Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #391  
fluffymama

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical Mamma View Post
Good morning! Been off for few days. Feeling like bag of doggie doo doo for the past week. Finally starting to get some energy back today!

Went for my weigh in on Wednesday and am proud to say that I have now offficially lost 41 lbs!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Sooo happy that I am now 213! Hard to believe it because I haven't seen numbers on the scale like that in YEARS!!

Have been chronicling my progress in pictures and will post once I figure out how!

Now, off to read pages and pages of back posts!
Have a great weekend everyone!
that's great news!!!!! Congrats on an awesome loss!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #392  

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsiemom View Post
I have been having the same issues with getting light headed. I talked with my coach, she took my blood pressure, and it was pretty low. She recommended I increase my salt intake. She said the soups are highest in sodium, so have one of those, if you like them. I also just lick salt off my hand in the morning to make sure I'm getting salt all through the day. It has helped out quite a bit. Hope it works for you!

I have been crazy busy this week and haven't been able to log on at all. I'm also having a bad week with IP. I have felt off all week. I think I need to log on to keep me motivated. You guys are all great. I hope next week is better.
I too was light headed at times especially standing up too fast. Eat some extra salt but also drink about 8 oz of water with it. You could also be somewhat dehydrated.

To those of you feeling down, I believe it is lack of carbohydrates which does not ask the body to secrete the serotonin hormone. The feel good hormone. I hope MTG will research this and give us her thoughts.

To those of you feeling tired and kind of icky, ask your coach about taking an extra potassium for a few days. I have been taking 2 a day and have felt much better. I believe in your packets there is a sheet that says to take extra potassium for fatigue if the low blood pressure has been corrected with extra sea salt. If you are past the first week you should be ok with the blood sugar unless you are consuming too many carbs. Now that my potassium is built back up I am going to try to take 2 every other day and take 1 every day. If you are taking the Lindora potassium it has a considerably lower amount of potassium.

Congratulations to everyone with their losses and NSV's. You are all doing terrific!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #393  

When I started IP I was on a low dose blood pressure med and I was cautioned that if I became lightheaded, I should check with my MD as I might not need the medication any longer.

Sarkbait- I too tell myself, that this is not forever, and I will have ample opportunity to taste things again. It somehow calms me. I had a bridal shower and I ate before I went. I just couldn't eat what was served.

Had salmon tonight and it was soooo good. I used a little WF honey mustard for a sauce. Yummy.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #394  
fluffymama

Height: 5'7 1/2"

[QUOTE=Sarkbait;3220800]That is so great to hear!

I am on week 7 and I still haven't dropped any pant sizes... my weight loss is coming off from top to bottom, and it has been stuck on my bust line for awhile...
QUOTE]

ok, well it's nice to know that my body is not totally wacky because I haven't lost a pants size either and I had lost 24 lbs as of Monday. I have lost it all above my waist. I have changed shirt sizes, but not pant sizes. My pants are too big, but I haven't dropped enough to go down another size. It is very discouraging sometimes. I wish that my hips would totally disappear!
Old 03-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #395  
Started IP March 1, 2010

S/C/G: 201.6/150.6/140

Height: 5'8"

OK, you guys, I'm right there with the weight coming off from the top down. I'm still in the same 16 pants, but in a large and/or X-large top(not 1xlike before). I actually could get the 14's fastened if I layed on the bed, but I'm not into that anymore. Too uncomfortable. Kelsey....can't believe you can get into a 12.....so awesome. Just goes to show how different our bodies are.
Now, I really understand about the food at parties, but I'm here to tell you....my problem will beat that. I own a B&B that will open back up the middle of April. I won't go into detail as descriptions of food just aren't nice on this board, but I serve a full breakfast and do all my own baking, so you can use your imagination about what will be in my house in another month. That will be the true test of my willpower.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:50 AM   #396  

S/C/G: 240/240/142

Hello everyone I am a newbie starting the diet on Monday and I am trying to read as much info about all of your experiences before I start. I have done the Atkins diet before with a 40lb weight loss in 3 months but it didnt last long....so a friend of mine who is a chiropractor suggested I try this diet since he knew I had the determination but I ended up very sick while on the Atkins diet. I am still a little confused as to all of the rules but the bascis seem pretty easy to comprehend. Any suggestions to help me start on Monday?
Old 03-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #397  

S/C/G: 240/240/142

P.S. Did anyone have any immediate problems if they were on a blood pressure pill? I am on a low does and I am wondering if it has caused anyone major issues?
Old 03-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #398  
Goddess of Research

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'8

Alright guys, well at a request I did some research on low carb diets and their effects on serotonin levels and more on how it is produced and alternative ways to keep it up, and also signs and symptoms of low serotonin. And as always I spent way too long ( like THREE hours, but I just find it all so very interesting- the body is fastinating) okay back to the point.

There are alot of studies out there, one on the top of my head by MIT Clinical Research Center, That show that diets low in carbohydrates have been shown in clinical trials to dramatically decrease serotonin levels, especially in women (isn't it GREAT to be female) AND to STOP the regulation of serotonin in the brain. The main reason would be that carbohydrates are the main way that the body sets off the "chain reaction" to produce serotonin. Being that when you ingest carbohydrates it raises your blood sugar which produces insulin when then (i'm leaving out alot- lets keep this simple) sets off the precursor- L-tryptophan to start the production of serotonin. As you know our insulin levels are LOW- and were not really ingesting sweets or starches (mainly the ones that are needed for the production) so our production is severly decreased....

Side effects of low serotonin are :
* depression, emotional sensativity, irratibility
* sleep difficulties, insomnia
* anxiety
* headaches, migraines
*personality changes- loss of sense of humor etc
* chronic fatigue
*craving sweets and carbs ( as your body is trying to make more serotonin)
*loss of interest in usual activities
*memmory problems, trouble thinking and concentrating

Okay so, I have like almost all of the above symptoms, so at first I was thinking ( and I'm sure you are) WTF I CAN'T EAT CARBS!!
Well, I've looked up some alternative ways to keep your levels up without indulging!

These are natural ways to help produce Serotonin:
*Get some SUNSHINE! the sunshine helps to naturally produce serotonin- so get out there for that springtime walk- a couple of hours in optimal.
*Get adequate sleep- at least 7 hours a night. Sleep is needed to make serotonin and lack of sleep dramatically impairs your bodies ability to produce serotonin ( speaking of... I've gotta keep my eye on the clock!)
* Exercise regularly! Probably the most popular method- exercise helps to produce endophins and increase the level of serotonin in the brain- Just make sure you don't get your heart rate too high- or you will go into gluconeogenesis- where your body breaks down your muscle to make glycolgen for energy and that will kill your ketosis and your muscle stores- one of the reasons were not supposed to intensely exercise.
* Eat foods like chicken, turkey, and white fish as they help trytophan levels.
* You can also invest in a natural supplement like 5-HTP, (I DID) which helps with your production of serotonin and is reccomended with low carb diets, however if you are taking alot of SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) be mindful of it or talk to your doctor FIRST as it can cause a rare but llife threathening reaction called serotonin syndrome- which is when there is too much serotonin in your system. I've actually gotten it before and you usually have to be on like 10 different medications, so its EXTREMEMLY rare, but you can always err on the side of caution. But you can find it at GNC. I talk to my pharmacist ( I like CVS better than walgreens) when my doctor isn't available and they can usually give you the information you need for any medication reactions or supplements.

hope some of this was helpful and I'm sure I have forgotten some stuff.... oh yeah thats a side effect too.... memmory loss... HA - how convienent. But seriously, memmory loss and trouble concentrating are also signs of low serotonin-- see I'm losin my touch--- dang carbs... good night folks if I forgot anything else LOL Ill make sure to post it tomorrow and if you have any questions or comments feel free to ask. Or heck if you have any requests you can do that too (blue mermaid) NIGHT!!

Last edited by MuayThaiGoddess; 03-28-2010 at 03:05 AM. Reason: forgot a SYMPTOM! which is a symptom itself!
Old 03-28-2010, 03:00 AM   #399  
Goddess of Research

Question hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerMomof3 View Post
I am just finishing my third week on the plan. I lost for the first two weeks (7 pounds week 1 and 3 pounds week 2), but my scale is showing a 1.5 pound gain for the current week. Outside of that, I am feeling horribly lightheaded today. I have eaten my alotted veggies and meals, I am well rested, and I've stuck to this plan like glue. Can anyone offer an explanation for either of these 2 issues? I've heard that lightheadedness could be attributed to carb withdrawal, but I would have assumed that my body had dealt with that by now. Am I wrong? If the weight gain is water, then I'm not sure why. . . I don't have Tom anymore. Any thoughts?

Hmmm... now did you say your scale was showing a 1.5 pound weight gain for the week or the day? How far into week three are you? There are alot of variables that can be a perfectly reasonable explanation for the scale fluctuating.... but is it consistently or just one day?

I've struggled with light headedness and actually blacking out ( i always seem to get the short end of the stick) and it was usually because I needed another pack of protein because I had worked out or been very active, truly I think its low blood sugar but our levels are SUPPOSED to be stable because of the constant supply of fat being broken down... is there anyway you could have gone out of ketosis? That could definately cause both the problems youre having.........
Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 AM   #400  
Goddess of Research

Thumbs down bad moods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlasherea View Post
I sit here reading about the bars and chili and other meals and think "Man, my coach still has me on Bootcamp!" I haven't been able to try any of those meals including the crisps and puffs, but I am also a little nervous to try them. I don't want anything to hinder my progress. I go in for my week 3 weigh in on Wednesday, so they might offer me more selections, but I think I will stick with Bootcamp for a full 6 weeks and then see.

I had a great NSV today. Went to the store to return a Size 14 suit that was too big and bought a Size 12 outfit for Easter I tried it on for my boys and they were shocked at how much my body is changing. They are so supportive The only place my husband seems to notice is in my bust. He is in mourning!!!!!

I hope all who are struggling with depression and general bad moods can pull themselves out of it. Just know we are all in this together and we are all here for each other. Here's to smaller bodies, better health and better attitudes!!
Carla, I think that those of us who are dealing with depression, irratibility, or just bad moods if you prefer to call it... would have definately pulled ourselves out of it by now if we could have... I believe it has to do somthing more with a chemical or hormonal imbalance- definately one of serotonin- which can be worse in people who have a pre-disposition to being depressed- whether personally or in their family history. But maybe even one of estrogen- which is stored in fatty tissue- and since so much is being released the hormone is being released along with it- anywho my hormones and period have been going nuts and i would love nothing more than to be back to my joking happy bubbly self, but realize its not just a " pull yourself up by your bootstraps" kinda thing... it feels more like i got a damn rain cloud following me around.
Sorry if this seems *****y, maybe this is EXHIBIT A of this diets 3 week effect on me- and Im trying everything i can to get "myself" and my personality back but its MIA.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #401  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birman View Post
I used to be that way -- a highly functional single woman who could fix stuff. I once even bought some power tools and installed flooring in my attic all by myself. Then... I got married. My husband can fix absolutely anything. (He is a technician at a sub-atomic particle physics lab.) And... he enjoys doing it -- especially if he feels like he is helping me. When we were first dating he used to come to my condo and go around searching for stuff to fix.
Does your husband ever come to Washington, D.C.?
Old 03-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #402  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieRN2010 View Post
P.S. Did anyone have any immediate problems if they were on a blood pressure pill? I am on a low does and I am wondering if it has caused anyone major issues?
This actually relates to the lightheadedness question, which others have just addressed. I am on blood pressure meds and experienced an episode week 2, after I'd been out shoveling 30 inches of snow. I felt okay until a couple of hours later when I stood up from cleaning a lower shelf in my refrigerator and became lightheaded and a little woozy. I sat down and took my BP (which was quite low), put my feet up, consumed some water and sea salt, and ate an IP peanut bar -- the only restricted item I've had so far on this diet. I felt better after an hour or so, then had veggies for an early lunch. I was fine another hour after that.

Our IP coach advised us that this could occur on the diet, so from that point, I checked my BP a couple of times a day and it was running consistently low... systolic in the 90's and diastolic in the 50's. I felt a bit lightheaded a couple of times thereafter, though nothing like the initial episode -- just enough to sit down, have some water and sea salt, and let it pass. I have since reduced my BP med by half, and things seem to have evened out. If all goes well, I'm hoping to be able to cut out the BP meds entirely when I'm done with the diet.

Bottom line, I would just be aware that your BP may go down early into the diet, and watch for the signs. If you have a monitor, you'd do well to check and record your readings daily, and report any changes to your doctor. I wouldn't be surprised if you find that a change in dosage will be necessary. And of course, that would be a good thing.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #403  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
Novak- I loved your detailed plan while on vacation as I am going in a month. That is inspiring and gives me determination that I can do it too. I am going to a resort that is all-inclusive. Hope that works okay.
One other thing I forgot to mention... since finding additional veggies (especially at lunch) was often a problem, I picked up a bag of celery and munched on celery sticks when all I could get was a salad. They were easy to carry around in a plastic bag, and I actually went through quite a lot, sprinkled with sea salt.

If it's all-inclusive, just hit 'em hard for the foods you can eat and drink... including bottled water to mix any packets you bring along. If you are with someone more cooperative than my sisters, you can get them to try all the foods you'd eat if you could. And if they are particularly savvy, they will tell you that none of them really taste as good as they look.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #404  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuayThaiGoddess View Post
Alright guys, well at a request I did some research on low carb diets and their effects on serotonin levels and more on how it is produced and alternative ways to keep it up, and also signs and symptoms of low serotonin. And as always I spent way too long ( like THREE hours, but I just find it all so very interesting- the body is fastinating) okay back to the point.

and if you have any questions or comments feel free to ask. Or heck if you have any requests you can do that too (blue mermaid) NIGHT!!
Thanks so much Goddess!! I spend so much time on my computer and I did not have time to look up the information and since you are a research junkie I thought you would be up to the challenge. Very good information you shared with us! THANKS AGAIN!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #405  
:)

S/C/G: 222/195/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoSun View Post
OK, you guys, I'm right there with the weight coming off from the top down. I'm still in the same 16 pants, but in a large and/or X-large top(not 1xlike before). I actually could get the 14's fastened if I layed on the bed, but I'm not into that anymore. Too uncomfortable. Kelsey....can't believe you can get into a 12.....so awesome. Just goes to show how different our bodies are.
Now, I really understand about the food at parties, but I'm here to tell you....my problem will beat that. I own a B&B that will open back up the middle of April. I won't go into detail as descriptions of food just aren't nice on this board, but I serve a full breakfast and do all my own baking, so you can use your imagination about what will be in my house in another month. That will be the true test of my willpower.
OH NO, NOT ME.... it's Carla - Ms.Size 12 and sportin' it for Easter! I'm only a tad bit jealous, mostly encouraged!!! I am so happy for her.
Closed Thread