General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 09:57 AM   #1  

Default Body for Life #17

New thread!

Shelley: congrats on nearing the finish on C1! I'm sure that the pix will show a difference or else big changes are on the way!

You can tweak in C2 but for now, just know what a HUGE accomplishment finishing a challenge is!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

Susan
Old 09-06-2001, 11:45 AM   #2  

Hi Konrad,

For C1 I followed the book almost to a tee (I talk about that on my webpage). For C2 I had a rough start with some health problems but now I am back to BFL and have pretty much followed the book except I have added HIIT [high intensity interval training] after my upper body workouts (I go slow for 1 minute and then crank it up to 1 minute as fast as I can go on the treadmill or elliptical followed by 1 minute of moderate pace...the one minute as fast as I can go followed by one minute moderate...I can only keep this up for about 8 minutes...it's grueling...I started with 4 minutes.) Because I do the HIIT I have reduced my cardio to 2 days a week but I don't know if this is a great idea or not (it just feels right to me right now). I also do some swiss ball workouts on some lower body days in addition to weight training. For the second half of C2 I may reduce my carbs the last meal of the day and see if that has any effect. For C1 it is suggested you go by the book and then in C2 tweak a few things if you like but I'm trying not to play with it too much right now. I've been having a lot of health issues the past six weeks and I am trying to stay on course through it. Not easy but I know BFL works and I want to keep going with it. So right now sticking as close to the program as possible is best.

Thanks for writing!
Susan
Old 09-07-2001, 05:41 AM   #3  

Just completed my last LBWO for challenge 1. I am so scared!! What will next week bring??

Susanje-Any tips for getting through free week? I'm thinking about doing some jogging every day. I used to do this before BFL. What about food???? I know you've probably told us before, but now that I am almost at that stage, I need to know what to do! I'm thinking about basically still following the plan and taking my normal free day. What do you think??
Old 09-07-2001, 10:10 AM   #4  

Hi Shelley,

It took me 3 days into Free Week to actually stop doing the BFL plan and get out of the gym. You NEED the rest so don't do any jogging!!! Your body needs to recuperate. I ate like a pig the rest of free week but I notice that like free day I get so sick of having all the food I want and my choices are awful. I wouldn't suggest pigging out but many of us are GLAD to get back to program when we're done. It can be VERY tough (free week) after you are used to such a healthy lifestyle. However, I think it is necessary (like Free day) for psychological and physical reasons. It's hard but do it. Rest that body!!!

Susan
Old 09-08-2001, 02:16 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Whew! Just got back tonight!

These business trips are SOOO exhausting....

Thought I'd take a few moments before hitting the sack to say howdy and YES I'm Baaack!

While I wasn't 100% BFL perfect this week, I think I did fairly well considering I was under a lot of stress (typical) 12-14 hour days and all that meeting food around.

The first couple of nights in Niagara on the Lake, we stayed at a place that I picked out on the Web. It had a pretty decent gym which was the main criteria (White Oaks Resort) but turned out to be near the QEW (freeway) and quite aways from the nice part of NOTL. Checked in on Saturday night and stayed until Monday morning, so I had a great UBWO on Monday.

The hotel that our meeting was at, Queen's Landing Inn, was absolutely gorgeous (as is the historic old town). BUT the fitness facilities, while there, were extremely sparse. Thank goodness they had a treadmill so I could keep up my cardio - but for strength training, all they had was a few Cybex machines - by 'a few' I mean: 1) leg extension; 2) Leg curl; 3) Standing hip extender; 4) Tricep pulldown; 5) Bicep curl; 6) Pulldown; and 7) seated chest press. I usually prefer using free weights so it was a real bummer. Still I did the best I could...added a lot of pushups and ab crunches. Last night I took my group to the Falls to see the illumination (they illuminate the falls with rainbow lighting from 8 pm - midnight) and we didn't get back til midnight. I was still up at 5:30 a.m. though to work out. Thought I'd sleep on the plane today but we ran into some major turbulence - ferget about sleep...

Every morning our breakfast would be a carb-filled bonaza of fruit, bagels, pastries, yogurt, cereal - all your basic convention stuff. Luckily we had an excellent staff helping us and made sure that at 9:30 I would get either an egg-white mushroom omelet or some cottage cheese to go with the fruit - BTW the fruit in Niagara is simply WONDERFUL, esp. the peaches!

I brought my BFL binder along and would read the Hussman site and Pam B's paper at night when I had a spare moment. BTW, I noticed one of the gals - Sil or Michelle I think - on #16 asking about the proper technique on using calipers. Hussman has a very detailed instruction on how to get the proper "pinch" on his site, in the Q&A section. What the heck, let me find it here and quote it for ya... ( www.hussman.com/eas is the site for you newbies out there - full Q&A is at http://www.hussman.com/eas/qanda.htm#fatmeasure )
Quote:
...As for getting an accurate read from your calipers using just the suprailiac, go through these directions step by step.

With your right hand, pinch the skin on the knucle of your left middle finger. Really. Look at it carefully - that's a skinfold. just 2 layers of skin over each other.

Alright, now turn your left hand over, and pinch the lower third of your middle finger (the fleshy part at the bottom). That's *not* a skinfold - there's too much tension in the skin to get a true layer-over-layer fold, so you're catching all sorts of tissue in-between.

Now go to your waist, in a straight line up from your right leg and above the tip of your hipbone, and grab as much as you can of that love-handle with your whole left hand. That's *not* a skinfold either - you're catching a lot of tissue in between, and you don't have a true layer-over-layer fold.

Finally, take left thumb, and either your forefinger or the first 2 fingers, and pinch that love handle again. Now pull it outward away from your body, and wiggle it between your fingers for a second. Still holding that fold firmly, take the jaws of your caliper and set them about a half-inch from your fingers, and close the calipers. Hold the calipers alongside your waist like you're reaching for your 6-gun, rather than at a 90 degree angle to your body. You now have a skin fold between the calipers, and even if you try that 3 or 4 times, you should still get roughly the same reading. You'll get a slightly different reading if you do the left side of your body rather than the right, but the difference should be pretty consistent.
Free Week - here's a quote from Pam B regarding eating during free week (I've quoted this before but it bears repeating!)
Quote:
IN BETWEEN CHALLENGES

I believe that you need a break every 12 weeks. Not only do your muscles need a break, but you need a mental break from all of the structured eating and planning. I would recommend that you eat everything you are craving, but try not to eat large quantities of it. It can really make you sick. You can set aside one "binge day" if you want, but you don't want your week off to be a "binge week" as it can wreak havoc on your system. I am cautioing from experience here (blushing).
During the week I had some time to think about my goals, and while watching TV and reading magazines I was struck by those Old Navy commercials for low rise hiphugger jeans. Here's a new goal for me - my 39th birthday is November 10th. By November 10th, I'm going to OWN a pair of lowrise jeans and WEAR them! Also planning on doing Wishlift in Sacramento on that day. This will probably be one of my most memorable birthdays! I KNOW I can do it! WOO!

OK gals, I wanna hit the gym early tomorrow so time to hit the old sack! Later all!!!
Old 09-08-2001, 08:30 AM   #6  

Thanks for the free week tips. I know myself, and am afraid if I am allowed too much, I'll binge. Yesterday, I already found myself eating more carbs that I should have. This is almost my TOM, so not only is my weight up, but so are my measurements! What a time to be at the end of the challenge. I will still weigh and measure myself tomorrow accurately to see if I have any better results.

No matter what, I am still proud of myself for completing 12 weeks to something that I never thought I would be able to do. That in itself is a great goal met for me!
Old 09-09-2001, 08:49 AM   #7  
Ready!!!

Hello,
Looking for some advice on starting BFL. Going by WW Sept.11th isue to start. I've ordered the book. I am starting Monday morning. Will weigh myself and will take my measurements.
Looking forward to posting on this thread .
Thanks, Cathy
PS, Do you find it necessary to buy the protene
powders?
MrsJim, What is your BFL binder?
So many Questions, but we must go. We are helping SIL get land ready for her horse.
Cathy
Old 09-09-2001, 11:48 AM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Hey there Cathy - Welcome!

I just returned from Ontario a day or so ago myself. Gorgeous area!

No, you don't have to buy Myoplex Lite or any other protein powder to do BFL - but having a shake for at least one of your meals (in the beginning anyway!) makes it much easier to get accustomed to getting all six of your meals in. Besides, they aren't really expensive - if you shop around. GNC or the pro shop at your local gym are probably the MOST expensive places to purchase them! Right now I'm paying $1.16 per serving for Myo Lite. The trick is to buy the big 42-serving Chocolate/Vanilla/Strawberry variety pack at an Internet site like www.netrition.com or www.vitaglo.com that has terrific prices.

For that matter - you don't need to buy supplements to do BFL either. A lot of us here (I'm pretty sure) visit www.leanandstrong.com as well as 3FC, and know about Pam B - who started BFL in January 2000 at 244 pounds and 49% bodyfat. By August 2001, she had gone down to a size 4 at 144 pounds (5'6" tall BTW) with 4% bodyfat and has won at bodybuilding competitions....Anyway, she did not use any supplements during her first challenges, only a quality protein powder.

I really enjoy the taste of Myo Lite - blended with plenty of ice it is wonderful - also in the evening, I add a bit of sugarfree/fatfree pudding mix to it and use a little less water and ice, then let it chill in the refrigerator for about a half-hour or so before I eat it.

I think I've explained my BFL binder in the past but here goes - after my first Challenge was done in July, I made myself a binder with sections to keep my daily training logs, inspriational and informative articles off the Internet, etc. My binder currently includes a printout of the Hussman site along with the Q&A section, Pam B's Nutrition/Training/Inspriation document from the L&S training library, etc. etc. I took it along with me on my business trip last week. If you are trying to acheive a goal, I find it is really helpful to be constantly inspired by others and write down your goals and aspirations.

Whew! Time for breakfast - FREE DAY yippeee!! We are going to Mexican food for dinner tonight, I can't wait!!
Old 09-10-2001, 05:55 AM   #9  

After being really depressed about my weight and measurements, I had my daughter take my pictures. I compared them to the first ones. I CAN see a difference, even if my clothes don't fit any different. I was going to quit the program, but now I am going to continue on to my 2nd challenge next week, trying to up my cardio to burn some fat.

Taz-Good luck!! Try www.leanandstrong, too! You'll be amazed at the transformations. Keep posting your exercises with me over at Floozies! We'll have a great time! If you need anything, the people here are great!
Old 09-10-2001, 10:51 AM   #10  
TCW

Hello,

I am just starting BFL, today is my first day. I am looking for advice and would love to share with your group. Right now I am 5'2" 175 and 45% FAT. I have lost some from just eatting better and working out every once in a while but am ready to really work at it. Looking forward to hearing form you

Tina
Old 09-10-2001, 11:26 AM   #11  
Ready!!!

Looking forward to this new way of life. I think I will have a hard time eating that much protein. So I am off to buy the mixes.
Day one upper body exercise-gruesom!
I enjoyed reading this thread.
Dont Know what portion is body fat?
159 lbs. No one at home to take pictures,
oh well.
Shelly you better not Quit, you are what made me interisted. Working out of WW magz. my book is on the way.
All for now, Cathy
Old 09-10-2001, 06:25 PM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Hi Cathy!

Wow, more people from Canada! I just got back from Niagara-on-the-Lake myself. Great fruit and a gorgeous place!

BFL nutrition actually consists of 40% protein/40% carbs/20% fat. When I shop, I like to buy big tubs of cottage cheese and the big plastic bags of IQF (Individually Quick Frozen) boneless skinless chicken breasts. We also have fish once or twice a week for dinner.

For carbs - I love those Near East Creative Grain mixes, which have brown rice and bulgar wheat. They also make a happenin' Brown Rice Pilaf and Cous-Cous that hubby just LOVES. Right now I'm eating a lot of peaches since they're in season and I love them! MMmmm...

If you cant find anyone to take photos, do you have a BIG mirror? Try taking a snap of your reflection (sometimes this works). At the very least take ALL your measurements (calf/thigh/hips/waist/chest/bicep) before you begin. If you must weigh yourself, I strongly suggest weighing in the day before you start, then put the darn scale away for at least four weeks - and preferably for 12 weeks. The scale can really LIE to you on this program!!

I have a set of Accu-Measure calipers that are muy cheapo and work great - netrition.com will send you a free set if you order (I think) $75 or more in products from them. Good deal! If you get confused on how to use them, www.hussman.com/eas has some pointers.

Congrats and stay tuned here!!! Keep us posted!
Old 09-11-2001, 05:06 AM   #13  

Tina-Welcome! I hope your 1st day went well. Please keep us posted!

Taz-I have calipers, but can't seem to get them right. Give them a try! Mrs. J had a great idea about taking them in the mirror. I strongly suggest you take the pictures. Since I didn't see many changes on the measuring tape, I am sooo glad I had pictures to compare the 12 weeks! Good luck today on your cardio!

I haven't done any exercise for 2 days. I was going to jog yesterday, but we are totally flooded here in Ft Myers, Fl. The roads are all too wet to jog on around my house. I had to put water boots on to take the garbage down to the road! My free week eating for the 1st day was not good, either. I have been eating the carbs that I can't eat while on BFL. I am going to try today to be a bit better. I don't want to gain back any bodyfat that I might have lost!
Old 09-11-2001, 02:54 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Post Transfixed to the TV set today...

...I was finishing my cardio this morning (around 5:50 a.m.) when I happened to glance up at the TV and saw the Trade Center damaged...

...talking with some other gym rats about how incredible it was when we saw the other plane heading for the other Tower...

Anyway, went to work today and we were all sent home (except for critical personnel). Just horrifying to think of all those people in the planes and the Trade Center that were just living their own lives and having them snatched away.

I work in the home office complex of one of the most well-known financial companies, and we are close to the city of San Francisco, the airport, and right in Silicon Valley.

My brother-in-law had to fly to Baltimore a day or so ago because his mother just died - my sister is worried but trying to be strong for the kids...I'm just glad that Jim and I returned from Canada before this happened.

Anyway, I need to get my mind off that for awhile!!!

Shelley - read the Pam B quote about "Between Challenges" that I posted earlier on this thread. She's totally right about 'eating what you are craving' without going overboard. I hate to say that I did just that this past Sunday (Free Day) and paid the price yesterday - just felt sick to my stomach all day. My tummy was disdended and doing my LBWO I sweat MUCH more than usual and couldn't even do lying leg curls because it hurt so much to lie down - even the next morning my stomach was still full!

We went out for Mexican food on Sunday and I finished maybe 1/2 of my plate before I started feeling stuffed. (Jim brought the leftovers for lunch yesterday). In times past, I could have very easily polished off the whole combo platter - but I guess my stomach has shrunk!

Jim couldn't believe it. I told him that when my ex and I were married, a typical Friday night would be to order an extra-large combo pizza from Round Table and get a six-pack of Coke (not diet) and a half-gallon of Mocha Almond Fudge ice cream. We would each polish off half a pizza and a quart of ice cream that night while watching TV - and THAT's how I got to be 265!

And if you're still on your Free Week, don't worry too much about cardio - stay out of the gym - but I wouldn't necessarily lie around the house watching Ricki Lake (not saying that you do!). By all means get out and do something when weather permits, but don't go all-out. Even racehorses in training get to take it easy once in awhile!

Tazcat - regarding bodyfat measurement info - I just looked at my first post in this thread and I've quoted the Hussman site on BF measurement already! Good tips for measuring from the superiliac (just above the hipbone). Lean & Strong also has a BF calculator that you can utilize with just body measurements!

OH one more thing - I've updated my homepage - added a photocollage of my progress pix thus far. I am astounded at myself! If you need to see why I'm always going on and on about the importance of progress pix, look no further!
Old 09-11-2001, 05:48 PM   #15  

Mrs.J-WOWIE ZOWIE!!! You look awesome. Quite a bit has changed from the end of your last challenge!

I work at a school, and we tried to make it business as usual there, but many of the parents came to pick up their kids. My husband flew AA this morning to go to AZ., so I was quite a wreck most of the day until I found out that he was stuck on the runway in Dallas, and was finally able to rent a car to get to his destination (which will take about 12 hrs.)

Here I am again, 2nd day into my free week, and still no workout. What can I say?? I just feel like being a slug

Talk to you later!
Closed Thread