Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 160.4/143/125

Height: 5'2"

Interesting...I joined in Jan 2011 and didn't get the 2011 revision. My clinic really doesn't do much for me.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited by bonjovione; 03-15-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: wanted to quote original message
Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #77  

Location: Mountains of East PA but originally from New Orleans

S/C/G: 240/206/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default Thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogdog13 View Post
Breakfast
1 IP packet
plus one group choice ( will list groups below)
plus coffee/tea with 1 oz skim milk
sweetener allowed

lunch
1 IP packet
plus 1 group choice
plus
2 cups select veggies and unlimited lettuce

dinner

7 oz fish or 5 oz meat from select choice
plus 1 group choice
plus 2 cups select veggies

snack

1 IP packet

Compulsory

64 oz water

1-2 teaspoon olive or grape seed oil

regular IP supplements

IMPORTANT: only one choice from each GROUP is permitted per day. ALL THREE GROUPS MUST be consumed per day.

GROUP 1

2 slices toast ( whole grain, pumpernickel, rye, multigrain,sourdough, stone ground whole wheat, oat bran, sprouted grain)
150 grams whole wheat pasta
150 grams brown rice ( not instant)
1 sweet potato, or small boiled potato
60 grams oatmeal ( non instant)
150 gram - 200 grams couscous
50 grams unsweetened cereal (bran, oat, whole grain or barley)
150 grams cooked legumes (chick peas, lentils, green peas, kidney beans)
150 gram corn

Group 2

fresh fruit ( example: 1 grapefruit, 1 apple, 2 kiwis, 150 g pineapple, 1 banana,200 g strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries.
fruit is allowed, but optional, and must not be replaced with another food group.

group 3

1 sugar free yogurt
1 - 60 oz glass milk (2% M.F or less)
30 gram cheese (about 20% M.F)
120 g cottage cheese
60 g feta cheese

Meat, veggie, seasoning choices are the same as regular phase 1.
It is good to know that there is an alternative if I begin to have trouble... I've liver enzyme hikes in my past and am told by my doc to not ignore problems or pain. He is a little concerned about the ketosis but very much likes the loss I'm seeing. This is good to have if there is a problem reather than throw in the towel. Thanks so much.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 217/165/160

Height: 5ft 4-1/2 inches

I am currently in phase 3 and having difficulty with what is an appropriate portion for yogurt, or cheese. I am celiac and don't know what to eat for breakfast that is low carb and not a wheat based product. I find high carb rice products make me crave wheat and I am trying to avoid that. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or help on portions?

thanks!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by busy2kids View Post
I am currently in phase 3 and having difficulty with what is an appropriate portion for yogurt, or cheese. I am celiac and don't know what to eat for breakfast that is low carb and not a wheat based product. I find high carb rice products make me crave wheat and I am trying to avoid that. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or help on portions?

thanks!
Hi There,
I'm gluten free as well and have really been enjoying Bobs GF hot cereal. Use 1/4 cup dry. Cook according to directions and add cinnamon, pinch of salt, few drops of liquid stevia, or WF maple syrup. You can also use unsweetened almond milk, 35-40 cals. 1 carb, 2.5 gr. fat per 8oz and use partial amount of that instead of water to thicken the gruel up. There's Silk brand and another I forget, but they're great to add to cereal.
For the yogurt, I take a 1/4 cup and mix it with my berries or fruit of choice. If I'm using a slice of cheese with my egg, I don't have the yogurt with my fruit. Here is a link for delicious low carb GF pancakes! http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.c...cakes-low.html
it's a cool blog with lots of GF ideas.
Also, there are some great low everything chicken and turkey bacon. Have 2 strips and make them in the wave. Murrays chicken bacon and trader joes makes amazing turkey bacon. one of them are GF for sure.
Enjoy and let me know how you're doing and what else you find to eat
Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #80  

I'm a newbie to the site, I read all info regarding this diet since I'm thinking of doing this diet but I'm worried that I would be hungry on it. I wake up at 4 o'clock in the morning to go to work and I don't think the diet will provide me with enough food for my long days, any suggestions. Also can you do cardio and strenght training while on this diet, if so in which phase? Thanks

Last edited by dubois007; 04-27-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #81  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLaV View Post
Does anyone have a problem sleeping after having Protein snack at night?
This will be unique to each person. Some people (some body types) do not do well eating late and then sleeping. For those people having their snack in the afternoon and finishing the day with just dinner is ok. Just make sure you are not having craving, fuzzy brain, "hangover" feelings in the morning. That can indicate you are having overnight blood sugar lows. In those cases you may wish to set an alarm, wake up early, and drink a pre made shake or eat a pre made pudding. It will help keep your metabolism going and blood sugar steady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
This seems to be getting lost in daily threads. It is attached to this post for future reference.

Changes I noticed "at a glance"
- higher limit on beef, poultry, pork, veal protein
- bell peppers on select list with no restrictions about cooked/raw, color

One inconsistency that puzzles me:
- rutabaga is a select veggie -- could have 4 cups a day, 7 days a week
- swede is an occasional veggie -- limited to 2 cups/week
Aren't swede and rutabaga the same thing? (wikipedia link)

Oh IP, do you intentionally do this to confuse your clients and make them dependent on you? <sigh>
I agree Svelting! Both are the same vegetable, also known as yellow turnip btw!

I, WOULD NOT, use rutabaga as a select veg. It is very high in carb and sugars with NO fiber to balance off. 1/2 cup is 10g of carb. It is definitely and occasional and even then shouldn't be used in large quantities, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calival View Post
Just curious--you say "I now tend to shorten this phase"---does this mean that once you go off the diet you gain the weight back and ARE DOING IT OVER AGAIN?
This is in reference to your quote of OgDog's post. OGDOG has not been on the forum in over a year. Back when she posted that she was doing the program for a second round. She had gone through the phases and learned it was better for her to use phase 1 to the fullest and then to shorten phase 2 to just what is necessary for her body to adapt back to using more real food as a means of preparing for adding in the phase 3 breakfast.

It is now the common way for many coaches to guide their clients through the phases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maykatcooper View Post
It is good to know that there is an alternative if I begin to have trouble... I've liver enzyme hikes in my past and am told by my doc to not ignore problems or pain. He is a little concerned about the ketosis but very much likes the loss I'm seeing. This is good to have if there is a problem reather than throw in the towel. Thanks so much.
Yes, there is an alternative. Please keep in mind, in the alternative protocol you are not trying to be in ketosis. Most people will not be. WHY? It is designed for diabetics who are unable to self regulate sugar production. Meaning, a healthy person has a mechanism (gluconeogenesis) to create new sugars without adding carbs. (those sugars come from protein, aminos, and enzymes in a complex process) If a diabetic is unable to regulate ketone production they are at risk of a serious condition, ketosacidosis. Ketase is a fine sugar but, the by product is a toxic packet - ketone which has to be eliminated. Unregulated, too much can develop and make people sick. In healthy individuals this won't happen. In diabetics and some other illness, it is a problem. In those cases, the alternative diet allows for a slower low carb weight loss with higher calories and keeps you out of ketosis.

If you choose to use that diet, remember your results are likely to be different or slower than others. You may also feel more hunger or have more cravings at times because lipolysis (a part of the ketogenic process), is not controlling craving and appetite in the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubois007 View Post
I'm a newbie to the site, I read all info regarding this diet since I'm thinking of doing this diet but I'm worried that I would be hungry on it. I wake up at 4 o'clock in the morning to go to work and I don't think the diet will provide me with enough food for my long days, any suggestions. Also can you do cardio and strenght training while on this diet, if so in which phase? Thanks
If you wake up early you adapt the diet to work for your day. Do you also go to sleep earlier. Most people who do the diet are on a 15 hour day. Are you?

If you are very active you can add another packet or 2 or some added real protein to keep going. With proper coaching and adjustment anyone of unique scheduling issues can do this diet.

The exercise is not recommended until after week three and then, moderately. Walking is the best choice, light weights, or easy, stretching styles of yoga. Nothing extreme that will raise heart rate as it will require more carbs for recovery and energy. In those cases, you can end up burning muscle to survive and it will have negative impacts.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #82  

im on phase 1....can u tell me if i can have the beverage called "Sparkling Ice"? its carb calorie and sugar free but has a little carbonated mountain spring water in the ingredients and also sucralose....any help would be appreciated bc i really want to drink it!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #83  

Thanks Showgirlaz, for the info. I don't really sleep 8 hours as recommended asa I have a newborn (done with breastfeeding) and it's kind of hard. I started the program today so far so good and I've added the extra protein after my workout. Thanks for reminding me not to push hard because I mignt lose muscle, good info
Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #84  

Hi to everybody.... I'm italian, back from Canada yesterday... I found a shop selling this IP product and I've bought for 1 week....if I like them I'll find a way to ask someone to buy them for me ans send me over....// I've ready that there are in France ( I live near france border ) but I've never seem them here... / anyway...I've a question...I've ready in some post that in phase 1 a person could choose something from a list
"IMPORTANT: only one choice from each GROUP is permitted per day. ALL THREE GROUPS MUST be consumed per day.

GROUP 1

2 slices toast ( whole grain, pumpernickel, rye, multigrain,sourdough, stone ground whole wheat, oat bran, sprouted grain)
150 grams whole wheat pasta
150 grams brown rice ( not instant)
1 sweet potato, or small boiled potato
60 grams oatmeal ( non instant)
150 gram - 200 grams couscous
50 grams unsweetened cereal (bran, oat, whole grain or barley)
150 grams cooked legumes (chick peas, lentils, green peas, kidney beans)
150 gram corn

Group 2

fresh fruit ( example: 1 grapefruit, 1 apple, 2 kiwis, 150 g pineapple, 1 banana,200 g strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries.
fruit is allowed, but optional, and must not be replaced with another food group.

group 3

1 sugar free yogurt
1 - 60 oz glass milk (2% M.F or less)
30 gram cheese (about 20% M.F)
120 g cottage cheese
60 g feta cheese

"
is this also valid in phase 1 ? Any suggestions ? I'll begin next thursday...I've already done something similar, an italian diet called "tisanoreica" and it looks the same.... Help ! :-) thank you Daniela
Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #85  

Height: 5' 2"

Hi Daniela: What you posted looks like Phase 3. This would not be the phase to start with for Ideal Protein. Start with Phase 1. The food packages are expensive - so you need to research Phase 1 - where you would eat 3 packages of the IP food - adding 2 cups of (select) veggies to lunch - and dinner being 5 oz lean meat and 2 cups (select) veggies. Lettuce is unlimited. The choices that IP has for food is amazing. There is a lot of variety and you will love the diet - but really do need some coaching and instructions to start. Good Luck.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 141/124/120?

Height: 5'7"

Default Phase 3 - do I count fiber as carbs?

Hi, I'm moving into Phase 3 and have a question about counting carbs. Do I count fiber carbs? How about sugar alcohol carbs?

I am thinking of the following as a breakfast option:
1 serving old-fashioned oatmeal
1 C unsweetened almond milk
1 C blueberries
1 Peanut Butter Atkins Bar

This puts me very close to the recommended carb, fat, and protein recommendations for Phase 3 breakfast. I am a few g over on the fat, but well within the carb g if I don't count fiber.

The Atkins bar has 22g of carbs of which 10g are sugar alcohols and glycerin, and 10g are fiber. The other carbs items have some fiber g, too.
FYI, I cheated for nearly the entire time I was in Phase I by replacing the IP bars with Atkins bars and it did not seem to hinder my weight loss.

Should I count the fiber g and sugar alcohols when trying to stick with the carb limits for Phase 3?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #87  

I started the program a month ago and after 2 weeks I hit a plateau. Is it normal? What should I do?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #88  

I did the ideal protein diet for 5 weeks thru the phases and lost 10 lbs...my question has anyone else experienced bowel changes...I tend to go more frequently and much looser than before doing this diet..very personal but I am concerned...maybe it is my bodies way of getting rid of excess food now that I am off this diet, was told it changed the way your body metabolizes food...
Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #89  

I am waiting for a reply to my question about stool changes after the ideal protein diet.....
Old 06-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #90  

Smile

I am waiting for a reply to my question about stool changes after the ideal protein diet.....I was wondering if others had changes like I did and thought perhaps the looser and more frequent movements were because of the changes my body made after doing the ideal protein diet....thankyou, vernabelle
Closed Thread