Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245.6/229.5/160

Height: 5'6

Default Restaurant guide for IP

I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas of what to eat at restaurants. I have several things in the next month that require me to go to dinner and thought it might be good to have some input from you guys. I do know one restaurant is Red Lobster but I'm not sure of the other one's yet.
Thanks guys!
penguin0199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 132/120/115

Height: 5'4"

I eat out quite often and still have managed to keep the weight coming off week after week. Here is what do;

Salads with protein (fish or chicken) and allowed veggies I ask to mix in mushrooms, tomato (my coach let's me have), red onion, whatever . . . and then I just get olive oil and white vinegar on the side and add my sea salt (I bring) and pepper.

or. . .

I order a meat entree of chicken, beef or fish and asked for steamed veggies. I tell people absolutely no dairy (they think I'm lactose intolerant then and are really careful to make sure no dairy in anything or on the meat).

Bring your own salt!

It seems to do the trick and I get to eat out.

Hope it helps!
LastStubborn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #3  

Thanks so much for the info. It definitely helps!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #4  
Kris M

S/C/G: 254/185/135

Hi! Here is my 2 cents on the subject! My hubby and I have date night every Friday! This means going out for a nice dinner and then a movie, or theatre etc. We have managed to still have this weekly treat while on the plan by tweaking how I order my food. I start my ordering a pitcher of ice water with lime wedges. I always ask for my meat to be dry cooked, no added oils or fat, and instead of the potatoe or rice I ask for a double serving of the steamed vegetable with no oil or butter. Some restaurants may give you a hard time with the veggies. Say they are serving carrots - but you can't have them. However if you know they have broccoli or asparagus available, explain that you cannot eat the carrots, and they will assume it is due to an allergy and grant your request. I always try to go to a restaurant that has a salad bar. That is very helpful when everyone else is having an appetizer! If not, then order a side salad with oil and vinegar on the side. I actually bring in my own dressing and bbq sauce to the restaurant to add to my meal! If anyone ever questions me, I explain that I have various food intolerances or restrictions and must supply my own compatible items. Haven't had anyone give me a hard time about it yet! If you are unsure if the item has cream, sugars, starch etc, then ask the server. They should have a list of ingredients available in the kitchen to double check for you!

Good luck! Just remember to be creative and have fun with it!

Kris
Mystical Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0199 View Post
I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas of what to eat at restaurants. I have several things in the next month that require me to go to dinner and thought it might be good to have some input from you guys. I do know one restaurant is Red Lobster but I'm not sure of the other one's yet.
Thanks guys!
I completely agree with Kris (mystical mama). I keep a "eating out kit" in my bag. I bought a gift card tin case, like you use to "wrap" and give a gift card, and in the tin I keep 2 packets of the walden food dressing to go (italian works best for me.. I add a little extra olive oil, and lemon juice or white vinegar, salt and pepper to it add the table). I also have a second tin that has a few packets of stevia sweetner, a small ziploc medicine/pill baggie of real salt/sea salt, and my essential enzymes. I keep all of this in an bag, like a cosmetics bag but large, along with 2 spare IP packets of protein drinks and a few tea bags I like. It is in my handbag or travel/shopping bag all the time. I am rarely without water or where I can buy it so, I don't ever get stuck starving or wanting to cheat. I can grab and IP drink anywhere.

At restaurants I have learned to scan the entrees, salad, and side choices for what types of veggies the kitchen uses. I review salads to see what works, what modifications I will have to make.

Things I frequently order or have ordered easily are:

BRUNCH/BREAKFAST:

buffets: eggs and steamed, sauteed, or grilled veggies. Omelette with veggies. sometimes a piece or 2 of bacon. spinach eggs benedict no bread, no sauce.

Buffets in general are ok. you do have to keep in mind salt but any lunch or dinner buffet will offer chicken, roast beef cuts, fish, veggies, and salad.

Hamburgers or chicken sandwiches: ask for it to be done protein style meaning no bread and extra lettuce on either side as a "bun". No cheese. Use steamed mushrooms if you like mushrooms. I have them hold all the condiments except the mustard. If I know I am going out for a burger, I try to take a walden farms ranch, bacon ranch, or thousand Island packet with me to use as a sauce on the burger. I always replace the fries with steamed veggies and order the "add on for a bit more" side salad.

Salad bars are a very safe bet. We have a few of the sweet tomatoes/soup plantation places here and I have seen the inside of all of them I think! It is great because you really can eat easily, stay completely on plan no matter how strict you are. I know they don't have much for protein so, I get a bottled water, a cup with ice, pour 1/2 the water into my cup and use the other 1/2 to make up an IP protein drink. Then I get a coffee cup, (free with purchase of a drink), add hot water and brew a bag of tea! I also ask them at the steamed veggies counter if they can make me some steamed veggies that don't have any butter, salt, or carrots. They have always been accomodating.

FONDUE: The melting pot is in our area. It is great! I get the chicken or seafood/shrimp. and use a chicken broth or oil fondue. I confirm that the seasoning in the pot do not include sugar. I also ask them to bring extra veggies and no potato or bread. Works great every time!

BARBECUE: I get unseasoned, smoked turkey or chicken at a place near us with extra veggies, steamed dry and a salad.. sometimes a spinach salad is nice.

I also like to get Barbecue chicken DRY.. not sauced at all just done on a grill.

STEAK/Prime rib: These are pretty easy. Just get the small cut or plan to get a box early on, and box what you know you can't eat then to take home for later.

As far as restaurants I have been able to find things, with some modification, I usually review the restaurant website before I go and call them to confirm how things are prepared:
(some I list below may be local to Arizona only)

Don and Charlie's - had prime rib with broccoli and a modified salad. This was my birthday dinner place. I called ahead to the restaurant and the manager helped me make a great choice. He went over the 3 dishes that were available to me without sugar in the seasoning. He even helped me figure out how to get the best salad! http://www.donandcharlies.com/

The Melting Pot -My date and I did the spinach mushroom salad without dressing, the seafood trio and the chicken breast individual fondues with the oil and the mojo sauce pots with lots of veggies. http://www.meltingpot.com/locations.aspx?z=&n=307272

Buster's - Steak or prime rib, spinach salad, veggies steamed. http://www.bustersrestaurant.com/

Gallagher's - smoked turkey, steamed veggies, basic green salad OR a spinach salad modified OR a chicken Caesar with my dressing and no croutons http://gallaghersaz.com/

Applebee's - a modified salad, or the asiago peppercorn steak or grilled dijon chicken with portobello. I make lots of modifications to these but they work. No cheese, no sauce, dry veggies. sub potato with extra veggie, get a small side salad. http://www.applebees.com/Menu_Under550.aspx

Red Robin - the chicken ensenada is good without sauces, use lemon juice and oil or your own dressing, and I add a small side of broccoli steamed dry. I also order most of their burgers or chicken protein style, no bun.

Pf Chang - I ordered from the gluten free menu. I got seared tuna, no sauce or drizzle. I got the side of seared spinach to go with it.

In and Out burger - protein style hamburger, mustard only no fries

Islands- Turkey burger, no bun, with steamed veggies and side salad. I have also done a chicken breast or the chicken caesar salad

The Yard House- Seared tuna with asparagus. no rice just extra veggies. added side salad.

Sushi-I get a few pieces of sashimi.. salmon or tuna.. or the shrimp (ama ebi) (you can do the sushi ebi style if you want happy hour price but) don't eat the rice. Some edamame, steamed veggies, and a small salad no dressing

Red Lobster -SOOO many things work. Fresh fish, wood fired, grilled any of it just no sauce, no bread, no cheese, no rice. Get lots of veggies and a salad.

Maggiano's Italian - Not so hard. Great salad options! Chicken piccata, herb roasted chicken, seared pork medallions, fresh fish, Salmon with lemon.. I modify any of them to fit the diet. Sides to add are:asparagus, spinach or broccoli

http://www.maggianos.com

Have you figured out other restaurants yet?

Last edited by showgirlaz; 06-19-2010 at 01:04 AM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #6  

Thanks Carla! That's a really good idea you guys have to keep an "emergancy" bag with you. I'm gonna have to try that. The only other restaurant I know of is Olive Garden which we are going to this weekend.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0199 View Post
Thanks Carla! That's a really good idea you guys have to keep an "emergancy" bag with you. I'm gonna have to try that. The only other restaurant I know of is Olive Garden which we are going to this weekend.
Try the herb grilled salmon. it comes with broccoli. Get the salad at the table with dressing on the side, if you can, or a single salad for you (claim food allergies), no cheese, crouton, or olive on the salad. Avoid the breadsticks. Put them as far away from you as possible or ask for them not to be brought to the table. You can also try the mixed grill with no potato. get extra broccoli or veggies.

I find Italian is one of the hardest because so many Italian restaurants think only of serving Italian pasta dishes or dishes with sauces. So many great Italian recipes are low carb and can be served sauce free or with lower fat.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #8  

I had looked at the website for Olive Garden and saw a few things I think would be ok just have to make a few adjustments to them. Thanks for all the info!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/166/150

Height: 5'5"

We are going for Chinese today. Any ideas??
stacerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacerp View Post
We are going for Chinese today. Any ideas??
I did chinese yesterday. I ordered a white meat chicken and vegetable dish without any sauce. NO RICE. I asked them to prepare it msg free, no starch, no sugars, no vinegar or wines. I told them I could do them dish steamed in water or sauteed with an oil only! I had them bring me a little bit of lemon wedges to season with. I took my own sea salt, and a pre-made container of vinegar, soy, chinese five spice as my "sauce".

All chinese places offer white meat chicken, shrimp, scallops, pork, beef and have steamed broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, bok choy, leek, bean sprouts, asparagus. Just look for what sounds good. They will usually make or accomodate any changes and prepare it steamed. Just be sure to watch for the hidden starches in sauces, msg and seasonings. It is the main reason I go steamed and sauce free.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/166/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I did chinese yesterday. I ordered a white meat chicken and vegetable dish without any sauce. NO RICE. I asked them to prepare it msg free, no starch, no sugars, no vinegar or wines. I told them I could do them dish steamed in water or sauteed with an oil only! I had them bring me a little bit of lemon wedges to season with. I took my own sea salt, and a pre-made container of vinegar, soy, chinese five spice as my "sauce".

All chinese places offer white meat chicken, shrimp, scallops, pork, beef and have steamed broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, bok choy, leek, bean sprouts, asparagus. Just look for what sounds good. They will usually make or accomodate any changes and prepare it steamed. Just be sure to watch for the hidden starches in sauces, msg and seasonings. It is the main reason I go steamed and sauce free.
Thanks Carla! I didn't get your post until now...after my Chinese lunch. I will definitely use your ideas the next time! I had the Chicken Egg Foo Young. I know I could have done better, but that's okay. I'm not beating myself up over it
stacerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #12  
Started IP 5/4/10

S/C/G: 170/161.4/145

Is Chicken spicy Teriyaki bad? I have been hoping to through this for dinner one night but wasn't sure.
Thanks
queenbee15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:00 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbee15 View Post
Is Chicken spicy Teriyaki bad? I have been hoping to through this for dinner one night but wasn't sure.
Thanks
Sorry to bring bad news but, if you are not using a homemade sugarfree or a bottled sugarfree terriyaki sauce, you won't be able to have it. Terriyaki is heavy with sugar.

I did some research and found that authentic terriyaki is very simple and is just soy and sugar. Overtime additional seasonings like garlic, pineapple, and sesame or spices/peppers were added.

I found a sugar-free terriyaki online and then modified it to my taste. I use a low sodium soy, splenda, garlic, and a little red pepper for heat. It makes a thin sauce like a marinade but it works for me to get the flavor.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/156/125

Height: 5.2

Hi everyone I am new to IP and dont know much about foods. I was wondering if anyone knew if we can have polish bigos (hunter's stew)? i know it has tomato paste but other than that its just cabbage, sauercraut and sausage and meat scraps, well ... and some seasonings I guess I feel so guilty bc I had some and now Im worried it will push my weigh loss back by days
zabka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabka View Post
Hi everyone I am new to IP and dont know much about foods. I was wondering if anyone knew if we can have polish bigos (hunter's stew)? i know it has tomato paste but other than that its just cabbage, sauercraut and sausage and meat scraps, well ... and some seasonings I guess I feel so guilty bc I had some and now Im worried it will push my weigh loss back by days
it depends on how long you have been doing IP the amount of impact the tomato paste will have. It might not effect you at all. Don't worry about it. It is done and, at least it wasn't a dessert or pasta dish.