Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 232/168/150

Height: 5'5"

DK- Thanks for the inspiring post. The only nerve you struck with me is the one that wants me to feel sorry for myself. Not anymore, focus, focus, focus, and WIN!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 261.8/201.6/185

Height: 5'4.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
(now entering research mode!)

Well, from a medically supported opinion you may want to use this link to the government site of national institute of health. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...t-fishoil.html
You will see from the report card they generate that only 3 areas have been strongly proven and several others have some link, and a huge number are undetermined. Regarding the undetermined info you can read the following:
A 2005 study in the Journal of Lipid Research discovered that EPA can help block the release of the UV-induced enzymes that eat away at our collagen, causing lines and sagging skin. Because EPA is both an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory agent, it can protect against sun damage and help repair it. (according to Doris Day, MD, is a dermatologist and professor at NYU Medical School. on http://living.health.com/2009/03/26/...plements-skin/)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/86...nefits-omega-/

http://www.fishoilbenefit.net/
“Most of the recent searches regarding fish oil benefit to the heart diseases has proved the importance of omega 3 fatty acids in protection against the heart diseases. The recent study of American Dietetic Association revealed the factor that these acids are very effective to reduce the fatty deposits in arteries.

The consumption of fish oil reduces the chances of all forms of cancer including breast, colon and prostate. The fatty acids found in the fish oil is quite helpful to stop the development of cancerous mass from quite a healthy cell, it inhibits the unwanted growth of cell and causes apoptosis or death or cancer cells.

The fish oil has very significance in preventing the pregnancy complication like premature delivery and low birth weight. The consumption of fish oil during pregnancy reduce allergy in the newborns, help in development of brain and reduce risk of post partum depression. It is better to take fish oil during the period of pregnancy.

The fish oil is very effective for the eyesight. It not only improves the eyesight but also decrease the dryness in the eyes. The fish oil helps to stop the eyesight decline with the increasing age.

The fish oil is very effective to prevent all types of depression including the schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, ADHD and anger caused depression. It is also helpful in treatment of the Huntington’s disease.

The fish oil is found effective in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, systemic lupus and other inflammatory conditions.

The recent scientific studies recognized the role of fish oil in weight regulation, it reduces craving caused by the fatty foods.

These are the most significant fish oil benefits. Fish oil not only reduces the risk of a number of incurable diseases but is also very helpful nutritional supplement. Eating fish is the basic way for the body to get enough fatty acids but if you want to get more, than try to get fish oil benefits directly from the fish oil that is extracted from the cold water fishes as its benefits are bigger and it is easer to digest.”

The Dermatology Times published an article containing the promises the fish oil and its many ways in combating the skin deterioration. For example, fish oil minimizes the effects of environmental contaminants that may damage the skin. The fatty acid in fish oil called EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) bolsters the skin’s defenses against the harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun. This is of major importance, considering that skin cancer and sagging are attributed to exposure to the sun.

http://healthyomega3.com/
http://www.fishoilblog.com/benefits/...l-benefits.php
http://www.fishoilblog.com/benefits/...-to-choose.php

The health benefits of fish oil include its ability to aid in treatment of heart diseases, high cholesterol, depression, anxiety, AHDH, low immunity, cancer, diabetes, inflammation, arthritis, IBD, AIDS, Alzheimer’s disease, eye disorders, macular degeneration and ulcers. It is helps in weight loss, pregnancy, fertility and skin care (particular for disorders such as psoriasis, acne).
Most of the these health benefits of fish oil can be attributed to the presence of Omega 3 essential fatty acids such as Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Other useful essential fatty acids include Alpha-linolenic acid or ALA and Gamma-linolenic acid or GLA.
Please open the link below for a more detailed and specific breakdown of thee above benefits.
http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-...-fish-oil.html

Additional searches could be done on: omega 3 6 9 (all as one or as 3 individual searches) ,Linoleic acid (LA), alpha linolenic acid (ALA), gamma linolenic acid (GLA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), fish oil, vitamin F benefits and deficiencies, a Wikipedia search of omega 3, omega 6, and omega 9 reveals basic chemistry information and some references worth a peek.

Hope that helps some.
Thank you so much for taking the time to do your research! I really appreciate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
I had avery sad thing happen last night, we have two indoor cats and one of them escaped without us realizing it. We got a call from our neighbour telling us that Zoe was under his patio and looked really sick.

We ran outside and got her, and she wasn't moving and she was taking these short laboured breaths, we couldn't see anything physically wrong with her but we think she either got poisoned from getting in to something or maybe run over.

My husband rushed her to the emergancy vet, but being that it's an hour and a bits drive from where we live and she died about 10 minutes before he got to the vet.

I know it's not diet releated but it's on my mind.
So sorry to hear of your loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom22 View Post
thanks for the nice comments chicks! It's going to be a long one so settle in - I love to share - that's what this site is about - I don't post often but I do read and catch up fairly regularily. I follow your stories, experiences, successes, weddings, birthdays, marital challenges, searches for protein options, vacations and weight struggles. Personally I love to hear about it all and wouldn't dream of suggesting that we only talk about IP on this forum. Those discussions are what make us real people who are dealing with real lives and all that entails.

I weighed 200 lbs when I started - and didn't even know what to set my goal weight at - would this diet work, could i stay on it, could i afford it - i pulled 160 out of the air - wowee if I could weigh 160 I'd be in heaven! As i got into the diet and realized i could do it - even if only 1 pound at a time - and as i got closer to 160, i changed my goal weight to a goal size. I wanted to go into a store and try on size 10 and have them fit. And at 160 I wasn't ready - still wanted to look better - who knew that my dream weight wasn't low enough - human nature to want more I guess. I dropped my goal weight to 150 and when i lost 45 lbs i reminded my counsellor that i was at 90% and I moved to Phase 2.

I got the naysayers, people who told me I'd gain it all back, those who told me i was getting too skinny (are you kidding!) and ones who couldn't deal with me changing (my sister is the worst - I think it's part of the roles we're supposed to play within families and I'm supposed to be the fat sister - she's supposed to be the thin one) - but you do get the nicest compliments which more than offsets those negative ones - and you get to buy new clothes (and shoes too).

I did Phase 2 for 2 weeks and continued to lose. Phase 2 isn't a lot different - instead of protein packet at lunch, eat protein. I was also ready to move on - I was having a hard time staying motivated and really just ready - this "funk" seemed more serious than before when I just struggled for a day or two - i needed to take a break but didn't want to gain. I moved to Phase 3 for a couple of weeks and loved it. Finally I could eat fruit, have a slice of bread... Continued to lose and moved to maintenance at 150.3. Wanted to hit 150 but whatever. As I said in an earlier post, I had a blowout weekend but did Phase 1 (not IP packets but the Dr. Tran Unbalanced diet protocal which IP was developed around) yesterday and watched what I ate - weighed 145 this morning - so it works.

I really watch labels and have changed my food buying - I have peanut butter but it's no salt/no sugar, i eat bread but it's 12 grain, pasta but the Smart Pasta that's whole grain, etc. Drinks - no beer - but vodka, sparkling perrier, splash of diet ginger ale and squirt of lemon. It's a lifestyle change really. Works for me - it will work for you chicks too.
It sounds like you have done great on this. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplains wifey View Post
Had my weigh i this morning and lost 5 lbs from last weeks weigh in ! I went to the store and bought me some new jeans today . I can not beleive it but Im into a size 12 ! thats huge for me . I was in a size 20 when I started this diet 14 weeks ago ! Rejoicing ! Only 8 more days till my hubby is home too !
Your hubby is going to be blown away when he realizes how much you have lost. Didn't you say you quit telling him at 30 or 35 lbs? I can not wait to read about his reaction!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
I got the following information from the 4-page IP handout on Omega 3. You could probably get a copy of the entire handout from your IP coach.

Health problems directly linked to Omega 3 deficiencies are:
. Cardiovascular diseases, hypercholesterolemia, atherosclerosis
. Cerebral vascular accidents.
. Crohn's disease, constipation
. Diabetes
. Cancer, allergies, asthma
. Chronic fatigue
. Depression, hyperactivity, anxiety, multiple sclerosis
. Rheumatoid arthritis
. Aging, acne, eczema, psoriasis
. PMS, menstrual cramps, vaginal dryness and thinning of thge vaginal wall, itchiness, benign prostate hypertrophy
. Dry skin

In a study published in the British Journal of Dermatology, fish oil was said to meaningfully improve: dermatitis, acne, eczema and psoriasis. The study reveals a clear reduction of itching, redness and desquamation of the skin. Moreover, fish oil prevents dry, chapped skin, scalp rashes and dry and splitting nails.
Thanks for the info. I do not have a coach so I spend a LOT of time cruising here. I LOVE this site!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post
can you swap out your Coping mechanism for something more constructive...like walking it off? Yoga? Meditation? I just think those wold help you think things through a bit better AND get you on the path to health.

You can create a habit you know, it takes about 21 days, to make or break a habit.

Here some tips to do so I found...and it is long so my apologies in advance

STEP 1.

The first step in breaking old habits is deciding what new
habits you want to create with your life energy. Start asking
yourself these questions:

* What do you want your life to look like?

* What habits do you need to eliminate?

* What positive habits do you need to develop to make your
life look like you want it to look?

These desires must be realistic and obtainable. What is your
intuition telling you about what you should be doing?

Listening to your intuition is one of the most intelligent
things you can ever do with your life energy. Your intuition
always guides you in the direction that is perfect for you. It
is that small voice that is not affected by egos, past
failures, or other people?s opinions. It is your inner guiding
light.

In your journal, keep notes on what your intuition tells you
about the strategies and the resources that might empower you.

STEP 2.

Crystallize your thinking. Determine what specific goals
you want to achieve.

What habits are you letting go?
What habits are you creating in place of the old ones?

Your goals need to be specific, measurable, and realistic.

To do this you'll have to avoid nebulous thinking, such as "I
want to lose weight." What does that really mean? For your
subconscious mind to be able to serve you it must receive very
specific directions.

STEP 3.

Develop a sincere desire for the things you want.

Desire is the starting point for all achievement. It's the
greatest motivator of every human action.

Frequently, your mind is more motivated by pictures and
visualization than it is with words and written exercises. The
right side of your brain is where your creativity comes from,
and it thrives on pictures. Many times the right side of your
brain takes precedence over the left side, which thrives on
words. In the past, you may have just written words down to
reach your goals. Add this new dimension to your process.

Draw, cut out pictures, or take photographs of what you want
in life. Put pictures up on your refrigerator, your bathroom
mirror, or any place that will remind your subconscious mind
of your desires to reinforce your goal.

Every thought you have uses electrical energy to imprint a new
picture in your subconscious mind. The efforts of your
subconscious mind are to match the pictures in your mind with
reality.

The more you deliberately plant pictures of what you want, the
faster you will attract it into your life. It's very important
that you allow yourself to fantasize about what you want in
your life - let your imagination run wild!

To achieve what it is you want in life, you must think about
it. There are no limits except those we put on ourselves. This
is your life and you will be cheating yourself if you don't go
for what you want! You must feel your success before you can
manifest it in reality.

STEP 4.

Develop a plan for achieving your goal, and a deadline for its
attainment. The difference between a "wish" and a "goal" is
that the goal is written down. Once you have a clear picture
of what you want in life, your subconscious and conscious mind
can work together to achieve it.

When you prioritize and focus you can literally see what you
want; this gives you the power of concentration. Deliberate
concentration is like a laser beam - it can cut through any
obstacles in your path.

STEP 5.

Distinguish between goals and activities. A goal is the specific
end result you want to manifest in your life. Activities are those
things you do to achieve your goals.

Use the skill of awareness, and remember the goal. Don't get
stuck in the activities.

STEP 6.

Create deadlines for your goals.
Without deadlines your brain doesn't have a clear picture of
what you want created. Deadlines have a magical way of
motivating us to produce results.

First write your *one-year* goals on paper, then write down
all the activities you will have to do to reach each goal.

Start by asking yourself what is the very first activity I
must do to get started on this goal? Then write down each
following activity that will take you closer to the one year
goal.

STEP 7.

Break down the activities for each goal into 3 month groups

Ask yourself "What are the activities I must do in the first
three months to achieve my goal?" Write those down.

Then think about the activities you'll need to follow up in
the following three months. By breaking down the goals into
manageable, bite-size pieces, you'll feel more in control.

The secret is that this divide-and-conquer approach keeps
achieving your goals from becoming overwhelmingly complicated.

STEP 8.

Make YOUR goals YOURS.

Time for a reality check. Don't set a goal for yourself that
your spouse (or anyone else for that matter) wants for you.

Please revise your current goals to ensure they REALLY meet
YOUR needs, not someone else's desires for you. You will never
be successful achieving goals that are not motivated by your
own desires.

Moreover, don't compare your goals with other people's goals -
you'll always come up short. The reality is that we usually
compare our worst traits with someone else's best traits and
we can never win that way.

Let's recap these 8 goal setting steps...

* Step 1. Set realistic and obtainable habits you want to
create with your life energy.

* Step 2. Crystallize your thinking. Determine what *specific*
goals you want to achieve.

* Step 3. Develop a sincere desire for the things you want.

* Step 4. Develop a plan for achieving your goal, and a
deadline for its attainment.

* Step 5. Distinguish between goals and activities.

* Step 6. Create deadlines for your goals.

STEP 9.

Write your goals as if they have already occurred.

Try writing, "I now weigh ______" not
"I want to weigh ______".

This helps your subconscious mind to see the end result.

STEP 10.

Develop confidence in yourself and your abilities.

Stay "sold on yourself". Here are some techniques you can
use...

* Listen to motivational CDs and tapes daily in your car or
while commuting.

* Do your declarations daily, and control your self-talk.

* Tackle every activity without giving any recognition to the
possibility of defeat.

* Focus on your strengths instead of your weaknesses.

* Recognize and honor your personal point of power found in
this moment.

* Develop a determination to follow through on your goals
regardless of obstacles, circumstances, or criticism.

STEP 11.

Review your goals monthly.

The first day of the month is the perfect time to set up a
ritual goal-reviewing. This should be the time that you can be
honest with yourself on what goals you are really committed to
and how you can improve your strategies. You must also be
honest with yourself on what goals are only paper dreams if
you aren't really going to pay the price to achieve them.

STEP 12.

Have PERSISTENCE.

Persistence is the real key to successful goal achievement.
Don't allow yourself to become distracted with excuses about
why things can't be done. Excuses are the enemies of goal
achievement.

***now my 2 cents****

We need to accept and realize that nothing happens TO us but rather FOR us. We create our lives with each and every choice WE make. Sadly we don't seem to learn from the experiences of others and like to hit our heads against the wall over and over again, but only WE ourselves know when enough is enough.

Breaking a habit or a "pattern" is not an easy thing but it is the only way to move forward and not be STUCK in the past. We need to honestly sit down and take inventory of what our life looks like today and what we really want it to look like for us and MAKE THE CHANGE. The longer we take at that "pattern" or habit, the harder it will be to break it so... my only thing is we are responsible for our own choices. Remember the definition of insanity? to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

I've had my fair share of "Patterns" and habits that I needed to break and luckily was able to before I did something terribly stupid...because yes, you do start to lose your mind!

How did I want my life to be? How did I want to be treated? etc... all very valid questions and that allowed me to finally move forward and LOVE myself (no wonder I didn't feel the love... why would anyone love me if I didn't love myself?) Now I appreciate who I am, and enjoy my own company... I'm not afraid any more! People come and go into our lives but the only constant we will ALWAYS have is OURSELVES so we better put ourselves first! No, not selfish. Think about it this way... it's like on an airplane when you hear them explaining about the oxygen mask "place it on yourself before assisting others"...YES, because otherwise you will be of no use to help others as you will be passed out! Life works the same way.

Every person that comes into our lives has been brought in by US, and we do so to learn some lesson... until we "get it" we keep falling back into the same old habits. Then we sit there and continue to say "he did this to me" or She said THAT to me" well guess what... YOU have and continue to bring that in and allow the bad energy around you. When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at will change! Focus on YOU and I promise you things will begin to flow.

I had to finally put me first and allow myself to let go of people that truly were not serving me on my path to success. You know, you always have those people that will DRAIN you and yet, we want to be nice, blah blah blah... Doesn't work! you are not doing anyone a favor by keeping them in your life like that. Everyone has a different path and we all grow in different ways... it's nature! Allow yourself and them to move on because I assure you they too need to move on.

When I finally focused on me amazing things started to flow into my life. I still fall back now and again into the old habit of "if it sounds too good to be true..." but guess what? It IS true and we deserve it.

Now please, think about all of this and the many things that you feel could be better in your life... what are you going to do about it? and stop looking to others for excuses... it is YOU time... no one else. YOU be happy, YOU take control, and YOU create your amazingly beautiful life today because it is there for you... you just keep looking at the weeds in the garden instead of the AMAZING blooms that are everywhere...now why would you do that? ENJOY THE FLOWERS!
I love this!! If you don't mind, I would like to print this off and use it in some of my cognitive restructuring classes. I think you must be one amazing person! You are so supportive and helpful...like Jordana, you'd make a great coach!!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #108  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplains wifey View Post
Had my weigh i this morning and lost 5 lbs from last weeks weigh in ! I went to the store and bought me some new jeans today . I can not beleive it but Im into a size 12 ! thats huge for me . I was in a size 20 when I started this diet 14 weeks ago ! Rejoicing ! Only 8 more days till my hubby is home too !
GREAT JOB!!! I bet you are excited to see your husband on so many levels - to show off and because you've missed him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
I had avery sad thing happen last night, we have two indoor cats and one of them escaped without us realizing it. We got a call from our neighbour telling us that Zoe was under his patio and looked really sick. My husband rushed her to the emergancy vet, but being that it's an hour and a bits drive from where we live and she died about 10 minutes before he got to the vet.
I am SOOO sorry. Just reading this made me cry. My pets, cats and dogs, are so much a part of my life. I am so sorry for you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdadozer View Post
I ended up with a nasty flu bug and have been sick the last two days. I couldn't stomach my IP food and didn't get any of my veggies in and not near the water I wanted. I feel like I'm starting all over again today.
I have been there! Got a very bad respiratory cold around week 8. Went completely out of ketosis and literally had to start again. It is a challenge but you can do it. Keep trying! We are here for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerinb View Post
anyone have an idea what i should expect at my first weigh in? i weighed in at 192 last wednesday and i'm not sure if i should expect an awesome 6 or 7 lb loss like some of you gals have had or more like a 2-3 lb loss. i am very tall and have a lot of muscle but my baby gut(had 2 babies in the last 4 years), cellulite and my saddlebags went crazy and out of my comfor zone this past year.

anyone who started around my weight remember what their first week's loss was?

thanks y'all!(I'm from Texas and yes we say y'all a LOT)
It varies a lot. Partially it depends on how your body stored "carbs" the more issues it had, the more glycogen you have the more water weight you can drop. The farther you are from goal the more it will drop off. You could very easily see from 4 to 8 pounds the first week. I think we have a thread running that is called first week losses or something like that. It seems several have been posting to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitakitten View Post
speaking of mistakes I just had steamed squash and no idea if its allowed or not, I figured its zucchini but yellow so it should be anyone out there know?
You will do great on friday! I understand the doubt/worry. I still have it from time to time but it was strongest in the beginning.

For all those wondering about summer squash/yellow squash/crooked neck being allowed on the plan:

summer squash all varities – yellow, banana, crookneck, straightneck
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2749/2
1cup cooked is 8g carb 3g fiber NET CARB 5g

Zucchini squash (another summer squash variety)
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2640/2
1 cup cooked is 7g carb 3g fiber NET CARB 4g

There is a very negligible difference in the summer squash. There is NO difference in sugar content when cooked. According to my regional, there are too many veggies (thousands) to put on a handout. If it is like zucchini in nutrition and glycemic level (they are the same) then, either type is usable. I have used it from the beginning. And, I have even had several weeks with 6 or 8 pound losses on the same week I included it in my plan. I eat about 1 to 1-1/2 c a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelliemom View Post
Since I've been following this forum for a few weeks now, I figured I should jump in and introduce myself. I started IP about 5 weeks ago and so far have lost 19 pounds! I am loving this diet! I have so much more energy now which is great since I have 4 kids. I've really enjoyed reading this forum and have gotten so many good tips from here. IP is new in my area and I'm the 2nd person that my chiro had start, so it's brand new to all of us! Anyways, I just wanted to get the big intro out of the way and look forward to reading and posting more!
WELCOME!! And congrats on the weight loss! You are definitely going strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicyn View Post
I had a new challenge this weekend. I worked a 30 hour straight shift in the hospital (do this about every other week). I starved! Any suggestions for swapping things up or what you find more filling. My only cheat was a 8 count nugget from Chic Fil A...
Talk to your coach about the extended schedule. They may want you to add another meal or/and snack on days you are UP/RUNNING 30 hrs straight. Ideally you don't want to stop the metabolism so, You should keep going as if you don't stop to sleep.
It might look something like: up 6am within .5 to 1.5 hrs eat breakfast wait 2 hrs eats veggies, wait 2 - 3 hrs eat salad and lunch protein, wait 3 hours eat veggies, wait 3 hours eat dinner protein and salad, wait 3 hours have pm protein snack, wait 4 to 5 hours have another protein shake, 3 hours have veggies, 2 -3 hrs have lunch protein and salad/veggies, 3 hours have salad, 2 -3 hours have dinner protein and veggies, wait 1.5 to 3 hours have your pm snack and GO HOME TO SLEEP! Get plenty of water, stay well hydrate when you are up so long. The eating times are like this if you started in the am and ran a 30 hour shift. (730a, 930a, 1230p, 4p, 7p, 10p, 2a -3a, 6a, 8 - 9a, 12noon, 2-3 pm, 330p -6pm.) Make the modification to the start time if it is and afternoon or pm start time and then adjust everything down line accordingly.

We eat the way we do to keep the metabolism running. We fast at night because we sleep and are inactive but, we have the snack late to prevent us from falling out of the metabolic state overnight. If you are constantly working, MY OPINION, is adjust your food to fit your day. When you sleep you won't eat and you will shift your schedule accordingly for those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieG View Post
WI update: -3lbs... Not as good as expected but still, I'll take it! Let's move to friday's WI for 20 by June 1st challenge!!
YEAH!!! Be proud of that 3! It keeps you moving, on target, and right with the average!

Last edited by showgirlaz; 04-27-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #109  

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocola View Post
So after a bad food weekend, I jumped back on track. Then today I get this horrendous review at work (feeling like a big loser- no raise in pay that we desperately needed), so I came home and ate my way thru the pantry. That's my problem. Not going off IP to have a 'meal', but going to the way other extreme. I cant believe I'm ruining all the hard work I've done! I can't gain this weight back. But I have no coping skills..food is the only thing I know! I wish there was an 'off' switch in my brain to stop me from eating! I think I need serious help!
So sorry to hear about the rough week. I am a bit of an emotional eater myself. I have been more aware of it on this program. NOTHING makes me want to EAT then having a situation fall apart. On this, I realize I am having to make the choice to eat before I cheat. NOT easy and I too have wanted to cave 100% and stuff my face.. Hard not to do when the girl scout cookies are staring up at you from a box!

Realize you are learning how to do this. Become aware of how you use food in all its ways. Changing what you eat is a part of our battle but you must also change how you manage your body's response to stress. Eating tackles that stress from a chemical angle. Not bad short term but AWFUL long term. Basically, your body needs more serotonin or testosterone to combat the adrenal push or the brain chemistry change you experienced. Another option is your cortisol gets pushed in a stress situation, is balanced by insulin which skyrockets, you have too not enough blood sugar, or too little to work with, you are hyperinsulinemic, you crave a food (carb or fat likely) to balance the insulin and the craving cycle has begun.

DID YOU KNOW that when you exercise your body will break down the insulin without the added available sugar? Did you know when you exercise your testosterone is slightly increased and will balance adrenal hormone activity? DID you know that with exercise cortisol is more efficiently broken down in the body? DID you know that with exercise serotonin goes up? EXERCISE when you feel stressed.

ALSO, grab a glass of water and a teaspoon of omega oil or olive oil. The oil will satisfy the brain chemistry fairly quickly and water has been proven to stop cravings EVEN in mid binge.

It won't be perfect at first. You have to retrain your habits. Even if the next time you must stop yourself in mid craving it is better than doing what you really will not like looking back at.

Keep trying, you have been doing well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie32 View Post
Hi everyone! It has been a few days since I have been on the forum so I just spent some time reading!!

I went to my 5th week weigh in and lost 4 lbs. Down a total of 29.2 lbs in five wks!! Have a great week everyone!!!!!!
Welcome back! NICE JOB on the WI!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoSun View Post
Wow, Elizabeth, that was a really good post. There is so much truth in what you said. Thanks for sharing this.

Med...I like the soup and find it really comforting for lunch. My favorite is the chicken made with low sodium chicken broth. It is very filling. I also like the premade vanilla shakes. The puddings are filling, too, but I get tired of the "sweet" in this diet. Cucumbers with sea salt and celery with WF peanut butter are both good snacks for me. You could also try hard boiled eggs. Or make deviled eggs with the WF mayo and or dijon dressing.
Great snack suggestions! Wish I liked the WF peanut butter!

[QUOTE=BlueMermaid;3267093WELCOME TO ALL THE NEWBIES. This is a great forum and someone will usually give you some great advice. If we are slow to offer advice, go searching on some of our previous weeks. You will learn lots if you can read as many of the threads as possible. [/QUOTE]

HEY THERE!!! How have you been this past week? I have been wondering as I haven't seen you as much. YOU ARE MISSED BY ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8edmama View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to do your research! I really appreciate it!!
You are so welcome! I hope it was what you needed.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #110  
Start Date Oct 26/09

S/C/G: 199/148.6/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpchamp View Post
Oops! Sorry! I just realized that we're not supposed to ask about alternatives on this thread. I'm just learning how to navigate around and hey, I'm not at all tech-savvy so.............some of you have used the site routinely and really know your way around. Not the case with me. Anyway, I'll post this on the other thread (if I can find it) and in the meantime, would appreciate any help.
don't fret about asking - after all - we're a group that shares our wedding plans, birthdays, vacations, pet pictures, marital woes, etc., etc. If we'll talk about all those life experiences, we should certainly be able to talk about protein options without having to apologize. Personally i love to hear about all those things - it's what makes us real people. And lets face it money challenges are another part of life. Those that don't want to know or find it confusing will surely be able to skim over to the next post.

I stuck close to IP for quite a while on the diet mainly so i could get the protocol down pat. The Ideal Protein foods and protein packets are based on the science developed by Dr. Tran Tien Chan - it's called the Unbalanced Diet. Check it out on his website and download his book but don't stare at his hair too long or you'll fall into a fit of the giggles. He mentions the option of using bulk protein products but does say that using protein packets will lessen boredom and therefore tend to increase success - as i recall he doesn't specifically talk about Ideal Protein products. Both Ideal Protein and Matol have Dr Tran as their diet guru.

After I had the Unbalanced diet protocol down, I did switch a couple of things around - I used liquid eggs for breakfast - substantially cheaper - 3/4 of a cup (1/2 of flavored or plain plus 1/4 of liquid egg white) vs. 1/2 cup of IP eggs gives you the same carbs, calories and protein. Cholesterol and fat free too. I still use the liquid eggs. I bought and tried some vanilla and unflavored protein powders - i used these a bit but had to work at developing meals a bit more - IP is just so darn convenient. Others have used various products with lots of success - Lindora, Newlifestyle diet, EAS shakes, all products that people have mentioned here.

If you're concerned about money, i suggest you start with IP and once you have the diet figured out - look around and figure out what works for you. To me it's the Ideal Protein way of dieting that's important - not the ideal protein packets.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #111  

Mom22, thanks for your kind and speedy response. It would be nice to be able to discuss alternative products on this thread. I totally agree that it's not so much the IP packets, especially if Dr. Tran T. Chan himself has discussed bulk protein as an option. I understand the "fixing of the pancreas" and following the IP way. Again, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #112  

Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post
I think also the issue is I am what you call a Fast Oxidizer so I NEED my fat lol

Today my Ketostix says I am between Moderate and Large
well I'm on week 7 now and getting frustrated... maybe I have not been strict enough, but I have tried my best without losing my mind (had a teaspoon of Peanut Butter the other night, so sue me!) when I get hungry enough that it hurts I just have to get something!

I love that everyone is having wonderful losses with IP, 5 and 6lbs a week... I sure as heck need a few weeks of that too!!!

I started the "no meats" thing yesterday and no change in the scale yet ...hmph > hehehe yes I am very impatient as I have a wedding to do! LOL

Maybe I wasn't heavy enough in the first place? although I've seen some of you who only wanted to lose 10 to 15 lbs get that results quick too... uh my body drives me nuts (can you tell I'm having one of those days? hahahaha)

Hope this week kicks it in the rear and gets things moving!
Elizabeth! Thanks for your great post! Also, Sweetie, I have only had 3 or 4 really high weight loss weeks like the 5,6, 8 range in 24 weeks! I also was 115 pounds overweight when I started trying to lose. I am much more likely to lose 2 or 3 and, even after having lost nearly 80 pounds, I still have almost 40 to go, you would think it could just MELT away! I know the wedding is an issue but you will be beautiful and fit that dress. You may not be at goal but you WILL fit and be gorgeous!

ALSO, about the ketosis, dark sticks?? Are you hydrated enough? Dark is usually not the goal you want. It can indicate you are becoming a little acidic too. Just think because of what you say being a fast oxidizer.
Ok, I am making a huge leap/assumption here, based on your back gound in personal training and your knowledge of your health conditions, and thinking when you say "fast oxidizer" you are talking about your inner biochemical metabolic state also know as a "sugar burner" or "glucogenic metabolizer". Am I right?? If so, you probably should NOT be doing the boot camp.
If you truly are a fast oxidizer, my understanding is, you are burning up your carbs/glucose stores very fast and your diet should have more calories & a large amount of healthy fat and oil and, proteins to balance that oxidation rate. (most fast oxidizers are recommended approx 40% pro/30% fat or more/ 30% or less carbs) When not properly balanced the body, which is prone to being acidic, can go into acidosis. In a state of acidosis the body no longer effectively burns and begins to crave again. The fat is needed to help slow the metabolism down a little bit. Problems are caused by all carbs including complex ones because your body type burns them too quickly so it means watching which you choose. Best choices are asparagus, cauliflower, celery, mushroom, and spinach. Because your body NEEDS fat and protein it will crave it to balance digestion. Best choices, for now, are olive oil, sunflower oil, a good mega 3/6/9 like UDOS or Barleans, COCONUT OIL in moderation, flax oil. You are likely craving the peanut butter because, of all the oils and nuts out their for fast oxidizers, PEANUT is the number 3 best choice for the balance of Proteins and Fats (walnut and pumpkin are better). Also, fast oxidizers need more choline, inositol, selenium, zince, copper, magnesium, and calcium. Ironically, those are all high in nuts. Best meat choices are lamb and beef because of the fat and they will break down more slowly by a fast oxidizer. My understanding is you should avoid caffeine, alcohol, onion, tomato, peppers as they all increase the metabolism/oxidation process and increase the acid state of the body.

I am wondering if, given your metabolism, you are losing more slowly because your carb level is too low?? Also, have you mapped out how much you eat, the ratios and all? What about the bootcamp?
it appears that roughly 25% of calories are from fat, 25% from carbs, and around 50% from protein if I do a sample day, picking the IP packets and foods that are highest in fat and protein and calories. That really means you are limited to the choc, vanilla, strawberry, and butterscotch puddings. Choc drink mix, pina colada, ready made vanilla or chocolate drink, and maybe the mango drink but it has no fat. You might try increasing your UDOS oil or Omega oil, maybe add some coconut oil if you want to control the hunger or fat craving. Maybe, not having that 5th IP Pkt of Protein. I have an idea that you burn food so fast that you are slowed down by 1: not enough fat and 2: not enough calories 3: protein above 45% of caloric intake. What are your thoughts??

Here is the sample day foods I worked from:

item / portion calories fat grams carb grams protein grams
choc pudding/1 pkt 110 1 3 20
milk 1oz 11 0 1 1
chicken soup 1 pkt 100 1 3 18
omelette 1pkt 110 1 3 20
choc drink mix1 crton 100 4 4 15
vanilla pudding 1 pkt 90 1 2 18
olive oil 2tsp 80 10 0 0
lemon juice 1tbsp 7 0 2 0
romaine 1cup 8 0 2 1
asparagus 1cup 40 0 8 4
spinach 1cup 41 0 7 5
broccoli 1cup 54 0 12 4
kale 1/4c 18 .5 3.5 1
cauliflower 1/4c 7 0 1.35 .5
mushroom 1/4c 22 .5 2 1.25
gr. Pepper 1/4c 9.5 0 2.25 .25
zucchini 1/4c 7.25 0 1.75 .25
egg 1 whole lrg 77 5 1 6
3 egg white large 48 0 0 12
TOTALS 939.75 24 58.85 127.25

Sorry, I can't get the column formatting to show in the post... grr. PM me if you want the spreadsheet or, quote this and view it that way. columns should be easier to read then!

Last edited by showgirlaz; 04-28-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:01 AM   #113  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom22 View Post
I stuck close to IP for quite a while on the diet mainly so i could get the protocol down pat. The Ideal Protein foods and protein packets are based on the science developed by Dr. Tran Tien Chan - it's called the Unbalanced Diet. Check it out on his website and download his book but don't stare at his hair too long or you'll fall into a fit of the giggles. He mentions the option of using bulk protein products but does say that using protein packets will lessen boredom and therefore tend to increase success - as i recall he doesn't specifically talk about Ideal Protein products. Both Ideal Protein and Matol have Dr Tran as their diet guru.

After I had the Unbalanced diet protocol down, I did switch a couple of things around - I used liquid eggs for breakfast - substantially cheaper - 3/4 of a cup (1/2 of flavored or plain plus 1/4 of liquid egg white) vs. 1/2 cup of IP eggs gives you the same carbs, calories and protein. Cholesterol and fat free too. I still use the liquid eggs. I bought and tried some vanilla and unflavored protein powders - i used these a bit but had to work at developing meals a bit more - IP is just so darn convenient. Others have used various products with lots of success - Lindora, Newlifestyle diet, EAS shakes, all products that people have mentioned here.
Hello!

can you share how long you did the IP protocol with IP before switching to an alternate "products" approach? Did you notice any change in the amount of weight you were losing per week? Was it any more challenging or difficult? Did you still go to an IP coach for weigh-in? Did you notice any other changes in your body after the switch? Were you still using IP supplements?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:01 AM   #114  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Hello!

can you share how long you did the IP protocol with IP before switching to an alternate "products" approach? Did you notice any change in the amount of weight you were losing per week? Was it any more challenging or difficult? Did you still go to an IP coach for weigh-in? Did you notice any other changes in your body after the switch? Were you still using IP supplements?

Thanks!
Yes... I'm also very interested in this subject. My sister and her husband are just getting started with IP this week. Both are retired and I'd like to give them some options that are easier on the pocketbook.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #115  

Default Hi Carla

[QUOTE=showgirlaz;

HEY THERE!!! How have you been this past week? I have been wondering as I haven't seen you as much. YOU ARE MISSED BY ME! [/QUOTE]

Hey Carla,

I have been around. It is hard to keep up just reading let alone trying to post. I know I can count on you as well as others to inspire and advise the newbies. I think this site is so helpful to everyone especially the new visitors who have many questions. I recommend this site to anyone I know doing IP. I know they can find great support and wonderful information from people like you.

I took a break from the diet 2 weeks ago and tried to be strong last week but still fell apart late in the week. I had my weigh in last night and still lost 4 pounds. I was pleasantly surprised but the 2 weeks before when I weighed I had only lost .6 lbs and had expected to lose at least 2 lbs. I think part of the 4 lbs was from before. Oh well, I will take any loss and I am oficially down 40 lbs now.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 240/227/160

Height: 5' 7"

Carla - thanks for the info! I have my WI tomorrow and will talk with the coach. I think I am going to lay out your suggestion on a spreadsheet and see what she thinks. I am a very visual person!

Yoou guys are the best! Thanks for all the support.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
HELP!! IDEAL PROTEIN WILL COST ABOUT $2000 for 90 days of Phase 1, then I'll have to continue purchasing for Phase 2, and I do not want to have to rely on purchasing such $$$$ product for an extended period of time. $$$$ is tight!! I know all of you can relate; I'm not complaining--just making a plea for some help with some questions I have. ......

Believe me, I'd love to go full force into IP but am very limited in my budget. Please, anyone, someone, everyone, let me know what you think of some of these substitutions. The key is to get substantial intake of vitamins, nutrients, salt, potassium, and other electrolytes while staying low carb (less than 40 or so) so my body will kick into ketosis, correct?? So, if I can manage the fat, carb, calories, sugars, in the products while sticking with the restricted veggie list, would this work?
Those types of substitutions have been working for me. I try to stick closer to about 20 grams of protein at breakfast, lunch, or snack, so with the 30-gram-protein Premier Nutrition powder, just use 2/3 of their serving size. Then it will be more in line with an IP packet.

Last edited by BevS; 04-28-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Oops! Sorry! I just realized that we're not supposed to ask about alternatives on this thread. I'm just learning how to navigate around and hey, I'm not at all tech-savvy so.............some of you have used the site routinely and really know your way around. Not the case with me. Anyway, I'll post this on the other thread (if I can find it) and in the meantime, would appreciate any help.
To tell you the truth, if you had posted on the alternative thread, I would not have read it. I don't have time to keep up with more than one thread, and it would be inconvenient to do so. I feel like I'm still doing the IP protocol even with my substitutions, and I have welcomed advice on this forum from those using substitutions.

By the way, Lindora is having a 25% off sale on everything today through this Friday.

Last edited by BevS; 04-28-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #119  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8edmama View Post
I love this!! If you don't mind, I would like to print this off and use it in some of my cognitive restructuring classes. I think you must be one amazing person! You are so supportive and helpful...like Jordana, you'd make a great coach!!
Go for it! Be my guest ;-)

I guess I am a coach of sorts...being a personal trainer and swimming instructor and all hehehehe

you are so sweet!

Quote:
Elizabeth! Thanks for your great post! Also, Sweetie, I have only had 3 or 4 really high weight loss weeks like the 5,6, 8 range in 24 weeks! I also was 115 pounds overweight when I started trying to lose. I am much more likely to lose 2 or 3 and, even after having lost nearly 80 pounds, I still have almost 40 to go, you would think it could just MELT away! I know the wedding is an issue but you will be beautiful and fit that dress. You may not be at goal but you WILL fit and be gorgeous!
Thank you!

I believe I should already fit in it, just want to fit better and maybe even have them take it in a bit LOL

Quote:
ALSO, about the ketosis, dark sticks?? Are you hydrated enough? Dark is usually not the goal you want. It can indicate you are becoming a little acidic too.
Not DARK purple, it's more the pinkish purple and tending to the one after that. I also drink Kangen water that helps me stay alkaline

Quote:
Just think because of what you say being a fast oxidizer.
Ok, I am making a huge leap/assumption here, based on your back gound in personal training and your knowledge of your health conditions, and thinking when you say "fast oxidizer" you are talking about your inner biochemical metabolic state also know as a "sugar burner" or "glucogenic metabolizer". Am I right??
Fast-Oxidizers
Dr. Watson found that certain foods and nutrients were good for each group and that the diet and nutrients that helped one group made the other group worse. Fast-oxidizers felt better on a diet that was high in fatty meats and low in simple carbohydrates. This diet provides fats and purines (a part of RNA and DNA) that are helpful in the processing of fats. Furthermore, fast-oxidizers functioned better using certain vitamins and minerals that are essential for the oxidation of fats. The overall result of using the diet and nutrients for fast-oxidizers is that the processing of fats is speeded up. Foods and nutrients for fast-oxidizers are shown in Table 1.

Table 1. Foods and Nutrients for Fast-Oxidizers

1. Proteins: protein foods with a high purine content such as liver, kidney and other organ meats, meat gravies and soups, herring, sardines, mussels and caviar, protein foods with a moderate purine content such as other cuts of meat, chicken, turkey, other fish and seafood, mushrooms, yeast and legumes such as lentils, beans and peanuts

2. Vegetables: purine containing vegetables such as avocado, artichoke hearts, beans, peas, lentils, cauliflower, spinach, asparagus additional vegetables such as carrots and celery

3. Starches: purine containing starches such as whole-grain breads and cereals

4. Sweets: pastries high in fat and low in flour, such as cheese cake, tortes, Danish pastries, etc.

5. Fats: lard and butter

6. Miscellaneous: avoid catchup, spicy sauces, soft drinks, coffee, tea, beer, wine, or other alcoholic beverages

7. Nutrients: Vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin B12, niacinamide, pantothenic acid, choline, inositol, citrus bioflavonoids, calcium, iodine, phosphorus, sodium and zinc

Quote:
If so, you probably should NOT be doing the boot camp.
If you truly are a fast oxidizer, my understanding is, you are burning up your carbs/glucose stores very fast and your diet should have more calories & a large amount of healthy fat and oil and, proteins to balance that oxidation rate. (most fast oxidizers are recommended approx 40% pro/30% fat or more/ 30% or less carbs) When not properly balanced the body, which is prone to being acidic, can go into acidosis. In a state of acidosis the body no longer effectively burns and begins to crave again. The fat is needed to help slow the metabolism down a little bit. Problems are caused by all carbs including complex ones because your body type burns them too quickly so it means watching which you choose. Best choices are asparagus, cauliflower, celery, mushroom, and spinach. Because your body NEEDS fat and protein it will crave it to balance digestion. Best choices, for now, are olive oil, sunflower oil, a good mega 3/6/9 like UDOS or Barleans, COCONUT OIL in moderation, flax oil. You are likely craving the peanut butter because, of all the oils and nuts out their for fast oxidizers, PEANUT is the number 3 best choice for the balance of Proteins and Fats (walnut and pumpkin are better). Also, fast oxidizers need more choline, inositol, selenium, zince, copper, magnesium, and calcium. Ironically, those are all high in nuts. Best meat choices are lamb and beef because of the fat and they will break down more slowly by a fast oxidizer. My understanding is you should avoid caffeine, alcohol, onion, tomato, peppers as they all increase the metabolism/oxidation process and increase the acid state of the body.

I am wondering if, given your metabolism, you are losing more slowly because your carb level is too low?? Also, have you mapped out how much you eat, the ratios and all? What about the bootcamp?
it appears that roughly 25% of calories are from fat, 25% from carbs, and around 50% from protein if I do a sample day, picking the IP packets and foods that are highest in fat and protein and calories. That really means you are limited to the choc, vanilla, strawberry, and butterscotch puddings. Choc drink mix, pina colada, ready made vanilla or chocolate drink, and maybe the mango drink but it has no fat. You might try increasing your UDOS oil or Omega oil, maybe add some coconut oil if you want to control the hunger or fat craving. Maybe, not having that 5th IP Pkt of Protein. I have an idea that you burn food so fast that you are slowed down by 1: not enough fat and 2: not enough calories 3: protein above 45% of caloric intake. What are your thoughts??

Here is the sample day foods I worked from:

item / portion calories fat grams carb grams protein grams
choc pudding/1 pkt 110 1 3 20
milk 1oz 11 0 1 1
chicken soup 1 pkt 100 1 3 18
omelette 1pkt 110 1 3 20
choc drink mix1 crton 100 4 4 15
vanilla pudding 1 pkt 90 1 2 18
olive oil 2tsp 80 10 0 0
lemon juice 1tbsp 7 0 2 0
romaine 1cup 8 0 2 1
asparagus 1cup 40 0 8 4
spinach 1cup 41 0 7 5
broccoli 1cup 54 0 12 4
kale 1/4c 18 .5 3.5 1
cauliflower 1/4c 7 0 1.35 .5
mushroom 1/4c 22 .5 2 1.25
gr. Pepper 1/4c 9.5 0 2.25 .25
zucchini 1/4c 7.25 0 1.75 .25
egg 1 whole lrg 77 5 1 6
3 egg white large 48 0 0 12
TOTALS 939.75 24 58.85 127.25

Sorry, I can't get the column formatting to show in the post... grr. PM me if you want the spreadsheet or, quote this and view it that way. columns should be easier to read then!
THANK YOU for all of that... yes I have "adapted" the boot camp a bit because of my "needs" or it is NOT pretty hehehe

I am losing but slowly, I also have purposely backed off from working out but decided to ramp it up again... lets see if that kick starts it too. Your body gets used to anything you do and stops responding so we need to kind of shock it a bit by changing things up ...that's what I am trying to do here.

The ZONE type of diet worked quite nicely before with me... but the hormonal thing kind of messed it all up and stalled me... so I'm thinking this is moving it again and hopefully helping me rid my body of that extra Estrogen as well.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #120  

Height: 5'10"

One of the nicest "perks" from losing weight: Being able to shop for bras at Victoria's Secret again. Yes, it doesn't take much to make me happy. LOL
Closed Thread