3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > General Diet Plans and Questions

General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Food Addiction by Kay Sheppard

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 11:18 PM   #1

Question Food Addiction by Kay Sheppard

Has anyone tried this approach? I just picked up the book, and have quickly skimmed it. She says that for *some* people, certain foods act as triggers; and those people are addicted to them, just like other addictions. She recommends eliminating sugar and flour from your diet (this is the 'in a nutshell version').

It sounds kind of extreme; but I must confess that lately I feel totally out of control with food. Just interested if anyone has tried this; and more importantly if anyone has had success with it.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2001, 02:35 PM   #2
A new Mom

Hi Ellen...

I can certainly tell you that cutting our wheat flour and sugar really does help me. I'm allergic to wheat but never thought it was really doing anything to me... After being off it for 3 weeks I had a set back and ate it last night... today I'm puffy, lethargic, and up 4# on the scale. I also slept horribly and have been craving it all morning.

As to the sugar, well since eliminating it (for the most part) my energy levels have remained pretty constant. I don't get that mid afternoon droop that I was getting previously.

hth

Lara

I have the soul of a gypsy dancer.... now I just have to find her body....

Old 07-16-2001, 08:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. As I read a little more about this particular program, I figured I couldn't follow it exactly, because she also says NO CAFFEINE ! I can't give up my coffee!!!

When I get "in a spin" the books that encourage you giving food up entirely look pretty attractive, but I don't know if I ever could do it. Cutting back some is probably better than nothing; and I think it would really help me to cut back on sugar, white flour and such.

Onward!
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.