Today I'm 45 and the smallest I've been in 30 years!

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Today is my 45th birthday. After many attempts and some short term success I decided in February that I wouldn't let another year go by as a fat girl. Today I weighed in at 118 (ok up a few pounds but under a bit of stress right now, grandma died Friday). I've been maintaining 114 to 120 for a few months right now. This is the smallest I've been since I was 14 or 15 years old.

Since February I've been on a low carb type diet, not Atkins specifically, but one where I don't eat pasta, rice, bread or most potatoes (I cheat and make homemade french fries occasionally). I gave up sugar (I am a candy freak) and fast food (this was the biggie). Within 3 months I was down 50 pounds. The rest has been falling off when I'm not looking. I am totally amazed at how fast a change can be made, even by us old gals, just by simply changing the way we eat and the way we think about eating.

So here I sit, 45 years old now, and I have reached a goal that I never thought was possible at my age. My husband asked what I wanted for my birthday.....I told him that the ladies at 3FC have already given me the best present that I could of dreamed of. I wish to thank everyone for their words of wisdom and encouragement in this journey. I could never have done this without my daily visits to this site. You ladies (and gents) are wonderful, take a bow!

I plan on staying active here for a long time to go, this site keeps me motivated and honest. Your successes are my successes and vice versa! I love you all
  • wow, I am so happy for you! That is amazing!!! Fantastic job!
  • Congratulations on making such a significant change during the last year! You gave yourself the best gift ever.

Happy, Happy Birthday!

J
  • Happy Birthday and congratulations on a great achievment ! Sorry to hear about your Grandma .
  • Quote: Today is my 45th birthday. After many attempts and some short term success I decided in February that I wouldn't let another year go by as a fat girl. Today I weighed in at 118 (ok up a few pounds but under a bit of stress right now, grandma died Friday). I've been maintaining 114 to 120 for a few months right now. This is the smallest I've been since I was 14 or 15 years old.

Since February I've been on a low carb type diet, not Atkins specifically, but one where I don't eat pasta, rice, bread or most potatoes (I cheat and make homemade french fries occasionally). I gave up sugar (I am a candy freak) and fast food (this was the biggie). Within 3 months I was down 50 pounds. The rest has been falling off when I'm not looking. I am totally amazed at how fast a change can be made, even by us old gals, just by simply changing the way we eat and the way we think about eating.

So here I sit, 45 years old now, and I have reached a goal that I never thought was possible at my age. My husband asked what I wanted for my birthday.....I told him that the ladies at 3FC have already given me the best present that I could of dreamed of. I wish to thank everyone for their words of wisdom and encouragement in this journey. I could never have done this without my daily visits to this site. You ladies (and gents) are wonderful, take a bow!

I plan on staying active here for a long time to go, this site keeps me motivated and honest. Your successes are my successes and vice versa! I love you all
    What an accomplishment!!!!!!!! Your heading caught my eye and then I looked at your dimensions and age and they are almost all the same as mine . Your post gives me hope and put a HUGE smile on my face this morning
  • Wow congratulations on reaching your goal. How very exciting. Maintaining takes a LOT more effort, just don't ever give up!! Sorry to hear about your grandma, and hugs to you.
  • Happy birthday and congrats!!
  • Congratulations to you! I just started (well, re-started) my weight-loss/lifestyle change journey, and it's encouraging to read success stories like yours. Any advice for those of us just getting started? I haven't yet thought very seriously about my long- and short-term goals, and I'm very open to hearing what works and what doesn't work in terms of goal-setting and rewards.

Thank you and keep up the good work!

~K
  • FANTASTIC job! It is so inspiring to see your success!
  • Happy Belated Birthday and Congratulations!!
  • WOW, what a wonderful thing to be able to say - you have succeeded in reaching your goal, changing your life forever - YOU DID IT! What an amazing present you have given not only yourself but all those who love you as well.

You have also given us all here a gift - by sharing your success, you have given hope and proof that it can be done - especially to those of us at the beginning of our journey. Your story can be our story - thank you so much for that!

What a week you've had - celebrating one loss and grieving another - my sincerest sympathy to you and your family for the passing of your grandmother.

Keep up the good work now that you're in maintainence (how great is that?) - best wishes and good luck.
  • Wow, thank you all for your kind responses! I feel so much better now than when I was heavier. We can all do this

NoDak- the only advice I have is find what works for you and stick to it. Set goals that are realistic and attainable. And most of all be flexible (so maybe you didn't make your goal this month- its okay, you can make it next month....I had to tell myself that a few times, that it wasn't a race but something that I could achieve if I just kept at it).

Mercy03- our stats are definitely close. Actually the 140's and 150's are where I spent most of my time trying to stay in my 30's. I was chubby but never felt fat. To be honest, I don't know what possessed me to get down into the 115 to 120 range this time around. It just happened. But I am not upset about it, LOL You can definitely do this! Age does not prevent us from accomplishing our goals, even when it comes to weight....now if only I had a magic wand to banish the tummy, improve the boobies (perky would be nice instead of droopy), and give me back my butt! Thank god for clothes.

annie175- another Indiana girl! Your right maintaining is the hardest thing. I know that I need to eat more but its so hard because my mind still thinks in terms of "if I eat that I'll get fat". At this point I am considering starting some kind of strength training, but darn it all, I'm a bit lazy!

leeway- Thank you! My story will be your story and there can be no doubt about it! I take my inspiration from everyone here. I love to read about everyone successes, it is so motivating!

We can and will do this together!!
  • CONGRATULATIONS and Happy Birthday <---- low carb of course
  • Congrats on your success! Very impressive! I have a quick question, did you eliminate fruit too or did you eat it in moderation?
  • I'm sorry to hear of your loss (grandmother)

On the other hand, I'm thrilled to hear of your loss (all the weight) and keeping it off!

Congratulations on a job well done, and shouting it out so others of us still working towards our goal continue to stay motivated and inspired!