General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 02:38 PM   #31  

Default I'm no hero...

Thanks Amy, but I'm no hero! And I hate doing laundry as much as I hate doing dishes every blessed day and night, or shopping for groceries,...or excercise. (I'm pretty sure I was born to be a thin beautiful princess, but there was a terrible mistake made somewhere along the line. But That's ok. I'm a beautiful princess on the inside.)
I DO love to sit and watch the Discovery Channel, or Home and Garden TV, but don't have the time. And what better opportunity than when folding clothes? I forget all about it being laundry day, and then it's all about a little much needed quality time with my tv.
It's all in how you look at it. And that's what works for me. Now if I could just find a way to look at the excercise thing. I know what you mean about excercise. I haven't found any excercise I actually enjoy. So, I walked for quite a while, with no results. Then the uncle had his stroke. So there went my free time. Even if I could find a way to make the time to do it now, I'm not sure I would. (I keep telling myself I would, but I think I'm lying to me.) Unless I found something that I truly enjoyed...which hasn't happend yet.
You keep forging ahead with your battle. Little by little, if we stay focused (which isn't easy) and determined, (which is harder still) we will get there. Don't give up. Don't give in. Show all the skeptics, and yourself, and the world around you, your inner strength. (Even if you don't have determination, or inner strength, pretend you do. Eventually it will become a habit, and you'll have some for real.) Inch by inch, we'll get there. You'll see. Inch by inch.
Old 07-23-2001, 04:41 PM   #32  

debdub you have your hands full. Sounds like the lay off was a blessing in disguise. It is wonderful that you are taking care of your uncle. He is very lucky.....so many people would not spend that much time with their own parents.

There is a super post on this diet thread "Doing it the old fashioned way" written by aphil who I chat with online. She mentions exercise, exercise exercise plus she has some super insights. Anyway, I know it is tough, I too work full time and in the fall, winter, spring work one additional night a week. I am always "on the run". My favorite saying is "With all the running that I do I should be 100 lbs". Anyway I have come to realize that it is the exercise than can make or break a long term weight loss effort. I sat in group for three weeks listening to the leader talk about exercise and thought "I don't have the time to exercise." Think what finally got me was a woman in our group who worked full time, was on oxygen and she had started to do the treadmill every night. So I began and it was slow and I still don't have the time but I do it whether I get home at 6, 8, or 10. Do I enjoy it? NO. But I do get a sense of satisfation afterwards that feels so good. I make it easy on myself (for the present) by using Richard Simmon's tapes so they are right at home. Hopefully you will find something that you like to do---good luck and keep us informed.

Elle, don't go thinking that you will need a tummy tuck. First of all, I am old so my skin does not have the resiliancy of someone that is in their 20s, 30s. Also, and this is from doctor who may be a crazy, but because I put on 100 lbs in about three years he says that the loose skin will not tighten as much as it would if I had put the weight on gradually. Actually this makes no sense to me but that was his answer when I asked. I am drooping all over right now and it is very attractive. People wonder why I am wearing long sleeves in the summer. lol. I am sure you will do just fine.

Amy perhaps you and I can find one doc and get a two for one special. We can also donate our skin.

Take care everyone-----we are all together in this.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:45 AM   #33  

I'm not an expert on skin, and I plan to ask my doctor, but I'm guessing that since I've been grossly overweight for the past 20 years, then I have stretched it beyond its limits. I have massive stretch marks on my stomach and so I figure I'm doomed. Plus, I am losing at an average of 3 lbs. a week so that may be too fast but I have so much to lose I don't want to take 5 years to do it.
Old 07-24-2001, 06:24 PM   #34  

Talking Meridia

Hello everyone, I have been posting on the 100 lb. club site, but I saw this one about the meridia users and I wanted to tell you my story. I started taking the meridia last June and to this date I have lost 20 lbs. I do not have a problem with side effects, and I feel just fine. The meridia curbs my appetite so I can make good choices about what I eat. I am also on a food combining program ( www.healthnbeauty.com ). This site will help you choose the right foods to eat for good health as well as losing weight. When I reach my goal I will have established a good way of eating for the rest of my life. Some of you may want to check it out. Also I wanted to ask if all of you have checked to see if you may have a thyroid problem. This can hinder weight loss also. You can find out by doing this... Every morning for about three days, check your temperature with a thermometer before rising,lie still without moving around and keep it in your mouth about 5 minutes. Keep a record of your temp. If it is 97.2 or lower for that time period, you need to take a natural thyroid supplement. You can order them at that web site I mentioned earlier for $16.50 for 90 tablets. I hope my input has helped some of you, God Bless and keep up the good work.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:56 PM   #35  
Uber-Moderator!!

Post Hmmm....

The reference to 'thyroid' caught my eye here...

I went to the website you referred to above and they are claiming that a whopping 40% of women suffer from thyroid problems. Sorry, but that is not what the medical literature says. Hypothyroidism (the condition that causes weight gain, among other symptoms) affects about 1% of American adults, and maybe 10% among the elderly.

And taking your temperature is not a surefire way of finding out if you have a thyroid problem. The only way to tell for sure is to be examined by a doctor - including a blood test...

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...ntent#symptoms

Here's another interesting article:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...opics/fad.html

Jenny-O - Is there any way you can get your money back for those thyroid pills? As you will see from the two articles above, they don't work...if you really DO have a thyroid problem (very rare) your doctor would have to prescribe hormones...
Closed Thread