Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarygirlie View Post
Chelle Below 180!!!! Gotta love seeing a new set of numbers
Sure do!!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 164.2/164.2/130

Height: 5' 6 3/4"

do you think all beef hot dogs would be allowed, or too high in fat??
Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 184/145/135

Height: 5"5

Hateusernames Wow, that is an awesome WI. If you are anything like me, I am assuming you tried on clothes in your closet today....you know...just to see if anything fits differently, haha.

Congrats and great job!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #19  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateusernames View Post
Hi everyone, I posted on the two day thread, but just found this weekly thread. Hope everyone has good numbers, and survived the weekend. I have good news, at my WI this morning I was down 6.2 pounds! All the salad and bootcamp living is paying off. Onederland here I come!
MY GOODNESS!

I am loving all the numbers I am seeing!

CONGRATS!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #20  

My coach told me that it's not recommended to do intense cardio (i.e. she doesn't want me to sweat) and to stick with 20-30 minutes of walking.... does anyone know why?
(Sorry for the newbie question - I'm in my first week)
Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #21  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookee View Post
My coach told me that it's not recommended to do intense cardio (i.e. she doesn't want me to sweat) and to stick with 20-30 minutes of walking.... does anyone know why?
(Sorry for the newbie question - I'm in my first week)
The point of IP is to tap into your already stored fat as energy source and hence burn it off

posted this before but here it is

HEART RATE TRAINING ZONES
The whole point of using different heart rate zones when training is that each training zone has a different effect on your fitness. It is worthwhile taking the time to understand the benefits of training in each zone.

The value of each training zone should not be underestimated and although it may feel strange the first time you do an ergo at 65% (because it doesn't hurt and you're not sweating like a pig), resist the temptation to pull harder and just keep at it, it's on your program for a reason.

The Energy Efficient or Recovery Zone - 60% to 70%

Much of the benefits from heart rate training involve the body's energy systems and one of these systems is responsible for the long term supply of energy to your working muscles.

Fat is an abundant source of energy for the endurance athlete. Training within this heart rate zone - best accomplished by doing long, slow ergos, (or runs or water-work) - develops the body's ability to feed the working muscles more efficiently.

The other major advantage to training in this zone is weight loss, because you are almost exclusively burning FAT. You will also be allowing your muscles to re-energize with glycogen, which has been expended during those faster paced work-outs.

Underestimate this training zone at your peril.

The Aerobic Zone - 70% to 80%

When you train in this Heart Rate zone, you are training your cardiovascular system. Within this range, the body's ability to transport oxygen to, and carbon dioxide away from, the working muscles can be developed and improved.

As you become fitter and stronger from training in this zone you will get the benefits of some fat burning and improved aerobic capacity. 75% training often feels good.

This zone is also ideal for developing local muscle strength.

The Anaerobic Zone - 80% to 90%

This is the zone in which an enormous amount of benefit can be gained.

Somewhere between 80 and 90%, your individual anaerobic threshold is hiding. Between these heart rates, you use very little fat, instead you start to use glycogen - which is stored in your muscles - as the main source of energy.

Unfortunately, one of the by-products of burning this glycogen, is the rower's worst enemy, Lactic Acid.

There is a point at which the working muscles are producing lactic acid at a faster rate than the body can remove it. The heart rate this happens at, depends on you as an individual but when you do hit this point - known as Anabolic Threshold it will be accompanied by a rapid rise in heart rate and a slowing of your pace - sound familiar?

Through the correct training it is possible to delay the Anabolic Threshold either:
# by increasing the heart rate at which you reach it or
# by increasing your body's ability to deal with the lactic acid for a longer period of time.

The fitter you are the nearer you will be racing to your Anabolic Threshold. But beware, pulling a 1:45 split does not mean you are rowing at your Anabolic Threshold if the training you have been under-going is incorrect.

Assuming you are fit you will be racing at just below, or right on, your AT (depending on the length of the race). Sometimes elite athletes can hold a pace above their AT but for most mere mortals "going off too hard" will only result in you "blowing up" half way through a race - something most of us have experienced at some stage, and it's not pleasant.

The Red Line Zone 90% to 100%

In this zone you will only be able to train for short periods of time. It effectively trains your fast twitch muscle fibers and helps to develop speed.

It is worth being aware that to develop this speed you must first have developed your ability to deal with lactic acid.

This zone is reserved for racing sprints and only the very fit are able to train effectively within the red line zone.

Remember, training very near your maximum HR can be dangerous.

Calculation of Maximum Heart Rate

The easiest and best known method to calculate your maximum heart rate (MHR) is to use the formula

* MHR = 220 - Age
between 60% and 70% of your MHR... is where you are tapping into the fat reserves more
Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #22  
Started IP March 1, 2010

S/C/G: 201.6/150.6/140

Height: 5'8"

Kelsey, I hate when I forget my supplements. I can really tell a difference. I can also tell a difference when I don't get all the water in. This is a really busy week, so I am planning and trying to stay on top of my food and supplements. I am training and it is hard to get in all the water. Can't be running to the bathroom every half hour!!!! Have a good week everyone!!!
CW....only a little over a week till your main squeeze gets home....woohoo!!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:24 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 261.8/201.6/185

Height: 5'4.5

Can someone please tell me the benefits of the fish oil? Please include the benefits to the skin. I want to explain this to my mom. Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #24  
Began IP 9/14/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom22 View Post
Just checking in to say that there is life after IP. I am into the maintenance phase and things have been going well. I started IP at the end of October and dealt with a lot of the very same issues as others. Boredom, finances, motivation and family support (good and bad). I stuck with it because I was determined that I was only going to do this once - even when I only lost 1 lb, i did lose. There's no way I was going to have those naysayers be right. I lost 50 lbs - that's 1/4 of my weight! I feel very different and clothes shopping is a joy - can't believe how small my clothes look when I hold them up. I have people that I haven't seen for a while and they don't recognize me - weird but true.

I did have a blow out weekend with drinks and lots of food (even had a dish of kraft dinner - sorry) and treats - I'm doing Phase 1 today to get back on track. I do know how to get back on track now - never used to and my blowout would have continued for days, weeks, months....decades.

My weight fluctuates a couple of pounds - there's the word out there that everyone gains back 5 lbs after this diet - don't know where that comes from - I haven't gained back and in fact if I watch what i eat for a couple of days, i'm back down. I think that you are really never over dieting - and you shouldn't be - we will always need to watch what and how we eat - I figure if i eat like i did before, i'll look like i did before too.

I'm only sharing to help motivate. There were lots of times on this diet that this board helped me to stay on track - hearing from others, their challenges and successes made me feel like i wasn't alone - support sure helps.
EXCELLENT to hear from you! So happy things are going well for you in maintenance. How to maintain the wt loss is the one thing I think of most. This post has been very inspirational. Thanks for sharing! Keep up the good work and keep us posted on how you're doing!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #25  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykimann View Post
Good Morning all!

I weighed in for my week 8 WI and I am down 4 pounds for a total of 47 pounds. I was hoping to hit the 50 pound lost but I have been running everyday and doing aquabox so I guess the excercise does slow down the weight loss.Here is to a fabulous week ahead ladies
FANTASTIC!! WOO HOO!! You and your sweetie must be so proud of your focus under all the wedding prep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffymama View Post
only lost one lb. I am bummed!
Fluffy, I know it must feel bad to have that 1 lb staring you in the face. Please brighten up and look at that one pound as an accomplishment, I Do! YOU have such great stress right now. You haven’t been eating right and you still lost 1 pound! That is great! Focus on getting back to eating on plan this week. Realize how important it is to your well being and energy. I know that is hard to say when emotions are so strong right now. Just know, I see your 1 pound as a great loss under the circumstance. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarygirlie View Post
WI for my 3rd week on IP 5lbs!!!!! Yay! I am shocked how well this works. I know I have said it before but it really does seem a little surreal. I keep thinking I am going to wake up and the scale will be up. But not today!
Fantastic! You did a great job at week 3! Keep it going!
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie beth View Post
Thanks Carla and Kelsey for directing me over here! I have been doing IP for 1 month plus...not doing well! As far as loosing I am doing ok! 20.8 lbs to date but boy I can't stay motivated! We go out to eat alot with friends....no will power! So in the time period I have been on and off several times! I haven't gained at any of my weigh ins but I know that I am doing this to myself! Until now, I haven't had any support either! SO glad to find this place and read about what you are all doing! At this point, then I have been doing this strong now for 3 days. I guess now I need to make sure I go back in to Ketosis, is that right? And then basically start over? Any tips or suggestions would be great!
Yes! STAY STRICT. Give yourself 2 or 3 really solid, on program strict weeks to get into a good ketosis. Although, YOU ARE DOING FANTASTIC given the circumstances! 20.8 lbs!! WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
Forgot supplements last night, left for work today, forgot them again! Cannot believe how tired I am today! Just dragging!!!
That is probably a mild electrolyte imbalance. You should be fine in a day. Drink your water. Maybe try taking an extra potassium, 2 extra cal/mag, and some extra salt. That is what is on my intake sheet for the program if you start feeling fatigue likely related to an electrolyte imbalance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplains wifey View Post
Weigh in in the morning . We will see how I did after I had my one cheat on Sat . I can't beleive I cheated . So dissapointed in myself . Only 9 more days till my hubby will be home . Maybe I can at least loose 5 more lbs .
You will be fine. Don’t stress so much about Saturday, stay focused on doing what you were doing, be strict, get in your water. 5 pounds more is VERY realistic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresad View Post
Hey all - thought I'd start a new chat thread for the week...
To keep the moderators happy - maybe we should try to ask specific questions that we're expecting/hoping for multiple answers in separate threads... this will also help us find info on a question in one thread rather than scattered throughout multiple chat threads... just a thought.
thanks,
Teresa
Sounds like a good idea to me! Any other opinions/input? My only wish is that we could have our own forum, like the atkins group or something, we have so much activity I wonder if separate topic threads will eventually also be lost! 

Quote:
Just checking in to say that there is life after IP. I am into the maintenance phase and things have been going well …… I'm only sharing to help motivate. There were lots of times on this diet that this board helped me to stay on track - hearing from others, their challenges and successes made me feel like i wasn't alone - support sure helps.
Thank you! AND, Congrats on the 50 pound loss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleFL View Post
Haven't been on for a week or so. Progress is still really slow, but I finally got below 180. YaHoo!!!

Reunion is this weekend and really want to take off at least 5 lbs, but I only seem to lose 2 lbs a week. I'm being really strict, and I started walking 2 miles a day a week ago. I guess that is the best I can hope for with all the stress I've been under and my thyroid.
You are doing GREAT! I know the reunion is a separate matter than “doing great”. I just had to share I think the 2 pounds is a nice consistent loss! AND, you are well into ONEDERLAND now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateusernames View Post
Hi everyone, I posted on the two day thread, but just found this weekly thread. Hope everyone has good numbers, and survived the weekend. I have good news, at my WI this morning I was down 6.2 pounds! All the salad and bootcamp living is paying off. Onederland here I come!
Great job on the 6.2 pound loss! doesn’t it just give you a ton of motivation for this week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJHA View Post
do you think all beef hot dogs would be allowed, or too high in fat??
I wouldn’t do it unless they are no sodium, no nitrates or nitrites. Some people retain extra water after eating highly processed meats. You could do a low fat variety or a turkey dog maybe to cut the fat but the salt/nitrates/nitrites are probably still there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post
Man I hope this commando thing allows me to lose like that too...cause it has not been that HUGE for me... and I am hungry... pee a TON, so loads of water...EEEEKKKK!
well I have to share... ever been SO hungry you can't sleep? For some reason that was me last night! I could not help it!
I finally got up and took a teaspoon of peanut butter (it was what I found) and then was finally able to sleep.... What was that about? I am in ketosis today so I guess I'm ok...although starving again.
The point of IP is to tap into your already stored fat as energy source and hence burn it off
HEART RATE TRAINING ZONES
hey Elizabeth! 
I am so sorry you are so hungry! I have been there. Funny thing is it happens on days when I have “hyper” protein. Maybe this commando thing is pushing the protein to the limit?? The interesting thing about peanut butter is either it was the fat, the salt ( you might lose a lot with the excess peeing), or does your brand have ANY sugar? I am inclined to think it was the fat/protein combination. Since fats digest slowly it may have offset whatever was happening with your blood sugar while it allowed you to slow down and fall asleep. I know that peanut butter was recommended by the endocrinologist monitoring my nieces diabetes to help her sleep. He said the protein helped to offset the hyperinsulin/hypoglycemia swings she got at night. It is interesting that it did the trick for you.
So, regarding heart rate training, are you saying don’t train while on IP or stay in the 60 – 70% range??? Not sure I am getting this.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #26  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8edmama View Post
Can someone please tell me the benefits of the fish oil? Please include the benefits to the skin. I want to explain this to my mom. Thanks!!
(now entering research mode!)

Well, from a medically supported opinion you may want to use this link to the government site of national institute of health. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...t-fishoil.html
You will see from the report card they generate that only 3 areas have been strongly proven and several others have some link, and a huge number are undetermined. Regarding the undetermined info you can read the following:
A 2005 study in the Journal of Lipid Research discovered that EPA can help block the release of the UV-induced enzymes that eat away at our collagen, causing lines and sagging skin. Because EPA is both an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory agent, it can protect against sun damage and help repair it. (according to Doris Day, MD, is a dermatologist and professor at NYU Medical School. on http://living.health.com/2009/03/26/...plements-skin/)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/86...nefits-omega-/

http://www.fishoilbenefit.net/
“Most of the recent searches regarding fish oil benefit to the heart diseases has proved the importance of omega 3 fatty acids in protection against the heart diseases. The recent study of American Dietetic Association revealed the factor that these acids are very effective to reduce the fatty deposits in arteries.

The consumption of fish oil reduces the chances of all forms of cancer including breast, colon and prostate. The fatty acids found in the fish oil is quite helpful to stop the development of cancerous mass from quite a healthy cell, it inhibits the unwanted growth of cell and causes apoptosis or death or cancer cells.

The fish oil has very significance in preventing the pregnancy complication like premature delivery and low birth weight. The consumption of fish oil during pregnancy reduce allergy in the newborns, help in development of brain and reduce risk of post partum depression. It is better to take fish oil during the period of pregnancy.

The fish oil is very effective for the eyesight. It not only improves the eyesight but also decrease the dryness in the eyes. The fish oil helps to stop the eyesight decline with the increasing age.

The fish oil is very effective to prevent all types of depression including the schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, ADHD and anger caused depression. It is also helpful in treatment of the Huntington’s disease.

The fish oil is found effective in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, systemic lupus and other inflammatory conditions.

The recent scientific studies recognized the role of fish oil in weight regulation, it reduces craving caused by the fatty foods.

These are the most significant fish oil benefits. Fish oil not only reduces the risk of a number of incurable diseases but is also very helpful nutritional supplement. Eating fish is the basic way for the body to get enough fatty acids but if you want to get more, than try to get fish oil benefits directly from the fish oil that is extracted from the cold water fishes as its benefits are bigger and it is easer to digest.”

The Dermatology Times published an article containing the promises the fish oil and its many ways in combating the skin deterioration. For example, fish oil minimizes the effects of environmental contaminants that may damage the skin. The fatty acid in fish oil called EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) bolsters the skin’s defenses against the harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun. This is of major importance, considering that skin cancer and sagging are attributed to exposure to the sun.

http://healthyomega3.com/
http://www.fishoilblog.com/benefits/...l-benefits.php
http://www.fishoilblog.com/benefits/...-to-choose.php

The health benefits of fish oil include its ability to aid in treatment of heart diseases, high cholesterol, depression, anxiety, AHDH, low immunity, cancer, diabetes, inflammation, arthritis, IBD, AIDS, Alzheimer’s disease, eye disorders, macular degeneration and ulcers. It is helps in weight loss, pregnancy, fertility and skin care (particular for disorders such as psoriasis, acne).
Most of the these health benefits of fish oil can be attributed to the presence of Omega 3 essential fatty acids such as Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Other useful essential fatty acids include Alpha-linolenic acid or ALA and Gamma-linolenic acid or GLA.
Please open the link below for a more detailed and specific breakdown of thee above benefits.
http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-...-fish-oil.html

Additional searches could be done on: omega 3 6 9 (all as one or as 3 individual searches) ,Linoleic acid (LA), alpha linolenic acid (ALA), gamma linolenic acid (GLA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), fish oil, vitamin F benefits and deficiencies, a Wikipedia search of omega 3, omega 6, and omega 9 reveals basic chemistry information and some references worth a peek.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 04-27-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #27  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Just checking in to say that there is life after IP. I am into the maintenance phase and things have been going well. I started IP at the end of October and dealt with a lot of the very same issues as others. Boredom, finances, motivation and family support (good and bad). I stuck with it because I was determined that I was only going to do this once - even when I only lost 1 lb, i did lose. There's no way I was going to have those naysayers be right. I lost 50 lbs - that's 1/4 of my weight! I feel very different and clothes shopping is a joy - can't believe how small my clothes look when I hold them up. I have people that I haven't seen for a while and they don't recognize me - weird but true.

I did have a blow out weekend with drinks and lots of food (even had a dish of kraft dinner - sorry) and treats - I'm doing Phase 1 today to get back on track. I do know how to get back on track now - never used to and my blowout would have continued for days, weeks, months....decades.

My weight fluctuates a couple of pounds - there's the word out there that everyone gains back 5 lbs after this diet - don't know where that comes from - I haven't gained back and in fact if I watch what i eat for a couple of days, i'm back down. I think that you are really never over dieting - and you shouldn't be - we will always need to watch what and how we eat - I figure if i eat like i did before, i'll look like i did before too.

I'm only sharing to help motivate. There were lots of times on this diet that this board helped me to stay on track - hearing from others, their challenges and successes made me feel like i wasn't alone - support sure helps.
Thanks for checking in! And congratulations on your great success. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask a few questions.

As I'm getting closer to the next phase, I am conflicted about what my target weight should be. I already lowered it 10 pounds to put myself more solidly into a healthy BMI range, yet I'm starting to wonder if that's enough. At some point I need to declare my 90% and move on, but I think I'm afraid I'll stop losing when I move to the next phases, and not reach my goal - whatever it may end up being.

You obviously overshot... did you continue to lose weight in phase 2 and phase 3? At what point did you move to phase 2? I know people say 80-90% of target... what was the process like for you?

I'd appreciate any information you'd be willing to share.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #28  
Started IP 4/05/2010

S/C/G: 000/000/145

Height: 5'8

Quote:

I needed to read your post today... I agree I know I want to do this once. I have to do this. Congrats on your success. I hope you continue to post.

Michelle
Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #29  
Started IP March 1, 2010

S/C/G: 201.6/150.6/140

Height: 5'8"

I am also interested in information for going to phase 2. People are starting to notice my weight loss and I am getting things like, "you don't want to lose too much weight." and "you don't want to be too skinny, think of your age now". I totally get that and I am not out to be Twiggy(guess I'm showing my age here!!! LOL. But, when I say I am only half way or that I have 30 more lbs to lose, some people freak out. Part of it is that I am tall and people don't realize how much I really weighed or even how much I weigh now. That is one of the reasons I really didn't even want people to know I was on a diet. I am a smart person and I know what is good for me and I really don't need all that "advice". For my heighth, everything I have read says I should be in the 140 to 145 range (even the little guy on the Wii). My goal is 140 and I think that is realistic, but I won't know till I get in that range. Yes, in high school I weighed 115(Twiggy). That isn't going to happen and I don't want it to. The last time I lost weight I got to 135 and felt really good. That was almost 10 years ago. So, picking the ideal weight is a challenge and for the most part you don't need help from your friends.....just your coach and maybe this board.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #30  

I had avery sad thing happen last night, we have two indoor cats and one of them escaped without us realizing it. We got a call from our neighbour telling us that Zoe was under his patio and looked really sick.

We ran outside and got her, and she wasn't moving and she was taking these short laboured breaths, we couldn't see anything physically wrong with her but we think she either got poisoned from getting in to something or maybe run over.

My husband rushed her to the emergancy vet, but being that it's an hour and a bits drive from where we live and she died about 10 minutes before he got to the vet.

I know it's not diet releated but it's on my mind.
Closed Thread