Old 07-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default truvia has carbs - A LOT of carbs

http://www.truvia.com/about/ingredients/default.aspx

Check out the information on the side of a truvia box. It has carbs! For one packet, you get 3 carbs. THREE is an awful lot for 1 packet of sweetener!

It is coming from the erythritol sugar alcohol. It makes me wonder about using erythritol in other products. I wouldn't want that many hidden carbs adding to my day!
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #2  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

My understanding is that erythritol is a sugar alcohol and doesn't raise blood sugar/insulin, or have any usable calories.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionista View Post
My understanding is that erythritol is a sugar alcohol and doesn't raise blood sugar/insulin, or have any usable calories.
True, and this question has come up with persons using the ideal protein diet, which is a low carbohydrate plan concerned with insulin sensitivity. Erythritol is a natural sugar alcohol and should not raise sugars/insulin but many people do react differently to sugar alcohols. Some people do find a sensitivity to sugar alcohols and do digest them. It may be something to watch and see how each individual responds following their personal use of the product. If someone feels they are following a plan perfectly within the low carb guidelines but are stalling out AND they are using this, it might be worth considering as a possible stall culprit.

Here is more info on the erythritol.

http://www.emeraldforestxylitol.com/...erythritol.htm
Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #4  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
] It may be something to watch and see how each individual responds following their personal use of the product. If someone feels they are following a plan perfectly within the low carb guidelines but are stalling out AND they are using this, it might be worth considering as a possible stall culprit.
Indeed!
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #5  

Thanks a bunch for this info!.. I've been using Truvia in my morning tea for a while, but lately with the hot weather, I've been having a couple of glasses of iced tea with Truvia later in the day... just one packet might not be too much, but 3 a day surely is, if I'm sensitive to erythritol... time to cut back & see if I notice a difference...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

It also stimulates appetite and makes you crave sweets -- not good stuff.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #7  

Default sweeteners

congratulations on your weight loss ladies.

I saw the posts about Truvia and I think it is the same principal of Xylitol. The ol indicates a sugar alcohol and if too much is consumed will take a person out of ketosis and sabotage all your hard work.

I am in Vegas and heard of a product called Just Like Sugar which is composed of chicory which is actually allowed on the IP diet (chicory that is).
You might want to check with your coach as to if this would be a good artificial sweetener for you instead of Truvia, Splenda etc.

Best wishes for your diet success
dietertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
http://www.truvia.com/about/ingredients/default.aspx

Check out the information on the side of a truvia box. It has carbs! For one packet, you get 3 carbs. THREE is an awful lot for 1 packet of sweetener!

It is coming from the erythritol sugar alcohol. It makes me wonder about using erythritol in other products. I wouldn't want that many hidden carbs adding to my day!
OMG that was the sugar in those sky free sodas I was talking about a while back! they deducted it as sugar alcohol though and labelled it zero carb.

remember I had it and then was saying that I feel like I have a sugar high, I was so chipper for the first 30 mins and then fell hard.

Last edited by pitakitten; 07-11-2010 at 07:11 PM.
pitakitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitakitten View Post
OMG that was the sugar in those sky free sodas I was talking about a while back! they deducted it as sugar alcohol though and labelled it zero carb.

remember I had it and then was saying that I feel like I have a sugar high, I was so chipper for the first 30 mins and then fell hard.
I do remember! You and several other people, including me, have mentioned similar reactions. I have been using the truvia or purevia at restaurants as a tea sweetener. I looked it up one day and the results shocked me! I use so much sweetener, not a good thing, but I do and now I wonder if it has been slowing me down some. ????

Back to nothing or plain stevia I guess. I know I haven't felt "high" from that!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 207/194/125

Height: 5'4

I was using Truvia and having up to 2 packets a day. I then started to feel dizzy and sick at my stomach. Stopped taking the Truvia and feel a lot better and also my body is more in ketosis. I think this added 6 carbs a day and effected ketosis.
Gabby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote