Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #166  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieG View Post
Josh - Scott: Congratulations to both of you for setting the bar SO high! Even if our bodies don't lose weight the same way, it is making this weighloss possible!

Week 2 (after Disney) weigh-in shows another 5# gone! In 2 weeks, this adds up to 13#... Cannot wait to be under 150!

Since August 4, 2009, this almost makes me 80# less... May try to reach 100# but not sure yet how motivation will keep up... That would leave 22 pounds to go!!
Wow, Sylvie, your break to Disneyland did not slow you down. Looks like you are back on track and headed down!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #167  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbrandi View Post
i started monday, and have lost 5 lbs i promised i wouldn't look at the scale but i was starving so i needed some motivation!!
5 pounds already! That is good motivation! You will have a great 1st week weigh in. Hang in there it gets easier! Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #168  

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1125 View Post
Hi all! Well, had my WI today and I've stayed exactly the same as last week. But I did have that KFC cheat on Sunday. But here's the thing, my coach said that she thinks I knocked myself out of ketosis since I didn't loose and am having all these cravings (even though I told her the cravings were driving me insane way before I cheated) so, she doesn't think I should eat any of the restricted stuff for a week, or at least 4 days till I'm back in ketosis. So, why would that matter? I've counted my carbs and even with the one restricted bar a day I'm still under the 30g (or was it 40g) carbs a day for ketosis, so why should it matter? I don't want to give up the bars cause I feel like they're the only thing keeping me sane.

Also, just curious maybe some of you have an answer, but how is it even possible, ketosis or not, to only be eating 700 cal/day and not loose anything for a week? I mean I lost inches still, but no lbs???
jen1125: are you sure that you're eating enough calories to sustain a continued loss? I would worry that only 700 calories is sending you into preservation mode. . . . what does your coach say about that?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #169  

S/C/G: 160/158/138

Height: 5'7"

Hey everyone! After my weigh in today, I would like to report that I lost .4 pounds! My dr/coach said that's fine and it's because I'm on phase 3. So I'm happy with that. Also, he approved the use of the Nestea packets I was talking about. He had one of the sample packets I brought and he said it was really good! I tried the peach one when I got home but my bf drank the rest. I didn't know peach tea was his favorite. Also I asked if I would gain the water weight back in phase 3 or 4 and the doc said no. I was under the impression that I might gain weight but I'm so happy that's not the case!!!

Have a good night everyone! Great job on all your losses and NSVs!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #170  
RJC

S/C/G: 250/235/225

Height: 6'0

Mom22 that was one of the best posts I've read in a LONG time.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 214/205/130 * 200/193/125

Hi All! Thanks for the warm welcome!

We had our second weigh in and are down again! I love this!
F - 4 lbs - total after 2 weeks - 12.8 lbs
B - 2 lbs - total after 2 weeks - 10 lbs

We got some of the WF products and they are so-so, still have to try a few more though!

You are all so inspirational and way to go everyone on your losses!

- Livybugg Ladies
Old 03-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #172  
Goddess of Research

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'8

Default website...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMermaid View Post
This is a website I came across when I first started IP. I think it has some useful information and may answer some of the questions you all are having. It has some of the same information we have in our packets we received from our coach but it also has some other things. I have not read it for awhile and am planning on reviewing it myself.

http://www.ihpweightloss.com/

Here is sentence out of the supplement section on this website. The supplement they are talking about here is potassium.

Remember our dieters are required to consume 4 cups of vegetables, two green salads and a portion of whole protein per day.
That is a paraphrased sentence inspired by the guidelines in the book. That website is not written by Dr.Chann himself but by people who implement his program. I wouldn't hold that sentence to the level that I would anything Dr.Chann wrote himself. You are NOT required to eat the whole protein, but that is generally how they implement the program, so it is easier for a dieter to have dinner with their family- it says some coaches have their clients on all packets but its not necessary because their is nothing wrong with having 7oz of fish instead. I do think it is important to get the vegetables in, however- measured carefully. I do not see anywhere he says its okay to skip them and personal experience would say I think my carb count has dropped too low when I was on the go and didn't get them. Its funny- people struggle to keep their count down- I struggle to keep them up- some days i had only 4 or 5- not recommended.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #173  

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
Sorry I'm behind... just got back from a week at Walt Disney World, and I'm trying to catch up. Birman, I could be wrong, but I think you are the only legit veggie on board. I'm pretty sure Ogdog and Sparkles have both mentioned eating seafood... as do I. That would make you the official resident expert, unless someone else fesses up. Congratulations!
Nice to see ya back Novak. Missed ya!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:28 AM   #174  
Goddess of Research

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Default citric acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonSparkles View Post
MuayThaiGoddess - what is the effect of citric acid on this diet? Why is it bad or why did you notice that the Diet Rite Tangerine soda has it in the ingredients? Really I guess I'm asking because someone just dropped a sample packet of Nestea Stick Packs in my lap at work. I'm reading the ingredients and they do have Splenda. Which is fine, I haven't used any today. I'll count it as 1 carb. It has 5 calories on the nutrition facts. The ingredients of the tangerine tea packet are : Citric acid, dextrose, potassium, citrate, decaffenated tea, natural flavoer, sucralose, silicon dioxide, soy lecithin, and yellow 6. Heh, isn't it funny we both like tangerine flavor?

Do you think I'm safe in drinking this stuff or is it a cheat? I won't drink it until after my weigh in anyway which is after work at 5:30. Oh and gosh, wouldn't you know it as soon as I mentioned my time of the month to you - and yes it did last 5 weeks!! - um now it started again. I only had 12 days off! I might just stop using Nuvaring all together because this makes me think my whole system is royally screwed up. My OBGYN assured me that Nuvaring was causing the problem and that I should use the it normally (3 weeks on, 1 week off) for 3 months to get my cycle back on track. Sorry for the details everybody. But I feel like you all are my buddies! I just hate craving chocolate and red wine all the time! ACK!! Posting on here keeps me honest. I swear I was in CVS yesterday looking at the sugar free chocolate section and they all had at least 26g of carbs PER SERVING! Each bag was a royal amount of servings too - 5+. Then I thought, "What I am doing? Have I gone mad? Put it back on the shelf and walk away." That's what I did. Oh but I'd really love some chocolate. I'm going to have a restricted bar after my weigh in for my evening snack. Maybe I'll take the Nestea packets in and ask my dr/coach if I can have them. What do you think? I keep thinking of you stocking the pastry display at SBUX and wow that must have been awful! You are a strong woman.

Hey Sparkles!!

I think that is such a good name for your bubbly, enthustiastic personality! Sorry I have been MIA, I have been short on time ( trying to research colleges and funding to get my butt back in there) it still is going to be until tomorrow until I can anwser your other long post ( which I LOVE and look forward to) but I am trying to go to bed earllier and its already 1 am and I want to be able to send back a respectable response-( and others, i feel derelict in my duties!) and I know, as blabby as I am, it will end up being two before I'm done, and I might get another wind and be up for the sunrise. You understand, insomniac's empathize with one another!

However, I wanted to let you know about the citric acid. Right now I am currently reading "The Ketogenic Diet, a guide for the dieter and practitioner" by Lyle McDonald, and I am enthralled in it. Right now I am reading alot of it on-line, but half of it is restricted viewing so I need to come up with the fifty bucks to buy it! It is basically the most researched book on the ketogenic diet with practically everything you can think of in it. Its pretty scientific in the beginning (but not too much) explaining exactly what your body is going through and all the chemical reactions taking place- so it gives you a better knowledge base of why everything you do produces a certain result from your body- as it is all science, or chemistry... not a mystery. Anywho, getting to the point, he points out numerous times that citric acid can interfere with ketosis and at one point (that I found very interesting) A study found that citric acid impeded ketosis and weight loss in a study of individuals on a low calorie diet-- that would be us! But in short--- no I do not think your tangerine nestea is a cheat! For goodness sakes girl, but to me, the POINT IS, that once you start reading labels... you'll see citric acid is in... well it seems like almost everything. So, if you started drinking 6 of those a day and all of a sudden you gained weight.... maybe you would NEVER think it could be that little nestea pack but it could be just too much citric acid in your diet.... its food for thought... no pun intended. See I've been saying that being knowledgeable makes us more in control of where we goand understanding why we are or aren't losing weight or inches because this diet has to do with very specific chemical reactions taking place in our body and sometimes, chemicals we don't even KNOW were consuming can be having an effect, and thats frustrating- the more we know- the more we can do and understand about our diet. I don't think its that we HAVE to cut it out but simply being CONSCIOUS of the fact your ingesting somthing that can throw that delicate chemical balance off is good to know... don't you think? But I generally find, one diet rite doesn't hurt me. Heck I lost 2 more pounds on the scale this morning... kinda weird.

Oh, and girl, ONLY if you are looking for a good laxative would you want to buy sugar-free candy- get that and a good book, because you will get something from your intestines that I like to call the Mississippi Tidalwave. Maybe a good toilet bowl cleaner would be a good idea too. Those sugar alcohols in large doses are like poison to your body and your system purges them out on the express lane. *This next line is vile, and may deter you from ever looking as SF candy again* But unless having diarrhea like expresso all day and the worst stomach cramps bloating and gas (YOUVE EVER HAD) sound appealing... steer clear of SF candy as if it were arsnic. I would say SERIOUSLY have a crunch bar instead because those candies kick you out of ketosis anyways- I know from numerous experiences-( I used to be a hard learner!) I'm cracking up because I realize how disgusting and well straight up that was- but from one friend to another- YOU NEEDED TO KNOW!

Oh, and I don't know how long you have been on Nueva ring... but if its in the beginning- I believe the OB's call it an * investment* (yeah whatever) basically you bleed alot in the beginning and then your system catches up and gets with the program- it needs to get adapted. When i got on mirena first- I bled all the time and then it really titrated down but the first ten weeks were crappy. Now its great, except when i started this diet- this diet messes with your hormones (insulin/ gllucagon) and alot of times can affect womens periods- I know in the beginning but with you being on it for two monthes... I don't know I guess it depends when you started the ring and possibly the two together could be getting used to each other. Another thing to research. I'm addicted to research. I hate it when I don't have the anwsers to anything- so I atleast throw theories out there that other people can go off of and look up!!

Also, are you seeing a regular chiropractor or a upper cervial doctor? i don't know why but I assumed that you were seeing an uppercervical chiropractor. Really you shouldn't have to wear that brace, i do not believe- your spine should be able to realign itself if the atlas and axis is corrected. it sounds crazy but it is flat out up there for first place for the most amazing thing i have ever seen in my life EVER EVER EVER. let me know. if you have never heard of upper cervical I need to get you more information on it- i could change your life- and your back- naturally.

alright I have go to go Sargent!! but had to touch base with my far away friend. Tell your boyfriend to hang in there. maybe there is somthing we can find that can accelerate his weight loss, or something he can change. DON'T GIVE UP! HES STILL DOING GREAT!

Ill write back to the other post tomorrow!! **Goddess

Last edited by MuayThaiGoddess; 03-25-2010 at 02:43 AM. Reason: NOT FINISHED!! OOPS!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #175  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom22 View Post

Instead of comparing my losses to what others were getting, I spent more time enjoying the change in me - find an old picture of yourself - you'll be amazed at the difference - catch a glimpse of yourself in a store window - notice how much you've changed. And I never wore my old fat clothes - once they were baggy, i stopped wearing them. I figured, I'm working at this hard, i'm going to make sure my clothes reflect the changes - I might wear the same two pairs of pants over and over again - but they fit and look so small that i'm still amazed.

I'm .3 lbs from my goal weight - yes .3! When I weighed in I was hoping that's I'd make it this week - my coach laughed and asked if I wanted to go pee to see if that would make a difference - I said - oh I already did that. I'm not worried at all. I'm in phase 3 and still losing - only 1.1 lbs this week but I'll take it. i could stay here for a good long time, it's so easy. Cost is not an issue - 1 IP packet a day - and only because they're easy. I figure I'll be in maintenance right away and then maybe in the fall i'll lose another few pounds. Right now I'm thinking that I could weigh less but always in the back of my mind i remember when i was 200 lbs and 150 was a distant dream. But here I am - one pound at a time, one week at a time...
Really excellent post, Mom22! Your approach to this diet is exactly what we all should strive for. I'm perfectly happy with -- almost comforted by -- the consistency with which I am losing. Three pounds a week works for me. And at the thirty+ pound mark, someone at my office FINALLY said something yesterday about how great I look.

You inspire me with your ability to keep plugging away and not letting the little hurdles trip you up. As I recall, in the end, the tortoise beats the hare... you are a poster child for perseverance. Congratulations on your success!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:22 AM   #176  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieG View Post
[B]

Week 2 (after Disney) weigh-in shows another 5# gone! In 2 weeks, this adds up to 13#... Cannot wait to be under 150!

Since August 4, 2009, this almost makes me 80# less... May try to reach 100# but not sure yet how motivation will keep up... That would leave 22 pounds to go!!
Congrats on getting back on target post-Disney! You've been at this awhile, and certainly earned the break...

I just got back from a week on property to celebrate my sister's birthday, including 3 nights on the concierge level at the Contemporary, where they put out food and drinks all day long: pastries for breakfast, snacks at lunch, hors d' oeurves with wine and beer at dinner, desserts with cordials at night. I had toyed with the idea of going off diet for the week, but in the end, I did my best to stay on plan. The food offerings actually helped me, since my sisters could graze freely while I mixed my packets with Evian, piled up crudites, and sipped decaf espresso. Restaurants were a little tougher, as you really have no control over food prep in the kitchen, and I sometimes had to go with the restricted food items I normally avoid.

I was able to stay in ketosis (I checked my Ketostix every morning), and any unintentional carb infractions were offset by lots of walking -- often pushing my sister's wheelchair. In the end, I still managed to lose 3 pounds, and the added exercise tightened up my legs and glutes considerably!

Anyway, though I managed quite well, I look forward to going back when I can partake of the food and wine I usually enjoy there. Still, I'm very pleased that I had the will power to stay focused and continue to lose.

Last edited by Novak; 03-25-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #177  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1125 View Post
Hi all! Well, had my WI today and I've stayed exactly the same as last week. But I did have that KFC cheat on Sunday. But here's the thing, my coach said that she thinks I knocked myself out of ketosis since I didn't loose and am having all these cravings (even though I told her the cravings were driving me insane way before I cheated) so, she doesn't think I should eat any of the restricted stuff for a week, or at least 4 days till I'm back in ketosis. So, why would that matter? I've counted my carbs and even with the one restricted bar a day I'm still under the 30g (or was it 40g) carbs a day for ketosis, so why should it matter? I don't want to give up the bars cause I feel like they're the only thing keeping me sane.

Also, just curious maybe some of you have an answer, but how is it even possible, ketosis or not, to only be eating 700 cal/day and not loose anything for a week? I mean I lost inches still, but no lbs???
Well, if you lost inches, then you probably lost some fat pounds. The same cubic footage of muscle weighs about 3 times more than body fat. Sounds like you'd like a clinic that does body fat analysis. Water retention or feces retention (ick-sorry) could also make it look like you haven't lost weight when you really have. If you're following the plan and don't get discouraged, you will continue to lose. I can go 3-4 days without a loss, then drop 2 overnight. Other people can lose even more. Also, you have to consider time of day when you weigh in, clothing choice, and what you just ate or drank. One 16-ounce glass full of water adds a full pound to your weight. I know what you mean about the bars keeping you sane. I agree. I have a bar just about every day. I'm losing about 2 1/2 pounds per week, which is great for me.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #178  
Started IP 2-18-10

Week 5 down 5lbs more lbs yea!!!! After being unemployed for 15 months I start a new job after Easter and what a moral booster to be able to wear clothes a couple of sizes smaller than when I left the work force. I am going to wait one more week and next Friday I'm off to the mall. Feeling Goooooood!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #179  
Started IP Aug 4/09

S/C/G: 235/146/130 Healthy BMI=140

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
I was able to stay in ketosis (I checked my Ketostix every morning), and any unintentional carb infractions were offset by lots of walking -- often pushing my sister's wheelchair. In the end, I still managed to lose 3 pounds, and the added exercise tightened up my legs and glutes considerably!

Anyway, though I managed quite well, I look forward to going back when I can partake of the food and wine I usually enjoy there. Still, I'm very pleased that I had the will power to stay focused and continue to lose.
Novak, you have iron willpower!! I just could not resist the Mickey Mouse shapped waffles! (Also gained 7 pounds...) Fatigue is somehow still there from the trip - never walk as much as I did on that week!!

As for exercise, I believe it may be slowing down my weightloss but it sure brings my energy level back up and as for toning, does a wonderfull job! I try to see it as a long term investment on my health...

Scalehoppers! How much does your weight fluctuate over a week? I find myself going up 3 pounds over the past few days without cheating! Getting worried
Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #180  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by committed1 View Post
Its hard to keep up with you all!

2 questions:

Corned Beef...allowed? It is not on my list and besides the high salt content, I am not sure what is wrong with it.

Exercise....who is doing it? My coach just said to ease back into it and I should be fine, no need for an extra packet or protein. What are yours telling you?
Here is a nutritional breakdown for 4 oz. of corned beef. I wouldn't eat it. It has almost 21 g. of fat! And 3 1/2 g. of carbs.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 entree / 4 oz

Amount per Serving

Calories 283
Calories from Fat 185

Total Fat 20.6g
Saturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 105.75mg
Sodium 1282.42mg
Total Carbohydrate 3.4g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Protein 19.73g