3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

IP Chat - Week of March 15 - 21st

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #376
Senior Member
 
Birman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 253

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

Default

Quote:
I don't use soy sauce anymore, I found this one soy sauce substitue called amino acid by the Bragg brand. it only has 100 mg of sodium, way less than even low sodium soy sauce. then, eat sushi without guilt
We want to be a careful with the serving size thing.

Bragg would love for us to believe that their Liquid Amino product is low sodium. The Bragg website even goes so far as to say that their product has only a “small amount of naturally occurring sodium”. A “serving” of their product has 160 mg of sodium, as compared to 920 mg for a “serving” of regular soy sauce. Sounds great, doesn’t it?

Unfortunately though, Bragg Liquid Aminos is not a low sodium product. Here is the nutritional information for Kikkoman regular soy sauce, Kikkoman low sodium soy sauce, and Bragg Liquid Aminos.



See the whopping difference in serving size? Bragg uses an exceptionally small ˝ teaspoon “serving size”, whereas the “serving size” of soy sauce is a tablespoon. There are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon. That means that it takes 6 servings of Bragg Liquid Aminos to equal the same serving size as soy sauce.

Comparing apples to apples then:



We see that not only does Bragg Liquid Aminos not have less sodium per tablespoon than low sodium soy sauce, but it actually has more sodium per tablespoon than standard soy sauce. And much more than low sodium soy sauce.

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with Bragg Liquid Aminos. I myself have some in my fridge. (That's why I know about it.) Just want to mention that it is not a low sodium, guilt-free pleasure, is all.
Birman is offline  
Old 03-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #377
Senior Member
 
CinnamonSparkles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 268

S/C/G: 160/158/138

Height: 5'7"

Default

Birman - I love your analysis. Every time you post an analysis of something, it helps me. Thank you! I haven't bothered with different soy sauce because it's an allowed spice. I use the low sodium Kikkoman. Not that it's really "low" sodium but... 1 Tbsp is all I use when I use it. Now I see that I inadvertently have made the right choice on that one. Woot!
CinnamonSparkles is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 12:25 AM   #378
Senior Member
 
Chaplains wifey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: washington
Posts: 201

S/C/G: 248/155/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzMa View Post
I did a search on Fitday.com for veggies calories and carbs and created a table. My coach also says to aim for 25g of carbs or less, but the magic number is 40g; meaning that as long as you stay under 40g carbs/day, you will stay in ketosis.
I am going to try to attach my table (I had to cut and paste my Excel file to Word in order to upload):
Thank you that is very helpful .
Chaplains wifey is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #379
Start Date Oct 26/09
 
Mom22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 203

S/C/G: 199/148.6/150

Height: 5'4"

Default

For those who are wondering how much protein you need in a day - here's How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Your Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
2. Your Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day
__________________


Mom22 is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 02:11 AM   #380
Goddess of Research
 
MuayThaiGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississippi- close to Memphis...
Posts: 156

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birman View Post
We want to be a careful with the serving size thing.

Bragg would love for us to believe that their Liquid Amino product is low sodium. The Bragg website even goes so far as to say that their product has only a “small amount of naturally occurring sodium”. A “serving” of their product has 160 mg of sodium, as compared to 920 mg for a “serving” of regular soy sauce. Sounds great, doesn’t it?

Unfortunately though, Bragg Liquid Aminos is not a low sodium product. Here is the nutritional information for Kikkoman regular soy sauce, Kikkoman low sodium soy sauce, and Bragg Liquid Aminos.



See the whopping difference in serving size? Bragg uses an exceptionally small ˝ teaspoon “serving size”, whereas the “serving size” of soy sauce is a tablespoon. There are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon. That means that it takes 6 servings of Bragg Liquid Aminos to equal the same serving size as soy sauce.

Comparing apples to apples then:



We see that not only does Bragg Liquid Aminos not have less sodium per tablespoon than low sodium soy sauce, but it actually has more sodium per tablespoon than standard soy sauce. And much more than low sodium soy sauce.

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with Bragg Liquid Aminos. I myself have some in my fridge. (That's why I know about it.) Just want to mention that it is not a low sodium, guilt-free pleasure, is all.
excellent analysis- Thats always the first thing i look at after the calories and carbs is SERVING SIZE because alot of times companies like to make it look better by making the serving very small. sneaky.
MuayThaiGoddess is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 02:44 AM   #381
Goddess of Research
 
MuayThaiGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississippi- close to Memphis...
Posts: 156

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'8

Default Concerns about transitioning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacerp View Post
I read his book (online) the day before I started too. My only worry about doing this (packets only) is what happens when you start the other phases and add food (and more calories) into your diet? Maybe it's the same as doing the regular Phase 1 and going into the other phases... Your thoughts?
Stacerp, I acknowledge your concern about the transition from having the packets to ingesting more solid foods in the diet... but I' m not exactly sure what your fear is the result would be. I have a few guesses. You are unsure if you go to long on just packets and add food in that your body will gain weight because it will become accustomed to the packets and fewer calories (only minimally if that, my primary concern is the carbohydrates and the precise chemical balance of the diet.) You can surely set this fear aside. While we are in ketosis, we are allowing our pancreas to rest and once we start digesting more foods, our body will be able to handle the new foods and carbohydrates with better accuracy than ever before producing just the right amount of insulin so we can use it for fuel and not too much and storing it and then being left hungry again because it was never used for fuel- it was stored. Also, another thing to keep in mind is that when you go back to eating solid foods that it will actually take MORE calories just for your body to break it down to process it to use it for food- that is one of the main aspects of your metabolism thats why if you eat six times a day you have a faster metabolism because you are keeping it revved up all day long. And another point is that, normally when people are digesting so few calories like we are they go into sarvation mode and use up theeir muscle mass which would be a BIG problem when you went back to eating more solid foods and more calories- HOWEVER- since our bodies are in ketosis are bodies are actually getting alot more calories and/or energy than we are just ingesting because it is using our fat stores- that is why it is so important to stay in ketosis- because if you don't- we are starving ourselves- if we are in ketosis- our bodies are well fed on our fat supplies. And further more when you reach phase two you will have all of your lean muscle mass waiting for you( also another unheard of concept with such a dramatic diet) and that will rev up your metabolism- especiallly if you start incorporating in exercise. So basically I think you have nothing to worry about as long as you stay as disiplined as you have been throughout all four phases. I am just trying to make the most out of the first phase because my intense muay thai is not meshing well with this diet for various reasons and so I would like to expedite this part if possible and stay on the other phases for as long as necessary but missing my training is breaking my heart and my spirit!
MuayThaiGoddess is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 03:21 AM   #382
Goddess of Research
 
MuayThaiGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississippi- close to Memphis...
Posts: 156

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'8

Default Sparkles of joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonSparkles View Post
MuayThaiGoddess - that stinks to have insomnia! Sorry you couldn't sleep last night. That is the worst! I see you edited your post at 3:22am. I am silly when I can't sleep - I end up just laying in bed all night because I'm stubborn and won't let myself get up and do things. Anyway, my back needs the physical rest of laying down. Ugh! I wonder if this Calm stuff is actually helping me sleep? I've been sleeping well since I started taking it but that could be due to any number of factors, including taking less pain medicine.

Glad to hear you feel stronger than ever on IP! Day 10 and what a long, strange trip it's been. Lemme count... Today is my 55th day. I am almost into my 3rd food journal. No wonder your weight loss has been so phenominal! You're eating the packets only. I read that in Dr. Tran's book too. I would have liked to have tried that since cooking just takes forever (too bad I didn't think of doing that at the beginning). I feel like I spend soooo much time preparing food in the kitchen now. I have cut my thumb 2x in the past 3 weeks too. I just bought a steel glove so I won't cut the tip of my thumb off by accident! "Oh what happened to your thumb?" "The Ideal Protein diet!" It's cool that you can afford the extra expense and that it's more convenient for you to eat the packets only! I enjoyed reading Dr. Tran's book. I read it right after I started. Maybe I could use a re-read of it now. How's your book coming? If you want a reader/editor, I'd be happy to read it.

About the daily calories...If you care to track them and know exactly how much fuel your body is getting, I just started using fitday.com and I love the level of detail. You just put what you are eating and how much and it shows you a complete nutritional profile for each day. You can also track your activities/workouts and a whole bunch of other things on it, but I haven't started doing that yet. Just seeing the nutritional values of all the foods is interesting. I've had to enter the IP packets as "custom foods" but that's easy since the label has all the info on it. I think Jordanna uses it too.

I'll help you kick those devilish donut's butts out of your way if they start following you! I'd grab them and put them straight down the garbage disposal!! Woosh and gone! Your weight loss is awesome - 14 pounds in 9 days is really something!!! I bet people have noticed. You haven't gotten any comments yet, but that doesn't mean no one has noticed. People are self-absorbed anyway. You're totally right that if it took you say 14 weeks to lose those 14 pounds you would be depressed that no one said anything. Just wait, you'll get some comments this week for sure! I saw a friend last night I haven't seen at all since I went on IP and the first thing out of her mouth was, "You look great! What did you do?" Woot!

Thanks for the comment on my bird observations. Glad I made you laugh! The birds are singing so lovely this week in the mornings. They are heralding the arrival of spring.
Ahh.. Sparkles, as always wonderful to hear from you! You're always bubbling with enthusiasm- love it!!

HAHA love the face that you notice I edited my post! I actually edited it 3 times LOLOL! I apparantly become retarted when I can't sleep- I'M SO GLAD IT DOESN'T SO HOW MANY TIMES WE EDITED IT! I lay in bed alot too but i get so sick of it because I will literally lay there for 7 or 8 hours and so then it just doesn't make my bes a place of rest- more like a place of torture and turmoil. Xanax helps- but It makes my body feel crappy the next day and ambien makes me sleep clean and well... God another FDA label- not good. I should try the calm stuff. they have calm tea at starbucks that helps me- since i came off of copious amouts of heavy duty meds.

YES! I AM THRILLED YOU ASKED! I WOULD LOVE YOU TO READ AND EDIT MY BOOK! I have always wanted someone to but either people knew too much or they weren't "really interested" or whatever so I stopped writing for a while but i have some excerpt i can send you- they are pretty vicious- like i have a very vicious sense of humor- alot of people think its funnny but it would be such a motivation for me to keep going if I know Ill be sending them to you! I was so excited to see you said that!


I will check out fitday.com and start plugging my stats in there. also i think that my intense training is messing something up- because i gained weight today after my personal session yesteray and all my neck and face was tingling and going to sleep and my muscles around my jaw were seizing up and i was geting to the point where i couldn't open my mouth.. AHHH this is driving me nuts--- i had to have a packet before my walk and two after to calm it down= thats what it was- that and needing more salt. but the brisk long walks seem to be working better- BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND that truly i don't i need to do more research- i was a personal trainer and anything like this that baffles me with the body and diet and exercise drives me nuts I like to know EVERYTHING. it just doesn't make sense--- you would think it would make you go even further into ketosis because of the depletion of carbs but like i said i need to do more research. I'm so sad about my classes I'm going to have to stick to speed bad and heavy bags- super light activity- i'm depressed. but how could that make me GAIN weight. this drives me bananas because i know my diet is meticulous- i follow the athletic protocol when i have to and the regular when i have to. I'm just going to have to study ketosis more.

oh yeah on a side note- I thought it was a funny thought that ADT was getting free advertising from birds... pretty sneaky huh? ah the sweet sounds of... burglery in the morning? haha! Let me know how to start sending you excerpts about my book and if you know more about my training and that obnoxious 1.5 raise on the scale- I'm about to bury it. I mean really WTF is going on- i have done nothing to GAIN weight.nnnGRRRRRRR.
MuayThaiGoddess is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #383
Senior Member
 
BlueMermaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 425

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuayThaiGoddess View Post
Stacerp, I acknowledge your concern about the transition from having the packets to ingesting more solid foods in the diet... but I' m not exactly sure what your fear is the result would be. I have a few guesses. You are unsure if you go to long on just packets and add food in that your body will gain weight because it will become accustomed to the packets and fewer calories (only minimally if that, my primary concern is the carbohydrates and the precise chemical balance of the diet.) You can surely set this fear aside. While we are in ketosis, we are allowing our pancreas to rest and once we start digesting more foods, our body will be able to handle the new foods and carbohydrates with better accuracy than ever before producing just the right amount of insulin so we can use it for fuel and not too much and storing it and then being left hungry again because it was never used for fuel- it was stored. Also, another thing to keep in mind is that when you go back to eating solid foods that it will actually take MORE calories just for your body to break it down to process it to use it for food- that is one of the main aspects of your metabolism thats why if you eat six times a day you have a faster metabolism because you are keeping it revved up all day long. And another point is that, normally when people are digesting so few calories like we are they go into sarvation mode and use up theeir muscle mass which would be a BIG problem when you went back to eating more solid foods and more calories- HOWEVER- since our bodies are in ketosis are bodies are actually getting alot more calories and/or energy than we are just ingesting because it is using our fat stores- that is why it is so important to stay in ketosis- because if you don't- we are starving ourselves- if we are in ketosis- our bodies are well fed on our fat supplies. And further more when you reach phase two you will have all of your lean muscle mass waiting for you( also another unheard of concept with such a dramatic diet) and that will rev up your metabolism- especiallly if you start incorporating in exercise. So basically I think you have nothing to worry about as long as you stay as disiplined as you have been throughout all four phases. I am just trying to make the most out of the first phase because my intense muay thai is not meshing well with this diet for various reasons and so I would like to expedite this part if possible and stay on the other phases for as long as necessary but missing my training is breaking my heart and my spirit!
If you gained weight after your workout it could just be your body holding water shielding your sore muscles. I am a little concerned with what I think I read in one of your posts. Are you trying to not eat any vegetables and just eat IP packs? I seen you ate some broccoli and pickles. Have you told your coach this is your approach to this diet? Are you able to go the bathroom? I don't know how safe it is for you to only be having the carbs you are getting from the IP packets but if your coach is okay with that then so be it. I think the possiblity exists to miss our vegetables once in awhile but my coach is pretty stern about 4 cups a day plus the lettuce.
__________________


BlueMermaid is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #384
Senior Member
 
Chaplains wifey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: washington
Posts: 201

S/C/G: 248/155/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMermaid View Post
If you gained weight after your workout it could just be your body holding water shielding your sore muscles. I am a little concerned with what I think I read in one of your posts. Are you trying to not eat any vegetables and just eat IP packs? I seen you ate some broccoli and pickles. Have you told your coach this is your approach to this diet? Are you able to go the bathroom? I don't know how safe it is for you to only be having the carbs you are getting from the IP packets but if your coach is okay with that then so be it. I think the possiblity exists to miss our vegetables once in awhile but my coach is pretty stern about 4 cups a day plus the lettuce.
I just asked my coach if I could strat doing some weights to help with all the weight I had already loss. She told me no .She siad just to keep doing my walking ( 3 to 4 miles ) a day until I reach my goal then start strength excercise to firm up . She said I wont loose as fast if I start now and that I would possibly gain . I really want to start toning up . I have lost over 50 lbs and Im nervous Im just going to end up being flabby . I have 30 more lbs to loose . Any thoughts?
Chaplains wifey is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #385
Senior Member
 
Chaplains wifey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: washington
Posts: 201

S/C/G: 248/155/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom22 View Post
For those who are wondering how much protein you need in a day - here's How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Your Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
2. Your Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day
Thank you .This is good to know .
Chaplains wifey is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #386
Senior Member
 
Chaplains wifey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: washington
Posts: 201

S/C/G: 248/155/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birman View Post
Within reason, I don't think it's the calories that make the key difference so much as the carbs (and fat). Personally, I think one could successfully start on Phase 2 -- eating real food -- instead of Phase 1 as long as they watched their intake levels. (Personally, I've never done the packets.)
I think your right . Its our carbs we have to be careful about right now .
Chaplains wifey is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #387
Senior Member
 
Chaplains wifey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: washington
Posts: 201

S/C/G: 248/155/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical Mamma View Post
I normally only make individual servings of the salad dressing because otherwise the jello soaks up all the liquid and becomes, well, jello!
For each serving, I use a tiny bit of the powder. Maybe the tip of a tsp? May have to play with the amounts to get the amount that seems right for you!
So how much of everything do you use to make a single serving ? Thank you .
Chaplains wifey is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #388
Senior Member
 
Chaplains wifey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: washington
Posts: 201

S/C/G: 248/155/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
That's a good idea. Thanks for the tip.
I do this also and it does work ! Good job everyone . I love all these great tips !
Chaplains wifey is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #389
Senior Member
 
Chaplains wifey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: washington
Posts: 201

S/C/G: 248/155/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical Mamma View Post
Kelsey -Welcome to 3FC!!! Glad you enjoyed the coffee/capp/pudding combo's!! I love my morning coffee and the cappuccino and choc pudding only add to the enjoyment!!

NSV = Non scale victory!

Chaplain's wifey - Glad you like the raspberry jello for salad dressing! So yummy, eh! I also will use the Walden Farms raspberry jam in my dressings. Blend it really well with oil/vinegar and spices. So delish!
Can I get the coffee / cappuchino receipe?
Chaplains wifey is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #390
Senior Member
 
Chaplains wifey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: washington
Posts: 201

S/C/G: 248/155/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
Thank you so much Carlasherea! I have read a lot of your stuff. You're always sweet. Thanks for the Will Power Dust - today it seems I may need it. I'm hungry, maybe lunch will be early today!
Hang in there .Get thru the first week and its so much easier and you wont be hungry . Its amazing .
Chaplains wifey is offline  
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IP Chat - Week of March 8 - 14th jordanna Ideal Protein Diet 551 03-19-2010 05:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2