3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

IP Thread April 19 - 25

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #91
Member
 
Teresad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 37

S/C/G: 176/145/130

Height: 5'4"

Default

Hey IP gurus -

What's the scoop on grilled (or sauted) onions? I've heard that when you grill onions, some carbs are created? hmm - carmelized onions...

Anyone heard - can we eat grilled onions in Phase 1?

thanks,
Teresa
Teresad is offline  
Old 04-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #92
Member
 
joshb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 71

Default

We cannot eat grilled onions on phase 1 =(
__________________
joshb is offline  
Old 04-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #93
Senior Member
 
jordanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,309

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresad View Post
Hey IP gurus -

What's the scoop on grilled (or sauted) onions? I've heard that when you grill onions, some carbs are created? hmm - carmelized onions...

Anyone heard - can we eat grilled onions in Phase 1?

thanks,
Teresa

Hey Teresa - when you caramelize onions it changes some of the carbs from fiber based carbs into sugar carbs which makes the overall carb count higher and causes a glycemic index spike. You are supposed to eat them raw only but many of us will lightly cook them until translucent to take the bite out of them
__________________
Don't forget to visit my blog Memoirs of a Fat Kid for more riveting fat kid details!

or you can check me out on facebook: Memoirs of a Fat Kid

20 lbs to Christmas Challenge!

jordanna is offline  
Old 04-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
sassykimann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 119

Height: 5.8

Default

Hi everyone! So I bought the shakes at dr bernsteins to save
some money and they are exactly the same except
they have 1 gram of sugar in them! Should
I not use them? Will it affect the weight loss
and ketosis? Have any of you been using them?
__________________


Lost 77 pounds on Ideal Protein and then got pregnant.

Operation yummy mummy bye bye tummy is underway.

Gave birth to my beautiful son Finn on August 24, 2011.
sassykimann is offline  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresad View Post
Hey IP gurus -

What's the scoop on grilled (or sauted) onions? I've heard that when you grill onions, some carbs are created? hmm - carmelized onions...

Anyone heard - can we eat grilled onions in Phase 1?

thanks,
Teresa
NOPE! The heat is too hi and the sugars start to release. Sorry. Stick with steamed or lightly sauted. Anything above that and you are asking for a day of cravings! We need to be careful with sweet peppers on the grill too. I made some that became so sugary sweet I had to toss them.
__________________
Carla


My Progress Photos

Taking this 10 pounds at a time!



You have to choose - eat how you want to look, or look how you want to eat...
showgirlaz is offline  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default

Here is the eggless mayonnaise recipe I found for my sister. It is not exactly like a store bought mayo but is a good substitute. I think we can do the soy milk (unsweetened) based on my research of products in my area. Remember that you are just getting a portion of all the ingredients if you use it in a recipe. I posted this in the recipe thread #2 as well.

Eggless mayonnaise recipe

http://glutenfreeday.com/?p=65

"Making your own mayonnaise is actually very easy and fast, this is why I never understood why people bought their mayonnaise; the taste of fresh mayonnaise can’t be compared with the stuff that has been sitting on shelves for a long time. Yes, I do know that some people have a difficult time making it, since it can split, but once you learn how to make it it’s easy.

Making egg-free mayonnaise was difficult for me at first; all the recipes I found were a bit too complicated and difficult and so I gave up and just bought some Plamil mayo. It all changed when I found a recipe on a message board which used only soy milk, salt, vinegar and oil, the only problem was that that particular recipe used a ton of vinegar; the tartness was just too much. I finally tried to adjust it by adding only some tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice to the mayo and it worked - I was so happy that I could finally make my own egg-free mayonnaise and it tasted a lot like the real thing.

This recipe is easy and tasty. You can season the mayo with black pepper, curry, paprika or garlic, but I prefer using the traditional spice - Dijon mustard. As for oils I like to use grapeseed oil or sunflower oil, canola oil might be good too, but whatever oil you use don’t use olive oil, the taste is horrible."

You can adjust the tartness or sweetness with a little more lemon juice or add some splenda or stevia.

Egg-free mayonnaise

This will make approximately 1/2 cup mayonnaise and keeps about 1 week in the fridge.

-1/4 cup or 1 dl soy milk

-1-2 tbls lemon juice, I like to use 2 tbls because I like the tartness it gives, but if you like your mayonnaise sweeter, use just one tbls

-salt according to taste

-approximately 3/4 cup or 2 dl oil

-spices according to taste (traditional mayo is 1tsp dry mustard, 1tsp salt, a pinch of paprika or white pepper or cayenne or a dash or tobasco)

Put the milk and the lemon juice into a bowl, add the spices and the salt into it and mix well, I use a bamix, but any kind of hand held mixer will do, or a whisk.

Continue mixing and start adding the oil, use the traditional method which means that you need to add the oil slowly mixing constantly, pour the oil in a steady very thin stream. Continue adding the oil until the mayonnaise is thick enough and then continue with the mixing for a small while, one minute is enough. When finished, the mayonnaise will not be as thick as store bought mayonnaise. Let it sit, refrigerated, for at least half an hour. Stir, and taste for seasoning. If necessary, whisk in a pinch more salt, sugar or another teaspoon or so of vinegar. Wait before tasting because it takes awhile for the salt to dissolve into all of the oil.

You can also make mayonnaise in a blender or with an immersion blender. The procedure is the same:

Blender Mayo - If you do not own a food processor, using a blender is the next best way to make a cup or so of mayonnaise.

Put egg yolk, salt, sugar, pepper and vinegar in the blender container. Put on the lid, taking out the plastic plug in the center. Turn the blender on medium speed. Once the egg yolk is light in color, begin adding the oil, a couple of drops at a time. Once half the oil is incorporated, add it in a thin stream. You might need to scrape the blender container one or two times with a rubber spatula to make sure that all the ingredients are emulsified.

Immersion Blender Mayo - A good method to make mayonnaise very quickly since the powerful blades of an immersion blender emulsify the oil and vinegar almost instantly.

Put all the mayonnaise ingredients In a tall, narrow container, such as a straight-sided beaker. Insert the immersion blender right down to the bottom of the beaker. Turn it on high, and very slowly raise it to the top of the beaker. Instant mayonnaise.

I haven't done this yet but, if you don't like the effect from the soy milk you can experiment with silken tofu.
__________________
Carla


My Progress Photos

Taking this 10 pounds at a time!



You have to choose - eat how you want to look, or look how you want to eat...
showgirlaz is offline  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #97
Senior Member
 
want2run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: WA state
Posts: 211

Default

Wow, it took me more than 30 minutes to catch up from this moring.

Jordanna-you would make a great coach

Deine-your dress is beautiful!

Showgirlaz-I hope I am not experiencing what you went through, the headache won't lift and I feel like my vision is blurry. Also, I am losing my hair. I will talk with my coach about it tomorrow, but it is not fun.

Chaplainswifey-I LOVE my turnip fries. I use the same seasonings as you and bake them, oh so yummy. Congrats on 180!! you will see 170's next week.

I hope I get a sample of strawberry pudding tomorrow at my weigh in, sound delish.

Have a great evening everyone!
__________________
want2run

Last edited by want2run : 04-19-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: forgot something
want2run is offline  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #98
Member
 
harlee girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 31

S/C/G: 252/215/165

Height: 5'8"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykimann View Post
Hi everyone! So I bought the shakes at dr bernsteins to save
some money and they are exactly the same except
they have 1 gram of sugar in them! Should
I not use them? Will it affect the weight loss
and ketosis? Have any of you been using them?
I use them ALL the time, lots of days I even have 2 and have been in a constant state of ketosis ever since I started IP 5 weeks ago. I swear companies mess with the labels just enough so you THINK it's a different product. You'll be fine
harlee girl is offline  
Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
BlueMermaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 425

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post
hahaha here is the link

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=desirae&keywordType=any&pag e=0&pageSize=15&style=J1309

I hope I lose TONS by then... My sister has been competing with me in a way ...long story, now she is bragging about getting a size 4 wedding dress and weighing only 125lbs...(hate my hormones ugh!) Had to tell her about my dress back in February so she would not get the same one and yet she got a very similar one too ...anyway, glad mine is first...

She cheated on her hubby left him in October, her divorce won't be final until June 4th and her wedding is June 19th! Yeah kind of not cool but it's her life... just wish she would have waited at least a month.
Wow, that is a pretty dress. You will look amazing in it.
__________________


BlueMermaid is offline  
Old 04-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
motiv8edmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 303

S/C/G: 261.8/201.6/185

Height: 5'4.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykimann View Post
Good Morning all

I hope you all had an amazing weekend!

I am a bit disappointed with my WI this week. I am down 3 pounds, I guess I am just spoiled as I have been hitting big numbers sicne I stated this program 7 weeks ago. I'll take it though!

I had a pretty emotional weekend. I was told that with less then 5 months to go for my wedding that my dream dress can not be altered as my weight loss, 4 sizes lost and inches will basically mean my dress had to be remade and it would cost a fortune. Then they told us we had to find a dress and place an order by May 1 as its wedding season and it will take us 4-4.5 months to get the dress in and I will still need alterations...so we spend the weekend driving all over the city and I have to tell you it was SOOOO much more fun trying on wedding dresses now because my body has changed so much and there are soooo many more options for me..I put on the very last dress yesterday and that was it..I found THE dress. It shows off all of my new curves, hugs them and I must say I look pretty damn hot

Its a corset back and fitted with room to lose more weight so the alterations should be at a minimum.

I am ordering the dress of Wed and I am so excited. We put on my old dress for comparision and we couldnt even keep it on me withouth them wrapping it to the other side of my body..It was amazing and that it when I saw how amazing this program is...WOW!

Sorry for the long post..Im just so excited.
I am so excited to see your pictures...you are going to knock some socks off!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
Hey Motiv8edmama - thanks for reminding me to put up links for my other blogs, when I transitioned to the new site I didn't do that. They're now on a sidebar and on my "about the fat kid" section for finding them in the future!
I love reading blogs, it is becoming an addiction for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post
hahaha here is the link

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=desirae&keywordType=any&pag e=0&pageSize=15&style=J1309

I hope I lose TONS by then... My sister has been competing with me in a way ...long story, now she is bragging about getting a size 4 wedding dress and weighing only 125lbs...(hate my hormones ugh!) Had to tell her about my dress back in February so she would not get the same one and yet she got a very similar one too ...anyway, glad mine is first...

She cheated on her hubby left him in October, her divorce won't be final until June 4th and her wedding is June 19th! Yeah kind of not cool but it's her life... just wish she would have waited at least a month.
I know you will be beautiful, the dress is extremely amazing, but it will be the woman in it who will be turning the heads!!
__________________

Cheers for each five!!

motiv8edmama is offline  
Old 04-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #101
Junior Member
 
frumpygirl69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 17

S/C/G: 302/287/175

Height: 5'10"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykimann View Post
Good Morning all

I hope you all had an amazing weekend!

I am a bit disappointed with my WI this week. I am down 3 pounds, I guess I am just spoiled as I have been hitting big numbers sicne I stated this program 7 weeks ago. I'll take it though!

I had a pretty emotional weekend. I was told that with less then 5 months to go for my wedding that my dream dress can not be altered as my weight loss, 4 sizes lost and inches will basically mean my dress had to be remade and it would cost a fortune. Then they told us we had to find a dress and place an order by May 1 as its wedding season and it will take us 4-4.5 months to get the dress in and I will still need alterations...so we spend the weekend driving all over the city and I have to tell you it was SOOOO much more fun trying on wedding dresses now because my body has changed so much and there are soooo many more options for me..I put on the very last dress yesterday and that was it..I found THE dress. It shows off all of my new curves, hugs them and I must say I look pretty damn hot

Its a corset back and fitted with room to lose more weight so the alterations should be at a minimum.

I am ordering the dress of Wed and I am so excited. We put on my old dress for comparision and we couldnt even keep it on me withouth them wrapping it to the other side of my body..It was amazing and that it when I saw how amazing this program is...WOW!

Sorry for the long post..Im just so excited.
Awesome job sassy! you are doing amazing! do you work out as well?
__________________
frumpygirl69 is offline  
Old 04-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #102
Junior Member
 
frumpygirl69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 17

S/C/G: 302/287/175

Height: 5'10"

Default

well i just completed week two and i lost another 3.5 lbs that is a total of 9.5lbs in 2 weeks. i guess that is ok considering it was TOM and i had a few cheats. my goal this week is no cheats and to eat very few restricted. you all seem to be doing very well and to the girls that are getting married well congratulations and i bet you will look and feel soo beautiful on your wedding dayz!
nite
__________________
frumpygirl69 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #103
Junior Member
 
sunnygirl2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northwest
Posts: 12

S/C/G: Starting weight /146 / 135/130

Height: 5'6

Default

Hello everyone! I must say I absolutely love this site!! I started the Ip diet Jan 1, and have made it to phase 3 as of almost 2 weeks ago, my 2nd week weigh in is on wed. and hopefully i haven't gained and i will be in maintenance =) I have followed this thread the whole time and you all have inspired me and encouraged me to stay on track and not cheat...the recipe's were wonderful ( the one's I have tried) and I just want to say a big Thank you to you all! I don't know why it took me so long to register and become a part of the forum. I love this diet =)
sunnygirl2 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #104
Senior Member
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplains wifey View Post
Thanks I cant wait to try the coffee. Maybe this will keep me from cheating . You have done awesome on your weight loss ! Great job . We both started at the same weight .Can't wit to be in the 170's !
Thanks! Actually, my ticker is recording my entire weight loss. I started losing a little before I started Ideal Protein. You and I have lost the same amount on ideal protein. You have actually done much better than me in a shorter time, I think!

I couldn't wait to get into the 170's either! Now, I am so close to the 160's and not going there fast enough. I really hope to make it by next week! Only 20 more pounds to make my ideal protein goal. I think I want to be lower than that but, I have been overweight for so long it was hard for me to realistically evaluate myself and what size I could become. SO, in 20 pounds I will be making a determination of 1) do I stay on phase 1 and til when or 2) do I feel satisfied, in which case, I go to phase 3.

Carla
__________________
Carla


My Progress Photos

Taking this 10 pounds at a time!



You have to choose - eat how you want to look, or look how you want to eat...
showgirlaz is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 AM   #105
Senior Member
 
jordanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,309

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl2 View Post
Hello everyone! I must say I absolutely love this site!! I started the Ip diet Jan 1, and have made it to phase 3 as of almost 2 weeks ago, my 2nd week weigh in is on wed. and hopefully i haven't gained and i will be in maintenance =) I have followed this thread the whole time and you all have inspired me and encouraged me to stay on track and not cheat...the recipe's were wonderful ( the one's I have tried) and I just want to say a big Thank you to you all! I don't know why it took me so long to register and become a part of the forum. I love this diet =)
Well done sunnygirl! I'd say welcome to 3FC but you've been around for a while in stealth mode from the sounds of it
__________________
Don't forget to visit my blog Memoirs of a Fat Kid for more riveting fat kid details!

or you can check me out on facebook: Memoirs of a Fat Kid

20 lbs to Christmas Challenge!

jordanna is offline  
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2