Prevention Millennium Diet #61

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
    veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
    whole grains, 3-6 servings
    high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
    Beans - 5+
    Nuts - 5
    Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
    1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
    1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
    1 c. raw green leaves
    3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
    1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
    1/2 rice or bulgar
    1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
    1 c ff yogurt
    1 c calcium fortified O.J.
    1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
    100% DV multivitamin/mineral
    500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
    100-400 IU Vit. E
    100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.

http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.
  • Focusing
    on getting ready for my wilderness river trip. I am so excited. I will leave my house around 6 on Sat. morning and drive to meet my companions for the weekend at 10. We are paddling 23 miles down the Buffalo National River in the lower Wilderness area. I have to carry everything for two days on the river and an overnight camp. I have all my stuff laid out, am cooking and freezing food. Black beans, rice, eggs, quesadilla stuff, and backpacker bars.

I got invited to go sailing last night on the same lake I sometimes kayak on, it was such fun and such a different experience. Kayaking is intimate, sailing is about sound and wind and currents in a whole different way.

So, I am playing hard. Food is catch as catch can for the moment. When I get back Monday I plan to fall into a more routine schedule.
  • i need to re-focus
    Ledom, have FUN! It sounds like you are well prepared food wise too. Getting the kayak was SUCH a GOOD thing wasn't it? How is your D. emjoying summer?

Alice, nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear about the puppy's problem, I hope she is fine now. My guys are at the groomer's today. Marley's coat is magnificent, it is so long and thick. Parasha's is cut short, she hates being groomed now. I think it is because she has so many arthiritic aches and pains so it is easier on her this way.

Hi Mrs Yogi! Is the hubby home? Mine is going to Atlanta tomorrow and I am staying home. I am going to try to re-focus on dieting.

Shebacat are you out there?? How is it going.

Tonight I am making sun dried tomato/alfredo baked ziti with a layer of cheese and spinach. Yum!

I have given up snacks, it is easier than tryng to control snacking but now I think my portions are too big at meal time. I have stayed the same weight for two weeks.
  • Hi ladies,

Sounds like everyone is doing great! I'm sorry it's been a while since I've been able to post. The internet service I was using at home was provided by a friend of mine when I was working for her from home. She switched internet companies, and I got cut out. She apologized because she did not realize I was still on, but I needed to get my own. So now I'll be shopping for an IP. Ledom, your trip sounds fantastic. The scenery in Arkansas is beautiful. A friend of mine in Minnisota will be going on a wilderness canoe trip up through Canada....and yes I am envious. Judi, I thought about taking my cat to the groomer, but I just feel too guilty. So instead, I'm going to give her a bath tomorrow. When I took her to the vet's a few weeks ago, she mentioned that her coat was in a little better shape. She asked if I was doing most of her grooming (which I am). I mentioned that I was going to giver her a bath when it warms up (I've been saying that for the past 2-3 months). She asked me how much warmer did it have to get? So....guess I was using that excuse too much. Alice, hope your baby is feeling better. It's seems a little odd that a mosquito bite could get infected. As far as dieting goes....what dieting? I'm going to give myself this weekend as far as sweets, and then I'm going cold turkey for the rest of the summer. I need to take advantage of the fresh veggies and fruits in the summer. Judi, I'll take some of your leftover ziti though. It sounds wonderful. Take care.....I'll be posting more often once I get an IP. Talk to ya'll later.
  • ziti
    Shebacat, it was nice to read your post! When I was at the groomers with my dogs there was a cat there waiting to be washed. One of the dogs (Marely) just loves being groomed, he stretches his legs out long (they are short fat things) and lays on his back but you have to be careful not to pull any knots or he will whack your hand with his teeth just to let you know you could have been bit IF he wanted too "So Be Careful with that comb!"

I found a bunch of ziti recipes on the internet, I just typed in "ziti recipes" and I got a lot. I am making it so much of it I bought a nice "Emile Henri" baking pan to cook and serve it in ( a little more classy than my pyrex baking pan). It is the light blue one. Was tempted to eat the leftovers but I gave it too the dogs instead.

Hubby is in Atlanta for the week so I am on my own. Food wise was pretty good today and for exercise I shopped all afternoon. So that is going to count as walking. Such nice weather here.

Hope you all are having a good weekend.
  • monday
    Goodmorning!

Ledom, how was your wilderness trip? You have to tell us about it. I bet a trip like that burnt calories!

Marley and I went for a walk around the lake. It took us only 45 min. It is glorious weather here and I figured we both had been having TOOO many naps lately.

My friend came over for breakfast before she went to church so I fixed us an elegant ladies type breakfast (WW too) with good dishes, flowers and candles. She is doing so well on her diet. What is the key that makes some people able to stick completely with a plan and others not??? I know it is not just a matter of will power because I have done things long after everyone around me had quit, so I have will power. I have also analyzed past dysfunctions etc. enough to gotten over that. Just wondering what the "key" could be. Any ideas??

Shebacat, have you got that kitty washed yet? I know the few times I have bathed a cat it is something I would not be looking forward to do anytime soon.

Morning Alice! Mrs. Yogi!

I am going to go into Vancouver and have a pedicure today, so I guess I had better get going and catch the ferry.
  • Hey Miss judi, shebacat and the rest of the gang
    Well it is good to be back home, but my trip was wonderful. Yes, I think I still feel my body burning calories. An interesting part of the trip, which really was a trip of physical endurance, was the food that worked in that situation. I took the protein lectures to heart and it really gave me the fuel to put out energy. Hummus is my kayak standby lunch, it works well. Beans and brown rice for supper. I made it at home, froze it and then just heated it at the end of the day. (No room for ice and ice chests in a kayak!) Breakfast was a boiled egg and a piece of sausage, cooked at home beforehand. More hummus for lnch the second day. A couple of clif bars and a delightful backpackers bar I made from scratch, had two cups of whole almonds in it rounded out my diet. And lots of water to drink.

The river is miraculous. We paddled 23 miles through mtns.with gorgeous bluffs, no population, just lots of wildlife, we didn't even see any other paddlers for the first day and only a handful the second day. There were long pools that required lots of paddling and rapids (small but a big thrill to me). It was about 90 and clear as a bell both days. Thank god for sunscreen and hats!

Human dynamics turned out to be a big plus. My kayak has not only taken me to beautiful places, but it has also introduced me to some very nice people. I was the tag-along guest of a family I met through posting on a Canoe Club board in my state. I met the couple at my first outing with this group of posters. They brought along their 6 yr. old triplets and 14 year old daughter for this trip. Those 6 yr. olds were amazing, as was the whole family, just a real treat to be included on that trip!

So now it is back to real life. I am airing out all my damp/sandy gear this morning. I will have to content myself with a some early morning or late evening paddles until summer passes. I also need to start turning my thoughts to getting ready to go back to school in August. If I spend some time on it now, it will be easier then.

Thanks for asking about D judi. She is good though I'm worried because she is working very hard without any time off. Something is wrong with this picture. A new video store is opening in our neighborhood and she really wants a permanent job there. For the last 10 days she has worked up to 9 hrs a day without a day off and often with only 30 minutes for lunch. I understand that they are trying to get this place opened up, but they are taking advantage of my kid. I can't convince her to tell them she needs a day off. It is not exactly a situation where I can go give her boss my opinion on the matter. I guess it is part of learning how to deal in the workplace and may be good experience in learning how to set limits for herself. In my opinion the job may not be worth they way they treat her, she thinks it will get better. I am sceptical but trying not to interfere too much.

Well, this is a tome today, missed you guys. Shebacat, my little Bea kitty loves the water and plays in it when she has a chance. Even she doesn't enjoy baths.

Oh yeah judi, why can some people stick to diets and others can't? Now isn't that the million dollar questions? I do think a lot of people that stick to diets religiously, don't do it well and end up failing in the end because they can't keep up with deprivation forever. I do think slow loss is better. Since Jan. 2000 I have maintained a loss of about 30 lbs. I'd like to lose at least 60 more and would have hoped I could have done that by now. But you know, I am happy with where I am. I have amazing arms, shoulders, and back from my kayaking (amazing to me anyway) though I am large I have NO qualms about wearing sleeveless tops. My legs and abs leave a lot to be desired, but they are strong, well my legs are anyway. And, the food I eat is healthy so I am not so worried about all of this as I used to be.
  • ledom
    Wow! The kayak trip sounds amazing!! Can you bring a camera along or is there no time for that when you are paddling? I envy your arms I have no strength in mine at all and I NEVER wear anything sleeveless. Yes, is a wonderful thing to be strong. If I had a chance to pick between thin and strong. I would pick strong for sure. Alas, I am neither...I know it is my fault...mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Hey, but I walked to day on my newly massaged and pedicured feet (I can't stop admiring them) and food was all right. So I am encouraged!

You sound like you did some very good planning with the food you took along too.

You should come and spend a week with me. The kayakers here paddle around Howe Sound (which I think is a fjord) it is beautiful anyway we have taken a motor boat up it. We would go to the BIG island and have lunch with Mrs. Yogi in beautiful Oak Bay. We would show you where to get pappadums. That would be fun.

Don't worry too much about your D (such a "MOM") they are pretty resilient and she no doubt is really impressing her boss. I know how you feel though. You should give yourself a pat on the back, you taught her to be a hard worker.

Sheesh! Marley is disturbing the tranquility of the hill...I have to get him in.
  • Hey,
    judi I bet we would have a ton of fun. I am beginning to think pappadums aren't available down south. Do you see them in the stores shebacat?

Sigh, today I was very very bad with food. Don't want to go into details, it was hopeless. I did get up and hike early because it is hot now.

I have been taking my camera with me on my trips. As a matter of fact I shoot more film now than I have a long time from my boat. Today I developed amade proof sheets. I am sorry that I didn't take lots more pictures on the river. There was one spectacular rock bluff that was ear the end of the trip. I was so stupid not to take my camera out then.

Tomorrow I am hiring a friend to come help me clean my garage. It is hopeless and I am hopeless at getting it organized. It will be a busy day.

Ready to get serious with PMD, it works for me when I work it. Time to journal and count calories and fat grams, EVERY DAY!
  • Hi!

I bet you have some great shots Ledom, that is good. Good luck on your garage cleaning. When things get overwhelming work wise...hire someone...that is my advice. It really is the best money spent, then you can begin again fresh. If I don't get out to my flower garden and doing some weeding tomorrow I will have to take my own advice.

I had an o.k. day, I felt motivated because I had a pedicure...isn't that dumb, but today I thought I am far from perfect but I am going to be the best I can be in the mean time. It made me feel motivated to exercise and eat right. Sometimes we just need a little thing to get us going again.

The weather is just wonderful here. The yard smells so FRAGRANT! I just love summer.

DH is still in Atlanta until Friday. I am having my D. and her BF over for dinner on Thursday night. That will be nice.

How are you other gals doing?
  • I'm Back
    Hi everyone

Been off the screen since last week due to a bout of strep throat ***YUCK*** Both DH and I are on a ten day run of penicillin. I don't know which is worse, the bug or the cure. I was feeling pretty low for a couple of weeks before that, so haven't done any exercise in almost a month! But lost 2 lbs. somehow. Must be all the sleeping.

I've done nothing but work and sleep and read if I'm awake and not working. What a life, eh?

It sucks.

DH going to L.A. for the weekend, so am planning on flopping on my chaise with a cold (non-alcoholic) drink and a good book and some good Zone snacks. (Not to go on and on, but Judi I think you would like the Zone, no deprivation and easy to stick with once you get the hang of it. )

Ledom, good going on the trip! Foodwise it sounds like you did really well, and the scenery sounds spectacular. I can't wait to get out and about again, but it may be another week at least because this bug is really tenacious...

Y'all can come visit anytime. Get that power boat and cruise to the marina, I'm only three blocks away... no excuse not to start kayaking or sailing, I love sailing but there's really not much exercise in it!

I'd actually rather go horseback riding but I'm terrified of getting thrown and winding up permanently injured. Unless you have a horse of your own that you know and love it's a bit dicey.

I'm going to get to work now, boss is back, must try and get some filing done!
  • Hello everyone!
    It has been very hot and muggy here these past few days. My type of weather! Sometime tonight it is supposed to cool down. Recently DH & I ate at this great little bread/bakery cafe. We had the most delicious salad. I made it at home and it was just as good as what we had the other day. You put Romain lettuce on a plate, cut up some fresh strawberries, put them on the lettuce along with blueberries, canned mandarin oranges, canned pineapple chunks, and a little bit of chopped pecans. Then you put Fat Free Poppyseed Salad Dressing over it. It is very filling.
    I thought I would start walking again last Mon. Well, coming home I was lost in thought, wasn't watching where I was going, I hit an uneven patch on the road, my ankle went one way, and down I went I was able to pick myself up and hobble on home. My knee is swollen and I've been putting ice packs on it. It is better than it was.

Ledom~ Your trip sounds fantastic. I bet your photos are breathtaking. How is the garage cleaning?

Judi~ The ziti sounds delicious. I love ziti and any other pasta that is out there I am glad that your doggies are doing ok.

Shebacat~ My baby is feeling a lot better. All the bumps have dried up. I too found it strange that the infection could stem from a mosquito bite, because it wasn't long after she came home from the Vets that they all appeared. He did say that they could come back and that we have to watch her closely. I really think it was something other than a mosquito bite.

Mrs. Yogi~ I hope that you are feeling better. Having strep throat is very painful.

I hope everyone is having a good week diet wise. Take care. Alice
  • last day of spring
    Hi all!

Maybe I will read more about the Zone, I have the Zone books (2 I think) my DH's bro. sent them awhile ago. Sorry to hear about the strep throat Mrs. Yogi. What would be some good Zone snacks?

Alice, sorry to hear about your fall. That is terrible! How is the puppy doing? My D and her BF are on a list at the breeders to get a Boston Terrier. She is so excited. The dog choosing process has been going on awhile, the pick was between Lhasa Apsos, Dachshunds, English Bulldog, French Bulldog and Boston Terrier. They did a lot of looking on the internet and in books about those breeds and decided they wanted a Boston Terrier. I can't wait. I have already offered to doggie sit if they want to go away and can't take the dog. It whetted my appetite to get either an English Bulldog or a Borzoi. I know there is quite a diff. between the two breeds but they are dogs I would love to have. DH says too wait a bit. Well, as you can see I believe there is no such thing as too many dogs (or pairs of shoes or china or books or ....)

Alice: The lunch you described sounded great. A nice summertime thing. I have been having a lot of fruit lately. Cherries, blueberries, strawberries and the like. I made blueberry freezer jam tonight. All this fruit is up from the US. The blueberries were from Texas.

Tomorrow my D and her BF are coming over for dinner. The DH is still in Atlanta and coming home on Friday.

How did the garage cleaning go Ledom? Are you still at it?

Didn't get nearly enough accomplished today, I wanted to do so much more than I did. It was pretty warm and muggy here today. I can't stand heat.

Have a good first official day of summer on Thursday! Yahoo!!!
  • Goodmorning everyone,
    Alice, sorry to hear about your fall. That seems so unfair when you are just getting back to your exercise routine and you injure yourself. Hopefully it will heal quickly. Sorry to ar you are under the weather too Mrs. Yogi. Severle I know have been having summer cold/flu, running a temp.,etc. Somehow I think it is harder to deal with in the summer when it is hot.

D has worked 14 hr. days the last two days. The store is supposed to open tomorrow so hopefull this insanity is about to stop.

Garage cleaning is not fun, we got about 1/2 way through it yesterday, will finish up tomorrow with help though now that I'm started I think I'll work on it some by myself today. It is a hot and dirty job that I will be happy when it is finished.

Somehow I have fallen out of my good routines this week. I think the weekend was such a calorie burner I felt like I didn't need to be so careful for a few days. That is wrong thinking though. Trying today to get back into the groove.

Well not much of noteworthy news on this end. My mother did just bring me green beans, peppers, cucumbers, squash, and garlic from her garden.
  • First day of summer!
    It may be the first day of summer, but it feels just like spring! It is cool and damp. My knee is feeling much better, I am keeping off it as much as possible. I am able to get up and down the stairs normally now, and hopefully by next Mon. I can start walking again to get some of this weight off! I just can't find the motivation to diet. I am taking a 2nd & 3rd look at Dr. Shapiro's Picture Perfect Weight Loss book. I got his supermarket guide book that lists the brand names of his lower calorie foods he recommends you to eat. Last night for supper we tried Boca Burgers, they were actually good!

Judi~ Your D and BF are going to love their Boston Terrier. DH & I have always had Boston Terriers. They are such loveable dogs. Please let me know when they get their dog. After we had Shamrock put to sleep, I was not interested in getting another dog. I was searching the internet for breeders for sometime "down the road". It was by accident that I found a female puppy for sale in a neighboring state. We contacted the breeder, made an appt. and instantly fell in love with Lacee. All the signs pointed that we should have her. I think English Bulldogs are adorable. I absolutely love them. I really am not familiar with a Borozi. What do they look like? I agree with you, one cannot have too many dogs.

Ledom~ Garage cleaning is not fun. When we had to clean out my Dad's place we had a deadline so it had to get done, otherwise we would probably still be cleaning his place out at our leisure. Have you finished the cleaning yet?

Hi Mrs. Yogi!

Take care. Alice