General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Need some help. Insulin Resistant

I was just in the other forum for the topic of insulin resisitance on this site but am wondering if any of you ladies have been diagnosed with insulin resistance. I am on LA weight loss and may be insulin resistant. I am not having as much luck with LA this time around as I did when I did it two years ago so I was wondering if anyone else on here had this particular issue (insulin resistance or metabolic sysndrome) and managed to still eventually be successful on LA weight loss. Thanks in advance for you help!
cherrycolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #2  
2BorNot2B...its up 2 me

Hi
Im an insulin resistant type 2 diabetic. I have lost 49 lbs on this diet. I had recently struggled for the last few months but we recently discovered they moved me down a plan to fast. I have learned that I have to butt heads with them on the combining of protiens and starches ( they say a no no) but its a must for IR! I am on the downward trend again and hope to have more success now. Also I have fought with them they tried to tell me to eat all my starches and fruits before noon?! Hello diabetic here can't do that! LOL

Any other questions I would be happy to help you.

Beanie
mrsbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #3  

Thanks so much! I read a few of your other posts before today and actually it tipped me off to increase my plan as well so I went from Purple to red. The first time i went on LA i lost 7 pounds the first week and it just kept coming off from there. This time I only lost about 4.5 on Take off and then nothing since but htat has stayed off. Being that I am waiting for a call from the doc's office it just seemed to make sense to me that this may be the issue. I really want to stick to it because i have to admit I do feel better already in the sense of my fatigue having decreased A LOT but the scale, nope. Nothing there yet.
Beanie~ Do you use the bars (lites)? Are they ok for you to use?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #4  
2BorNot2B...its up 2 me

No I don't use the bars they gave me hives so they just gave me more food to start. I do sometimes by the lunas or power bars but I can't eat the whole bar at once....I spread it out like 1/2 every 2 hours eating a litte nibble here and there.

My dr. was very happy with this plan thinks it is awesome. Wanted to add that i have been able to decrease my meds and my over all blood levels are great! My ac1 was a 5.1 or 5.2! I take chromium supplement as recommended by the endocrinologist. It helps with the isulin resistance too!
Old 07-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #5  

That's very helpful! I don't want to give up but its hard not seeing those numbers drop especially when it worked so well for me the first time around. I'll stick it through as the physical relief I am feeling is helpful in and of itself.... Just waiting for the scale to miraculously start showing it. Its killing me!!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #6  
2BorNot2B...its up 2 me

I understand about the numbers. You might just be one of those people that you lose in spurts. Like nothing and then every 3 weeks or so a big loss. I would definately talk to your dr about your concerns. Have you heard of the book the Insulin resistance Diet. I am waiting for my copy to come I plan on incorperating the two plans to work together.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #7  

I have PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome) which is linked to insulin resistance and they recommend to eat the same way. I have been very successful on this plan. I always combine my starches w/ a protein - otherwise my blood sugar gets out of control. Remember that the COD counselors are not nutritionists or medical providers, they are sales people. What works for other people, is not recommended for us. Good luck!
stiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #8  

Yeah i hear you on that! I used the center my first time around and skipped it this time to be honest with you. I know I need more dairy (milk, not cheese) than the plan allows for sure. They are testing me for PCOS as well. I am waiting for the endo to get back to me but I am the impatient type and like to start things in advance. So here I am.....
Oddly enough Beanie I was at the book store reading that exact book this afternoon. I am waiting until I hear from my doc before buying it but the concept seems pretty simple and sensical.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #9  

I've got that book and it's very good
Old 07-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #10  
Katie

Height: 5'1

I am insulin resistant too. I do not do the bars due to IBS, but I doubt that I could handle the sugar in them either. I have done great on this plan. I think that being restricted on starches has been very good for me, to be honest.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #11  
2BorNot2B...its up 2 me

Stiesta - i didn't know you had PCOS....I have that too among my long list of things. Did you have trouble having your kids if thats not a too personal question.

Cherry- hope you get the answers you need soon! Hang in there I know this plan will work for you!

Hiya Katie!
Old 07-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #12  
Katie

Hey Beanie- Hows the fam?
Old 07-11-2006, 05:08 PM   #13  

Beanie, my trouble with having kids was that I have been totally irregular my entire life. Even on the pill, I can be irregular and go months without one or have 3 periods in a month. With my first two pregnancies, I was getting ready to start Clomid (to force my cycle so I could know when to try) and found out I was already PG. Literally in the doctor's office, prescriptions in hand, and they did a test just to make sure before I started the Clomid. Talk about shock. With my DD, I was actually on the pill and got PG (MAJOR shock), so in a sense you could say there was issues for me with trying to get pregnant, but I was fortunate enough to be able to (even when I didn't want to ). I know a lot of people with PCOS can really struggle trying to regulate cycles, etc. I think for me, we were already not preventing it w/ the first two kids and just got PG by dumb luck -- that was a blessing. We're done having kids now, but I take a really low-dose BC pill just to regulate my cycle. It's worked pretty good -- I think if I got some more weight off, I'm sure it would probably help with the PCOS. Strange how it's all related, huh?

Did you guys have any trouble getting PG?
Old 07-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #14  
2BorNot2B...its up 2 me

Katie - the family is okay. Same old same old. It is hard Im really trying to stay upbeat but kind of feel like Im gonna be doing this the rest of my life and feeling selfish about it. Thanks for asking.

Stiesta- My hubbin and I did nothing to prevent getting pregnant when we got married I new I had something wrong irregular periods etc but hey I come from a family of 9 kids I thought I would be okay. We tried for a couple years or more on our own. Started at an ob/gyn and went to an RE (reproductive endocrinologist) went on the provera to induce periods, chlomid, hcg shots, fsh shots, dexamethasone, having vaginal ultrasounds every other day, etc. and no luck. After the insurance and money ran dry got discouraged and kind of wallowed in my own pity party for a while and just put having kids back in the back of my mind. Recently I have started being regular on my period every 33 days and my dr is trying to get me to take chlomid again and buy the OPK kits. I am torn...I really really want kids but don't want to go down the crazy road I was on again...long long story...but Im leaving it up to a higher power now. I will not do anything to prevent a pregnancy and I might consider chlomid again but promise myself to let nature take its course. Sorry for the long story...thanks for sharing your story with me.

Beanie
Old 07-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #15  
Katie

You are not being selfish. In fact, the time and love that you are showing your parents is surely the opposite. I know that what it takes to take care of the elderly, and it is surely not just food, shelter and cleaning. There is so much medical stuff to take care of, you are probably halfway to being an RN. There is so much emotional stuff to deal with, you are probably more than halfway to being a counselor. Not to mention cabbie, personal shopper, seamstress, financial manager, entertainer, referee, and underdog. No, honey, you are not selfish, you are more like wonder woman. Ask for help as much as you can. You deserve to have your own life too, there is nothing wrong with that. Bigs hugs from one Idaho girl to another!