Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #16  

Height: 5'8"

butter is full of saturated(bad) fat and dairy. both are not allowed on IP. try crab with a little cajun seasoning instead of butter, REALLY GOOD
Old 05-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 217/174/150

Height: 5'6

Thumbs up

thanks mama. I'll try that. sounds pretty good.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

thought this was interesting:

The Inevitable Stall

By Diana C.
A "stall" a few weeks out is inevitable, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a saber tooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

Breathe, and fuggedaboudit for a few days.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 184/145/135

Height: 5"5

Canadianmama! I believe someone may have already mentioned it, but on IP, I also don't take iron supplements. That said, you may have other reasons that it may be required for youVeggies...totally fine to break them up throughout the day. Splenda and Stevia are allowed, just make sure that you are not crazy with the amount ( as a side note here, if you sprinkle some on some cooked rhubarb it is delicious, and within your allowed veggies on phase 1, like pie without the crust, YAY!)

Mamaerin...ooooh that does sound good!

DK! Remember, if I even dare to mention fries....

Well week 5 WI was today, and I am down 3.5lbs. Totally happy with that after last week when the scale didn't move. Oh and yay! I have a weight ticker now!!!

Last edited by Calgarygirlie; 05-10-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #20  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

Oh I am so close to the 160's that if I stand on my tippee toes I can see it from here!!!! I weighed yesterday and was 171. My goal is 160, so I'm pretty excited. I told my coach I was really getting tired of Phase 1 and she moved me to Phase 2. It has been a really nice change and you don't feel so "on display" that you can't eat what everyone else is.

NSV I wore a dress to school today that has been hanging in my closet for 2 years with the tag still on it!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #21  
Started IP Aug 4/09

S/C/G: 235/146/130 Healthy BMI=140

Height: 5' 3"

130s... watch out - here I come!

Finally, my plateau seems over and the scale showed 140,4 this morning! OK, still am a morning scale hopper but felt soooo good this morning that I had to share!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #22  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyrook View Post
so still wondering if butter is a no no bc of the fat, or if the milk solids or something would throw you out of ketosis? Anyone have any ideas? Somehow the idea of crab and olive oil just doesn't do it for me. BUT if butter is going to mess with any weight loss I guess I will stick a birthday candle in a bar and call it good!
Here's what I know. Butter will not throw you out of ketosis. On ANY OTHER KETOGENIC diet, Butter is allowed (exception I know of is the induction period for South Beach diet). Butter is a fat with some very negligible carbs.

To my understanding, It is not permitted on this plan because adding a fat will cause your body to access that available fat before it taps into your stored body fat.

SO, will you go out of ketosis NO. Will you lose a little slower, very possibly.

However, if you are eating bars, you are eating restricted foods. If you are eating restricted foods the carb count is higher. The bars all have real sugars in them from brown rice syrup or agave. That said, you will slow yourself down more from the bar than from the butter.

ALSO, Ideally, you don't want to combine a high fat like butter with alot of carbs. It creates a situation where your body is more inclined to store fat. I don't know a lot about this yet, still trying to understand it, but, it seems to be one of those things you learn more about at the end of the program.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 05-10-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

CANADIANMAMA: Welcome...this is a great forum, lots on info, support and friendship.

PITAKITTEN: Thanks for the info

CARLASHEREA: Great going, isn't hitting a new "10" great...those are my mini-goals--going after 10lbs at a time. LOL

WYO: Great numbers--seeing how well you have done is great motivation for me, Thanks!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #24  

today I am really jumping from here to there and googling alot to try and figure out how to boost the weight loss. Have come up with many theories that I want to try out.

I do have a question though and that is about caffeine intake; I at minimum drink 3 cups of coffee in the morning as soon as I wake up. I have it black with nothing added. Here is my question: could it be that the large dose of caffeine intake is stimulating insulin production? basically am I sobotaging myself every single morning?

Also, I found out that FDA's problem with IDP food is that they use Cyclamate as a sweetner. This sweetner does not have approval by FDA and will probably never have it, even though it is approved in 55 other countries incluing Canada. Does anyone else have problem getting their IDP food? right now my place is pretty much empty of food except for the chips/bars/soups/some drink mixes; none of which I like to have.

thanks a bunch.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMama View Post
I am on day one of my new lifestyle change. I have 50 pounds to lose.

so my first day questions are .....

Supplements, took my vitamins, iron pill, and cal-mag this morning. It kept coming back at me all morning. I could taste the capsules (at least that's what I think it was). Anyone else have this, or maybe I took too long to swallow them.

Veggies - I know you can have two cups of veggies with lunch and dinner. Can I spread it around more than that, have say 1/2 cup morning snack, then lunch, then afternoon snack then dinner.

I see some of you using splenda, my coach has said no sweeteners at all. He said 1 ounce of milk in coffee or tea in the morning. but I need sugar, so my chooses are not drink it at all, or use a sweeter. What do you do.

Kim
Welcome, Kim! When you say "vitamins," what are you talking about? The multi-vitamin? As far as I know, it is supposed to be iron free on this diet unless you have some special requirements or something. Also, we are supposed to take the calcium magnesium supplements at dinner and bedtime. It's probably the fish oil capsules that are coming back on you. I've had this happen with some brands but not the ones from Our Health Coop. Plus, when I take my supplements, I eat a portion of my meal first, take the supplements, and then finish my meal. That sometimes helps.

I don't know if it's kosher, but I sometimes spread out my veggies.

I was told I could use stevia and splenda, just not to excess.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #26  

scoop on my WI.

:P BLAH.... still holding at least .8 pounds water only lost .5 inch. feel bloated so that could change at any time. I hate the week before and during TOM. Almost wish I didn't have to weigh or measure at all these weeks. It seems so ridiculous. I know what is happening. I know it will flush out next time but just a silly exercise that makes me see how weighing really is just a representation of a point in time. For instance, if I weigh wednesday or after I will certainly be down at least 2 pounds... GRRR.... I should probably just rearrange my weigh ins to the dates I need in the month so I don't feel so...... stagnate.

PITA KITTEN: Thanks for the inevitable stall info. That was really interesting. Might make sense of some of what I have seen too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlasherea View Post
Oh I am so close to the 160's that if I stand on my tippee toes I can see it from here!!!! I weighed yesterday and was 171. My goal is 160, so I'm pretty excited. I told my coach I was really getting tired of Phase 1 and she moved me to Phase 2. It has been a really nice change and you don't feel so "on display" that you can't eat what everyone else is.

NSV I wore a dress to school today that has been hanging in my closet for 2 years with the tag still on it!
Congrats! We are almost in the same place! I have been teetering at 170 to 171 for the past 2 weeks. I am so close to the 160's I can taste it. Unfortunately, my goal is closer to 145 pounds so, I have a bit farther to go.

That is such a fun thing to wear the dress you haven't been able too. I had a few new with tags items in my closet that I'd actually forgotten about! Blew right past them as I lost weight (some because of changes in shape and some because of wrong season to wear) and had to just donate them without ever taking the tag off.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 05-10-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitakitten View Post
today I am really jumping from here to there and googling alot to try and figure out how to boost the weight loss. Have come up with many theories that I want to try out.

I do have a question though and that is about caffeine intake; I at minimum drink 3 cups of coffee in the morning as soon as I wake up. I have it black with nothing added. Here is my question: could it be that the large dose of caffeine intake is stimulating insulin production? basically am I sobotaging myself every single morning?

Also, I found out that FDA's problem with IDP food is that they use Cyclamate as a sweetner. This sweetner does not have approval by FDA and will probably never have it, even though it is approved in 55 other countries incluing Canada. Does anyone else have problem getting their IDP food? right now my place is pretty much empty of food except for the chips/bars/soups/some drink mixes; none of which I like to have.

thanks a bunch.
Yes, caffeine can stall some people as it can cause a pancreatic response. Only you can tell if it is happening for you. You might try to cut the caffeine down to 1 cup or out for a week and see if there are any changes. I have about 4 cups per week total so, I can't really say I have noticed much impact.

I have no issues getting food.

I would be interested in where you found the information about the FDA, Ideal protein, and cyclamate. It is true that Abbot labs has a petition with the FDA that is for cyclamate and is being held up for deficiencies on the petition. I can't find any other information. Also, from reading the boxes and the ideal protein website, none of the products I have seen show any cyclamate (sodium cyclamate) in them.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Yes, caffeine can stall some people as it can cause a pancreatic response. Only you can tell if it is happening for you. You might try to cut the caffeine down to 1 cup or out for a week and see if there are any changes. I have about 4 cups per week total so, I can't really say I have noticed much impact.

I have no issues getting food.

I would be interested in where you found the information about the FDA, Ideal protein, and cyclamate. It is true that Abbot labs has a petition with the FDA that is for cyclamate and is being held up for deficiencies on the petition. I can't find any other information. Also, from reading the boxes and the ideal protein website, none of the products I have seen show any cyclamate (sodium cyclamate) in them.
I will cut down my coffee to one cup in the morning for the rest of the week and go from there.

I went to FDA.ORG and did a search for pharmalab 1982 INC. it basically came up as mislabelled food.
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...CountryCode=CA
and
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia...alert_120.html
Old 05-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #29  

I posted before that I had gone to my internist, who was familiar with the IP plan and said she thought it was good and healthy. She said she had several patients who had great success with the plan. That made me feel better too. I feel better and have done well, so it is good to have medical opinion to offset the naysayers that are sure I am harming myself.

WyoSun - Your stats are great! I was able to stop taking my BP med after a month on IP. I also so not plan on returning to my "old" way of eating and bought two low GI diet books to guide me to a better way of eating and cooking.

Jordanna- It will be good to have your support and input back on the boards. We miss you!
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #30  

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitakitten View Post
I will cut down my coffee to one cup in the morning for the rest of the week and go from there.

I went to FDA.ORG and did a search for pharmalab 1982 INC. it basically came up as mislabelled food.
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...CountryCode=CA
and
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia...alert_120.html
I looked at your links. Do you realize they are dated 2009? Seems odd to me that they'd still be held up from 2009 when I know my clinic just opened this year and has been getting shipments fine up until the ready to drink vanilla drinks became backordered.
Closed Thread