3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Restaurant guide for IP (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/201156-restaurant-guide-ip.html)

zabka 05-19-2010 05:54 PM

it depends on how long you have been doing IP the amount of impact the tomato paste will have. It might not effect you at all. Don't worry about it. It is done and, at least it wasn't a dessert or pasta dish.

showgirlaz,
thank you so much :) I guess you are right at least I didnt eat humangous pasta dish lol I've been on the diest for 8 days only, it just gets so difficult when Im feeding my 18 month old and bc of work schedule I sleep very little so Im hungry a lot

jesslev 05-24-2010 01:46 PM

What do you do when the restuarant doesn't have oil and vinegar dressing? I haven't been able to find any dressing packets to take with me.
HELP!

Leenie 05-24-2010 02:01 PM

Great thread.. I'm going to sticky it :D

showgirlaz 05-24-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zabka (Post 3299028)
showgirlaz,
thank you so much :) I guess you are right at least I didnt eat humangous pasta dish lol I've been on the diest for 8 days only, it just gets so difficult when Im feeding my 18 month old and bc of work schedule I sleep very little so Im hungry a lot

I was going to send you a PM but, your account isn't ready for that yet SO, :) about the hunger. Talk to your coach. During your first week you can easily have 4 packets a day the first 3 days and five if you need it. After that the hunger should be much more under control. IF NOT, and this may be asking for sunshine on the moon, try getting more sleep. Our sleep really effects our way to lose weight and our appetite. Lack of sleep kicks our adrenals in and a chemical is produced that causes us to be hungry. LAST, if you really need to live with little sleep, talk to your coach about adding another regular packet so that you can keep your food spaced every 3 or 4 hours while you are awake. It will help curb hunger and keep you from going into a fasting/starvation mode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesslev (Post 3305752)
What do you do when the restuarant doesn't have oil and vinegar dressing? I haven't been able to find any dressing packets to take with me.
HELP!

When a restaurant doesn't offer oil and vinegar I ask if they have oil. If yes, ask if you can get a little dish of oil (salad oil, canola oil, olive oil, sesame oil, peanut oil... OIL) and a plate of lemon wedges. If they have no oil, you can still do the lemon wedge. You can also do a small amount of salsa.

Try ordering or purchasing at your health store or grocery some of the walden farms packets of dressing. Each person finds one they like. FOR ME, I like the Italian. I can keep it in a ziplock bag and have a few in my handbag at a time. Then at a restaurant, I doctor it up with a little extra oil (if they have it), some lemon, my sea salt (I use real salt brand), and some fresh pepper. This is good too on top of steamed veggies.

My little sister found some very small container that seal tight at walmart. She makes her own dressing and carries it with her in a ziplock bag. You could do the same or you could use a similar container to keep a little oil with you. You can always find the lemon wedges! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leenie (Post 3305777)
Great thread.. I'm going to sticky it :D

Thank you! Very much appreciated!

salesgod 06-10-2010 05:58 PM

Restaurants

I've been to Outback Steakhouse a couple of times. They've been very good about the steamed broccoli with no butter, and I'm not crying over 6 oz. steaks. The salads are overpriced everywhere you go, so I usually skip it and have it later.

You can ask for no-bun at a lot of fast food restaurants, but you usually end up with a piece of meat, some lettuce and a slice of tomato and wonder why you just paid that much. If you need something fast, I recommend and of the chicken sandwiches from Carl's Jr -- no sauce or ketchup, etc. -- but you'll find that they'll transform any of their sandwiches to low-carb if you simply request it, and they're the only fast food place I know of that actually presents it as though it was a sandwich, with enough lettuce to wrap it and make a good "bun". If I go to lunch with friends, though, I typically grab their side salad (I ask if they'll make me one without carrots and cheese), and instead of dressing I use their fresh salsa (it's just tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, salt and lime juice). It's cheap and easy.

You can do the same at a Cafe Rio/Costa Vida/Bajio. Just get the salad with grilled chicken and use the pico/salsa instead of dressing. Skip everything else you can't have.

On a different note, I've found I spend a lot less money by not eating out, partly because when I do eat out it feels like a rip-off. Phase 1 is highly restrictive, there are many things you can't eat, and the longer you're on the diet, the more creative you get cooking at home. I think I make a better steak than most places, and that it's a lot cheaper. That means that I can spend that money on other things or simply saving it. Hit the movies instead of Applebees.

showgirlaz 06-10-2010 07:16 PM

Red Robin, Islands, and In- and- Out burger will also present their hamburgers/turkey/and chicken as "protein style/low carb" sandwiches. Red Robin and Islands will sub a side salad for the fries which is nice and, you can order a side of broccoli steamed no butter.

T

torchlaker 06-16-2010 11:36 AM

Another great forum...(can you see I am lurking instead of cleaning). Summer always presents problems for me. Tonight we are eating at the bar for bike night...think I will order a burger ..no bun. Tomorrow is more of a problem. We are going to a baseball game (not a BIG league game...In Cleveland, they used to offer salads). I thought I could take in a salad, but was told NO, a few minutes ago. Again...probably a burger with no bun (just hoping they have utensils...but I will probably just try to bring my own)...any other ideas for these "motorcycle" nights and baseball? (looks like i will be doing a lot of that this summer).

Showgirlaz....that was an amazing post about how to eat in restaurants. It is pretty much what I did when I was on IP before, but you just refreshed my memory. Thanx for that.

Rocky Monarch 06-16-2010 02:53 PM

We have a chain called "Mongolian Grill" and I've seen something similar under other names (Chang's Mongolian, Mongolian bbq). Its like a giant salad bar with meats, veggies, etc. You make up a bowl of what you want and they stir fry it in front of you. You pick all your own "toppings" from lime juice to 4 different kinds of oil, etc. So you know EXACTLY what you are getting. And it's really good! The only danger: it IS all you can eat, so keep track of when you hit your limits!

salesgod 06-17-2010 12:48 PM

I've thought about trying a Mongolian grill, just haven't pulled the trigger. That's a great idea.

I've asked Carl's Jr. on two occasions if they would make me a fresh side salad ($1.69) without the cheese and carrots. They've had no problem doing that. It takes a bit longer, but I'll wait. And I top it with their pico (tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro).

Going out to eat is getting old...

showgirlaz 06-17-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch (Post 3344480)
We have a chain called "Mongolian Grill" and I've seen something similar under other names (Chang's Mongolian, Mongolian bbq). Its like a giant salad bar with meats, veggies, etc. You make up a bowl of what you want and they stir fry it in front of you. You pick all your own "toppings" from lime juice to 4 different kinds of oil, etc. So you know EXACTLY what you are getting. And it's really good! The only danger: it IS all you can eat, so keep track of when you hit your limits!

I completely agree! Mongolian has been really easy for me to eat out! Here in the Phoenix area I am aware of YC's Mongolian, Genghis Khan Mongolian, Mu Shu and Lai Lai. They are pretty much spread all over the Phoenix metro area. :) That makes it easy depending on where I might be meeting friends for a bite to eat! I think my top favorites are Genghis Khan and YC's because they offer the best selection of vegetables and proteins and they have many "simple" sauce ingredients like: Lemon or lime juice, vinegar, sesame, peanut, or canola oils, garlic, ginger, 5 spice or curry without added sugar, AND, they don't use MSG! :) I am allergic so it is one of the first things I check for in a restaurant, ANY restaurant! I try to eat small portions but, I must admit, it is HARD when the food is so tasty!

Quote:

Originally Posted by torchlaker (Post 3344079)
Another great forum...(can you see I am lurking instead of cleaning). Summer always presents problems for me. Tonight we are eating at the bar for bike night...think I will order a burger ..no bun. Tomorrow is more of a problem. We are going to a baseball game (not a BIG league game...In Cleveland, they used to offer salads). I thought I could take in a salad, but was told NO, a few minutes ago. Again...probably a burger with no bun (just hoping they have utensils...but I will probably just try to bring my own)...any other ideas for these "motorcycle" nights and baseball? (looks like i will be doing a lot of that this summer).

Showgirlaz....that was an amazing post about how to eat in restaurants. It is pretty much what I did when I was on IP before, but you just refreshed my memory. Thanx for that.

Thank you! :) I need to go back and read some of my early notes. Once you get comfortable, which is easy to do after months on the program ;), it is too easy to relax how you eat! I must admit, I was lurking on these boards a week or so before I started IP and followed a lot of the advice you gave between November and January. Thank you for all the good points you shared during that time.

What are motorcycle nights and what do they include/involve? Do you always eat in a bar location? For the baseball games, is it a minors game or local league? Do they have a website of what is offered in the concession stand?

I like going to the baseball games at our spring training and at our Diamondbacks Ball park. They also sell salads and veggie trays. I wish more people realized SOME of us out here are willing to buy healthy food.

In the absence of the available foods, and if you can't discreetly sneak stuff in, (probably shouldn't say that :o) , the only suggestions I have are to eat the pickles, hot dogs or hamburgers minus the buns.

At the bars, I have been able to get a grilled chicken breast and a caesar salad with my own dressing, hamburger protein style or minus bun, sometimes even steamed veggies.

Marionm 07-22-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by showgirlaz (Post 3281802)
I completely agree with Kris (mystical mama). I keep a "eating out kit" in my bag. I bought a gift card tin case, like you use to "wrap" and give a gift card, and in the tin I keep 2 packets of the walden food dressing to go (italian works best for me.. I add a little extra olive oil, and lemon juice or white vinegar, salt and pepper to it add the table). I also have a second tin that has a few packets of stevia sweetner, a small ziploc medicine/pill baggie of real salt/sea salt, and my essential enzymes. I keep all of this in an bag, like a cosmetics bag but large, along with 2 spare IP packets of protein drinks and a few tea bags I like. It is in my handbag or travel/shopping bag all the time. I am rarely without water or where I can buy it so, I don't ever get stuck starving or wanting to cheat. I can grab and IP drink anywhere.

I really like this idea of a purse bag. I'm going to put that together as soon as my packets of dressing arrive. I think half of the challenge of weight loss and eating healthy is that we set ourselves up to fail by not preparing to succeed.

We were traveling this last weekend and went out to lunch two days in a row. I just ate one of the bars that I had put in my purse before we went in the restaurant and then, I ate side salads only dipping my fork in the oil and vinegar dressing before I took a bite. I was probably under on my veggies for lunch because most of it was lettuce, but I still lost weight and with this being so early in the program I didn't want to chance trying to get Olive Garden to steam some veggies.

Kristiv88 08-24-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch (Post 3344480)

Ohhh..this is such a treat! I've gone to the Mongolian BBQ here a couple times while on IP and it's been great! I always start out with a salad, then it's off to make my pile of goodness! Chicken, bean spouts, mushrooms, broccoli, a few peas. Then I add ginger powder, hot pepper flakes, and a LITTLE soy or Mongolian Ginger. (I know it's a bit of a cheat but then I know I have to be careful then next couple days.)

They will also bring you lettuce so you can make lettuce wraps instead of bringing tortillas or rice. So so good!!! :carrot:

IdivorcedBenandJerry 08-25-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristiv88 (Post 3451088)
Ohhh..this is such a treat! I've gone to the Mongolian BBQ here a couple times while on IP and it's been great! I always start out with a salad, then it's off to make my pile of goodness! Chicken, bean spouts, mushrooms, broccoli, a few peas. Then I add ginger powder, hot pepper flakes, and a LITTLE soy or Mongolian Ginger. (I know it's a bit of a cheat but then I know I have to be careful then next couple days.)

They will also bring you lettuce so you can make lettuce wraps instead of bringing tortillas or rice. So so good!!! :carrot:

Thanks for these Mongolian Grill ideas! What a great tip. I'm excited to try one out

Rocky Monarch 09-03-2010 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdivorcedBenandJerry (Post 3452876)
Thanks for these Mongolian Grill ideas! What a great tip. I'm excited to try one out

Just an update: I went to another "version" of the mongolian bbq while in MN a couple weeks ago and (unlike the one in Portland), saw that they were adding some other "sauce" to it while cooking. I asked what was in it, and it turns out to be SUGAR WATER! So, I asked them to cook mine without.. Well, they must get a lot of special diet things (like gluten free, or no peanuts) because it turns out they have a whole process for cleaning the grill with boiling water and scraping it down (twice) and then they cooked mine separately from all other orders. I was SOOOO impressed!! So, still my fave place to eat out, but I know now that even though they are "related" you need to still watch what you are getting.

MotherDuckMJ 09-12-2010 11:10 PM

Qdoba Mexican Grill ended up being a great place for eating out on IP. They will make you a salad without the taco shell, they will stir fry vegies for you in a little oil to put on your lettuce and then you can have them add some chicken to the salad as well for a fantastic fajita salad. Instead of dressing I just squeezed a couple lemon slices onto the salad and my IP salt I brought with me. There are other Mexi bar type places like this (you go through them like a subway) I'm guessing they might work well in a similar fashion.