General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 10:30 PM   #1  

has anyone tryed the skinny pill or the supplements individually
Old 06-08-2001, 07:25 PM   #2  

My order of the Skinny Pill came in todays mail. I am starting on it tomorrow. I have purchased the book and find that I cannot adhere to a program like hers. I am however doing low carbs. Shirley
Old 06-08-2001, 08:16 PM   #3  

what is here eatting program like that you can;t do it. i am waiting to get her book on ebay because of the cost of it.
Old 06-08-2001, 08:25 PM   #4  

Default skinny pill?

I was just wondering if Skinny Pill was actually the name of a program or what? I have only seen a couple of posts on here but don't really know what it is. Is it only in certain areas of the US?
Old 06-08-2001, 09:33 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Red face Just checked the Skinny Pill website

I'm shaking my head in disbelief and laughing because as usual, it's your basic snake oil.

There is NOTHING - NOTHING - in this pill that: 1) you can't get somewhere cheaper for less; and 2) really proven to be effective in weight-loss.

Here's a link about CHITOSAN from the Quackwatch website. http://www.quackwatch.com/04Consumer.../chitosan.html

The Skinny Pill lauds Chitosan as a "fat sponge, absorbing over 4 times its weight in dietary fat". Okay, let's say that's true. Each pill is supposed to have 250 mg of that wonderful fat absorber in it. Let's say it does absorb four times it's weight in dietary fat (that's dietary fat, not body fat). 1 serving (tablespoon) of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" has TEN GRAMS of fat in it. That means that 1/10th of the fat in a tablespoon of butter is theoretically going to be absorbed by the Chitosan. Do you really suppose that is going to make much of a difference in the scale?

Okay, let's move on to Chromium Picolinate. If you check my previous posts, you'll know that the few studies "showing" that chromium may cause you to "reduc(e) body fat without traditional dieting or exercise" were done by Nutrition 21, the company that holds the patent on Chromium. As of 1997, there were at LEAST five studies (and undoubtedly more by now) finding no impact on fat loss or muscle gain from chromium supplements. There is some research showing that chromium might benefit people with diabetes. I like what Michael Fumento says in "Fat of the Land": "But if you think it's going to make you lose weight, you're just tinkling away your money" (referring to the fact that your body expels the excess through urination). If you must purchase chromium, though, go to Trader Joe's; they sell chromium supplements at $3.99 for 100 tablets.

Okay, now on to Citrimax/HCA. I'm going to let Mr. Fumento talk here:

Quote:
Another widely sold diet supplement is something called hydroxycitrate, or hydroxycitric acid, or HCA for short. Since it's got such a long, scientific-sounding name and it comes all the way from India, naturally you figure it has to be effective. There is a bit of evidence that it may help rats slim up. That's a blessing if you know the heartbreak of having an overweight pet rat. But there appears to be nothing in the medical literature to indicate HCA causes human weight loss. Apparently it's sort of like a dieter's urban legend. People think it works because it's sold; it's sold because people think it works.
L-Carnitine won't hurt you - it's an amino acid - but how much it really effects weight loss is unproven. L-Carnitine is found in protein foods anyway, any excess you take is going to be flushed down the toilet just like chromium.

What is it I'm saying here??? Could it be that this is another diet SCAM? In my opinion yes.

She calls herself a nutritionist, but where are her credentials? Where is the Ph.D, the M.S, the M.D., the R.N. that should be after the last name of anyone who claims to be one??? Apparently she was fat once, and lost weight - and she's profiting off of this. I also noticed that she doesn't offer a refund if you aren't satisfied with her products. BS! If you ordered with a Visa card, and aren't satisfied, do a chargeback...

Reading her website and her food plan, apparently she feels that if we stuff ourselves with food containing fiber in the morning, you can eat whatever you want and with the assistance of that wonderful "skinny pill" all that food will just slide right through your intestines without turning to fat. Yeah right. I'm not discounting fiber at all - we all need it - but the bottom line is - if you consume more calories than you burn off - the leftover calories will be stored by your body as fat. Period.

The author is definitely following Fumento's "formula to write a weight-loss bestseller":

*Be fat.
*Lose weight.
*Pretend that having lost the fat you are now an expert in this area.
*Come up with a gimmick that distinguishes your book slightly from previous diet books.
*Intersperse a bunch of ancedotes from formerly fat people cured by your formula. Slap a slew of recipes or a fat counter guide onto the back so your 15,000-word article now has the heft of at least a 75,000-word book.
*Keep the weight off long enough for the book tour and the appearances on the Good Morning America and Today shows.
*And - most important - don't forget to offer your readers something for nothing.

I think this is a good place to end my dissertation...
Old 06-09-2001, 01:55 PM   #6  

Smile

MrsJim, I actually agree with you. But like most dieters, I fall into traps and this was just another one of them. I have a 3 month supply of these pills, and will take them....JUST IN CASE. I do know some things about my body, I do not respond well to carbs. If I keep them to the lowest amount without going crazy, I will lose weight. I do feel better when I take chromium pic., but only if it is the tri-chromolene brand. I don't know why. I have been overweight most of my married life.....between babies and stress eating etc. Actually many times my weight was normal, but I had this fat head, and it was when the Dr gave out uppers
and we stayed up all nite cleaning house. That was many years ago. My highest weight was 250. That was in 1998. Since that time I no longer gain and gain and gain. But I lose very slowly. I know my metabolism is so screwed up...it may never be normal.

I am in my early 60s and retired. I can find time to take better care of myself. I do water aerobics 5 times a week. I have lost 27 pounds since 1998. At this rate I will be at my goal just before I am carried away.
Old 06-14-2001, 04:06 PM   #7  

Default anyone still though

Is anyone stilling doing this? I just ordered the book just to read it ( i got it for 10.99). well i am still taking the supplements( individually though) and it is working for me. and i am not getting the effects like i was on the other diet pills.
Old 06-15-2001, 12:51 PM   #8  

hi,

i just want to say that i use some of the supplements that make up the skinny pill. i use all but citrus aurantium& HCA. i buy them individually, b/c her doses of each are too low for weight loss. you need 1500mg carnitine& 1200mcg chromium. i replaced the CA &the HCA with cayenne capsules. i am doing this in combo with a lquid protein diet& am down 6 pounds since sunday. i also use chitosan, but i use it on an as needed basis, which mostly is 1-2 capsules daily.
Closed Thread