Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #346  
Skinny girl in training

S/C/G: H 336 Start IP 292/236/170

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebecaLovesVW View Post
Hello, I'm considering doing IP but I'm a very picky eater and always have been. I only eat onions off the approved veggie list and would rather starve than eat any of the others.(I have a lot of food issues).

I will eat salad but, I just this year learned to eat salad and have a hard time eating a lot of it.

Do you have to eat the veggies?

Is this a deal breaker?

I was doing the lean cuisine/1200 cal a day/exercise thing before but have had minimal weight loss.
I was in the same boat....all the veggies I liked were not approved. However I figured my health was more important then what I like or don't like to eat. So I started out slowly plugging in various vegetables. I never ate zucchini before I started this plan except for in zucchini bread. Now it's a huge staple of my diet. I still haven't overcome some of the vegetables I'd like to but I'm slowly learning that I can eat them and in some cases starting to love them. If you like potatoes.... try using turnips, cauliflower, or zucchini in exchange. My favorite way is to slice up zucchini toss with olive oil and salt and back on a cookie sheet for 18 min 450 degrees until they start to turn brown. I've found they are best if eaten straight off the cookie sheet. There are several recipes for making mashed potatoes from cauliflower or turnips...and french fries from turnips.

I'm not a huge salad person either, so I just have a salad for lunch, and it's not always exciting. But that saying that "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" keeps me plodding along. For dinner I take chicken or ground turkey and and make a stirfry with olive oil and soy sauce. I throw in bean sprouts, zucchini, cucumber, celery, bok choy (which I'd never even heard of before IP), and green peppers. Top it off with whatever salt is leftover for the day and it's phenomenal! The veggies don't even taste like veggies!

Bottom line... the more you eat a particular food the more you will start to like it. Even with infants they say you have to feed them a food 20 times before they like it. I strongly believe your taste buds will change if you challenge them to. You just have to decide what you are willing to do to get there. You can't alter or cheat on the IP plan, so I'd take a month to incorporate veggies into your food options. Once you start to like them then start IP, but don't start it until your ready to follow the plan 100%.

Hope you join us!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #347  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'3"

Default Anyone feel dizzed out sometimes?

Today I feel like I got run over by a truck and had taken drugs the night before.
Anyone ever feel like this? I'm just starting wk 4 and feel woozy, cloudybrained.
Any opinions or experiences to share? I ate well yesterday, totally on protocol. No cheats. This has already happened more than once on this program. Any thoughts or experiences?
Thanks Ladies and Gents
Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #348  
Skinny girl in training

S/C/G: H 336 Start IP 292/236/170

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymae View Post
Today I feel like I got run over by a truck and had taken drugs the night before.
Anyone ever feel like this? I'm just starting wk 4 and feel woozy, cloudybrained.
Any opinions or experiences to share? I ate well yesterday, totally on protocol. No cheats. This has already happened more than once on this program. Any thoughts or experiences?
Thanks Ladies and Gents
Everyone seems to hit a spot around week 4 or 5, I would change up what you are eating and maybe add a packet for a few days. Also make sure you are getting all of your water in, you may even want to increase it for a few days as well.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #349  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jency View Post
Everyone seems to hit a spot around week 4 or 5, I would change up what you are eating and maybe add a packet for a few days. Also make sure you are getting all of your water in, you may even want to increase it for a few days as well.
Thanks so much for your feedback. I did have the feeling to up my water today AND I added my first cup of veggies to my omelette this morning thinking maybe that would balance me out a bit.
Great advice...thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #350  

S/C/G: 183/165.6/150

Height: 5'7

Hi, I was wondering if the 5oz meat and 7oz fish is weighed raw or cooked? I have been weighing it after it has been cooked. What about the vegys I usually measure them out raw and then cook them.
I was wondering if that makes a difference in my weight loss. Are you suppose to be eating the vegys raw or it dosent matter?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #351  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle02 View Post
Hi, I was wondering if the 5oz meat and 7oz fish is weighed raw or cooked? I have been weighing it after it has been cooked. What about the vegys I usually measure them out raw and then cook them.
I was wondering if that makes a difference in my weight loss. Are you suppose to be eating the vegys raw or it dosent matter?

There has been some debate on the forums about this in the last week, but the general consensus seems to be that the ounces of meat is measured AFTER cooking and the ounces/cups of veggies is measured BEFORE cooking. With most veggies, it doesn't matter if they are cooked or raw as long as you are cooking in a manner consistent with the IP guidelines. However, onions are supposed to be eaten raw (with the exception of green onions - it doesn't matter), because cooking onions breaks down the sugars in them and makes them sweeter. I also heard that green peppers were to be eaten cooked not raw, but am not exactly sure why that matters. As always, when in doubt, ask your coach!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #352  

S/C/G: 144/135/124

Question Newbie Questions

1) can you eat olives
2) can you eat banana peppers
3) how long after you started IP did you start exercising.

I started on Friday and have lost 4pounds!!!!!
thanks k
Old 11-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #353  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkirkdc View Post
1) can you eat olives

thanks k

1) no
2) no idea - maybe someone will chime in or ask your coach
3) exercising is generally not advised because of our low calorie intake, but things where you are not getting your heart rate up very high (such as walking, swimming, low impact stuff) is okay-ish. Again, talk to your coach and read the exercise thread.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #354  

S/C/G: 295/255/210

Height: 6'4''

Is it possible to drink too much water throughout the day?
Old 11-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #355  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebecaLovesVW View Post
I mean in terms of veg that I will eat its the usual no-no suspects:
Potatoes, corn, avocados, onions, romaine lettuce, jalapenos,tomatillos......

I'll eat frozen peas, but I swallow them whole like medicine...

Right now I'm doing:
Breakfast: A protein bar- usually a luna bar or special K bar (180 cal)(Diet Pepsi)
snack: 100 cal pack of popcorn or peanutbutter (off the spoon)
Lunch: Lean Cuisine Meal (280-330 cal) - Crystal Light
snack: Special K cereal bar (90 cal)
Dinner: Lean Cuisine (280-330 cal)
If going to the gym I usually have spoonfull of peanut butter and caramel corn cake when i get back.

-Thanks for getting back so quick!
Hey Rebecca!

Thanks for looking into Ideal Protein. It really is a great program but, for some people, it is a big adjustment.

Looking at your normal day, you are eating far too many carbs and too much sodium to be seeing significant weight loss. You are on a low calorie diet but, as long as the carbs are high and the fiber low and the fat low, it is very challenging for your body to activate its internal resources for fat burning. You are simply playing the calories in minus calories burned equals weight lost game. Overtime you will just slow the metabolism down and you don't correct the reason you gain weight in the first place.

Yes, the veggies are a required part of the program. It is a challenge and maybe the best way to approach it is understanding how this program helps you. It is not simply a diet plan. It is not simply a way to drop the pounds and return to how you have eat always or most recently. This plan gives your body a break and time to rest and reset the way the pancreas functions WHILE alllowing your body to heal based on the nutrition in the foods we do eat. It is designed to do this and and a result you see the weight drop. You will notice many little to big changes as your follow the program. Some people see improvements in blood pressure, cholesterol, sleep apnea, diabetes, acid reflux, joint problems, chronic inflammation and more. The weight loss is an indication that your body is healing something that isn't working right as much as it is and indication that you are storing less fat.

HOW? Instead of using a magic pill or medicine, we are using food. Food got us into this place in many cases and using food correctly helps to change the process. You will learn about how your body didn't respond to carbs and how much better you feel eating less of them and more protein. Your body will using the increased nutrition, protein, amino acids, and, yes, vegetables, to alter the way you appear and feel. The vegetables, in some ways, are part of the group of prescriptions we take to create the improved health and the weight loss. It isn't easy if you aren't use to eating vegetables. It is worth trying to see if you can find other vegetables to enjoy so you may allow your body to improve itself.

For me, looking at this plan as a medical protocol helped me to stay focus and determined. If a doctor said "take this and you will lose weight and cure these 5 problems too" I would listen up and seriously evaluate it no matter how hard it might seem. In this case, a doctor designed a program and said EAT but eat only these foods until you have achieved the healthy results and appearance you desire and need. I am still going to give him and his protocol the serious consideration it needs.

In recent years, science and the medical community are looking at obesity as a disease or symptom of other health issues. They are starting to recognize that some people are overweight or obese because it is a type of inflammation that is food related/digestive oriented. This diet dramatically reduces foods that add to that state of inflammation.

You do need to be aware as you decide if this is for you, although you will one day eat many of the foods you eat now, you will never eat all of them as often or in the portions that you do now. This diet will end but the end phase is a changed outlook about what foods you should regularly include in your diet and when. For it to have the long term benefits you should be committed to changing how you see food and, in part, learning to love all veggies and greens is a big step in that plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymae View Post
Thanks Ladies and Gents
THis is very normal around week 4 to 6. The body is making a big adjustment to being in ketosis at this point. Add more water, eat another packet for a day or two while you adjust. It will correct itself soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle02 View Post
According to paper work provided in the original startup packets, these measurements are both PRE COOKED. I know that is varied by coaches. You will not be hurt very much by adding the extra meat, it is a protein and will keep you in ketosis. Also, the extra meat has some water weight that will cook out. The problem you may run into will be as you get closer to your goal when the calories you take in will matter more.

NO matter if you are in ketosis or not, your body only needs so many calories a day. If you are not exercising to create a greater spread between what you feed it and what you need, it is possible you can be in ketosis, not taping into enough or your fat, and losing slowly because your body doesn't need to borrow much from its fat reserves to keep you going.

If you only need 1500 calories a day and are eating 1100 even if it is all protein your body will only borrow the missing 400 calories worth of energy from your fat stores. SO, over eating meats and fats at that stage of the game could slow you down a little. If you like the extra portion of protein and slow down, try to do some light exercise, slow/steady pace walking would be fine, to keep your calories managed and keep your body burning its own fat for energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkirkdc View Post
1) can you eat olives

thanks k
1) no to olives unless your coach approved. Most will because they see a small portion of olives as equal to olive oil. The only thing is to manage your portions of olives to keep your calories, sodium, and fat levels in check

2) yes, banana peppers are ok. Again, watch how many you use. Peppers are an occasional vegetable unless they are green peppers. Also, make sure they are not sugar cured/brined.

3) Exercise is a very personal thing. Some coaches say keep going if you were active before. Others say never. Still others say light exercise after 2 or 3 weeks. In general waiting the 2 weeks is best. Then slowly add it back and increase intensity to make sure you know how it is effecting you "baseline"/starting efforts. It will make it more manageable. Some people can do high intensity cardio or things like zumba 2 or 3 times a week and lose well and others have a hard time just taking a brisk walk. It is really an individual thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingGuy View Post

Yes! The key is to drink consistently and slowly through the day. If you drink too much at once your body doesn't get enough time to utiliize the water before it flushes from the system. Also, very few people need more than a gallon a day. Those that do are very overweight or very active or, in environments that cause them to lose water easily (think a cook working over a very hot grill for 10 hours or a blacksmith or any other job that is hot or induces a lot of sweating).

Look up water intoxication if you want to know more or want to know about how much is too much at one time.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #356  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

"has anyone had problems with losing the weight while on IP if they have had extreme stress on a particular given week?"

Yes, I have! The 2nd week I was on IP, my father had a mild stroke and sent me and my family into complete stress and worry. I lost only 1 pound that week (even though I forced myself to eat and stay on the plan). My "coach" is a naturopathic Doctor and she said, "yes, stress can affect your weight loss." After that, I chose to change my response to the situation because I couldn't change the situation. My father is doing better, so I am staying hopeful and positive about his full recovery and taking care of myself which means remaining positive and using whatever gives you strength (prayers, friends, husband, family) to help you through stressful events. It worked: the following week, I lost 5 pounds.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #357  

S/C/G: 295/255/210

Height: 6'4''

I think stress plays a maor role in our weight loss. I notice that weight loss is less on stressful weeks. For me stress also translate into having more temptations and having a harder time in resisting them. Hang in there and as long as the trend is downward, then everything is all good right?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #358  

S/C/G: 144/135/124

Smile Thanks

Thank you all so much for your input!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #359  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTraveleronIP View Post
"has anyone had problems with losing the weight while on IP if they have had extreme stress on a particular given week?"

Yes, I have! The 2nd week I was on IP, my father had a mild stroke and sent me and my family into complete stress and worry. I lost only 1 pound that week (even though I forced myself to eat and stay on the plan). My "coach" is a naturopathic Doctor and she said, "yes, stress can affect your weight loss." After that, I chose to change my response to the situation because I couldn't change the situation. My father is doing better, so I am staying hopeful and positive about his full recovery and taking care of myself which means remaining positive and using whatever gives you strength (prayers, friends, husband, family) to help you through stressful events. It worked: the following week, I lost 5 pounds.
Same here. I was under extreme family stress the 3rd week and had a no loss WI. My coach explained that flight or fright reaction the body has when it perceives the stress as a survival threat and goes into energy conservation mode. And you are so right about changing ones reaction to the stress, because as most family situation are ongoing, the only thing we can do is shift our thoughts and continue taking care of ourselves while we care for others. I nursed my father for 5 years until his death last year at the ripe old age of 94...I wish your father a speedy recovery and I support you and all of us in self-care and giving ourselves the gift of wellness.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #360  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingGuy View Post
Yes, it is!!! I put very skinny wedges of lemon on 3 bottles and take them to work - lemon gives some flavor to my water, I just can't drink more than 8c of plain water.
Closed Thread