Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #91  
Simplymar

Height: 5ft 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilk View Post
I measure our veggies in a measuring cup. Some of the veggies fit awkwardly, but for the most part it has worked well. When I eat broccoli or cauliflower, I cut them up into smaller pieces (which is how I prefer to eat them), so they actually fit pretty well in the measuring cup. Our veggies of choice lately have mostly been field greens and turnips, both of which measure pretty well in the cups. Hope this helps!
I've been measuring all my vegetables on a scale so that's it more accurate.
Broccoli - 1 cup = 88 Grams
Cauliflower - 1 cup = 100 Grams
Celery - 1 cup = 120 Grams
Cucumber - 1 cup = 133 Grams
Mushrooms - 1 cup = 70 Grams
Tomato - 1 cup = 90 Grams
Green Pepper - 1 cup = 92 Grams
Spinach - 1 cup = 81 Grams
Asparagus - 1 cup = 134 Grams
Zucchini - 1 cup = 124 Grams
Dill Pickle - 1 cup = 143 Grams
Onion - 1 cup = 115 Grams
Old 01-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #92  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzMa View Post
OK everyone. Here is a question for you. How are you measuring your veggies ? Do you put them in a cup and measure, or on a weigh scale and measure 8 oz? There is quite a difference between these measures. How do you suppose Fit Day and the like do their measures (8 oz vs 1c show different values on fit day)?
I just think it is hard to measure stuff like broccoli and cauliflower in a measuring cup (one florette could be one cup). What do your coaches recommend?
I, personally haven't been too concerned about my veggies and I have been eyeballing most of the time, but I think I might not be getting enough (I'm not hungry, and my weight is dropping).
Curious to see what you all are doing!

I went and bought several 2 cup snap rubbermaid containers from Target. Each week I measure out each container with what vegetables I am going to use. Since it is a 2 cup container that is my measure...if it fits, its good!

When you measure there is a difference due to wet and dry measurements. Always measure wet in a ozmeasuring cup and and anything dry in a cup measuring series(1/4cup/1/2 cup/etc)

Hope that helps!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #93  

@ supersweet: HEY!! I am so glad to see your post! WOW, I love the info you just shared. I knew we needed to be low carb but my coach never put it into numbers! I think it is nice of your coach to help people do what they can to stick with the program. That is so important. I agree with you about the cheats extending the time and not resting the pancreas. For me that is key to doing the plan as written so I can get the fullest benefit.
HMM??? Superbowl ideas. Well, you can do the spicy chicken nuggets that were posted yesterday on here with a homemade wing sauce, cut up veggies, salads, stuffed mushroom caps, mushroom sliders (I make mini hamburgers, grill the small Portobello mushroom caps and use 2 small mushroom caps to make a bun for the meat), romaine rollups with sliced ham and assorted veggies, stuffed chicken breast slices. ( I pound out chicken breast, sauté mushroom, garlic, spinach and mix with 1 or 2 crumbled pieces of bacon, then stuff the mixture into the chicken breast, roll up and bake. then chill, slice, and serve. It looks pretty and is easy to eat on top of salads or wherever. ) BARBECUE meats and veggies. You can do a homemade plan ok marinade or rub and make up barbecue. Are you doing root veggies? Try the turnip fries if you are. Serve some dill pickles. Mayoless deviled eggs (mayo if your coach oks it). Texas style homemade chilli (no tomatoes, not cooked onion, no beans just a spicy seasoned carne). teriyaki turkey meatballs in a homemade on plan teriyaki sauce. Ok. that is it for my ideas tonight! LOL

showgirlaz...Thank you so much for your ideas...please keep them coming!!!! I will check out the chili recipe later today. What is your homemade teriyaki sauce and meatballs?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #94  

mmmmm I'd like homemade meatballs in teriyaki too!! please share the recipe showgirlaz!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #95  
WyoPrincess

S/C/G: 226/208/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
mmmmm I'd like homemade meatballs in teriyaki too!! please share the recipe showgirlaz!
I just thought the exact same thing LOL! Please do share the recipe!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #96  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanO View Post
Totally FELL OFF the plan last night. The first time in 12 weeks, I even made it through the holidays on plan. But the good news is, I don't feel BAD mentally. I am not beating myself up this. I will be honest and admit that I am having some depression issues & I have had these issues in the past. I thought the diet was helping with my issues but I get ANGRY at the drop of a hat.

I was sitting with a group of friends playing game last night & I just wasn't in the mood. They all commented that I was pale & just not me. I had not planned to cheat but with my mood & lack of energy, I caved. It felt SOOOOO GOOOOOD! Within minutes, I was me again, well sorta. I over did it & my tummy was sore by the end of it, but with in 5 minutes, I felt like myself. So my new plan is to stay off IP products for 2 weeks, till after my 30th bday, but to follow Phase 4 & then to get right back on for the last 20lbs.

BY NO MEANS DO I ENCOURAGE THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR. I need it at this point to stay SAIN & be my happy self. My poor little son wasn't doing anything wrong & all I did was yell at him, I need to reign myself back in. So I just wanted to tell you, hope I only gain 5 lbs in the next 2 weeks as a result of my indulgence before I get back on plan. Thanks for listening.
Hey MeghanO!

I am soooo sorry. I am glad you are feeling better though! I know that you must have been at the limit after all you have been through.

I was told that low carb diets can be very challenging in general for people but even more so for those with depression or mental health issues. I too have suffered depression, anxiety, OCD, and post traumatic stress disorder. My problems were created by extreme prolonged stress situations and a low serotonin level. When I started this program it was a discussion I had because, reduced carbs will, for some people, cause an impact to the serotonin in your body. (a relationship that was first observed in 1898) It is a reason being studied at present for why some people become quite carb addicted. Our bodies can utilize carbs to create a state where there is an increased availability of the amino acid trytophan in our blood and brain to increase our serotonin availability; protein actually can inhibit that state. Serotonin is the chemical neurotransmitter that regulates:

· the onset of sleep,

· sensory perception, (pain perception)

· mood and depression, and appetite

· body temperature,

· hyperacusis (noise sensitivity)…

· photophobia (sensitivity to light)

You may wish to talk to your doctor, nutritionist or coach about this and, if it might effect you, what can be done, even temporarily, as you step back onto the program.

I know what I was told that sugars and starches create the biggest insulin need and available tryptophan. I was also told that whole grains that are LOW GI create a much smaller insulin need but still allow for the tryptophan to reach the brain and help in the serotonin production process. (maybe a temporary switch to a modified phase 1 or 2 allowing for some low gi carbs of fruit or whole grain would help you?)
ALSO I was told that B6 helps the body to manufacture serotonin and OMEGA3/6/9 with fish oil has the benefit of increasing serotonin, reducing depression but the exact reason for this chemically is still being pinned down. There is also some benefit for some in taking melatonin at night to sleep. The melatonin our bodies is made from our serotonin and the winter low light also uses up our serotonin, by supplementing with melotonin before bed it helps some to preserve there own serotonin for use during the day helping prevent significant reductions in the serotonin and related mood impact. The last thing I was told was vitamin c can help some with depression and mood.

I CAN NOT say what you should do but I found the information provided to me very interesting because of my history with low serotonin. I was on prozac at one point in time and haven't been for nearly a decade. I didn't want to trigger my problems because of the rapid changes to my body chemistry so this information was helpful for me and led to a good conversation with my doctor. We picked an approach for me that I hope will help. I am still 4 weeks behind you in the program so I AM SO GRATEFUL for you sharing your stages and what you are going through. Please stay on the boards and share with us how you are doing on your phase 4 break! I know it will be helpful for me!
Old 01-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #97  
Started IP 1/19/10

S/C/G: 257.8/203.8/170

Height: 5'7

Hello!
Day 6 here.
Things have been going pretty well.. I finally got over the hunger but Im still having serious cravings, headaches, and my kidneys hurt!! I am definitely drinking way over the amount of water and I am getting all my salt in.. So Im not sure whats going on...
Other than that things went well.. Atleast I made it through my first weekend... It was really hard last night to not drink watching all of my other friends drinking.. but I made it through one weekend of many so I guess I can keep it up!
I loved reading through everyones posts! Got some good things going on! I'm cooking the Naked Boneless Nuggets now... They smell delish!
I don't go for my 1st weigh-in until Tuesday! I could really use some motivation right now so I kinda wish it was tomorrow but I promise myself I could make it atleast a week to try it and its not been so bad! So I really wanna stick it out!
Just feeling a little down!
Hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend!
Old 01-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #98  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie09 View Post
Hello!
Day 6 here.
Things have been going pretty well.. I finally got over the hunger but Im still having serious cravings, headaches, and my kidneys hurt!! I am definitely drinking way over the amount of water and I am getting all my salt in.. So Im not sure whats going on...
Other than that things went well.. Atleast I made it through my first weekend... It was really hard last night to not drink watching all of my other friends drinking.. but I made it through one weekend of many so I guess I can keep it up!
I loved reading through everyones posts! Got some good things going on! I'm cooking the Naked Boneless Nuggets now... They smell delish!
I don't go for my 1st weigh-in until Tuesday! I could really use some motivation right now so I kinda wish it was tomorrow but I promise myself I could make it atleast a week to try it and its not been so bad! So I really wanna stick it out!
Just feeling a little down!
Hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend!
Hey Byrdie!!

Great job last night! I am sure you made a great impression with your level of dedication.

I can't wait to try those chicken nuggets they sound so good!!

I know the excitement must be high for your weigh in. Just think of what the extra 2 days might bring... another pound of weightloss?? Probably! So be patient for the weigh in; it WILL be worth it. I remember how I felt after my first weigh in! I was sooo excited and energetic. It was amazing the results I had and it was so worth the whole first week's effortst to get it! YOU CAN DO THIS! Smile, have a cup or tea, take a hot bath, do something that makes you feel good and keep yourself moving to tuesday! I can't wait to see your results posted!

carla
Old 01-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #99  

Hey Byrdie - good job last night! I'm sure it was tough.

Have you talked to your coach about your kidneys hurting? Maybe they have a suggestion for you about that? Maybe you need some extra salt for a little while? I know my coach said to drink a 1/3 tsp salt to 8 oz water mixture if I got a headache in the first week. I drank one yesterday when I woke up with a headache and 15 minutes later it was gone.

I know you can do it!! Two more days to weigh in is nothing, when you've been through 5 days already! Just think of the motivation you'll have once you see that #.

Last edited by jordanna; 01-24-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 346/315/195

Height: 6'1"

Ladies I need to share my two victories in the last two days!!! Friday I took my son and his buddy to McDonalds and I DIDN'T EAT ANYTHING!!!! I drank my water and enjoyed watching my boy play in the play park. Last night was my husband's birthday party. It was a party for multiple people and there was a huge spread of all of my favorite Indian foods. OMG I had to pass up Butter Chicken and Naan and saffron rice along with lots of other beautiful dishes. Nevermind the expensive red and white wines being shared. I am proud to say that I did not deviate from my plan of no cheating. I decided before we went that I was not going to cheat no matter what and I didn't. I am super proud of myself and confident that if I can get through that night I can do anything!!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #101  

Hooray StAlbertPrincess! So proud of you It's going to show tomorrow at your weigh in for sure!!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #102  

S/C/G: Start: 189/183/176/Goal:135

Ok just got back from my week 4 weigh in......lost 6# down 16lbs total! So excited! What is even more exciting is I have increased my muscle mass as well! I am out of the 160's too! I wish I was told I could eat all of the chicken broth I wanted (I asked about it after reading the posts here!) So I will be making my own soups now! Yea!

Byrdie~Keep up the good work! I would try drinking some salt & water...you may want to call or e-mail your coach/DR. to be safe.

Thanks everyone for the great recipes!!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #103  
IP Start Date 11/18/2009

S/C/G: 191/145/140

Height: 5'9"

Great job StAlbertPrincess! You will have to let us know what your weigh in says...it will really help you stay motivated as you see the inches melting off.

MeghanO - hang in there..you have been my inspiration...forget about yesterday. By the way, when you did the Ultimate Boot Camp - did you keep your total carbs for the day under 15? If so, what did you eat?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #104  

S/C/G: Start: 189/183/176/Goal:135

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAlbertPrincess View Post
Ladies I need to share my two victories in the last two days!!! Friday I took my son and his buddy to McDonalds and I DIDN'T EAT ANYTHING!!!! I drank my water and enjoyed watching my boy play in the play park. Last night was my husband's birthday party. It was a party for multiple people and there was a huge spread of all of my favorite Indian foods. OMG I had to pass up Butter Chicken and Naan and saffron rice along with lots of other beautiful dishes. Nevermind the expensive red and white wines being shared. I am proud to say that I did not deviate from my plan of no cheating. I decided before we went that I was not going to cheat no matter what and I didn't. I am super proud of myself and confident that if I can get through that night I can do anything!!
Good for you! One thing I have to say about this experience is that I feel very much in control of my eating, I have never really been able say that when it comes to food. You should be proud of yourself and use that strength to draw from when you are 'challenged' again~ Keep up the great work!
Old 01-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #105  
Started IP 10/30/09

S/C/G: 173.5/151.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogdog13 View Post
Prinacass, I received my Lindora yeserday. Just finished the chicken noodle soup for breakfast. YUMMY!! Given I'm used to Amy's no-chicken chicken noodle, but I was impressed. Filling too. Only 6 carbs!! I highly recommend it. Btw, they threw in a box of peanut butter chocolate bars, not sure why. Broke down and had one last night (16 carbs...yikes), but it was also pretty yummy. I'm looking forward to trying more of their products...and at those prices, whoohooo.
I just had the chicken noodle, too! It was good. Also tried the Lindora hot cocoa, and while it wasn't as rich and creamy as I.P., it was still good. It also has 5 more carbs, so I've been having to do a little juggling act with my packets. I've been a little under the weather and am just now catching up on all the posts.

I'm about to order the dog fence. Did you get the wireless or the one with wires?
Closed Thread