General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:26 AM   #1  
Curvy Vixen

Default Counting calories, my problem

Hi all,
I've been counting calories and eating between 1500-1600 a day (I went to a dietician and that is the amount she told me to eat for now). By the end of the day when I near that amount, I feel like I've cheated. I feel as if I'm not on a plan and I'm not going to lose so I end up binging. I know this is a mind set and I'm sure this is because of all the low calorie diets I've been on, 1200 cal and lower. How do I get out of this? I'm keeping a journal and eating alot of fruits and veggies. But I see that 1600 a day and I'm like. .. oh you blew it.. and I'm eating junk and cake.. sigh..
PURPLEPANSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 09:10 AM   #2  

1600 might not even be ENOUGH, believe it or not. I'm still losing slowly at 1800-2000 a day and I'm at goal. :P That said, I lost 43 pounds eating no less than 1500-1600/day so I don't think that's too high for you.

Sides - according to your ticker you have 70 pounds to go. It's better to start a t the highest calorie level you can get away with (and still lose fat) - then you have somewhere to go if needed since the weight loss will eventually stop for most people on a constant calorie intake. The body is very smart and adjusts.
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/132/115

Height: 5'2.5

PurplePansy - I know what you mean, but we live and we learn, and less than 1200 although we've probably all tried it, is not the best way to go about it. It can slow down the metabolism and lead to binging. Stick with 1600 even though it may take a lilttle longer to lose weight.

Featherz - YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME!!! I want to up my calorie intake. My question is how long did it take you to lose weight and how much and often did you exercise?

Thanks a bunch
cyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 12:24 PM   #4  
Curvy Vixen

THANX for the insight everyone. I'll stick with the highter end of the calories and not think about the numbers. I see the dietician in 3 weeks. I'll keep everyone posted
PURPLEPANSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:34 AM   #5  
Om shanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLEPANSY
THANX for the insight everyone. I'll stick with the highter end of the calories and not think about the numbers. I see the dietician in 3 weeks. I'll keep everyone posted
As President Reagan would say, "Trust, but verify." Practically any approach is worth trying, but you're smart to keep close tabs on your progress with your dietician. I've found that, as often as not, eating more calories causes me to gain weight.

Typically, what you're eating matters as much as how much, as does what you're doing for exercise. It's the whole package that drives your progress one way or another.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote