Well, I got a lovely Christmas present....I made GOAL!! While I appreciate that I did not have that much to lose to begin with, I am consoling myself that a loss is a loss and I am loving the changes I am seeing in my body.
I was always a chubby girl and struggled with weight issues from my childhood. I tried several methods to lose the weight - including the dreaded cabbage soup diet - but of course none of those methods lasted.
In my attempt to lose weight, I joined the gym 5 years ago and to be honest, I have never looked back. I love exercise and the way how it makes me feel - that rush, that feeling of accomplishment. However, I gained 32lbs while during those 5 years even though I was working out faithfully at least 4 times a week. I realized that the problem was my diet - I was eating healthy foods alright - just too much.
I made the decision to put a stop to it on May 19, 2010. I was fed up after seeing a picture of myself. I looked disgusting. I cannot even post my before picture here...i am so ashamed of how I had let myself go. On the 19th of May I went to see a nutritionist and he showed me what the proper portion sizes are...and since then I have not turned back. I have lost 34lbs and I must say that I am loving my body. Even though I was 166lbs in 2006 when I joined the gym, I am much smaller now than I was then at 164lbs. I have 6 more lbs to go (for vanity) and then I am going to focus on maintaining and toning.
I have attached some pics I took yesterday evening and even though I have some ways to go...I am proud of what I see....
Things I have learned:
1. Nutrition is key - fill up on filling foods such as veggies and whole grains
2. Eating 5-6 small meals helps to curb hunger
3. Exercise is important
4. Food journalling is a must
5. Having a food scale is an awesome tool to help track calories
6. Resisting temptation is hard but it CAN be done
7. It's ok to go off plan once in awhile, just as long as you get back on track right after
8. People DO treat slim persons differently but I think it has to do with an increase in self esteem and confidence on my part
9. Shopping for clothes ROCKS!!!
10. I am in love with myself!!!!
P.S. I added the before pic - look at the size of those arms!