General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 11:45 PM   #16  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Staying away from the sweet stuff!

That was a problem with me too during my first challenge. Many people at my job are quite accustomed to keeping jars/bowls of different candy on their desks. I would say, well, they're only 10 calories, what harm is a Jolly Rancher going to do me. Except one would lead to another...and another.

For me, eating something sweet begins the rush to eat more and more sugary foods. Can't have just one. And the aftertaste of sugary foods, I really don't care for now.

So this Challenge, I've kept my hands out of the candy bowls since the beginning - nearly six weeks ago. I just slug down a lot of water during the day (I'm not drinking Diet Coke nearly as much either - don't keep it at home right now). At night, I treat myself to a Diet Snapple (Orange Carrot or Kiwi Strawberry) at Meal #5 (dinner with Jim). If you haven't tried those flavors, I highly recommend them - they are nice and sweet!

I also have fruit at two of my meals - Meal #2 and #4 - with cottage cheese. And of course Myo Lite shakes are sweet (without sugar!). Try making the Myoplex Power Pudding sometime, that REALLY helps with the sweet tooth!

What's REALLY working for me, though, is the thought of Free Day which is never more than a few days away. If you have thoughts of having something unauthorized on a non-Free Day, I urge you to WRITE IT DOWN - in your journal or whereever - what you want to eat so you can remember it on your Free Day.

I'm going to reiterate again what Pam B says about Free Day:
Quote:
FREE DAY
I totally used my free day for the first 3 challenges! A lot of people make the mistake of not using it and end up "cheating" on their diet during the week. I recommend that people USE IT and don't have any guilt about it! In the first few weeks, I LIVED for my free days!! I ate nachos, cookies, ice cream, pizza, burritos, etc... but I did not cheat during the week. It works, it really works!!!
I find that, unless I write down exactly WHAT I'm craving during the week, I tend to forget what it actually was that I was wanting a few days before when Free Day actually rolls around. And, again, as I've stated in the past, I really feel that writing your thoughts down (even a thought about food cravings) goes a long way towards keeping me from pigging out!

Of course, keeping the 'bad stuff' i.e. ice cream/cake/etc out of the house or immediate area ain't a bad idea either - out of sight, out of mind, right?

Once you cut out most of the high-sugar stuff, I guarantee you most of your cravings for it will go away after a little while - just stay away from it - except on Free Day of course...

Well, getting ready to turn in - g'night all!
Old 08-30-2001, 05:10 AM   #17  

Hunny-Free day takes care of the sugar cravings for me. I look forward to it, even though when it comes around I don't have too much sugar. Sugar is a bad word for me. If I have even just a tiny bit, it gets me reaching for the wrong foods! I even suggest having 1 free day to everyone I know that is on WW, Atkins, etc., because it is so great having that 1 day to look forward to having whatever you want!

I am having an 11th week slump. I know my cardio isn't up to snuff, and my eating has become sporatic. I don't know if it is the fact that I have changed my hours, or what. Is all I know is that I am not being as rigid as I have been at first. I have found myself reaching for SF popscicles at night, and not getting all my meals in during the day. I fell asleep last night right after dinner, so I only had 4 meals yesterday. I did drink 3 liters of water yesterday, though!

Mrs. J-Have you posted any new transformation pictures on your home page??? I need some new motivation!
Old 08-30-2001, 08:00 AM   #18  
GARDENING ADDICT

Shelley~~~WOW, you're in week 11 already! I'm so proud of you. You did it~you're in the home stretch. Don't give in now. I know you can do it.

I really think that for some of us (me included) the first challenge is REALLY a challenge to change eating and exercise habits. Before my first challenge, I wasn't exercising at all~let alone lifting weights, doing squats and cardio sessions. But C1 helped to build a wonderful foundation. Now that I've worked the kinks out and developed new habits, I am in a much better position to REALLY see some changes on the outside.

On my 48th B~Day (Feb.) I will be in the best shape and health that I have been in , in YEARS. BRING ON 2002!!
~~~Sil
Old 08-30-2001, 09:35 AM   #19  
Uber-Moderator!!

Smile Oh, what a beautiful morrrning...

Amazingly enough, I just seem to be in the **BEST** mood (for the most part) since starting BFL back in April!

On Saturday morning Jim and I take off for Toronto on business (for me anyway) and I probably won't have Internet access for a week. I'm really going to miss this board and L&S while I'm gone...but look forward to reading all the posts here when I return! I might be able to log in from our room but it's finding the TIME to do it...organizing and running these meetings are 12-hour days for the most part.

Shelley- Sometime before we go I'm going to have Jim take a couple of progress pix of me, and I'll post 'em on my home page and let you all know when they're up. OH and congrats on being in Week 11! Betcha you'll find that C2 is much easier to do now that it's a routine. Sil's right - C1 (IMO) is very much a 'learning phase' for BFL. You may want to start planning your meals the night before - not only what you're going to eat, but WHEN you're going to eat. The "Eating-for-LIFE" Daily Progress Report (which you can download from www.bodyforlife.com or photocopy from the book itself) is a great tool for planning your meals.

Body-wise, my thighs are starting to get that 'jiggly' soft fat that the experts at www.leanandstrong.com say is a sign of good things - the fat is getting softer and ready to leave the body. I've always had big thighs - and I think I always will - but I'll take big MUSCULAR thighs any day of the week over skinny flabby ones. When I start seeing quad definition, I'll be ready to fly over the moon!

On the chin-up front - I'm at the point now where I can hoist myself up to my chin on the bar and hang there for (I think) about 15 seconds but I can't yet lift and lower myself. My goal is to be able to do **5** chinups by Dec 31, 2001!

People at work are REALLY starting to take note of my progress and complement not only me, but Jim as well (we both work at the same place but in different departments). Jim is so proud of me - he brags on me all the time! I feel especially blessed to have such a wonderfully supportive husband (now, if he'd only do BFL with me...he is eating the same dinner as I do though!).

Susanje - I know that you're reading these even if you don't feel up to posting. Just want you to know that you're in my thoughts! Take care...
Old 08-30-2001, 11:30 AM   #20  

Hunnybunny, I wanted to take a minute to address your question about craving sweets. I thought MrsJim pretty much said it, but I wanted to put my $0.02 in as someone who is newer to BFL (am in the 6th week of my first challenge.)

My first week on the challenge was pure **** as far as the eating went because I so desparately missed all those yummy refined carbohydrates that I loved so well. But, I stayed strong and waited for my free day to eat anything not authorized. As each week went by, it got easier and easier. I think the only way for the eating part of this plan to get easier is for you to do it ALL THE WAY, not part of the way. Each time you pop a Jolly Rancher, even if it is just one, you are helping your body stay addicted to that type of food. My best advice to you is JUST DO IT. Yes, it is hard, but it gets easier. Yes, you will have weak moments, but when you do, remember you can have whatever you are craving on your Free Day. And remember first and foremost one of the points from the BFL book....DON'T BREAK PROMISES TO YOURSELF! That has become my mantra throughout this every time I felt like sleeping in instead of exercising or felt like throwing in an extra free day.

I still get cravings sometimes, but not as much as I used to. In particular, this week has been very difficult for me to stay on track with my eating. I think this is because I am on vacation and my day is not as structured as it is when I am going to work. I am proud to say that I have stayed with the eating plan even though there were times I really wanted to say "To heck with it, I am on vacation." Am I looking forward to my free day? You bet! Am I going to struggle for the next 3 days til it gets here? Undoubtedly. Am I going to do it anyway, even though it is hard? YES! Because I am not going to break any more promises to myself!

Stay strong, Hunnybunny, and save those Jolly Ranchers for Free Day!

Debbie
Old 08-30-2001, 10:01 PM   #21  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Okay, you gals asked for it!!!

I'm going to attempt to attach a pic that Jim just took of me like 10 minutes ago...

You'll see that I have quite a bit of 'jiggly fat' on my thighs still but the arms look real good! In retrospect, I suppose we should've gone outside in the back yard or somewhere with lots of natural light...but I still feel a bit weird going outside like this (even if it's our backyard - we share it with another couple).

I bought a chin-up bar to install in the doorway (only $17!) and Jim's going to install it tomorrow - then I'll be able to practice chins full time...and maybe take a photo of me doing chins to post?? Hmm...

I also got to try out the Power Blocks at the shop. I'm telling ya gals - I WANT SOME!!! But they're very expensive for the 125 pounders. I enjoy the gym but it would still be nice to have a set of dumbbells like PowerBlocks that don't take up much room at all. All I'd need is a bench and I'd be set!

Anyway...hope this works!

Last edited by MrsJim; 08-30-2001 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:23 AM   #22  

Mrs.J-You look great!! Thanks for your motivating words. I'll miss your posting for the week. Have a great time in Toronto! I would like to try powerblocks too, since my highest dumbbell is only 20 lbs.

Sil-Thanks for your motivating words, too. I'm still tinkering on the thought of quitting and going back to Cathe Friedrich tapes. I am going to do this until the end, though and then make my final decision during free week, since I can do some tapes over that week. Like I said before, my hubby sees a difference. My friend that tried BFL for a couple of weeks then quit, doesn't see a difference (but she is a skinny minny and thinks she is fat!!)

Hunny-How's it going??

Bye!
Old 08-31-2001, 09:07 AM   #23  
GARDENING ADDICT

MrsJim~~~Wow, you look great!! I have been following you along the way and I can see a difference from the C1, AFTER pics. You have great definition in your upper body. And LOOK you've got ab definition showing!!!!! Of coarse the thighs will be the last to go, as we have had our "thighs" for years. It's worked it's way down and now these are your "thigh times" and they will be firm and have definition in no time at all. Keep up the great job.

Shelley~~~I seem to remember that you took measurements before you started this challenge. Am I right? And did you take your body fat with calipers and write down your starting weight? Well, if you did, then do it all again at the end of this challenge and I will help you figure out how much bf % you lost, how much muscle you gained and fat lost. You may not be able to see it, because it's been gradual, but the numbers will tell the tale! And I have a feeling that you will be pleasantly surprised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, hang in there until the end. That will be an accomplishment in itself, that you can be proud of. You can email me you numbers and I'll figure it out. Then you can make your decision on what to do next while on free week.
BTW~there are several people over at L&S, on the Periodization Training board that are doing all different work out routeins, not just PT. You might gain some insight for next.

Debbie~~~Thanks for the wonderful motivational message . I was thinking about not going to the gym today because I have a zillion things to do (it would be my first ever missed LBWO). But you are so right! DON'T BREAK PROMISES TO YOURSELF! So, off I go
~~~Sil
Old 08-31-2001, 01:48 PM   #24  
Halloween Girl!

Talking Back from nearly dead -- and getting better!

Hi, everyone!

It's good to be back. I've had the worst month of my life and even though I couldn't exercise I ate clean!
In a nutshell, about a month ago I noticed that my ankles had disappeared. After this went on for a week, I got up one morning and my legs from the knees down and arms from the elbows down were throbbing like mad. My hands were so swollen I couldn't make a fist and my face looked like the moon!
A trip to the doctor (internist) began a round of tests from all angles. Over the next two weeks they "ruled out" the following, all of which run in my family: congestive heart failure, liver disease, kidney disease, ovarian cysts, and phlebitis (blood clots).
They couldn't find anything wrong at all except that my "bad" cholesterol is not good. Everything else is hale and hearty.
The only thing left was to try food allergies (duh! the doctor never asked me what I ate). In the last two weeks, we have determined that I am allergic to shellfish (I knew that) and oats and white potatoes and sugar. I had been eating oatmeal and potatoes every day for my carb, and had eaten them all my life. Only when my allergy medication was not used for the duration of the testing did this reaction surface. Evidently, the Zyrtec had been masking the symptoms. The swelling was caused by histamine overload.
And sugar? I've evidently "medicated" myself with sugar for years. My internist said I should have the energy of a hummingbird. As a result of all this mess, I ate clean and gained eight pounds of water
Gratefully the swelling is going down and my energy is returning. The best part? I've been released to return to my BFL program My doctor has always been very supportive of BFL and she is excited that I'm back on track.

On a more pleasant note: Mrs. Jim, you look fabulous! It's a far cry from that red polka dot dress on your website! I can tell you that you're one of the lucky ones who have small, petite tie-ins. When you finish your personal work, your proportions will be fabulous and your calves, thighs and arms will look more "cut" because your tie-ins are small. Ya got good genes!

Didn't mean to write a book. I am just so grateful to know that my health is returning and that I don't have anything life-threatening. Everyone's posts have meant so much inspiration for me, and the folks at Lean and Strong are wonderful, too.

Here's to success!

Claire
Old 08-31-2001, 09:59 PM   #25  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down See ya guys next week!! *Sniffle*

Well, it's almost 7 pm here and I haven't even started packing yet...just got in the door a few minutes ago.

So...gotta make this short n'sweet.

I highly doubt that I'll have Internet access while I'm in Canada (there's always hope though). Actually even if I DID have access I'm going to be very busy! I'm so glad Jim is going with me - it really gets lonely at night on these business trips when I go solo...

But you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be following BFL as closely as possible while I'm away - bringing my Myo Lite with me, as well as my BFL workout binder. The places we're staying have great fitness centers, thank goodness!

And thanks for all your kind words. I really appreciate them - keeps me motivated!

I look forward to catching up with everyone when I return from Niagara! Take care...
Old 09-01-2001, 04:22 AM   #26  
GARDENING ADDICT

Claire~~So happy to hear that you are doing better. Missed you while you were gone.Welcome back!!!
Old 09-01-2001, 09:48 AM   #27  

Serrano-Glad to have you back. Thank goodness it turned out to be allergies. Allergic to sugar!!! Now you have a good reason not to eat it!!

Sil-Unfortunatly, I could never figure out the caliper thing. I have them, but can't figure out the pinch thing. I've tried and tried. It's hard to tell if you're getting hold of fat along with skin or not. I do have pictures and I plan to take them again at the end of next week. My husband said again last night that he can tell a difference, that I am becoming more solid. I do take measurements every week and write them down. Thanks for trying to help me out!
Old 09-01-2001, 12:10 PM   #28  

Mrs Jim--you look so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have changed dramatically!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone! Hope you are having a good week.

I have gotten some preliminary tests back from the dr. I have a raging inner ear infection (and I take antibiotics daily for acne so they aren't sure what to do about that but I will probably go off the acne antibios and onto something else for a few weeks) that has been causing a lot of the vertigo and nausea but in addition I have low blood sugar, and NO hormones in my body. :-( They also want to do more tests involving fasting and not fasting (some test where you don't eat and have it tested and then do eat and have it tested) to check more into diabetes.

The dr. was very concerned about the hormonal imbalance and I'm on estrogen and testosterone. Apparently lack of testosterone will greatly impact your ability to lose fat and add muscle. So the dr. thinks that I will have a better time of losing fat and building muscle with the hormones(I hope so). However, I am off the wall hungry due to the testosterone.

The dr. thinks I will "balance out" in a few weeks and hopefully we can find something for the ear infection because I cannot do a lot in the way of UBWO or even cardio when I'm dizzy. Just getting through school these past 2 weeks have been a lot to handle.

Still plugging along.
Susan
Old 09-01-2001, 05:29 PM   #29  

Hi Everyone!

Mrs. Jim -- OH MY! WOW! Absolutely wonderful is how you look! You pics are incredibly motivating! Can you believe how strong you look?

Shelly -- 11 weeks is such a great accomplishment!! Congratulations!!!!

Sil -- You are looking fabulous -- Your 48th birthday is going to be one where you will be proud to have your pictures taken!!

Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions. I feel a bit guilty for not sticking with it completely. This week has been hard. I have gotten the workouts in and I think I know what 9 & 10's feel like. I worked out every morning for 5 days at 5:30am and today at 7:00am. That part feels is great!! I think switching to early mornings has been a good kick in the pants. I feel good through out the day and happy I did it!!

Food -- ummmm, not so good. I have been concentrating on getting all of my water in -- and THANKS FOR THE TIPS b/c I have been getting at least 12 in a day. Thursday I took in 140oz. I could of floated away that day! I had drank 32 oz b/f I got home from the gym. I just kept drinking. I wanted water. Wild. My cheap man's lemonade gives me a flavor and sweet. Thursday was also a good day b/c I stayed out of my candy jar. I dumped all my mints / jolly ranchers in the admin's candy jar. Everyone always takes her's so now she can have mine

I also, dumped tons of food out of my cabinets. I put the canned goods, the boxed cake mixes, frostings, pasta boxes, and so forth in a bag and told my husband to hide it. My oldest daughter will have a haul during her school's food drive this fall.

Last night I went to my girlfriend's for our monthly scrapbook party. I have a hard time letting anyone know I am on a BFL challenge. More on that later. I ate Pizza HotDish (Yes, hotdish --egg pasta with beef and tomato). I took less than 1 cup. That was the last time I ate. Total of 5 meals yesterday. So, took in my water, stayed away from sweets, but meal 5 and 6 were not BFL. It is aggravating. I always think that tomorrow is a new day. Tomorrow I will build on the good things of today and figure out how to stay away from the things that didn't work today.

I have a hard time telling anyone I am trying to lose weight / shape up. (I always tell my husband) I live in a land of food and big women. It is cold in North Dakota in the winter and we need that extra fat or something. I don't get it, but the most of the women are bigger here. I swear! Only one of my girlfriends I would list as skinny. She also will paint your house, take care of your kids, while singing the latest show tunes for you in record time. She eats, but also runs at 140 miles per hour. The rest of my girlfriends are out of shape (I am the only one who works out) and could stand to loose 25 lbs a piece. We are all the same. They did not like it last time I went on a diet and lost weight, b/c I wasn't with them every single get together. I couldn't! I cannot go to the happy hour every week and chow on the taco bar and drink sweet calorie filled drinks, go to every lunch, every dinner, every social outing b/c they always include lots of FOOD!

If I tell anyone I am trying to eat differently, I usually get the, 'don't worry -- just have a little'. What they don't get is I have a difficult time with a little. I take a portion, I eat it. Little or big. I eat. Don't get me wrong, this isn't Sarah's little pity party either. I know I like food. I also know that if I make a choice to do something I always must give my best effort to do it. This BFL challenge I am taking as a step to a refreshing my outlook on how I treat my body. The motivation of seeing others succeed and still live a life to me is incredibly inspiring. Shelly already completing her 11th week, let's me know that I too can be one of those people too. I know it wasn't easy to get there.
Lastly -- Debbie -- Thanks for your post. I was yelling inside, 'this woman knows me! this woman is just like me!' This week has been from ****. I do live under the 'Just Do SOMETHING' slogan and this week has been incredibly difficult. Your thoughts are things I have thought. Today I will not break my promise to myself.

Thanks you for reading!
Sarah

PS Anyone else have great pictures to show off?
Old 09-02-2001, 10:37 AM   #30  

Hi everyone!

I may not of been posting much lately but am certainly keeping up with everyone's success'.

Sarah: Sounds like you have alot of "temptations" around but good on on you for standing strong and sticking to BFL . In the end you will be feeling so much healthier and energetic and you won't be drawn to the types of food you have bee used to.

Susan: Good to hear from you. You sound like you have alot of obstacles in your way but your finally getting some answers and you'll soon be on your way to good health again! I gather then they have ruled out chronic fatigue? One of my girlfriends has chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia and has for years but is learning to cope with it. A few years ago she switched to eating 6 times a day, drinking tons of water and is only now slowly introducing exercise again. She's made alot of progress but I've seen how difficult it has been for her.

Shelly: I'm with you on the caliper thing. I have to do my 8 week measurements today and feel so fat today I found the calipers the most difficult. In my case the past two measurements I wasnt even on the scale. My measurements were more than the mm on the accumeasure so I've had to do some calculations to find out my BF%. I'm hoping to be on the scale today.

Mrs. Jim: Your pic is amazing. I constantly think of the progress you have made! I still cannot believe the progress made in your second challenge - amazing.

Well as for me, I am finishing up my 8th week and both my hubby and I are noticing we are hitting the wall. The energy is lagging, I feel as if I am overdosing on protein and difficulty downing the water. My weight workouts are great I have to say but the cardio is difficult but "do-able". I am so trying to remind myself that it has ONLY been 8 weeks but I look in the mirror and see little change. I will be taking 8 week progress pics tomorrow to boost myself. We will also resume the nightly next day meal planning which we stopped doing approx. 4 weeks ago. Planning is so key I know now! Well, these next four weeks I am renewing my goals and will put a 110% effort back as I KNOW this program works!

Has anybody else gone through this in the middle of the 12 weeks?

Michelle.
Closed Thread