could also use it as part of any cooked food as long as its not all browned up???
Old 05-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #482  

and a question even though I know there is no clear answer to it:

I just tested myself and there are no ketones. Why? I have been so careful with what I have put in my body for the 8 days. I really have. I figure maybe I have used them all OR been drinking too much water?

yesterday it showed some colour but not today.

Yesterday I had a vanilla drink for breakfast, chilli for lunch, a salad, butter scotch pudding, 7 ounces of skirt steak with 1 cup of mushrooms and a big salad.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #483  
IP Start Feb 5/16

S/C/G: 338.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSheila View Post
I had to laugh when reading your post. By the end of my first week my family was so sick of lettuce, and steamed broccoli and cauliflower.
hehe, That is our main veggies at the moment! Sticking with what we know and like before becoming adventureous.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #484  

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitakitten View Post

I just tested myself and there are no ketones. Why? I have been so careful with what I have put in my body for the 8 days. I really have. I figure maybe I have used them all OR been drinking too much water?

Yesterday I had a vanilla drink for breakfast, chilli for lunch, a salad, butter scotch pudding, 7 ounces of skirt steak with 1 cup of mushrooms and a big salad.
most of the time during the day my sticks show lighter than trace-the lightest possible on the strip-it means you're properly hydrated. pee on the ketostix first thing in the AM and that will normally tell you the most accurate reading of ketones, mine are normally dark pink first thing in the morning, hope that helps
Old 05-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #485  

S/C/G: 253.6/235.6/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
hehe, That is our main veggies at the moment! Sticking with what we know and like before becoming adventureous.
LOL I know......I am to scared to try new things. I made some radish chips a couple days ago and they were soooo bad However I do need to try some new things---half of the stuff on my vegetable list I have never heard of

I have yet another question for you all. I found a shrimp recipe and a baked cauliflower recipe from some past posts. The shrimp you grill but the cauliflower you bake. Both recipes have lemon juice in them. I already have everything prepared for guests tonight and then I got to thinking.......is it ok to have lemon juice????? Ahhhhhh Please tell me yes
Old 05-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #486  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

My friend that is on IP told me her coach gave her some virgin coconut oil to use in the program, has anyone else been told we could use coconut oil??
I have been doing research on the net on it and it seems to be very beneficial to weight lose. Anyway here is some of the info I found;

(NaturalNews) Sorting through fact and fiction when it comes to weight loss is a tough order, especially when fad diets spring to life and wither away all in the same season. Many claims have been made about coconut oil and weight loss, but a number of whole food enthusiasts know this one is the real deal. And that's because coconut oil is more than a weight loss aid: it's a well-documented health food. Take it from experts like Dr. Bruce Fife and Dr. Mary Enig, both of whom speak volumes about the merits of coconut oil, when they vouch for its credibility. Coconut oil really can help you lost weight, and here's three reasons why:

#1 Get a Metabolism Boost

Coconut oil is one of the most abundant sources of medium-chain fatty acids, and these nifty little triglycerides can work wonders for a sluggish metabolism. In a study that looked at the effect of medium-chain fatty acids on metabolism, it was found that these fats could increase the metabolic rate by up to 48 percent and for up to 24 hours. If your metabolism has been damaged by dieting or stress, a daily dose of coconut oil can do wonders for getting it back on the right track.

#2 Balance Your Blood Sugar

The profound effect coconut oil seems to have on the metabolism extends to insulin function as well. This may be because coconut oil can supply the body with energy similar to blood glucose, but without having a negative impact on blood sugar and insulin levels. Including coconut oil before or during a meal also lowers the glycemic impact of what you're eating, which prevents those dreaded blood sugar highs and lows.

#3 Cure Candida and Yeast Overgrowth

The beneficial fatty acids in coconut oil do more than speed up a lagging metabolism. Lauric acid and caprylic acid in coconut oil also protect against one of the hidden causes behind weight gain: candida and yeast. When an overgrowth of candida is present, weight loss can be almost impossible. Candida causes symptoms like fatigue, poor concentration, recurring infections related to yeast, excessive sinus infections, and much more. But the side effect that really hinders weight loss is cravings for sugar and carbohydrates. This is because yeast feeds off sugar (carbohydrates break down into sugar once in the body), so it causes cravings in order to support its own life.

Taking coconut oil to counteract yeast overgrowth is highly effective, but it should be done with care. Coconut oil is such a powerful remedy for candida that it can cause strong symptoms of headaches, chills, and foggy thinking as the yeast dies off. This can be reduced by slowly incorporating coconut oil into your diet, starting with as little as one teaspoon daily.

More Than Just a Fad

Coconut oil didn't spring to life in the last few years, although it may seem that way. The truth is that coconut has been a healing superfood for centuries in tropical cultures. These people value coconut and its derivatives for their tremendous medicinal power - and they are remarkably healthy as a result. Even in Western society, coconut oil found widely popular uses until the middle of the 20th century, when coconut oil's reputation took a bashing from researchers who examined the health impact of hydrogenated coconut oil - basically the evil twin of the real thing. But thanks to experts who are willing to give a genuine look into coconut oil's benefits, we now can be assured that this oil is a bonafide health food.

Tips for Taking Coconut Oil:

- Don't settle for the cheap brands found next to shortening on grocery store shelves. Much of this coconut oil is hydrogenated, which negates all of its benefits. In addition, this is commercially-processed coconut oil that has been stripped of its natural properties. The best type of coconut oil is the extra-virgin unrefined variety, which will retain its light aroma and taste in addition to its amazing health benefits.

- Even if you don't suspect candida, it's still wise to introduce coconut oil into your diet slowly. The body can react strangely when it's unfamiliar with such a nutritious food. Start with about one teaspoon once per day, and gradually increase to at least three tablespoons daily. This amount will help you reap the maximum benefits from this incredible tropical superfood.

Last edited by Journeysend; 05-22-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #487  

Just me again my cousin's wife just sent me this info on cucumber that I thought might be of interest:

WOW WHAT A LITTLE GEM THE CUCUMBER IS,I WILL LOOK AT IT DIFFERENTLY NOW.

1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.

2. Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.

3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.

4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area.

5 Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes, the phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!

6.. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache!!

7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders and explores for quick meals to thwart off starvation.

8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don't have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe, its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also repels water.

9. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!

10. Stressed out and don't have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber with react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown the reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.

11. Just finish a business lunch and realize you don't have gum or mints? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.

12. Looking for a 'green' way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel? Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean, not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is won't leave streaks and won't harm you fingers or fingernails while you clean.

13. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!

Last edited by Journeysend; 05-22-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #488  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSheila View Post
LOL I know......I am to scared to try new things. I made some radish chips a couple days ago and they were soooo bad However I do need to try some new things---half of the stuff on my vegetable list I have never heard of

I have yet another question for you all. I found a shrimp recipe and a baked cauliflower recipe from some past posts. The shrimp you grill but the cauliflower you bake. Both recipes have lemon juice in them. I already have everything prepared for guests tonight and then I got to thinking.......is it ok to have lemon juice????? Ahhhhhh Please tell me yes
Hi Sweet Sheila; You should be OK with the lemon juice used in the recipes, there was a discussion on the weekly chat thread a couple of weeks ago about lemon juice, you could maybe check it out. Hope this helps...have a great time tonight with your guests.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #489  

Here is a link to more info about coconut oil, very interesting!!

http://www.naturalnews.com/coconut_oil.html
Old 05-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #490  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Quote:
I didn't know that. I never caramelize onions anyways. I remember when I started I posted the question of cooked/uncooked onions and someone said its because they do have more sugar when cooked, not when caramelized. I have been using shallots since then as again they said shallots would be o.k. I imagine if this is the case, we could also use it as part of any cooked food as long as its not all browned up???
I'm saying you definitely don't want to carmelize onions. You should just barely cook them. The longer they cook, the higher the glycemic index. I think that's why they just tell us not to cook them at all. It takes the guess work out of it. Stick to a minute or so.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #491  

Quote:

If you're not ravenously hungry and you're doing everything right, you're probably in ketosis. I got the following information off this website:http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/ketostix.html

What if your sticks don't "turn"?

A negative result does not always mean you're not in ketosis. If you're keeping your carbs below a certain level (different for different people, but the 20 to 40 carbs per day range is a safe bet), you're probably in ketosis. Some people use their ketones more efficiently, and indeed make fewer of them, hence their lack of "spill" into the urine.

Keep in mind, though, that it's possible to keep your actual carb count low (say at around 30 grams), and still side-step ketosis. The culprits? Most often it's from eating foods that contain even a small amount of "High Fructose Corn Syrup" (HFCS), which can cause a strong insulin spike and halt fat burning. HFCS is far more destructive to your health and your weight loss than regular sugar.

You might also be a person who reacts to aspartame intake with an insulin release. The Atkins Center reports up to 25% of people have such a reaction to aspartame (NutraSweet.)

An appreciable amount of trans fats in the diet can also halt weight loss and fat breakdown. Why? Because trans fats are artificial fats that the body fails to recognize as "real", and attempts simply to store them, taking an "I'll deal with it some other time" approach.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #492  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeysend View Post
My friend that is on IP told me her coach gave her some virgin coconut oil to use in the program, has anyone else been told we could use coconut oil??
Yes. I asked the regional rep when I first began the diet, and he said yes, to use it in the same quantities and instead of the olive oil or grapeseed oil.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #493  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerinb View Post
most of the time during the day my sticks show lighter than trace-the lightest possible on the strip-it means you're properly hydrated. pee on the ketostix first thing in the AM and that will normally tell you the most accurate reading of ketones, mine are normally dark pink first thing in the morning, hope that helps
alrighty then. I will try not to obsess with them. I think it is the hydration, I just came back from a 3 mile walk and had to pee twice, once at the store and then at the pharmacy...eeeek. Mine are always around trace or a bit more, only once has it been really dark.

also, I would like to note that kids were selling cookies and sweets to support kids in Afganistan. I donated money but didn't get anything!!!! yippy.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #494  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
I'm saying you definitely don't want to carmelize onions. You should just barely cook them. The longer they cook, the higher the glycemic index. I think that's why they just tell us not to cook them at all. It takes the guess work out of it. Stick to a minute or so.
thanks, I will stick to raw because I like to cook everything to death so I'll probably will do it too long. Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #495  

S/C/G: 217/174/150

Height: 5'6

Quote:
has anyone tried sweetleaf stevia flavored drops? my coach was telling me about them. they seem a bit expensive but she said they are very good for flavoring any sort of thing. That way you really don't have to worry about sugar being added.
It might have just been me, but I thought they were putrid. I'm with Erin with the whole "we can't have splenda except for the Ip stuff with Splenda" wierdness.
Closed Thread