Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #106  
Ideal Protein Newbie

S/C/G: 185/185/135

Height: 5'2"

So now that I have hated a few of the items I've tried I cannot even make myself make the omlete or the beef stew. I just gag on some of these foods. I've heard people say how good some of them are. I think it's because I've never been one for "different" food like tofu and soy products (before IP) and all of their stuff is soy.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 210/190.5/135 Start: 09/20/09

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukandewit View Post

Does anyone have a list of all the foods and nutrition info? I'm going to try to stock up on the higher protein items for the next week or two to see if that makes a difference. I know someone posted info before and the top items were at 20g of protein - chocolate pudding, raspberry jelly, peach & mango drink.
I'm attaching 3 handouts that I received when I joined. These 3 docs are taped to the inside door of my pantry for quick reference.

File 1: Nutritional Fact Sheet.pdf -- lists all the IP items with their nutritional breakdown. Also highlights which items are restricted.

File 2: Phase 1 - ITG.pdf -- This lists what you can have for each meal, and what food items are permitted.

File 3: Preparation Instructions.pdf -- This is the summary info of how to prepare each of the packets. I prefer to use the metric quantity for water since it's more precise.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nutritional Fact Sheet.pdf (16.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: pdf Phase 1 - ITG.pdf (67.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: pdf Preparation Instructions.pdf (25.5 KB, 103 views)
Old 10-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 180/180/154

Mizaron - Americanspice.com is a very interesting site. I am wondering what the difference is between the "oil" and the "syrups" i use. I am assuming one uses a lot less oil. How can oil be fatfree tho? Mmmmmm...the pumpkin oil sounds good for the butterscotch pudding, huh? (it is cold and rainy out -- thinking of pumpkin pie and hot cocoa today).

Kira...thanks for posting all the info sheets. Kira also posted this info under Ideal Protein FAQ, so that newbies can always find it.

Texan123 - I have never been a fan of soy either. I usually have to mask the taste of everything somehow. If you have ever had an eggwhite omelet, I think you might like the omelet if you throw in veggies. I hated the Leek soup, yet others really like it. I liked the chicken soup if I added garlic powder and watered it down and added veggies. Does anyone else have suggestions on how to make some of the packets taste a bit better? (I don't have to do anything to the bars....lol). On the oatmeal, I dribble less than a tablespoon of WF pancake syrup (not a bad syrup at all.....considering some of the sugarfree syrups I have tried in my life time). I DO like the oatmeal and actually look forward to it for breakfast (I was never a breakfast eater...).

I would like input on the crepes (are those restricted? duh...I think I know the answer...). What about the chili and the spaghetti??? What about the PinaColada drink? (if one added rum flavoring, would it taste like a pinacolada??)
Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #109  

Hi torchlaker -
Crepes - Like them a lot. They are restricted. My favorite IP item is to make a crepe / pancake, spread pudding over it and roll it like a blintz. Plain crepe with chocolate pudding, or chocolate crepe with vanilla is great. I do add a pkg of sweetener to both the pudding and the crepe, but that's per your taste. Since it's two packages, this is two servings (but only 1/2 a restricted item per person).

I've also started making chocolate cookies. I'll post this on the recipes, but it's 2 pkgs of chocolate crepe mix, 1 egg white, 2 sweeteners, and 2 oz water. Mix it together, put on a baking sheet, and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Makes 6 cookies for 2 people.

I like the Chili a lot. I was very suspicious when I first saw it - couldn't believe it would turn into something palatable, but it surprised me. I loved it with Green Beans mixed in -- before I realized those were restricted. I try to minimize its use though since it's restricted (but only to 1 per day, not the once / twice per week).

So this was really interesting to me. Yesterday I was googling Dr. Tran Tien Chanh, looking for more background info on the diet, and I came across something called the Matol Diet. They have identical products to the Ideal Protein Diet (same photos on the boxes and everything). It seems like this may have been around a little longer than Ideal Protein -- maybe it's a predessor to the IP program? I'm not sure.

Anyway, I came across this site with a ton of recipes! http://www.matol.com/Corpo/Hcenter/w...spx?lang=EN_US
I'd post them, but it looks like there are over 50 listed. (and interestingly, a few of them were given out by my IP coach!)
Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 209/173/165

Height: 5'8"

Default oatmeal pancakes

Has anyone tried to make this? This is an old WW standby, but started thinking it could work.

1 packet of maple oatmeal
1 egg white
1/4 tsp baking powder
packet of splenda
cinnamon to taste

mix and fry in non stick pan. Any reason this wouldn't work for phase one?

BTW, I am new on here, been doing Low Carb for awhile and lost about 22 lbs that way, current weight 187, goal weight of 150. Nice to meet you all and your posts are extremely helpful.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #111  
IP started 9/27/09

S/C/G: 232/217/125

If you go to the Ideal Protein site, you can click on any of the products to see their nutritional information. When you look at the number of carbs in each, you will quickly see why some packets are restricted. However, those items are among the most filling. All of the packets have 18-20g of protein, so there's not much difference in choosing any of them for protein's sake.

Also, there is a link to Dr. Tran's page on the home page of Ideal Protein. I was told Ideal Protein had been in Europe for 20 years, Canada for about 10, and the US for 2-3. So while it seems really new, it's tried-and-true.

The chemical taste is from Splenda—different from the chemical tastes of saccharine & aspartame, but similar in nastyness. It's an aquired taste. I'm starting to adjust. And I'm not a fan of soy either—prefer whey protein for taste—but I suppose I'll deal.

I too find the puddings to be really filling.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #112  
Ideal Protein Newbie

S/C/G: 185/185/135

Height: 5'2"

Harmonymom2 -- For me I think the chemical taste (and nasty taste) is from the soy not Spelenda. I love splenda and have never had an aftertaste with it.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #113  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira View Post
Hi torchlaker -
Crepes - Like them a lot. They are restricted. My favorite IP item is to make a crepe / pancake, spread pudding over it and roll it like a blintz. Plain crepe with chocolate pudding, or chocolate crepe with vanilla is great. I do add a pkg of sweetener to both the pudding and the crepe, but that's per your taste. Since it's two packages, this is two servings (but only 1/2 a restricted item per person).

I've also started making chocolate cookies. I'll post this on the recipes, but it's 2 pkgs of chocolate crepe mix, 1 egg white, 2 sweeteners, and 2 oz water. Mix it together, put on a baking sheet, and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Makes 6 cookies for 2 people.

I like the Chili a lot. I was very suspicious when I first saw it - couldn't believe it would turn into something palatable, but it surprised me. I loved it with Green Beans mixed in -- before I realized those were restricted. I try to minimize its use though since it's restricted (but only to 1 per day, not the once / twice per week).

So this was really interesting to me. Yesterday I was googling Dr. Tran Tien Chanh, looking for more background info on the diet, and I came across something called the Matol Diet. They have identical products to the Ideal Protein Diet (same photos on the boxes and everything). It seems like this may have been around a little longer than Ideal Protein -- maybe it's a predessor to the IP program? I'm not sure.

Anyway, I came across this site with a ton of recipes! http://www.matol.com/Corpo/Hcenter/w...spx?lang=EN_US
I'd post them, but it looks like there are over 50 listed. (and interestingly, a few of them were given out by my IP coach!)
Interesting recipes. Thanks for posting. I wonder what the Km is in our world, doesn't look like we have anything like it. The flatbread though is the pancake one.

My interest was peaked, and I am quick to find details. I knew this had to be the case. From the site listed above:

"MATOL DIET ORIGINS
The Matol Diet has its roots in a protein blend that was developed by Dr. G Blackburn from Harvard Medical School in 1973. This protein blend was later significantly improved by Dr. Tran Tien Chanh, a reputable MD and doctor in nutrition, biology and sports medicine. His medical practice at the time focused primarily on high performance athletes. Dr. Chanh reformulated the protein blend with the objective to shed the athletes’ excess weight and maintain their muscle mass. A team of Matol scientists incorporated this superior biological value protein blend into a unique, pH-regulating, detoxifying and energizing botanical, vitamin and mineral weight loss regimen."

Last edited by GoddessTT; 10-21-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #114  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan123 View Post
Harmonymom2 -- For me I think the chemical taste (and nasty taste) is from the soy not Spelenda. I love splenda and have never had an aftertaste with it.

Ha - I think Soy and Splenda are both innocent. If it were the Soy, I'd HATE the Chocolate Soy Puffs, and boy, do I love those. Plus, the omelette and beef stew (I think these were the source of the original "yuck" complaint) don't have any splenda in them so that can't be the issue there.

Anyway, since they can't use traditional ingredients for these (butter, flour, etc), sometimes I think they use some strange ingredients to get the flavors that they need. Sometimes that flavor works for people, sometimes it doesn't. And it varies for each person. I think Wildberry Yogurt Drink, Peach Mango and the Lemon Pudding have a strong chemical flavor. But I know I've heard from others that they love those flavors.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #115  

Default Ideal Protein Product Survey

The Ideal Protein products are relatively expensive. To make choosing a new flavor a little less risky, I've put together a survey on how well participants like each flavor. To take the survey go here:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...dG1PaLwg_3d_3d

I'll periodically post the results of the survey on whatever our current thread is so everyone can see what people like (or not).

Note - I'm using a Free account on Survey Monkey. This means its limited to 100 responses.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #116  
september 21/2009

S/C/G: 227/162/160

Height: 5ft7"

hi there,

someone posted all the nutrional info and fact sheets on the Q&A site for those who are interested....

The cereal - torchlaker, is basically a vanilla protien drink, with a few rice crispies floating around. because i was already used to the premix vanilla drink, this tasted good to me. it is quick and simple for work days, and being that i am a cereal eater to begin with just seemed routine for me...

the bok choy - if i had to describe it i would say a cross between spinach and cabbabe. a while back, on the old thread, someone broke down the calories for cabbage and included bok choy as being the best for you...anyways the leafy part is just like spinach, and the bottom part is nice and crisp, even a wee bit sweet...i just really like it. i stir fry it alot.

the spinach i added to my stirfry which had natural juices from sprouts, bit or soya and yes, bit of broth. the fresh is good in the soups too. never ate so much spinach in my life!!

have a good day!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #117  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessTT View Post
Interesting recipes. Thanks for posting. I wonder what the Km is in our world, doesn't look like we have anything like it. The flatbread though is the pancake one.

My interest was peaked, and I am quick to find details. I knew this had to be the case. From the site listed above:

"MATOL DIET ORIGINS
The Matol Diet has its roots in a protein blend that was developed by Dr. G Blackburn from Harvard Medical School in 1973. This protein blend was later significantly improved by Dr. Tran Tien Chanh, a reputable MD and doctor in nutrition, biology and sports medicine. His medical practice at the time focused primarily on high performance athletes. Dr. Chanh reformulated the protein blend with the objective to shed the athletes’ excess weight and maintain their muscle mass. A team of Matol scientists incorporated this superior biological value protein blend into a unique, pH-regulating, detoxifying and energizing botanical, vitamin and mineral weight loss regimen."

I sent a question to my coach about the Matol Diet. He identified the following:
Quote:
Ideal Protein makes the products sold under the Matol label.

However, Matol is a MLM venture. No one who markets Matol has to be
knowledgeable whatsoever in any particular field.
Kind of interesting. I think the Multi-Level Marketing aspect of it will ultimately hurt it. Also anyone can sell it, not just doctors and clinics.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #118  

Height: 5'6"

Hey thanks everyone for the great ideas, recipes and the Matol list of recipes, I have printed it all and am starting a binder for Ideal Protein recipes since I am sure this will be my meal plan for quite some time.

Also thanks for the American Spices website posting too, I ordered some oils today to cure my sweet cravings.

I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone, this thread is what helps me each day through this journey.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 180/180/154

Wow -- what a wealth of info you all are!! Kira -- you must love to research, or at least, know more than I do. I researched Ideal Protein for 2-3 weeks before I went on it, and never came across that site. Thank you so much! What a wonderful idea for the survey, too! The "filled crepe" sounds wonderful. I do miss my crepes (but with strawberries and whipped cream!!).

SandraB - Between you and my hairdresser (just got back from there), I HAVE to try the bok choy. I have NEVER eaten so much spinach in my life. Keep looking at my arms to see if I am ever gonna look like Popeye!! I will post my motherinlaws salad dressing recipe in the recipe file....It was made to go with spinach salad. Don't know how legal it is....but it sure helps the spinach go down. So....do you add anything to your stirfry besides the broth...I made it a few weeks ago, and can't remember how I made it.

CoolBreeze - are you on IP now, or doing LC?? (I assume we will all be doing low carb eventually, if I remember right). Liked your avatar (same as mine) -- do you live near the ocean or just dream about it? I am going to St.John USVI in March...first trip ever by myself since my husband died. Eddie and I went to Punta Cana just 3 weeks before he died and we parasailed up above the beautiful waters.....but, I gotta tell ya -- the reason I picked the avatar is because of Torch Lake MI (hence my screenname). Torch Lake has all the colors of the Caribbean and I am so blessed to live by it. My bedroom is all done in Torch Lake colors with all kinds of pictures of Torch on it...my big seller is pendants I paint of Torch Lake.

Well, I am procrastinating again. Easier to sit down and read all your wonderful posts instead of finishing off my pendants, and getting my sewing stuff together for the sewing weekend (just all seems like too much work today). Plus I need to make up my salad dressing, chicken and those cookies to take with me (awwww....I might just make puddings. I used to love pumpkin pie for breakfast - wish I had that pumpkin oil).
Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #120  
september 21/2009

S/C/G: 227/162/160

Height: 5ft7"

Hi,

Great idea - survey... i completed it, but am unsure as to how i can see the results?
Closed Thread