General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 07:46 PM   #1  
Super Duper Member

Question Xenical

Just wondering who out there is using Xenical. I'm sure there must be a few! I'd love to hear how you're doing on it and what you think of it (and the expense).

I tried Meridia for a month, but it didn't seem to agree with me, so I just switched to Xenical on Friday. I've lost about 100 lbs so far with TOPS (Take off pounds sensibly) and exercise, but I still have a way to go and the past year has been a real struggle to lose so I thought it might help.

The $125 for the pills is a killer though! I sure hope they're worth it!

Vi
Old 07-16-2001, 10:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi VioletRose,

Congrats on your loss so far! That is awesome!

I'm not taking Xenical now, but I did take it for about 3-4 months last year. In that time I lost about 40 pounds. I had to really change my eating habits. It made me make lower fat choices & watch what I ate. If you are already eating low-fat (less than 30%) then Xenical may not help too much. It's more for those who ate too high in fat, to start cutting back so the side effects don't kick in. And, yes, the side effects that you are warned about do happen if you eat high fat meals.

There used to be a Xenical thread, but I don't know if it's around anymore.

Good luck & continued sucess!
Old 07-17-2001, 12:28 PM   #3  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Default NEW XENICAL USER

Hi There,

Sounds like both of you have been quite successful!

I have just started Xenical (day 2) after a very unpleasant encounter with my dr's scale!!

I suggested Xenical and my dr. was very enthusiastic about the plan. Yes it is costly but I have submitted this to my drug plan and I hope they will pay the usual 80%.

When I "registered" on the support line, I was told I could eat 1500 cals and 50 grams of fat daily. (Yesterday I was absolutely starving, but I believe this was due to "adjustment" to portion control). The 1500 daily cals is not a problem, but I am having trouble getting in the 50 fat grams (can you imagine that??) Have to use more butter or something?

I have also skipped the pills at breakfast both days as they were already very low fat, and if I do go out and eat a higher fat meal I will most definitely skip that pill as well to avoid any nasty side effects!!!

Anyone else out there on Xenical?

Frouf
Old 07-17-2001, 12:46 PM   #4  
Super Duper Member

Thumbs down

I've only been using the Xenical since Friday (July 13) so the success I had before was definitely from exercise and portion control. I joined TOPS in Oct of 1999 and I did great in the beginning, but of course, as time went on I got lax and started to yo-yo back and forth. Hopefully the Xenical will help me get back to losing.

I was skipping the Xenical at breakfast because I was eating just cereal and milk, but I find an hour later I'm STARVING when I only eat cereal -- so I've switched back to my old favorite of peanut butter and bananas on whole wheat. Of course peanut butter is high in fat though, so I have taken my Xenical with that the past 2 days and today I had one of those icky side effects I read about...YUCK. Maybe the peanut butter isn't such a good idea? Or maybe I'll just try using a teaspoon instead of the full serving.

Have you been to the XENICAL web site? They have a program that you can enroll in which includes menus for all the different calorie levels: http://www.xenicare.com (they had peanut butter on the menu too!) -- it's pretty good.

I'm not crazy about the gross side effects, but HEY I'm willing to give this a try for a little while and deal with it. I'm determined to take off the rest of my weight one way or another!
Old 07-17-2001, 03:15 PM   #5  
Card Carrying Princess

Good for you VioletRose..sounds like we're both "xenical virgins"! LOL

Both my breakfasts have been less than 5 grams of fat, so to take a pill to block 1/3 of that seems silly. I must say that this pm my tummy feels a bit crampy or am I just being overly sensitive??

I will try that website you suggested, however I did get some literature from the dr and the pharmacist with some meals on it. Did you phone a toll free number to "register"? I'm curious as I am in Canada and wondering if the support system is the same. They are sending me a binder with materials & recipes and the nurse/dietitians will call me at home to follow up, in fact it says you can call any time if you have questions.

Are you also on 1500 cals/50 fat grams? How about exercise? I have begun "moving" yet, but guess that the next thing on my agenda!

Frouf
Old 07-17-2001, 03:32 PM   #6  
Super Duper Member

I agree with you! No sense in blocking 5 grams of fat. I might have to go back to my Special K Berries breakfast and skip the Xenical in the morning too. It would be cheaper in the long run anyway!

It's possible you might be getting some cramping or bloating. Seeing as we just started, I would imagine that we need a little adjustment period. I feel a little "gassy" myself at times. I'm sure it will pass!

I've been doing exercise for a while now. I started with Richard Simmon's videos and then moved onto Tae Bo. I like the Tae Bo -- it's hard but I really modify it for what I can do. I feel good when I do it though! I also have an XL Glider (similiar to Tony Little's Gazelle) and an ab-doer so I try to vary my exercise. I slacked off for a while there and it really made a difference! Now I'm trying to get back to it. I'm aiming to start with at least a mile a day on the XL and alternate a little Tae Bo in there or Richard Simmon's new Tone & Sweat on Broadway (which I love!).

Drink lots of water too! It really helps.

I've been following a 2000 calorie diet by the way (which I need to be more careful about too). I used to keep track of my intake and that was something else I got lax about.

I joined the Xenical program on the internet so I'll let you know what they send me in the mail. My pharmacist didn't give me any literature, neither did my MD! Shame on them!!

Vi
Old 07-18-2001, 11:01 AM   #7  
Card Carrying Princess

I also joined on the "website" you recommended, but I will let you know what kind of stuff I get (may just be repeat of what's on the web). I printed out the Bull's eye food chart (in color no less) and put it on the front of my fridge so it is very visible.

Definitely a bit "gassier" than usual, but so far nothing terrible

I'm still having a problem with breakfast: today no time as I usually eat at work, so just had a banana and a coffee, since it's almost lunchtime now and I will take a pill after lunch (shrimp, rice, sauce, veggies!). Also yesterday I did not get to the 50 grams of fat...only about 38 with approx 1480 calories. At this rate I should be skinny by tomorrow???

I love Richard Simmons stuff and have some old tapes I should dig out....I will definitely look for that Broadway one you mentioned as I'm sure I would enjoy it too!

Keep up the good work and let me know how you're doing! (When do you go back to your dr for a follow up??? - I'm supposed to go back in a month.

Frouf
Old 07-18-2001, 12:18 PM   #8  
Super Duper Member

I weigh in weekly because I belong to TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly -- http://www.tops.org ) -- sometimes I need that weekly weigh in to keep me honest and TOPS is a good support group. It's totally non-profit so they don't push any of their own products and our meeting fees are $2 a week. I was insane enough last year to volunteer to run for leader. Leaders can do 2 year terms, so I just started my 2nd year. It's a nice group though. And all I do is prepare some notes for the meeting each week. Usually members volunteer to do programs from a book or we have discussions, so it's not bad.

My meeting is tonight, so I'll let you know how my weigh-in goes! I'm hoping to have lost at least a couple of pounds. Even though I only started the Xenical on Friday.

I had a big gain last Wednesday and I suspect some of it was water, so I'm pretty sure I've lost most of it by now. I tend to have HUGE fluctuations in water weight sometimes! I was also taking Meridia for a month and didn't do too well with it. It made me feel a little sick and I think when I got off it, I had a big gain. Which was odd considering I had lost almost nothing on it.

I'm doing so much better on the Xenical. I guess meridia wasn't for me. I was a little concerned going on it because I worry about stuff that "messes with your brain" -- but I was getting desperate. I've lost too much weight to stop now and I still have a lot to lose and I plan to get there one way or another!

As far as breakfast, I think the banana and coffee is better than nothing! When I didn't have time for breakfast, I used to keep "carnation instant breakfast" in the house and some mornings I would put that in the blender with the milk and a banana and drink it as breakfast. I enjoyed it!

Do you weigh in any place other than monthly at the doctor's? Personally I think weighing in monthly is so much better. Weight fluctuates a lot from week to week. That used to depress me, but now I try to look at the end of the month results instead!

Vi
Old 07-18-2001, 11:32 PM   #9  
Super Duper Member

Weighed in at TOPS tonight with a 5.75 lb loss...yaaay!

Like I said though, I'd had a big gain last week after stopping the meridia, so it could be a coincidence. I'll have to wait and see how it goes next week.

In the meantime, I'm back to exercising and that should help too!

Vi
Old 07-19-2001, 12:10 PM   #10  

Talking im a xeni newbie too!

I am so glad I found you guys!! I just started taking xenical on Monday (l6th?)...I usually skip it at breakfast too. It is so funny....xenicare put me on 2000 cal diet and I'm having a really hard time eating 1500 cal! And have the hardest time getting in the 67 grams of fat! But the way I figure it...This will just help me on my weight loss dream.

Ive dieted most of my adult life.....im hoping xenical will help me break out of the funk ive been in....but i know i will need to chat with someone who is in the same shoes....i have about 125 lbs to lose...im 41...and im sick and tired of being overweight!!!!

I am looking to add xeni users to my instant messenger so if u r willing, please add [email protected]....

Good luck to all

pabs
Old 07-19-2001, 12:28 PM   #11  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default Hi guys!

I've been on Xenical for just over a month. I'm still on my first prescription because I don't usually take it with breakfast either. I joined WW three days after I started taking the Xenical and think my results are more from that than the med because I already eat fairly low fat. I don't think I'm going to refill my Rx right away. My Ins. won't pay for it. I'm doing very well right now and have been OP for 38 days and have lost 11#. I did experience the cramping that has been mentioned, but it did go away after a few weeks. For awhile I was taking Prilosec because my stomach hurt so much, but that went away too. I had a few instances of the dreaded side effects, but if you watch your fat you won't have any problems. Good luck to all of you!

Gini
Old 07-19-2001, 03:08 PM   #12  
Super Duper Member

I wish I could say I have a hard time eating 2000, but that's never been my problem!
Old 07-19-2001, 08:28 PM   #13  
Card Carrying Princess

Default Welcome Pabs!

Looks like we both started on the same day...pretty cool. I can understand your dilemma regarding calories and fat grams....Today so far I've only hit 1300 of my 1500 calories and only 30 grams of fat....so I've got 200 calories and 20 fat grams left...sounds like a trip to the DQ is in order

We are very close in age...and similar as I have been dieting almost all of my life. I was on WW a while ago, but while it was working, my motivation kind of fizzled out. I am now hoping Xenical will give me that "jump start" that I need to get going.

My health is of course my main concern...as my genetic background is not great, and I'm trying to avoid eventual health problems.

VioletRose...I was also considering trying TOPS...I know there is a meeting around here on Wed evenings...right now I'm in class wed evening...and may be again in the fall...so I might try it out for the month of August.

I can also return to WW as I still have some of those "prepaid" classes left...but isn't that like cheating??? It would be hard to determine what is working better...besides at this point I'm definitely eating pretty low fat.

ALMOST FORGOT: I got all my "stuff" from the pharmaceutical company....IT'S JUST GREAT! I got a video and a binder with 10 sections with info in each, recipes, meal plans, tips along with a color food journal and calorie/fat counting book...big box...I'm pretty impressed (like I didn't pay for it right?).

Did you guys get anything like this in the U.S.?

As for monthly weigh in...okay I cheated and did already step on my bathroom scale, but my "offical" home weigh is next Monday morning...so I'll wait til then!

Good luck!

Froufie
Old 07-19-2001, 10:02 PM   #14  

I too have been on Xenical for over a month now. My insurance does pay for all of it. I find that it works by making me extremely cautious about the amount of fat that I eat. Have had a few unpleaseant experiences.

I am confused about the fact that most of you can eat so many calories and fat grams. I can eat 1600 but no more than 1800 calories and need to stay between 30-35 fat grams. Someone mentioned they could have 60+ fat grams. Wow---at that rate I would need to carry a ladies room with me.

It sounds like you all are doing well and that is the main thing. I am pleased with the Xenical but think it is because I am afraid to eat too much fat.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:49 PM   #15  
Super Duper Member

Talking

Froufy, I would definitely look into TOPS. Even if you decide instead to go back to WW, don't think of it as "cheating". As far as I'm concerned, no matter what methods you use to lose weight, we could all use the emotional support that you get in a place like TOPS or WW. I liked WW, but I really didn't need someone to tell me what to eat. After so many years of "dieting", I think we all know what we need to eat!

I needed emotional support (other than what I get at home) from people who are THERE struggling too and that's what I get at TOPS. I look at it as the "AA" for overweight people.

A lot of people have come to accept that being overweight should be treated like any other disease. So why not include medication, is my theory? I lost 90 lbs on my own, but I hit a point where I wasn't losing anymore and for my health, I really need to keep going, so I too am looking at the Xenical as a means to "get me going" again.

Even TOPS used to frown upon people using what they considered to be "artificial means" to losing weight and in January 2000, they changed their rules and acknowleged that "artificial means" (whether it be pills or surgery) are sometimes needed to treat obesity.

And no, I still haven't gotten any materials, but I only joined the program this week. I hope they move as fast for me as they did for you in sending the stuff!

Wasitme, I haven't had that fear of eating too much fat, but I think it's because I haven't been eating that much fat for a long time now. Or at least I think I haven't! I could be wrong though, because I am definitely dealing with the side effects! It's not "terrible" but I do hope it subsides or *I* might start lowering my fat intake too!

Can I ask what kind of plan the rest of you are following? Are you using some kind of pre-packaged foods that tell you exatly how many grams of fat you're consuming? I'm not really understanding why it's so hard to get in all your calories and all your fat grams. I eat pretty much anything, but I try to stick with lower fat versions of whatever I buy. My husband does all the cooking and he is Italian, loves to use his olive oil! He has cut back a little for me, but for the most part, my dinners are home made and pretty flavorful!

Even in the beginning, when I was losing a lot quicker, I never deprived myself, just tried to make better choices, use smaller portions and make small changes that I could live with for the rest of my life!

Are you keeping a food diary? There is a great one at www.dietwatch.com -- it calculates all the fat, calories, carbs, vitamins, etc., in the foods you eat. You'd be amazed sometimes at how much more you might be eating than you think! I thought I wasn't eating anything until I saw it all "laid out" for me! Now I know better!
Closed Thread