Old 08-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #61  

I will be going to PF Changs next week for my sisters birthday. If I get the gluten free Moo Goo Gai Pan do I have to ask for it without the sauce? The nutritional values say 9 carbs per serving, 23g protein, 223 calories/serving and 10g fat/serving. This dish seemed to have the lowest count of carbs per serving. Any advice would be so appreciated!!!
Jennibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:58 AM   #62  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymooser View Post
WOW! Thats so not chinese food though. Whats the point in spending the money to go have chinese food if you can't have chinese food. The joy I get out of eating out is having food prepared for me that I can't make myself. Seems pointless. Save your money and stay home!
I guess that is our difference. For me the point is being able to still enjoy a social moment with friends and family. I can cook almost everything that can be had in a restaurant. I have made elaborate dishes because I prefer it done more to my liking and, in my opinion, better than the "made for the average" that some restaurants aim to please. It isn't about the food as much as the social time when I go out. SO, being able to relax and socialize like everyone else I am with and still get a a food that is what works for me that is fine and well worth my money.

Honestly, Americanized Chinese food has never been my thing and really does not remind me of true Chinese food that I have had. I much prefer the real thing and, it is much simpler and cleaner. I wish I could recreate some of the great sauces I had while living there. I just don't find anything really like it here.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 228/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Ideas

Thanks for the wonderful ideas.
It helps!
Ladibug7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 154/148.4/120

Height: 4'11"

Hi- have any of you experienced IPers tried dining at Chipotle? I think it might work for me...burrito in a bowl, without any cheese/guac/sour cream etc. Just meat, lettuce and salsa (not the corn one). Has anyone tried this?
MelissaAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 141/141/125

Height: 5 foot 8.5 inches

MelissaAS - If you try it out let me know how it goes! I've never been a huge fan of Chipotle before but I'm thinking it might be a great IP place and my friends love it.

Anyone know what type of seasonings Outback is using on their steaks? I ate there last night and had a filet cooked dry and veggies cooked dry. It was DELICIOUS but the paranoid side of me is now worrying maybe there was some sugar in the seasoning to get the steak to caramelize the way they do. It just tasted too good to be diet friendly!
sneuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #66  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuse View Post
MelissaAS - If you try it out let me know how it goes! I've never been a huge fan of Chipotle before but I'm thinking it might be a great IP place and my friends love it.

Anyone know what type of seasonings Outback is using on their steaks? I ate there last night and had a filet cooked dry and veggies cooked dry. It was DELICIOUS but the paranoid side of me is now worrying maybe there was some sugar in the seasoning to get the steak to caramelize the way they do. It just tasted too good to be diet friendly!
I found out before I ordered there that they do put butter on their steak.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #67  

Dana - They do but I asked them to leave it off... they didn't use butter or oil on anything. At least I thought about that!

It's just the seasoning that I'm concerned about. I guess I was so worried about the butter/oil that it never dawned on me to ask about sugar use.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #68  

Turns out they use sugar in their veggie seasoning and the woman I spoke with said it might even be in the steak seasoning. Ugh I feel like crying I'm so frustrated I've been working so hard and feel like I keep screwing it up with stupid choices!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #69  

OMG! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST! This is my first week and tonight is date night. My boy friend has been supportive the whole week but I know he thinks we can't go out b/c it will be hard for me to order! This throws that RIGHT out the window!
Bunncakes overweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
I found out before I ordered there that they do put butter on their steak.
One of the tricks I learned in a cooking class that restaurant chefs routinely do is sear a steak, then put a pat of butter on the steak and finish it off in the oven. Pretty sneaky stuff.
LosingLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'3

Thumbs up Thank you!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical Mamma View Post
Hi! Here is my 2 cents on the subject! My hubby and I have date night every Friday! This means going out for a nice dinner and then a movie, or theatre etc. We have managed to still have this weekly treat while on the plan by tweaking how I order my food. I start my ordering a pitcher of ice water with lime wedges. I always ask for my meat to be dry cooked, no added oils or fat, and instead of the potatoe or rice I ask for a double serving of the steamed vegetable with no oil or butter. Some restaurants may give you a hard time with the veggies. Say they are serving carrots - but you can't have them. However if you know they have broccoli or asparagus available, explain that you cannot eat the carrots, and they will assume it is due to an allergy and grant your request. I always try to go to a restaurant that has a salad bar. That is very helpful when everyone else is having an appetizer! If not, then order a side salad with oil and vinegar on the side. I actually bring in my own dressing and bbq sauce to the restaurant to add to my meal! If anyone ever questions me, I explain that I have various food intolerances or restrictions and must supply my own compatible items. Haven't had anyone give me a hard time about it yet! If you are unsure if the item has cream, sugars, starch etc, then ask the server. They should have a list of ingredients available in the kitchen to double check for you!

Good luck! Just remember to be creative and have fun with it!

Kris
I am SUPER excited about this! And I recently learned about Walden Farms! I carry sea salt in my purse and take WF dressing with me to work! Thanks Kris for the awesome info!
Ticia
Ticiabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #72  
- 15lbs and counting!

S/C/G: 183.6/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

This is awesome info....thanks! The WF dressings have been great. Once I forgot to take them to a restaurant, so I squeezed a lemon on salad with a drizzle of olive oil and some pepper...SO good and my coach said it's okay. I love it more than dressing now!
sangria12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #73  
~John Wayne~ On:6/21/2012

Height: 5'4"

Default Resturant Menu for IP - Ruffino's Italian Resturant

A friend of mine at work told me about Ruffino's (Italian place here) had a menu specifically for the IP. My buddies wife is on IP. I looked at the places website and did not see their IP Menu so I sent them a message.

And just look at what they sent me.....WOW Can't wait to go!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RuffinoMenu.pdf (57.5 KB, 171 views)
jwdesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #74  
Started IP 12 Apr 12

S/C/G: 270/179/170

Height: 5'4

Great thread, wish I would have seen it last month.
shathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #75  
Started IP 7/20/2012

S/C/G: 250.4/???/155

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaAS View Post
Hi- have any of you experienced IPers tried dining at Chipotle? I think it might work for me...burrito in a bowl, without any cheese/guac/sour cream etc. Just meat, lettuce and salsa (not the corn one). Has anyone tried this?
My coach recommended Chipotle as a good place to eat out at. Get the salad, add fajita veggies, your choice of meat (I get the chicken) and top with your favorite salsa (not the one with corn). When I took it home, I added some Walden Farms thousand island dressing and it was totally OP and really yummy!

Before I started IP, we ate out very often, sometimes 3 to 5 nights a week, which no doubt contributed to my weight. When I started IP, I told my husband that we couldn't go out to eat for a long time because I didn't want to go off plan. I knew it was going to be hard because not only did we go out with my immediate family (husband and kids), we also seem to frequently go out with extended family on both sides for one occasion or another. I was very nervous about what I was going to do when these occasions came up, but when I talked to my coach about it she gave me some great ideas. Chipotle, Qdoba, Garbonzo's are great ideas for "faster" food type places. For sit-down restaurants, steakhouses like Outback and Texas Roadhouse are great, as well as places like Red Lobster, Applebees and Red Robin. You just have to ask a lot of questions on how things are prepared and order your food to be prepared to your specifications. Most restaurants are very accommodating. I've gone out a few times in the month that I've been on IP and always get my food exactly the way I want it.

So now I've decided that we can go out to dinner once a week. I always plan a place where I know there are options for me and usually bring my individual WF salad dressing with me. I'll order my protein, like a grilled chicken breast or lean cut of steak, without any added oils or butter, a salad without cheese/croutons/bacon/carrots/dressing etc., and steamed veggies without added oil or butter. It's something that I now look forward to and also feel very much in control.

One of my favorite sushi restaurants has low-carb rolls. Instead of wrapped in rice, the rolls are wrapped in cucumbers! They are so good! So I'll order one of those and some sashimi and I don't feel deprived (sushi is one of my favorite things to eat out). I get a salad (plain lettuce), add my own dressing and I have a great meal.

What are some of your favorite places that you have found that you can eat out at and still stay OP?
exactor is offline   Reply With Quote