Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #136  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonSparkles View Post
deinekatze -

Thank you for the research and advice! I am going to take an extra Omega 3 and make sure I get my full 2 tsp of olive oil today (or a tad more as you suggested). I'm with you and MuayThaiGoddess on the moody boat and I'm sorry you were crying! Glad you are a happy camper once again! And you are losing a POUND A DAY! That is fantastic!! Wooohoooo! You go girl!
Cinnamon Sparkles!

Thanks for the kudos... well I am not weighing again till Friday (or not supposed to LOL) but will see then how it went.

I was already taking 2 Omega 3 caps 3xper day... now I will be increasing to 3x3. He aslo suggested Flax seed if you like that.

The thing is that when we go so low on fats our hormones go haywire and some of us lose it quicker than others. So it is something you will have to adjust properly..feel it out if you will, until you find the right amount

Best of luck with that!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #137  

has anyone used the collegen capsules? i got some at walmart so i wouldn't have to eat the jelly. i hope they work!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #138  
getting back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbrandi View Post
has anyone used the collegen capsules? i got some at walmart so i wouldn't have to eat the jelly. i hope they work!
the Jelly? You mean the Gelatin Ip mix? That's my favorite! hmmm wonder why you don't like it... and the thing is you would still need it for the protein... just take other things if you don't like that
Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #139  
Senior Member 2/12/2010

Height: 5'4"

Deinekatze-- I started the grumpy conversation because it was so bugging me and no one else had mentioned it. Now others are concurring. That's what I love about this site. You know you aren't crazy after all! I had been eating flax seed every day for a few years. Recently changed to chia seed at someone's suggestion.Wonder if that's as good?? And I do take Omega 3s but not in a high dose like you are suggesting. Also, haven't been as careful about the olive oil as I should be. It will be wonderful if this is the solution-- so easy to solve and as I said before it's really annoying being so annoyed. Thanks so much for the help.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #140  
Goddess of Research

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'8

Talking I was afraid of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieG View Post
Thank you MuayThaiGoddess for your fast answer!
As for your questions, here are the answers!
1) Will stop to buy some tonight! Was not sure if I should do so as they don't seem accurate for everyone but it is worth the try I guess!
2 & 3) Was working out (as of yesterday) 3-4 times a week on a circuit training involving 15 min. of intense cardio workout (HR around 170) and 3 series of muscular work: pull-ups or weight lifting for upper body, musculation with machines for thighs (front & back) and abdominal (sit-ups) or back reinforcements. (All in my lunch break!!)

Also have been experiencing (how did torchlaker put it??) no movements down there (!!) and thought it might be a factor in the plateau situation...

Suggestions welcome once again!
SylvieG

I was somewhat afraid you were going to say that. Okay well let me explain why I asked you those questions and why I'm a little dismayed with your anwsers.

1. Ketostix are still a good indication if you are in ketosis or not- sometimes if you chug copious amounts of water(all at once- like 40- 60 oz in 10-20 minutes) it can dilute the ketones- and not have an accurate reading or if you are dehydrated- your body cannot flush the ketones out of your liver- hence not giving an accurate reading- but , in general, its a good indication of whether youre in ketosis or not and also- a good way to tell if you are continually doing something to throw you out of ketosis. I like to use it for my own cause and effect studies! But if you're not very familiar with your body and urine etc and just KNOW when you're in ketosis- they are a good resource, so personally I would invest in some.

2. How much you workout is not, per say, as crucial a question as how VIGOROUSLY do you work out. I kind of winced when you said that you do intensecardio and kinda when "ugh" when you said your heart rate was around 170, because I felt bad for you because I know that is effecting your weight loss efforts on this diet. You're probably thinking "how in the world is that possible? I'm working hard and burning calories.. and carbs... wouldn't that put me futher into ketosis?" Well... sigh... let me explain. Okay- this is the personal trainer coming out in me- I totally advocate working out and I think it is fantastic, and I think cardio and resistance training is the fountain of youth long term, but my primary question is WHAT IS YOUR GOAL? Is it to continue to still lose a few pounds every week? You seemed very dismayed (almost to the point of quitting) that you have not lost those stubborn 2 pounds that seem to be holding on to you like they forsee a nuclear blast and a ten year famine. I know this is very frustrating. Oh I know all too well.
Okay, so getting back to the point (I'm famous for going off on tangents), when your body is in ketosis your body switches from a carbohydrate source fuel (glycolgen) to fat as your primary fuel source (free fatty acids). With this cross over there is a very delicate chemical balance that holds you in ketosis and any number of this can throw you out of it- NOT just what you eat. I know that intense exercise is not reccomended for the standard ketogenic diet because, while it does deplete your liver of glycolgen (which would be the fastest way to induce ketosis), it decreases the blood flow to your liver decreasing your ketone production and stopping or severly reducing the release of Free Fatty Acids (your stored fat) into the blood stream and it also increases your blood glucose levels. Also with intense exercise, the lactic acid that is produced stops you from releasing your fat stores as well and stalls your ketosis temporarily. And depending on how much repair you need- depends on how long the lactic acid will stay in your muscles. So, it takes a day or two to re-establish ketosis and I would think you are going for another round of exercise putting yourself into a vicious cycle. One resource that supplies this information is "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle Mc Donald, I believe one page that outlines it is 223, but don't quote me on that.
So a better way to go is low intensity exercise- and to stay in the middle of your target heart range which I can assure you, unless you are in your 20's and are a top notch athlete in incredible physical condition, is not it. I could calculate your exact personalized target heart rate, but i would need to know your age and resting heart rate (how many times your heart beats right when you wake up). Or you can go by some average guidelines that are determined by the average woman relating to age. If I had to guess, I would say stay around 140, but like I said I don't know how old you are and what physical condition you are in. Generally, you want to maintain a certain level of homeostasis, so if you are not in great physical shape- now is not the time to start pushing yourself- not if you want to stay on this diet and on this protocol.
However, if you DO want to incorporate more cardio and not give up the diet there is something called the cyclical ketogenic diet- which incorporates carbs before the workout and actually helps you to stay in ketosis- but I would think you would be doing more than 15 minutes of cardio. its all about the route you want to take.
But this doesn't mean you have to forgo exercise all together! I would focus on things that train your core and keep your heart rate down- like yoga is a GREAT way to tone and shape your body- its great for you- especially post workout. And you can just bring that heart rate down during cardio, you want it to stay under the lactate threshold- it shouldn't be a problem if you stay in your target heart range. Resistance bands are good (but use the light ones) and of course sit-ups and using a stability ball is always encouraged but you don't want to challenge your muscles too much because of that dange LACTIC ACID, which will stop the release of your fat stores into your blood.

Also if you are not into ketosis, there are ways to kick start your ketosis/ fat burning and give you a little boost to get going so youre not stuck in a plateau (but first we need to see if you're in ketosis or not!)

So Sylvie, you see- life isn't out to get you, there are so many positive things you can do, and options available to get you moving in the right direction- SO DON'T GIVE UP! Sometimes we just have to step back and evaluate all the variables and make sure there isn't something more we can do, or something that is (unbeknownst to us) sabotaging our best efforts!!! So keep going strong- Victory lies ahead- sometimes we just have to work through the little bumps that come along the way

trust me I have to problem solve all the time with myself on this diet because something is a-miss with me- and my coach nor my (brilliant) doctor couldn't put their finger on it. It was actually due to all of my theories and research that we came up with something today (with my doctor) that could be throwing me in and out of ketosis all day long--- and do you know what it is... well you simply wouldn't believe it- but both of them were going to take me off of the diet and I wouldn't hear of it-- but It will be interesting to see how this next week goes since I suggested taking something out of my daily diet that my doctor had me on. (NO ITS NOTHING IP) I'll write it in my post later!! Sorry this was so long- I hope maybe something helped you and/or given you some good ideas to research. if you have more questions- or concerns write back!

**Goddess
Old 03-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #141  
Started IP Aug 4/09

S/C/G: 235/146/130 Healthy BMI=140

Height: 5' 3"

MuayThaiGoddess,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieG View Post
Thank you MuayThaiGoddess for your fast answer!
As for your questions, here are the answers!
1) Will stop to buy some tonight! Was not sure if I should do so as they don't seem accurate for everyone but it is worth the try I guess!
...Suggestions welcome once again!
Followed your advice and "tried" one as soon as I got home! The ketostix turned a light shade of pink meaning that I am still in ketosis! Hoping to reach the purple shade sometimes soon...
Old 03-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #142  
getting back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulTricia View Post
Deinekatze-- I started the grumpy conversation because it was so bugging me and no one else had mentioned it. Now others are concurring. That's what I love about this site. You know you aren't crazy after all! I had been eating flax seed every day for a few years. Recently changed to chia seed at someone's suggestion.Wonder if that's as good?? And I do take Omega 3s but not in a high dose like you are suggesting. Also, haven't been as careful about the olive oil as I should be. It will be wonderful if this is the solution-- so easy to solve and as I said before it's really annoying being so annoyed. Thanks so much for the help.
I hope that does the trick for you cause I personally was ready to throw in the towel as I felt this diet, instead of getting me ready for my wedding dress, was going to make sure I didn't have a wedding at all! I was barking at my Fiance for the simplest things, crying for no reason, I can imagine the poor guy thinking "I can't marry this nut case!" But no, luckily he understood it was hunger taking the best of me LOL.

Hang in there and do tweak it a bit, you HAVE to make it work for you. We are not all the same so cookie cutter diets are not going to fit us all either. Stay on the program or as close to it as possible. No matter what keep taking the IP products because they are mix correctly so that your body taps into the fat stores as a source of energy.

Another tip (dare I say it!) is when yo are allowed to exercise... don't just focus on cardio folks... Do resistance training because you need the muscle to burn the fat. And as a woman AND a personal trainer I guarantee you that you will NOT bulk up...it takes a LOT to bulk up. The one thing with muscle is that it can somethimes confuse you as you may weigh a bit more, but watch how your clothes fit more than the scale. I had a client at the gym that came to me after a while and said "I don't get it, my scale doesn't move!" so I asked her "...and how are your clothes fitting?" she says "Well they are bigger on me and I am getting lots of compliments" LOL so she stopped and though for a second and then "Ohhhhhh!"
Old 03-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #143  

I just got my dad to sign up for IP. He was SUPER skeptical when I started & now he's signing up!!

Plus as an added bonus, my coach now gives us TWO boxes of food for referrals She's dropping me off 2 boxes of strawberry pudding on Thursday after they get delivered. I can't wait to try them!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #144  
getting back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
I just got my dad to sign up for IP. He was SUPER skeptical when I started & now he's signing up!!

Plus as an added bonus, my coach now gives us TWO boxes of food for referrals She's dropping me off 2 boxes of strawberry pudding on Thursday after they get delivered. I can't wait to try them!
How cool!

Well I hope my dad joins too... I have him and a few others waiting to see how it goes for me before doing it. My dad REALLY needs it. His weight doesn't help his herniated disc. Guy barely moves...he's an accountant.

Kudos to your dad!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #145  

Height: 5.8

Hi all

Jordanna....Huge congrats! That's awesome.

Joshb..you are a huge inspiration.

Mystic..you look fabulous!

As for me I am down 29 pounds this month and today we did inches and Im down 19 inches for the month. My goal of being a smoking hot bride is in my reach. woohoo!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #146  
getting back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykimann View Post
Hi all

Jordanna....Huge congrats! That's awesome.

Joshb..you are a huge inspiration.

Mystic..you look fabulous!

As for me I am down 29 pounds this month and today we did inches and Im down 19 inches for the month. My goal of being a smoking hot bride is in my reach. woohoo!
Oh wow! Congrats!!!! 29lbs in a month???? the is hope!!!! I am at 178.8 today...goal is 150 by June 5th... If I could lose at your rate I'd be ready!!!

Oh I'm excited now! You go sassykimann!!!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #147  
getting back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulTricia View Post
also a tip I got... take some olive oil before your meal... that fat is what tells your brain that you are satiated.

I personally notice the sakes or desserts...IP mixes... make me hungrier than if I went without! LOL so I know it is burning something... take the oil and let me know
Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #148  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical Mamma View Post
Thank you Birman for helping me figure out how to upload pics! So anyhow, here goes! These are photo's of me taken at the beginning of my journey and again in March - 40 lbs lighter! Hope the link works!

http://picasaweb.google.com/10237881...uringAndAfter#
Old 03-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #149  

Height: 5'10"

OMG, MuayThaiGoddess! You've got to tell us what your doctor recommended removing from your diet. . . .the suspense is absolutely killing me! (I also cycle in and out of ketosis, so I understand that frustration)
Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #150  
getting back on track

@MuayThaiGoddess

You had posted this for me on last weeks thread:

"Yes, your situation sounds very very close to home indeed. one thing you have to know is this diet will not be easy for you. And if you keep throwing yourself out of ketosis- you WILL BE STARVING- because your body isn't eating your fat. i hardly eat my veggies because I have IBS and I'dr rather not have diarrhea all day. One thing is TECHNICALLY fat will not throw you out of ketosis- your body just has to burn off the fat you eat before you can burn your fat stores. I feel like i am starving ALOT which is unusual for most especially since I am in ketosis all the time and i am super strict. if i ever have anything that is a little off protocol it is a salad dressig with one carb and fat in it-= because like you said I am litereally starving and about to pass out- and I do that sometimes- but not alot and my ketosis still stays high- so it would be a little bit of a modified approach- have you talked to your coach about it? But you have to try to satisfy your stomach with an IP packet when you are starving instead of going out to eat because that will mess you up for days in stead of just adding a few calories. What are you eating everyday? what is your schedule? when do you usually get hungry? do you exercise at all?"

I never got a chance to answer but I believe what I needed was indeed a bit more fat in my system... but here goes anyway

have you talked to your coach about it? ...yes I have and they are just as baffled LOL

What are you eating everyday? I am following the Phase One protocol...except I can't eat that many veggies so now I stick to cucumbers

what is your schedule? Not a fixed schedule really...and I know I should be on one and try to eat every 3 to 4 ours...although the IP packs will make me feel hungry right away! hahaha

when do you usually get hungry? The worst time for me is around 3pm or so...or was as I think we figured it out now :-)

do you exercise at all? Yes I do...a personal trainer always (as you) but this week I've backed off a bit. I would go do at least some cardio 7 days a week (blame my Fiance for not taking breaks!) Right bow I try to not spend more than 20 minutes to a half hour tops... mostly resistance training to help muscles... not too heavy but not too light...just enough to get my muscles going a bit...other than that a pretty sedentary life style now...
Closed Thread