Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #631  

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130

Height: 5'5"

Echobaby, at the top of the Message box is a little paperclip (aside of the smiley face). Click on that and walla, you can upload docs. Or, is it too big possibly?

Last edited by Ogdog13; 01-20-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #632  
Started IP 10/30/09

S/C/G: 173.5/151.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Ok, I dunno. I scanned it from her physical paper list into our copier and emailed it to myself. I can't figure out how to attach it, and if call the I.T. guy in here, he'll be in here explaining stuff to me for 2 hours. All I hear is blahblah 67 gigabytes blah,blah corrupt file jpg. blah port distillation.. Are they all like that? Yikes. Ogdog, could I email it to you and see if you can post it?
Old 01-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #633  

So I started this last Saturday with my daughter, she ended up in tears by Monday and quit. She said she never realized how much she took oranges and apples for granted. I have to admit, this has been very hard for myself as well, I am wondering why everyone else is doing so good? I know I have lost weight (closet scale jumper) but my kidneys are killing me and I have no energy. I am thinking I am doing something wrong, but determined to do my best with this, especially since making such a large financial obligation. I am thinking I need to get the bars and shakes and try that for awhile, as I am just not that great at trying to change things up and have to cook. I am traveling alot right now and my hotel room had no refrigerator or microwave, I was stumped, hmmmm. Will see this through as long as possible!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #634  
Started IP 10/30/09

S/C/G: 173.5/151.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry face View Post
So I started this last Saturday with my daughter, she ended up in tears by Monday and quit. She said she never realized how much she took oranges and apples for granted. I have to admit, this has been very hard for myself as well, I am wondering why everyone else is doing so good? I know I have lost weight (closet scale jumper) but my kidneys are killing me and I have no energy. I am thinking I am doing something wrong, but determined to do my best with this, especially since making such a large financial obligation. I am thinking I need to get the bars and shakes and try that for awhile, as I am just not that great at trying to change things up and have to cook. I am traveling alot right now and my hotel room had no refrigerator or microwave, I was stumped, hmmmm. Will see this through as long as possible!
It goes against everything we've heard all our lives, but when they say you need to use copious amounts of sea salt, they mean that it's for a MEDICAL reason. The diet is so low in potassium(which is necessary for proper kidney, heart, and blood pressure function...probably every organ) that it has to be supplemented. You will not retain water, or swell up. Just eat/use/lick off your hand a LOT of sea salt, and I bet the initial fatigue, and especially kidney pain will go away. Hang in there. Maybe you'll be an inspiration for your daughter to try again when she'd ready.. And it's not forever. Best of luck!!

Also, if you're kitchen-limited, by all means use the bars and shakes until you can get home. Whatever works.

Last edited by echobaby; 01-20-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #635  
Started IP 1/19/10

S/C/G: 257.8/203.8/170

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
Hey Byrdie,

I'm on day three today and I'm feeling awesome, much better than the past two days. I had a headache yesterday but today am feeling super!

I just thought I'd say hi since we're starting around the same time

Jordanna
Jordanna
That makes me feel better!! Just towards the end of the day I get really tired and moody! and I definitely have a headahce! Keep me up on how your doing! I love it that we are starting around the same time so I can have someone to talk too!
Good luck!! Thanks
Byrdie!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #636  
Start Date: 11/30/2009

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry face View Post
I remember my kidneys killing me the first week or so, but I also went from drinking about three glasses of water a week to three quarts in a day, so that's what I attributed it to. You might want to add more sea salt than you are right now, and take an extra potassium pill for a few days to make sure your electrolyte balance isn't too out of whack.
I place my success on this diet on the amount of research I did beforehand. My mom knew someone on it, and since I'm in pharmacy school and studying health, she wanted me to look into it for her and make sure it would be safe and effective. I studied this diet inside and out to see if it was, and I was very impressed that the biochemistry of it was presented fairly accurately, not as a bunch of hand-waving. So I knew exactly what I was getting into. I knew what I was going to have to give up, and what alterations I was going to have to make in my lifestyle to accommodate these changes. It helps me to think that everything I enjoy that I can't eat right now will still be around once I finish the diet. Apples and oranges will still be there, and I'll be able to happily munch away wearing size 8 pants again.
I'm also an incredibly stubborn person, so every time I think I'm at my wits end, I mentally kick myself and say, "You've graduated with a degree in physics, worked in a quantum optics research lab, started pharmacy school, and you're complaining about not being able to have a cookie? Mind over matter, you big baby!"
If your daughter is serious about losing weight and succeeding on this diet, maybe she should start by taking "baby steps." I don't remember who it was, but someone on this forum started by voluntarily getting rid of things she knew she wouldn't be able to eat on this diet a while before she started it so it wouldn't be such a shock once she dove in.
If you're traveling, can you take a little cooler with you? You can buy all sorts of pre-cut veggies at grocery stores, they even have "steamer bags" that you can just throw straight into the microwave and cook there (not that I really like cooking things in the microwave, but it is better than nothing).
Old 01-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #637  
Started IP 1/19/10

S/C/G: 257.8/203.8/170

Height: 5'7

Sorry I have SO many questions... but do you have to eat the snack after dinner or can you eat it before?
Old 01-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #638  

S/C/G: 212/192/130

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sweetie View Post
Thanks Callmecurvy...love the name, by the way! I'll check this out and hopefully get a response. I'm crossing my fingers!
Hi! I'm from Texas, too...north of Houston. Where are you from (if you don't mind sharing, that is)

Debbie
Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #639  

S/C/G: 212/192/130

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Showgirlaz: if you look above the sticky for the Dec/Jan chat there are some stickies for IP Phases, IP FAQ and IP recipes. We have been putting the recipes there so that we do not have to hunt through all the posts looking for the one we happen to want.

In regards to exercise, the following is MHO on the subject:
we all know that 80% of weight loss is diet. Since we are on such a low carb, low calorie, low fat diet, if we stick to the program we are going to lose weight regardless of if we exercise or not. I do think that doing some cardio - not steady state cardio but interval training can help, but it should be limited in duration and times per week as it can also hinder. Resistance training does not burn many calories (and do we really need to burn any of the 800-900 caloires a day that we are eating?)but it helps with toning etc and making sure that after we finish the program, we have good strong muscles that help burn more calories even at rest.
I am sure that most of us have gone through phases where we go nuts with cardio exercise- aerobics, spinning etc. and ended up not losing very much weight after the inital period, which for me has convinced me that cardio type exercising is good for cardio/vascular health etc. but a combination of cardio (no more than 30-40 minutes a session, 2 times a week) and resistance training is the way to go. As I have said before, I wish I had concentrated more on the resistance workouts while on the IP program so that I would be more toned than I am now.

Yes I am smaller than I have been at the weight I am now, I am fitting into clothes that I wore when I weighed less, but there are places that really need to be much more toned than they presently are such as my thighs, arms etc.

Well I am now in IP maintenance mode and this is week 2 of quitting smoking. I had quit for 1.5 years and then started again in Sept. so I know I can quit but I wonder how it will go now that I still have to watch what I eat? Time will tell.
The weather here is gettin a little better, so I thought I would start walking a few times a week. I know you are right about the resistance workouts, even with just a loss of 21lbs, I'm seeing some loose skin on my arms and legs.
I can't believe you are quitting smoking and staying on maintenence! That seems so hard! But with all you have already accomplished, you can do it!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #640  

S/C/G: 191.5/170/140

Height: 5 ft 5 in

I picked up my starter pack today but can't begin the program until Thursday - scheduled for a colonostomy so gotta live off of water tomorrow. Weighed 191.5 (heaviest I've ever been). The coach said I could have raw peppers, that the folks have decided there isn't enough of a carb difference to matter. She also said I could have gum if I rinsed it off first. Said it's coated in something full of carbs. So...here goes.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #641  

Thank you Echobaby, I will definately try more salt, I can honestly say I probably haven't had enough salt (wish it too came in a pill).

Elishatamar I know Liliyta gave up her evening cocktails and some foods prior to starting this program. My daughter and I went in cold turkey. Interested in where you are going to pharmacy school, my daughter is a sophomore in college majoring in biochemistry and so I know she knows how much this makes sense and how she had to do it 100%, she just had an unsupportive boyfriend and apparently wasn't ready. I on the other hand, almost quit myself, but I really would love to get under 200 pounds! Thanks for the advice, and I have to say this forum really does help.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #642  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie09 View Post
Sorry I have SO many questions... but do you have to eat the snack after dinner or can you eat it before?
Byrdie,

My coach said we can have our snack whenever we need it, but that it helps for our bodies to have protein in the evening for our body to process overnight. I sometimes have a big bowl of romaine lettuce & cucumber with WF Balsamic dressing on it to get me through to dinner time

I think every coach has different rules though...
Old 01-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #643  
Started IP 1/8/10

S/C/G: 192.5/166/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSweet View Post
callmecurvy, I've been eating 2 cups of raw green bell peppers. I never noticed the cooked part. Interesting.

Anyone out there can answer this?

The Alternative Phase 1 allows for raw green peppers and the Regular Phase 1 calls for "cooked only" on the Permitted Veg. List and all colors of peppers "cooked only" on the Occasional Veg's List.

I personally do use a small amout of raw peppers(all colors) in salads from time to time...but not everyday!

My consultant said that there is natural sugar in the green bell peppers (and other peppers) that breaks down when cooked, so they're okay to eat that way. It's the same reason (in reverse) why onions need to be eaten raw instead of cooked; they're more sugar-laden in their cooked form.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #644  
Started IP 1/8/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie09 View Post
A lot of people have different perspectives on this issue. Like Jordanna, my consultant said to have it in the evening so that our bodies would have protein to "eat" during the night so that it wouldn't steal from the protein in our bodies. I can usually make it from lunch to dinner, but when I can't I eat a salad in the meantime. My boyfriend is NOT a salad person. His lunch is at 11, and we don't eat dinner until about 6, so worked it out with our consultant to eat a half a bag of the soy puffs as an afternoon snack (even though they're restricted now, she said they used to not be, but people would eat them too many times in one day). He still has a full protein item in the evening. Hope this helps!!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #645  
Started IP 1/8/10

Yet another post...

So, I had my second weigh in this afternoon... down another 4 pounds! That makes 8 pounds lost total so far! I've also lost a couple of inches in my chest and waist. Unfortunately, my hips and thighs haven't budged too much, and that's where I would really like to see (and feel) it. My boyfriend lost 6 this week, so he's up to 11 pounds lost... I know guys lose faster, so I'm not letting it get me down, even though I am a little jealous! I actually look forward to Wednesdays now. I can't wait to see what kind of progress I've made next week!!
Closed Thread