General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 11:29 PM   #16  

lots post on the sharing food diaries thread(lots of counters there!) in the buddu up forum, check it out
Old 12-07-2001, 09:32 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi all,
This thread is similar to one I started called Doin' it the old fashioned way.
Ladies, listen up! Some of you are way too low on your calorie intake-it should never be below 1200 or you risk losing muscle and slowing your metabolism.
Aphil
Old 12-07-2001, 10:26 AM   #18  
Are We Nearly There Yet?!

Hi everyone! Glad you brought this up...
I count calories, and have lost enough to be at a very healthy weight for my height, but I've messed around so much in the past year or so, with dropping very very low to lose some more weight, that now I gain almost immediately if I go much above 1350 a day! I would advise anyone to stay at the very top of their losing calorie range - it's not much fun HAVING to stick to 1200 a day! If you can lose on 2000, I envy you! But stick at it - it's a good healthy number... The calculations I have done say I need well over 2300 to maintain... yet I gain at 1400 - and believe me, no sugar/fat etc etc tweaking is necessary! Oh well... look after yourselves!
Old 12-07-2001, 11:25 AM   #19  

Becky,
What you need to do to speed your metabolism back up is to slowly add more calories-maybe only 25-50 a day more each month-get your body used to eating again.
Also, are you doing any strength training? Muscle also burns more calories than fat. It sounds like you put your body in starvation mode and lost a lot of muscle mass-doing a double as far as metabolic slowdown goes.
Let me know what your current excercise is and I will try to help you. I know a lot about it.
Take care,
Aphil
Also try drinking your 8 glasses of water with ice. The cold causes your body to burn calories to keep the body temperature regulated-it's not much, but any bit will help you it sounds like.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:45 AM   #20  

Hi Aphil - Thanks for your reply...
BTW, excuse my quick response, I'm not stalking this board, I just e-mail notifications on my PC at work
It's a bit complicated for me, as I work 8-12 hours a day in an events management job, so I'm pretty sedentary when I'm stuck at work. Also, I'm moving to Hungary in mid-January, where I will absolutely not be able to afford to use a gym or go to classes - stuff like that out there is really expensive, as it's all so new, fashionable and 'western'... I plan to take some tapes with me, but it will be at least 6 weeks before I'm settled somewhere where I might have a VCR... hmmmmmm... so looks like lots of walking for the meantime
That aside... at the moment I do 30-40mins - in one go 5xweek fast walking (mostly cos I'm late for the train to work )
Plus 3-5 approx 60min sessions of other aerobic activity - elliptical, stationary bike, swimming, step class, rowing etc etc (you get the picture)...
Any classes I go to also have an element of strength training in them, and if I'm at the gym, I work on my legs and arms...
It's hard because I leave for work at 08.00 and don't get back until at least 19.00, so I walk in the mornings, and do the extras in the evenings after dinner and after work...
I have definitely messed my metabolism up - I went down to 137, and held there for about 6 months, then all of a sudden, in a matter of weeks, I was 146 again, and it's stuck! I don't look too bad, and my clothes fit OK, but I have noticed the difference, and would like to be heading back down into the 130s again before I go to Hungary, where things will be much trickier.
I have thought about using a supplement such as chitosan, or chromium, but have always stayed away, as I don't want to mess any more than I have... what do you think? Also... and here's the hypocondirac (sp) in me (!)... underactive thyroid??? Just can't shift this - I'm 23, 5ft 6, fit, active every day of the week, with the diet (bar the odd splurge) from heaven...
BUT... I'm cold ALL THE TIME!!! It drives me nuts... I also have mild IBS triggered by too much wheat, dairy and sugar (although I don't have to cut these out at all), made better by peppermint oil caps...
I know I'm well within the healthy weight range for my height, and I wear a US size 7 on top, and a 8-9 on the bottom, so I suppose I shouldn't complain... but I was pleased with myself at 138Ib and would like to get back down there! Thanks for your help

Last edited by beckyfurn; 12-07-2001 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-07-2001, 12:01 PM   #21  

Beck,
Rather than concentrating on the numbers, use your clothing size as your guide. Your current weight is actually good for your height. Your body may be saying enough is enough.
You can stay at 146 and still get smaller if you continue working out. That is why 5 people can weigh the same and all look different weights.
Concentrate more on your workouts-continue the strength training-and definitely take your tapes with you, and a jump rope for aerobic activity-it's light and travels well. It is also great for your thighs!

Aphil
For instance my mother is a size 8-10 and weighs about 135, when I was 135 I wore a size 6-8 because I worked out a lot more and was more toned. Alas-those were the days! I'll be there again.....
Old 12-07-2001, 12:05 PM   #22  

A jump rope! I never thought of that - I could use it in the flat too (hope I don't break the light fixtures )
Thanks for your help - I know you're right... I think most of this with most of us is our inability to accept and be proud of who we are
Thanks again
Old 12-07-2001, 12:34 PM   #23  

hi becky,

its funny you mentioned thyroid b/c thats what came 2 mind when i read your other post b/c i mine is screwy, im going to the doc on the 20th.

ck out wilsonsthyroidsyndrome.com also. its diff from hypothyroid

also, i think chitosan is fine i use it.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:22 PM   #24  

HI, I CREATED A WEIGH IN THREAD 4 US CALORIE PEOPLE IN THIS FORUM SO PLS USE IT. THANKS.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:42 PM   #25  

Beck,
You may want to reconsider using chitosan since you suffer from IBS-it may worsen your attacks-not fun when you are in public. Chromium is decent-do not take anything that has ephedra or ma huang-Like Metabolife. It is not a safe supplement.
If you are eating healthy, chitosan doesn't do all that much anyway-it can be useful if you are planning to eat something bad, but with IBS I wouldn't risk it.
Aphil
Old 12-08-2001, 09:35 AM   #26  

Good Morning everyone!

I have been a calorie counter since February 5th of this year. To date I've lost 65 pounds and have about 6 pounds to go. I've been on every conceivable program, pill, and powder out there for the last 20 years. This is the first sane thing I've done to get healthy and it is working!
There was a very active thread on calorie counting when I first came to this board. I dropped off after another member said some rather unkind things about me. She mostly posts on another thread now, so I would really like to join you again if that is ok. I've really been struggling the last three weeks. My oldest son is home on leave for the first time in almost 2 years and we have been hitting all of his favorite eating establishments. Because of this errant eating, I've put on 3 pounds.
This Tuesday is his last day here. He will go back to Montana and then overseas again. Saying goodbye is soooooo difficult. We had our Christmas with him last night. This is a very emotional time for me so I'll really have to reign myself in as far as the eating is concerned. Well, I've gone on enough. I'll look forward to reading your posts. Have a great weekend!

Sincerely,
Ramona
Old 12-08-2001, 03:45 PM   #27  

Ramona/Bootwoman,
Hi,
I hope you will also post on my thread-Doin' it the old fashioned way-it is also for women calorie or weight watcher point counting and doing good old fashioned excercise.
We are a very supportive group.
I also wanted to get this thread going again-there are some nice girls here.
It seems it is a very emotional time for everyone-you can do this Ramona! Diet pills and gimmicks are not going to do this for us!
Aphil
Old 12-10-2001, 06:42 AM   #28  

Hi Everyone! Thanks for your replies - you're a really nice bunch of girls
Aphil - You've confirmed my reservations about chitosan... I'm not sure adding even MORE fibre would be a good idea
KD - That's what I was looking for... I don't want to sound like a 'wannabe sickie', but I know I've wrecked my metabolism... and I don't know anyone else who gets as cold as I do - doc's appointment coming up soon! Let me know how yours goes.
Ramona - I hope the people here aren't as awful to you as the group you found before Best of luck with everything - keep us posted!
See you later
Old 12-10-2001, 09:08 AM   #29  

I am happy to say that I weighed in this morning, and have lost another pound for 3 total!
Ramona-kudos to what Becky said about the thread you were on before-I hope we are more supportive to you.
Aphil
202/199/160
Old 12-12-2001, 08:49 PM   #30  

aphil,

congrats!

becky- thanx i will. u too
Closed Thread