Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #331  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle02 View Post
I was wondering if it makes a difference in weight loss if you eat your snacks at night instead of the day?
The first 2 days I had them in the day and lost 3lbs but was starving at night. So the next few days I ate them at night and my weight stayed the same. The last few days of the week I ate them in the day and I lost 2 more lbs. What is up with that? lol What can I have at night instead of the bars that I have for snacks. Can I eat more vegys?
Help! I am hungry at night and don't know what to eat seeing as I have eaten all my requirements for the day.
I use packets like the raspberry jelly or choc drink something that is not restricted. Bars are restricted. Worth a try.........good luck!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:41 AM   #332  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Help with my Questions GREATLY appreciated: How do you measure veggies on IP? I used to use a measuring cup but I am not sure if I am getting all my veggies in when it comes to broccoli and cauliflower-they stalks are big so only three fit in the cup (however if I chopped those three stalks up, there would still be room in the cup). I also have started to chop up asparagus to fit it in the measuring cup but find this tedious. My ND did not give me any veggie measuring instructions...what has everyone else done? Does anyone weigh veggies on a food scale (8 oz for a cup)? or is that too much because it yields significantly more veggies than just measuring.
Also, I weigh meat before I cook it and mushrooms as well because they shrink after cooking and would cause me to eat more if I weighed after cooking.
Is flavored coffee (black) ok. Noah's bagels has a Chelsea blend of coffee that I love to drink black (it's a vanilla hazelnut blend). Is that ok?

Can you use vanilla or almond extract in puddings to add flavor?
Thank you so much for your help; I love this forum!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #333  
Started IP 8/29/10

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTraveleronIP View Post
Help with my Questions GREATLY appreciated: How do you measure veggies on IP? I used to use a measuring cup but I am not sure if I am getting all my veggies in when it comes to broccoli and cauliflower-they stalks are big so only three fit in the cup (however if I chopped those three stalks up, there would still be room in the cup). I also have started to chop up asparagus to fit it in the measuring cup but find this tedious. My ND did not give me any veggie measuring instructions...what has everyone else done? Does anyone weigh veggies on a food scale (8 oz for a cup)? or is that too much because it yields significantly more veggies than just measuring.
Also, I weigh meat before I cook it and mushrooms as well because they shrink after cooking and would cause me to eat more if I weighed after cooking.
Is flavored coffee (black) ok. Noah's bagels has a Chelsea blend of coffee that I love to drink black (it's a vanilla hazelnut blend). Is that ok?

Can you use vanilla or almond extract in puddings to add flavor?
Thank you so much for your help; I love this forum!

I'm curious to see what people suggest for measuring veggies, as I've had the same thoughts as well. What I can offer some help with is perking up those puddings . I have added coconut or orange extract to the chocolate pudding - either addition tastes pretty good. My favorite though, is to add spices. I never make chocolate pudding now without adding at least cinnamon spice, and usually cayenne pepper as well. The other thing I recently started doing on someone from this board's suggestion is to add cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to the vanilla pudding. SOOO GOOD. It tastes like a decadent dessert.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #334  
Restarted on 01/10/17

S/C/G: 212/212/123

Height: 5'1"

I put pumpkin pie spice and/or cinnamon in my vanilla pudding. I also was using orange, mint, coconut or my new favorite, Tone's raspberry extract, in the chocolate pudding (and raspberry in the vanilla pudding is excellent), but I felt like it was slowing my weight loss (because of the alcohol), so I've cut way back on the extracts and am using pumpkin pie spice A LOT!

Old 11-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #335  

S/C/G: 245.6/193.4/180.0 IP 10/17/10

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
A food scale is the most accurate way to measure vegetables. 16 ounces is 16 ounces no matter what!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #336  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
How do you measure veggies on IP?
Hi World Traveler and Pinky,

I've mentioned this site so many times I suppose I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. It is the site that all other, commercial or free calorie counters are derived from:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

It is good for measuring the calories and nutrients of practically any food, including a lot of commonly eaten commercial products.

You enter the name of the food you want to measure, and/or the amount, and it gives you the nutritional values of protein, fats, etc., as well as vitamins, and amino acids. While the format is lost when I copy it, here are the values for 2 cups of raw broccoli, or 192 grams.

I could go into a much deeper explanation, but why don't you just try it. Enter broccoli, return, then chose the description that suits you (1 cup chopped [91 grams]), 1 bunch, 1 spear, or simply enter the amount of grams of your portion, submit, and the following is what you get for 2 cups of broccoli raw. Why not try it? Of course, for this to work you need a food scale but everyone on the program should have one.

Broccoli, raw

New Search
Refuse: 39% (Leaves and tough stalks with trimmings)
Scientific Name: Brassica oleracea var. italica
NDB No: 11090 (Nutrient values and weights are for edible portion)

Nutrient Units 2.00 X 1 cup chopped
-------
182g
Proximates
Water
g
Energy
kcal
Energy
kJ
Protein
g
Total lipid (fat)
g
Ash
g
Carbohydrate, by difference
g
Fiber, total dietary
g
Sugars, total
g
Sucrose
g
Glucose (dextrose)
g
Fructose
g
Lactose
g
Maltose
g
Galactose
g
Starch
g
Minerals
Calcium, Ca
mg
Iron, Fe
mg
Magnesium, Mg
mg
Phosphorus, P
mg
Potassium, K
mg
Sodium, Na
mg
Zinc, Zn
mg
Copper, Cu
mg
Manganese, Mn
mg
Selenium, Se
mcg
Vitamins
Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid
mg
Thiamin
mg
Riboflavin
mg
Niacin
mg
Pantothenic acid
mg
Vitamin B-6
mg
Folate, total
mcg
Folic acid
mcg
Folate, food
mcg
Folate, DFE
mcg_DFE
Choline, total
mg
Betaine
mg
Vitamin B-12
mcg
Vitamin B-12, added
mcg
Vitamin A, RAE
mcg_RAE
Retinol
mcg
Carotene, beta
mcg
Carotene, alpha
mcg
Cryptoxanthin, beta
mcg
Vitamin A, IU
IU
Lycopene
mcg
Lutein + zeaxanthin
mcg
Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
mg
Vitamin E, added
mg
Tocopherol, beta
mg
Tocopherol, gamma
mg
Tocopherol, delta
mg
Vitamin D (D2 + D3)
mcg
Vitamin D
IU
Vitamin K (phylloquinone)
mcg
Lipids
Fatty acids, total saturated
g
4:0
g
6:0
g
8:0
g
10:0
g
12:0
g
14:0
g
15:0
g
16:0
g
17:0
g
18:0
g
20:0
g
22:0
g
Fatty acids, total monounsaturated
g
14:1
g
15:1
g
16:1 undifferentiated
g
17:1
g
18:1 undifferentiated
g
20:1
g
22:1 undifferentiated
g
Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated
g
18:2 undifferentiated
g
18:3 undifferentiated
g
18:3 n-6 c,c,c
g
18:4
g
20:2 n-6 c,c
g
20:3 undifferentiated
g
20:4 undifferentiated
g
20:5 n-3 (EPA)
g
22:5 n-3 (DPA)
g
22:6 n-3 (DHA)
g
Cholesterol
mg
Amino acids
Tryptophan
g
Threonine
g
Isoleucine
g
Leucine
g
Lysine
g
Methionine
g
Cystine
g
Phenylalanine
g
Tyrosine
g
Valine
g
Arginine
g
Histidine
g
Alanine
g
Aspartic acid
g
Glutamic acid
g
Glycine
g
Proline
g
Serine
g
Other
Alcohol, ethyl
g
Caffeine
mg
Theobromine
mg
USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 23 (2010)
Old 11-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #337  

Default Measuring veggies

After measuring in the first 7-10 days, I just "eye-balled" the amount of vegetables, especially the everyday ones. There are so few carbohydrates and sugars in stem and leaf veggies, I figured having a little more of them wouldn't slow me down. I always measured the roots, pod/seed veggies and those on the IP occasional list (2/week). It may not work for you -- the guidelines say to measure them. If you want to be safe, weigh them as Linden suggests. As you've said, with volume measures of veggies there is a lot of variation depending on how they're cut, but a gram is a gram is a gram. (28 grams = 1 ounce)
Old 11-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #338  

S/C/G: 147/128/115

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20bydec View Post
i am confused on the cabbage - i see spots where we can and then when i checked on the trantiendiet.com it says cabbage is fine.
I talked to my coach and she was telling me how cabbage is one of her stable meals. She makes coslaw with it all the time. I think it depends on your coach. But i would say if u need more variety, eat it
Old 11-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #339  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Thank you everyone for your help!! You are all inspiring to me!!
Happy Saturday to everyone!
Old 11-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #340  

Question considering IP

Hello, I'm considering doing IP but I'm a very picky eater and always have been. I only eat onions off the approved veggie list and would rather starve than eat any of the others.(I have a lot of food issues).

I will eat salad but, I just this year learned to eat salad and have a hard time eating a lot of it.

Do you have to eat the veggies?

Is this a deal breaker?

I was doing the lean cuisine/1200 cal a day/exercise thing before but have had minimal weight loss.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #341  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebecaLovesVW View Post
Hello, I'm considering doing IP but I'm a very picky eater and always have been. I only eat onions off the approved veggie list and would rather starve than eat any of the others.(I have a lot of food issues).

I will eat salad but, I just this year learned to eat salad and have a hard time eating a lot of it.

Is this a deal breaker?

I was doing the lean cuisine/1200 cal a day/exercise thing before but have had minimal weight loss.
I am not what one would refer to as an IP expert, but I believe the main purpose of the veggies is to provide some "substance" in our diet (beyond just shakes), give us more nutrients that we don't obtain from other sources and also to keep us "regular", avoiding the big C. :-) There are some days that I don't eat any other veggies than pickles. Have you talked to a coach in your area about doing this program and your limitations with veggies? How much are you trying to lose? What does your regular day diet consist of?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #342  

Default considering

I mean in terms of veg that I will eat its the usual no-no suspects:
Potatoes, corn, avocados, onions, romaine lettuce, jalapenos,tomatillos......

I'll eat frozen peas, but I swallow them whole like medicine...

Right now I'm doing:
Breakfast: A protein bar- usually a luna bar or special K bar (180 cal)(Diet Pepsi)
snack: 100 cal pack of popcorn or peanutbutter (off the spoon)
Lunch: Lean Cuisine Meal (280-330 cal) - Crystal Light
snack: Special K cereal bar (90 cal)
Dinner: Lean Cuisine (280-330 cal)
If going to the gym I usually have spoonfull of peanut butter and caramel corn cake when i get back.

-Thanks for getting back so quick!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:50 AM   #343  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:

Right now I'm doing:
Breakfast: A protein bar- usually a luna bar or special K bar (180 cal)(Diet Pepsi)
If going to the gym I usually have spoonfull of peanut butter and caramel corn cake when i get back.

Thanks for getting back so quick!
I am by no means an expert either. I have not read the labels on the above foods, at least lately, but it sounds like a lot of sugar and way more carbs than is allow on IP. Basically no carbs in phase 1 and 2.
some of the veggies can be like potatoes, celery root, turnips, grated cauliflower.
Perhaps looking at the recipe threads and as long as you don't have alergies maybe starting new on IP could be a new start and try veggies with a renewed open mind!
Old 11-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #344  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:

Is this a deal breaker?

To say you have a lot of food issues is minimalizing, I think. If you're not prepared to eat healthy meals with a good distribution of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, low carbohydrates, and reasonably high protein, Ideal Protein is definitely not in your future.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #345  

Quote:
Hello, I'm considering doing IP but I'm a very picky eater and always have been. I only eat onions off the approved veggie list and would rather starve than eat any of the others.(I have a lot of food issues). I will eat salad but, I just this year learned to eat salad and have a hard time eating a lot of it.

Is this a deal breaker?

Quote:

Right now I'm doing:
Rebecca, good for you for doing a little research on different programs to find out how it would work for you!

It could be that you're not losing weight on this calorie level because of your carbohydrate intake. Your carbohydrate intake from starches and sugars is well over 100 grams/day. I've seen various recommendations that 100 g - 150 g carbohydrate per day from starch and fruit sources as the range for maintaining weight.

Although potatoes and corn are plant foods, they are starches and not what is really meant by the word "vegetables" on many diet plans. Potato is a tuber (root), corn is a grain. <Botany lesson now over> That leaves you with avocados, romaine lettuce, onion, jalapeno, tomatillo. Avocado is out, onion is limited (2 cups/week), leaving you with lettuce, jalapeno and tomatillo.

As Linden wrote above, Ideal Protein is about learning a new way of eating that includes a lot of vegetables ... for the rest of your life.

Not eating the veggies while eating Ideal Protein packets is a deal killer. I think there's a high probability that protein + minimal fat + no carbs from veggies = HEALTH DESTROYING

My recommendation:
Learn to love vegetables, then start the Ideal Protein Diet
or
Find a program that will accommodate your vegetable preferences.

Sorry.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 11-14-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Closed Thread