Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130

Height: 5'5"

FuzzMa, there are plauteaus, it is discussed either in October or November. Sorry I can't be more accurate for you. The cost of the program isn't cheap. The start up fee for my clinic was $275...I dont' know what it will be at your clinic. I can't remember if there is a contract or not, I remember an application to see if you can do the diet, but don't remember a contract. Again, reread through the threads for people who have completed the program, most on here are still in Phase I. The best thing you can do is read all the older posts.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 175/133/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogdog13 View Post
FuzzMa, there are plauteaus, it is discussed either in October or November. Sorry I can't be more accurate for you. The cost of the program isn't cheap. The start up fee for my clinic was $275...I dont' know what it will be at your clinic. I can't remember if there is a contract or not, I remember an application to see if you can do the diet, but don't remember a contract. Again, reread through the threads for people who have completed the program, most on here are still in Phase I. The best thing you can do is read all the older posts.
Thanks for your input!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #63  
Started IP 10/30/09

S/C/G: 173.5/151.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Fuzzma, welcome.

If you are worried about costs or contracts, and you think you can do this alone, try the aimtobehealthy website that Ogdog posted on the last page.

That is what I've used from the beginning. I don't know how significant the savings are compared to going to a coach in a center, but it is cheaper than ordering straight from Matol or I.P. online. It's about $340 or so for 4 weeks of the packets. And after I read all the plan instructions, it was pretty simple. This support group has been the best part of it, because everyone goes through the same things, positive or negative. This is, as I think Joshb said, a medical prescription for weight loss. I haven't seen it fail for one person.

Torchlaker, you were missed!!! Have fun the rest of your vacation.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #64  
Kris M

S/C/G: 254/185/135

Height: 5'6

I was fortunate that my chiropractor/coach did not charge any consult or start up fees or sign me up for a contract. I only have to pay for the costs of the food and am allowed to buy singles of each item rather then full boxes. Which is a good thing because some of the food is not agreeing with me (chili) so will switch it out for something less upsetting for my tummy!

Kris
Old 01-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #65  
Simplymar

Height: 5ft 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzMa View Post
I have been reading all of the threads in this forum and the original one. I have not seen anything mentioned of plateaus. Has this not been a problem? Also, there has been little mention of the cost of this program. Is there a contract? Is there a sign up fee? How much does the food cost? I have done a lot of other diets out there and have paid the price. My biggest problem has been not getting to the maintenance phase due to various reasons. How many people have succeeded and kept the weight off? I am hoping this will be my last diet. Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I have as much info before I go to the clinic. Thanks a bunch.
Hi, I'm in Calgary and the cost every week is 85.00. I buy 6 boxes though of food every 2 weeks instead to give myself more variety. The vitamins are $20 a bottle. So start up fee was $225 with vitamins, 1 week of packets and consultation fee. I find it to be one of the cheaper diets to follow as you are only eating 4 cups of veggies every day and your meat at night. The rest of it is IP products. And it works. I've had a couple of slower weeks but have lost every week. You won't regret joining. This plan works
Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 180/180/154

Awwww...thanks girls. Ihave missed you all, too. I should be home a week from today. Going to make an appt with nurse for the next Tuesday, but I aim to finish what I started. But I think I will change my goal weight....everyone seems to think I am thin enough....I might make it 150 like my doc originally wanted me to do...we will see.

Fuzzma....I did not have to sign a contract. I paid $135 for a physical...most of what my insurance picked up. I did not have blood drawn at that time....but did later in November. My cholestrol was down 30 points from my last check in March. I am allowed to buy singles and exchange them if I do not like them. I have eaten a restricted (or 2) nearly every day (NOT suggested!!!)...but I really never hit a plateau. There was one week I did not lose, but I had a planned "slip" there. Sometimes I was disappointed with the loss, but I did average around 3# a week....and I have NEVER had a diet that did that. One of the gals that talked to me before I started IP had had bariatric surgery a few years prior. She did gain some back, so she went on IP. She said she was losing as fast on IP as she did having the surgery. The cost is rather high. I live alone....so I did not have to cook for anyone else...and was able to keep all junk food out of the house. For cost comparison, I figured I was breaking nearly even....since I was no longer buying junk food (which is basically what I have lived on for the past 2 years).

To an earlier poster....Most of my WF foods tase awful. I DO like their Maple Syrup. The honey mustard is okay for pouring over veggies. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money. I posted my mothers salad dressing and my motherinlaws salad dressing near the beginning of the recipes. I do use those exclusively...(and I do use WF catsup or Heinz sugarfree catsup for my motherinlaws recipe).

Gonna sign off now....everyone is moving around ...will try to get on the computer when I can......

Welcome to all the newbies....and I sure am glad to see all my "old" forum friends still here.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 186.5/150.2/155

Height: 5'8"

Thanks Echobaby and Elishatamar for the info! This should help me a great deal.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #68  
before picture in profile

S/C/G: 213/183/165

Height: 5ft 7 and 3/4th

I'm still here, Torchlaker! And welcome back to all my old forum friends and a BIG WELCOME to all the Newbies. It is great to have some fresh and enthusiastic IP'ers here. We will all help each other to GET THERE in 2010.

This is truly the last diet you will need. The only plateau's that were discussed had to do with "emotional weight."

My emotional weight is definitely 185. My body just wants to "hang" near that wt. I get a "tease" and drop down to 183 and then it pops back up to 184 point something. Ayayay!

But, I made it through the holidays and didn't have my usual gain of 5 or 6 pounds that I've always gained and could never get off in years past.

Besides feeling "guilty" for indulging over the holidays (so glad they're over) I have to announce that I had a BLAST showing off my new clothes at all the events and parties.

For my employee Christmas Party I wore a "one piece" jumper type pull on pants with attached top. It was black and slinky and the top was very fitted and stretchy with a halter tie. So it looked just like a ruched swimsuit with loose pants attached. The back had "cut outs" that were wide twisted bands with lots of skin showing. I wore it with a see through bolero type cover up.

Someday in the near future I will post pictures of me "before, during and after" and a picture of the above outfit will be there as "during."

Just give me a few more weeks to get to my goal wt. and I will then have a complete portfolio of pics to post here.

Continuing on with my "fashion report" I have to tell you about this:

My ex-husband came over to my place for Christmas Eve dinner along with our grown daughter and her family. (My live-in boyfriend and my ex get along great so no problem there.) When we were married (15 years ago) my ex used to always complain about my wt. and was very critical of whatever I was wearing.

Well, that night all he could do was stare as I moved around the house playing hostess. I was wearing black skinny fitted jeans (size 12) an emerald silk flowing see through blouse with black camisole underneath and some very high black velvet heels and lots of silver jewelry.

My daughter was giving me lots of compliments and kept saying "you don't look like a grandma." On the other hand, my ex definitely looks like a grandpa. Ha-ha. Kind of like "sweet revenge" after all those years of his criticisms.

In case you're wondering: my boyfriend met me at my highest wt. 3 years ago and has never been critical. He is very supportive of my IP efforts and is proud of me and treats me well no matter what I'm wearing.

So, I can't wait to lose the next half of my wt. goal and go SHOPPING for my final wardrobe.

Hope springs eternal........Spring: Here come some butterflies in the form of successful IP'ers.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #69  

I have to say that I am glad the holidays are over for two reasons 1) my work routine will resume tomorrow and 2) everyone is back on 3fc posting. I have been a lurker mostly, but love to read what everyone is up to and how they are doing. Yesterday was my 1 month date on IP and I have lost a total of 19lbs. I feel great, some of the pains that had crept back are gone, I have more energy, I sleep better, and overall feel very positive about this whole process.

Have a sterling day on IP!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #70  
Start Date Oct 26/09

S/C/G: 199/148.6/150

Welcome back to all who were away on holidays and a big welcome to those who are new to IP.

Regarding cost - here's what I pay (in Canada). I paid a $75 initial consultation fee that will cover all my weekly weigh ins. The food costs $27/box of 7 packets. You are eating 3 packs/day for 7 days, then the weekly cost is $81. You also need to add the cost of your vitamins (which you should be taking anyway) and any extras you purchase like dressings and such. I have tried some of the WF products and really don't use them anymore. I found that I like the homemade dressings better. Plus, you're not buying the groceries you were before (or booze or treats) so it brings the cost down somewhat. There was no contract or anything - just a two pager with health questions.

I think we would all agree that it's expensive - but so worth it for how good you feel.

Last edited by Mom22; 01-03-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 210/190.5/135 Start: 09/20/09

HI everyone,
I haven't been on since November - was off program on a two week vacation and the holidays. I enjoyed it but am glad to be back on Ideal Protein!

I've updated the results of the Ideal Protein taste survey. This is posted on the first page of the FAQs. For newbies, I strongly recommend that you consider this when deciding what to buy. Especially if, like me, you don't have an option to trade in things you don't like. We've had 33 people complete the survey so there's a good base of data on how things taste. Unfortunately, I can't update the questions - new products like Cookies and Cream bars, and the BBQ Ridges are not included. Likewise, for our Canadian friends, I understand that you have a slew of products available up north that are not yet approved down here in the states, and those products are also not included.

For those that don't have any clinics nearby offering the program... I use www.idealtogo.com. I don't have anything locally, so this has been great. Tom from IdealtoGo kindly waived my consulting fee - not sure if this is the norm, but it's worth asking. Weekly cost is the same as noted by Mom22 -- $81 / week.

One of my husband's and my preferred items is the pre-made shakes. We've been testing and comparing to a couple of other low-carb, high-protein shakes and have decided to switch to these, primarily due to the cost.

Comparison for Pre-Made Chocolate Shakes of 3 brands
Ideal Protein: 8 oz, 100 Cal, 15 g Protein, 4 g Fat, 4 g Carbs
EAS AdvantEdge: 11 oz, 110 cal, 17 g Protein, 3 g fat, 6 g carb
MuscleMilk Light: 8.25 oz, 100 Cal, 15 g Protein, 3 g fat, 5 g carb

Both the EAS AdvantEdge and Muscle Milk Light are available at BJs and Costco (and probably Sam's). Price at BJs for the EAS AdvantEdge is $27.99 for 24 boxes. That's $1.17 per box vs the Ideal Protein price of $4.50 per box -- a savings of $80 for 24 shakes!!! The Ideal Protein is a thicker shake, but I really preferred the flavor of the EAS AdvantEdge - while thinner, it had a richer chocolate flavor, and was missing the aftertaste that I find with the Ideal Protein product. Just a thought for those looking to save a few dollars.

Good luck to everyone starting the new year.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 175/133/125

Thumbs up Thanks!

Just want to thank everyone for their input on cost and plateaus. I don't think the price is that bad. I did LA wt Loss and it cost me a LOT more than that, and needless to say I gained the wt back. So, once again, I am going for the "last diet I'll every have to do". My meeting is on Tuesday and I'm excited!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:29 AM   #73  
Start Date: 11/30/09

S/C/G: 149/137/120

Height: 5'2"

Welcome, FuzzMa! I, too, was not charged a consultation fee, because I was referred by another patient. I was paying $81 a week for the first little bit. However, I had some "donated" packets from friends who didn't like various products. And, since I have been able to stomach all of them (though I like some better than others), this was a godsend for me. To be honest, I don't get in 3 packets a day lately, either. I try to do the best I can, but have stopped obsessing about it.

I ate HORRIBLY over the holidays. Stayed with family who basically just ate crap the whole time. I thought I had willpower, but it is SO hard to make your salad or IP soup in someone else's kitchen, when everyone else is helping themselves to Christmas treats. I finally just gave up. I was completely off program for about 5 days. I anticipated about a 4lb gain, though my clothes were still loose on me. Turns out I gained 1 as of yesterday. And today was down another two pounds.

I do believe some of us are more carb-sensitive than others. I have a friend who will slip out of ketosis with a small piece of bread. But I tend to stay in even under the worst conditions.

I was happy to discover today that I am 18lbs away from my goal, though I may revise that. Like torchlaker, I am thinking that my current goal weight might be too little for me. I am going to re-evaluate after another 8lbs.

I am fortunate to have friends in the area who introduced me to the program, so I have a real life support group, also.

But it's nice to come here for advice and encouragement.

Good luck to all in 2010!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #74  
Kris M

S/C/G: 254/185/135

Height: 5'6

Good morning! I know I've said this before, but I am so happy to have found this site! So much encouragement and inspiration!
Day two was okay except for the day long headache. I tried everything - extra water, extra salt. Nothing helped. Finally took a tylenol and called it a day! Woke up today and it was gone! Lets hope it stays that way! Has anyone else had the headache happen to them? What do you do to make it stop?

Last edited by Mystical Mamma; 01-04-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 186.5/150.2/155

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical Mamma View Post
Good morning! I know I've said this before, but I am so happy to have found this site! So much encouragement and inspiration!
Day two was okay except for the day long headache. I tried everything - extra water, extra salt. Nothing helped. Finally took a tylenol and called it a day! Woke up today and it was gone! Lets hope it stays that way! Has anyone else had the headache happen to them? What do you do to make it stop?
I also had really bad headaches on day 2 and 3 and tried the different things that were suppose to help. Lemon juice in my water, hot bath with sea salt (but I think epsom salt would probably work also) and finally pain killers. Different people react in different ways, but most people that have reported at this site, find that the symptoms are gone after the first few days. For me, I had a headache for the first 2-3 weeks but it was not as bad as it was on day 2 and 3. But who knows if it was just from the diet or if other factors were involved.

Last edited by ottawa; 01-04-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Closed Thread