3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Body for Life 19 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/9898-body-life-19-a.html)

susanje 10-02-2001 09:39 AM

Body for Life 19

Hello all,

Number Nineteen!!!!

I am still doing okay. Have kickstarted my program with low carb and am feeling better all the time. Still not 100 percent at the gym due to my idiotic interview schedule but that ends this week.

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Susan

MrsJim 10-02-2001 12:33 PM

Amazing how quickly our threads get TOO DARN LONG!

I know I can be rather verbose at times.

Well, thank goodness our natural air conditioning (the famous San Francisco Bay fog) has kicked in. I was just feeling DRAINED the last couple of days.

This morning I tried doing my 20 MAS on the Step Mill. I'm telling ya now, that is one tuff mo'. I warmed up at level 4-5, was only able to get through one circuit (levels 6-7-8-9) before hanging it up and going back to the treadmill! Maybe I should start at a lower level next time. I almost fell off a couple of times, just like George Costanza in Seinfeld. That would have been my second embarassing moment in the gym in two days.

Yesterday I was doing my UBWO, actually doing close grip bench presses (triceps). My left arm failed (this happens to me on occasion) and I almost strangled myself. :o Fortunately one nice guy came to my rescue. I really wish I could get Jim to go work out with me, it would be great to have a spotter! So I guess when I do close grip BPs I will use the Smith machine from now on, since I don't like using the Nautilus machines (I think free weights give you a better workout).

Can't believe I'm already on Week 11 of my second challenge. The weeks are just flying by!

ShelleyM 10-03-2001 05:27 AM

I have started working out in the afternoons. It's amazing how much more strenghth I have, rather than right when I get up! I think this may work for me, as long as I do it! Also, I've done lower carbs now for 2 days. Going pretty well! I found an absolutely wonderful bar. It's Designer Whey Chocolate Malted Muscle. It has 30 grams of protein, 7 grams of carbs, and 2 grams of sugar. I'm in heaven! The only problem is, it costs $2.50 at the health food store. My friend is going to try to get it from the manufacturer and sell it at her gift store. This is the first high protein bar I can honestly say that I don't have to choke down!!

Mrs. J-I bet the step mill is fun! I would love to try one sometime. I remember seeing a movie years back where someone was using one. It looks like quite a workout.

I was only able to do about 2 minutes of jump rope yesterday. That's quite a workout in itself!

MrsJim 10-03-2001 12:35 PM

I admit - I'm having an affair!!!!

...with the Smith Machine!!

I LOVE doing squats and lunges...my legs are starting to feel like iron (still have a lot of pudge on 'em though - it's been there for over 20 years so I don't expect it to just melt off overnight).

Did you gals see Maybellene's pix on the L&S Transformation Gallery? Oof! What changes after 12 weeks...

I've started posting at another site as well - the forums at Gardenweb.com. I was just lurking there and someone started posting questions about BFL. So I signed up and chimed in!

There is now a pretty active thread there on the Diet Club board and one on their Exercise & Nutrition board as well. Susanje, I hope you don't mind - I copied over the info you used to post at the beginning of the BFL threads here - giving you FULL credit of course. So much info that I thought it would help others, and judging from the responses, I think it has.

Some members there who were looking into the Michael Thurmond thing but couldn't afford the nearly $200 that it costs to buy the program have instead gotten the BFL book (I always let 'em know the money goes to Make A Wish - or they can check it out of their library) and read the Hussman site to find out more. I just love this program so much...it has helped me tremendously. Seems to me that since I started doing BFL, some of my lifelong dreams are being fulfilled. Taking riding lessons again...getting ready to enter my first horse show...having the courage to start looking for our first home...and GETTING INTO SIZE 6 JEANS...everything seems to be falling into place so neatly!

lhendricks 10-03-2001 01:35 PM

Pam Brown etc.

Thanks to Mrs.Jim I was able to see some of the "transformations" - if I didn't know better, I'd swear that the pictures were altered in some way. Really inspiring, although no more than you all.

I'm getting really excited. I have a notebook that I've started saving some items in, although I plan to stick to "BFL bible" for my first rotation.

SHELLYM if you search for "designer protein bars" in Yahoo Shopping they are availible from a place called Planet Supplements for $22.49 per box (12 bars)

MrsJim 10-03-2001 03:02 PM

HOTTIE ALERT!!!!

Check out the latest pix in the Lean & Strong Transformation Gallery.

If you want a little EYE CANDY, take a look at Robb's after pix. THEN check his before pix. :devil: :devil: :devil:

I must say here that I LOVE my husband, however, Robb is a total fox!!! Woo!

Now, if I can only get Jim to get his butt in the gym...and get away from the ice cream with the fellas at work...HE could look like that in 12 weeks...only even foxier! YOWSA!

DownSizing 10-03-2001 07:54 PM

Hi everyone!

It sounds like everyone is doing great!

lhendricks - I was originally planning to start my 1st challenge in September. I got the book (and read it in one sitting!), started planning, found this site, and got so excited I started on August 6th instead! It's been wonderful...

I was thinking about switching my strength training from mornings to evenings, but I've been doing so well with mornings that I'm afraid to change it! I know I would be stronger then, but with my job I never know when I'm going to get home and I don't want to have all day to talk myself out of working out!

I'm starting to get questioned at work about what exactly it is I'm doing - "you look like you're losing weight but every time I see you you're eating!" - etc. Had to bite my tongue today when one of my co-workers started talking about Atkins. She was telling me how it's the only diet that works for her; she lost 25 lbs. the 1st time she was on it, 20 lbs. the 2nd time...I wanted to tell her "HELLO! If you have to keep going back on it, it's not working!!!" But she's a senior partner and I'm just a lowly secretary, so I just smiled. When I get down another size or 2, maybe I can get on my soapbox! :^:

Marci

MrsJim 10-03-2001 11:05 PM

Jest you wait, Marci!!!

At work, I just kept my little ol' mouth shut...and waited until people asked ME what the heck I was doing to look so hot!

It's been happening a lot lately! In fact today I was wearing my **NEW SIZE 6 JEANS** (woohoo! I'm still jazzed about 'em!) at work and one of my coworkers told me that I was 'lookin' good' and asked what I was doing. I told him a bit about BFL, the upshot is that I'm loaning him the book! And after he's done, another one of my coworkers has asked to borrow the book.

I totally agree with you on the Atkins thing. In my mind, the definition of something 'working' is when you get permanent lasting results...I mean, if you had surgery for cancer, and it went away only to come back, does that mean the surgery was successful? Not to me it doesn't!

Well, bath time for moi! See ya gals!

2BFIT1 10-05-2001 08:32 AM

MrsJim~~~I am so excited for you, for getting into those SIZE 6 JEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've worked so hard and you're doing a great job of motivating others.
From where you started, a size 6 is a HUGE accomplishment and I'll be looking forward to new pics soon~~~one of which should be in those jeans. Simply fantastic, gal :cool:
~~~Sil

MrsJim 10-05-2001 09:37 AM

Thanks Sil!

Haven't seen ya round for awhile! How's it goin'?

Yep - I will DEFINITELY have Jim snap some pix of me in my new jeans - AND with Butch, Tucker and Penny (three of my favorite horses at Kramer Training where I ride).

Not to mention the usual posing shots - AFTER I have a bikini wax! After 12 weeks, I'm getting a bit shaggy if you know what I mean... :dizzy:

I had my hair highlighted last night, went a bit more blond this time. Starting to feel like a real California chick finally! :cool:

I just joined the "Quad Squad" over at L&S, they started "Camp Pam B" so I wanted to get in on that. I'm not going to low-carb it though - think I'm doing great with eating just the regular BFL way.

Still waiting to hear from our mortgage broker - maybe today or Monday...he's swamped right now with the interest rates going down, and real estate prices starting to drop - everyone wants to refi or buy. If we get thumbs down, I'll just wait until next year - while paying off our debts (truck, a couple of credit cards) and socking some more $$ away. However, if we get approved I'll be hitting open houses BIG TIME. EEK! I feel so grown-up (my 39th birthday is next month so it's high time) !!! Later gals!

SparkleScamp 10-05-2001 10:59 PM

Introducing myself!

Hello everyone!

My name is Chris and I have been posting on 3FC for over a year now, and in Sugar Busters since March. I also have a website and participate in another forum (see sig). I heard about Body for Life well over a year ago but never investigated until June. I bought the book and had success for a few weeks, but had some problems in my life that threw me off track. I am currently about 150 pounds and would like to give the Challenge my wholehearted effort now! I found this thread and wanted to say hi to all of you.

I have a couple of questions. First, is anyone here from Hawaii? I would be interested in finding someone to complete the challenge with me locallly.

Second, I want to make sure I understand the rules. I have an email in to the Body for Life website, but perhaps someone can provide an immediate answer. If I'm going to enter the 2002 challenge can I finish anytime in 2002? Like for example, if I start Monday and finish on January 6th, 2002, and turn in my packet within 11 days, would I qualify?

I look forward to chatting with ya'll (8 years in Alabama).

Here is a current photo of me looking very normal ;)

http://www.shapeshakers.com/pics/aug...rtrait_2sm.jpg

Much aloha,

Chris

ShelleyM 10-06-2001 08:16 AM

Welcome Chris! I'll let the experts answer your questions. Just have one for you. Are you going to stay low carb, or follow the BFL diet? If you are doing your 1st challenge, you really should follow it by the rules. Make sure you visit www.leanandstrong.com. They have a great number of BFL experts there!

MrsJim 10-06-2001 11:16 AM

Howdy Chris!

Hawaii - I wish - I've never even been there...yet. My boss lived there for over 20 years and loved it (but she missed the mainland after awhile). It's defintely on my "places to go" list though!

As far as the official Challenge through EAS, when you sign up they do give you a 'start' and 'end' date. You'll see it on the www.bodyforlife.com website - they'll say, you must start your Challenge by (for example) 1 November 2001, and end by 1 February 2002. I just pulled those dates out of the air though.

During C1 I did sign up for the official Challenge but never got around to sending it in - I signed up mostly for the motivation. Be advised that you **are** required to use EAS products under the rules of the official Challenge, but they do not specifiy a quantity, so technically you can buy a 20-serving box of Myoplex Lite during the entire challenge and you would be eligible. Heck, you can buy one envelope of Myo Lite and be eligible!

You will also be subject to a plethora of emails and snail mails from EAS with 'special offers'. I actually enjoy reading them but also be advised that there are places on the Internet where you can get your products much cheaper than even EAS' 'special prices'. My two favorite places are www.vitaglo.com and www.netrition.com (I order through www.leanandstrong.com's site - that way they get a small commission that keeps the site going).

I DEFINITELY recommend along with Shelley that the Lean & Strong site is a MUST-VISIT. Not only are the extremely knowledgeable people on its message boards (the weekends can be pretty slow, tho') but they have an awesome Transformation Gallery (lately the transformations have been many and outstanding - esp. Robb's and Maybellene's) and the Training Library (check out Pam B's training/nutrition/motivation document there).

Another good place for BFL info is www.hussman.com/eas. Dr. Hussman breaks down the Body-for-LIFE program and explains exactly HOW and WHY it works so well. He's also got a great Q&A page!

Whew - time for me to hit the shower - got my riding lesson today! Take care all!

susanje 10-08-2001 10:05 AM

Mrs Jim:
What is Camp Pam B? You mentioned "I"m not going to low carb it though" are they low carbing it? Since I'm doing low carb (per my dr) it caught my eye. I hesitate to join another L&S team because it would be my 3rd or 4th and I haven't been very active with any other the others.

This week I am changing my gym routine to Sunday/Weds/Fri and cardio (at home on Mondays and Thursdays) Tuesday is my loooooooooooooooooooooong school day so no gym but I eat clean (no free day on low carb). I hope this works out better because I have been truncating my gym time to meet a wacky schedule.

Chris:

WELCOME!!! I've never been to Hawaii either but will get there one of these days!!!

hope everyone has a good week!
Susan

MrsJim 10-08-2001 11:55 AM

Camp Pam B

Susanje - Glad to hear from you again! Hope everything in your busy life is going well.

Camp Pam B is something that started when Pam offered to help one of the other regular gals on L&S - I think they're doing one-on-one personal training (so envious - I'd love to be trained by Pam B!). So many people wanted in on it (mostly on the Quad Squad) that it was decided to post the daily workouts. I don't know if they're going to be doing her training menu though.

The comment I made that I wasn't going to low-carb it wasn't in response to that, but in response to comments I made earlier when you and Shelley (I think!) said you were going to be low-carbing it...I'm going to continue eating the BFL way...I'm doing quite well on it and (besides) I'd really miss my Free Day!

Got a lot of work on the ol' desk, so I'll post more later...