Body For Life #11

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Check out webpages for info,links, pix etc.

Body for Life RULES!!!
  • Welcome to Thread ELEVEN,

We are on FIRE!!!

MrsJim: Congrats as you finish C1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a big big deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone is doing well!

I'm back on track. 2 days of intense training and clean eating.

This morning I did Tae Bo for my workout. I had moved the elliptical for when company came and couldn't find the extra cord to get it plugged in. I did the first set Advanced and I remember having a heart attack during BASIC but I did Advanced today and thought it was over way too quick. I haven't done this tape in quite a long time and I thought it used to kill me (it's still very intense but I wasn't groaning on the floor half way through). I made it all the way through without sitting one out.

Yesterday I had a KILLER LBWO and then did abs (they were BURNING) and I also did 10 minute of sprints that I talked about on the L&S board. I was limping out of the gym!!!!!!!!!! Eating clean, feeling GOOD.

Susan
    C2W3D1
  • Hi, BFLers!
    Thanks for the encouragement - I'm pleased that I'm hanging in there - and that I'm letting go of the "official" challenge - I'm still working at my first 12 weeks and even if some days my headaches keep me from doing a killer workout - at least I'm getting something in. It's definitely motivation to keep getting in for those allergy shots to get up to full strength as soon as possible!

I haven't seen much movement on the scale, but today a work friend who has been gone a week on vacation said she can really see a difference. So I think I'll measure this weekend to see if the inches are starting to add up (go down?)

I'm okay with not seeing the scale move (tho of course, it would be nice! ) because I notice other changes like getting on the treadmill for the first time in a year, and tho the workout was intense - I was able to do more than I used to when I was using the treadmill routinely. Kind of like what you experienced with the Tae Bo tape, Susan.

And tho the "pantsometer" is showing some small difference, I just KNOW I'm doing the right thing - I'm definitely building my BODY FOR LIFE Go TEAM!

Congrats Mrs. Jim!!! You've done a great thing - and look at all the terrific changes you've made! You go, girl!!!

Better get off the computer - got a terrific electric storm going...I'll check in with you tomorrow.
    Cris
  • Hello all!

I'm beat. But stickin' to it. Probably the most difficult things I find are the organizing, organizing, organizing for the next day and dinner time. I am eating well but probably too much I think. For eg. this evening I had a turkey burger (homemade - about 4.5oz), greens with 1 cup of bean salad (homemade too) and 1/2 of an avocado. Now the avocado was spur of the moment 'cause it was staring at me in the fridge and was never intended for my plate . My intention was for 1/2 the burger, greens and 1/2cup bean salad as the bean salad was totalling 40grms carbs at 1 cup. But it was really good! So these are the challenges I have to work on these next few days.

I'm so happy to see that everyone is doing well. Mrs. Jim, I cannot wait to see your pics and stats, it must be so exciting to have ended your first Challenge. What an accomplishment!

Well, gotta go organize! I have to say one thing, I look forward to the day that I am not lugging around so much body fat -- it will certainly make that dreaded cardio easier!

Michelle
  • Michelle,

Are you sure you're getting enough to eat??? The greens at dinner should be in addition to your carb. Are avocados authorized? (I don't eat them)

I don't think half a burger is sufficient. Make sure you're eating all your food!!!!!!!!!!

Just a thought.

Susan
  • Susan, I think first and foremost my problem on my work days is timing my meals and going to the gym in the evening and not wanting to eat until an hour after the gym. As a result i eat my 5th meal at 8pm --too late for me, but I am hungry so i think i am overeating. I have in my head that II should be eating 6 small meals a day and to me, I guess, a cup and 1/2 of salad greens, 1 cup bean salad (carb) and a 4.5oz turkey burger is too much for a small meal.

I forgot to thank you for the calculation for #gr.of protein. It worked out to 23grms protein a serving (about 3/4 cup cottage cheese in the end). So I've been figuring i should have this for each meal (approx. 20-25 grms protein) and then the equivalent in carbs. I try my best with the fist/palm measurement but am not used to eating so much food = which i do happily mind you. I havent been eating so healthy . I just want to lose that body fat and don't want to hinder that process.

gotta hit the hay. tommorrow is my first LBW - yippee 6am don't have to go to work!!

Michelle.
  • Michelle- You may want to post your menu for the day over at L&S to see if TJ can help you. She helped me. I found out that I wasn't eating enough protein for breakfast, among other things.
  • Good Morning
    How is everyone doing this morning?

I have been changing around my routine this week. I am doing dumbell squats and using a dumball to do some leg work on my calves, when I got finished with my work out last night my legs were shaking and walking was difficult. I definitely hit my high intensity level. I noticed while doing my minutes last week I need to run on the treadmill to hit my high points. I am feeling stronger everyday. What a great feeling!!!!! My hubby says he can really tell a difference. I brought my BFL book to work to share with some other ladies, they seemed excited about starting. I ran into a lady I have seen for about 6 weeks, she asked me how much weight I had lost. However weight isn't everything, but I did thank her and try to explain what I am doing.

When I started five weeks ago my 18's from Lane Bryant were very tight, but I didn't want to buy 20's. So now my 18's feel good and seem be to be almost loose. Yeah!

labmom, MichelleP, ShelleyM keep up the good work.

MrsJim I will be looking for those pictures on L&S.

Susanje - C2 girl you are kicking.

Susan- blastit
  • Michelle,

You can eat right after weight training. It is suggested that you wait an hour after cardio but it is not set in stone. I eat an hour before weight training (something light) and immediately after (a shake) and then an hour again after that.

If I were you I would definitely figure out what you need for protein and carb a day and then weigh and measure that for a while until you get it right. I had to do that because I was eating too little. Unless you're a child, your palm should hold a whole burger not a half.

Also your greens 2x a day are in addition to your carbs so you don't "count" them like you do with the regular carbs.

Eating enough is very important to build muscle which burns fat. If you don't eat enough your body starts to feed off your new muscle and then fat burning slows down...so eating enough is definitely a big key to your success on BFL.

I had to weigh and measure for a few weeks until I really figured it out. Then my fat loss seemed to speed up when I increased my food to the right levels.

I think that posting a menu here or on L&S is a good idea.
    Susan
  • Susan,

I love those LBWOs! They are my favorite. I like dumbbell squats myself. I have better form than with barbells. Even the smith machine tends to not work as well as the dumbbells. I have been doing power presses on the leg press. Last week I broke my plateau of 270. I only went to 310 but still I broke through that 270. I thought I was going to die on the last few reps but I did it!!!!!!!!!! I stayed on that dopey press until I could raise the weight. I monopolize the leg press when I'm on it but no one is ever waiting for it. I think I was on it for a half hour on Tuesday.
    I do each set 3 ways (toes straight, toes out, toes in) and then 3 sets on the calf press thingy on the leg press (3 different positions for calves as well). So 12x3, 10x3, etc...when I got to 6 and I was only at 270 I was so ticked and I added weight in 10 lb increments until I almost couldn't lift the press (I couldn't lift it it at 320 so I scaled back to 310.) Sometimes I can convince myself I'm at a 10 when I'm really not. So 40 more pounds would really be a loss if I had stopped at 270. Now I can start higher since I broke through on my 6's. I worry with this amount of sets that I'll fatigue before I get to do my drop set/high point but it worked out.

Susan
  • Hey!

I'm on my second week of a BFL challenge, and loving it. The meals are easy, the exercise is great and my outlook is better than it has been in years.

I've been lurking for several weeks, and have visited several websites you recommended. They are awesome and so are all of you.

It will probably take me four challenges to get where I need to be. I have done resistance training on and off for years and prefer free weights. I also stayed really fat so no one could see my progress

But this program is great and I'm happy to commit to it as a lifestyle change. I plan to enter an official challenge at some point, but I want to really get the program ingrained as a way of life first.

Keep up the good work! You all inspired me!

Serrano
    275 43% BF started 7/02/01
  • ~~~~~~
    Serrano - sounds like you are really excited and that's great!!! I too may join a challenge after it gets to be my way of life. So glad you are posting with us. This board is wealth of information along with the L&S board. Pam B is my hero!

I will probably need three to four challenges to get to where I want to be too. I started at 219 I am 5'9". I am down six pounds and five inches over all. I didn't meausre both legs and both arms - probably a mistake.

Susan - Blastit
  • Welcome Serrano!

I too just started officially on Monday and these ladies on this thread continually offer amazing support -- they are a wealth of information.

Susan, thanks for the advice on the eating after wt. training, I hadnt thought of that. I will also post a daily eg. of what I eat on the L&S boards later this evening.

I will try to not stress out and realize that these first couple of weeks are a learning process, I will be successful (a little self - talk happen' here )

Will chat some more later!

Michelle.

P.S. what is a smith machine? I've heard such positive things about it.
  • Welcome Serrano! You will love it here at BFL! Your name is very familiar. Were you ever at the Slimdown board?

Had a hard time this morning jogging. I had to walk and jog. It seems soooo much harder now! I don't know why.

Mrs. Jim-Can't wait to see the pictures!! Enjoy your time at Yosemite!

SJ- I used to love the leg press back about 6 years ago when I could go to the gym. You're doing fantastic!

Blastit-I wonder what happens when we reach our goals?? Even if it takes 3 or 4 challenges, sooner or later I would think that there has to be a maintenance to all of this.

Labmom-Good for you on the pants-ometer! Mine haven't shown anything!

Sil-How's it going???

Sean- Are you still around??
  • ~~~~~~
    ShelleyM - good point about maintance. I guess I haven't thought that far a head, but it wouldn't hurt to know where do we go from here? From reading the book it sounds like this is maintance too. Bill Phillips says this is a way a life for him, so I am assumming that he eats this way everyday (exept free day) and continues to exercise as such. I think so many times I have thought once I get the weight off that's it, relax and get fat again. I know now that what I do today I will have to do everyday for the rest of my life - make sense?

Perhaps we should ask this question on L&S.

Susan - Blastit