Prevention Millennium Diet #60

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
    veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
    whole grains, 3-6 servings
    high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
    Beans - 5+
    Nuts - 5
    Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
    1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
    1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
    1 c. raw green leaves
    3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
    1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
    1/2 rice or bulgar
    1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
    1 c ff yogurt
    1 c calcium fortified O.J.
    1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
    100% DV multivitamin/mineral
    500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
    100-400 IU Vit. E
    100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.

http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.
  • Hi
    More changes! I'm glad they returned the easy access to other forums at the bottom of the page.

How is everyone? Sorry you are still suffering with your allergies Mrs. Yogi. I'm good, I had a good Sunday. I traveled about 300 miles roundtrip to spend several hours kayaking on the Buffalo River. Very beautiful, I met some nice people that I will probably go out with again. The only thing, I ate way too much. Today I have been very repentent and tried to make up for it. Did my Firm Tough Tape again, it is the hardest! D is going to hike with me tomorrow.
  • checking in...
    Hi Girls!

Your kayak trip sounds great Ledom. Today when I was taking the ferry into Vancouver I saw about 6 kayaks bobbing out in Howe Sound and I thought of you.

DH and I met in town tonight to eat at a Japanese restaurant. We rarely eat out when we are at home because we have so many meals out when we travel. It was nice to do something out of the normal routine...on a Monday too.

Today I walked and weeded for exercise. Things were o.k. food wise. I went to a big Chinese shopping mall and bought all kinds of things on the weekend. Meals are going to be fun to prepare this week. I am going to go more often.

Sorry to hear you have what sounds like "allergies" Mrs. Yogi. And isn't it the way...the appetite is LAST thing to go! I think the only time I don't think about eating is when I am asleep

Hey, Lana where are you? Ledom, is Bannod gone? Hi Alice and Shebacat!
  • On the Mend, I think
    Hi Judi, Ledom, my glands are not as swollen today, so that's a good sign! Still coughing and sniffling a bit, but the energy is returning. I'm taking an interest in my surroundings again ha ha, good lord, must vacuum and dust in my room! Yikes.

Ledom, we have a new next door neighbour and the first thing that went into the garage was a beautiful sea kayak, so I'm taking that as a sign that I will get to know this woman and maybe get motivated! Can't wait to get back to normal.

DH birthday week continues with homemade fish and chips, choclit cake and ice cream omigod. We will get thru this! ha ha

Judi, which Japanese place do you go to? We used to eat at Koko on E. Hastings owned by the original Koji who opened the first sushi bar in town way back when. If you ever get the chance, it's worth the trip to go there and try the monster Koko maki. To die for! He also makes a great California roll and fabulous sashimi. Don't be intimidated by the bikers if they're there. They like to go there en masse, but they behave themselves because they don't want to get cut off!

The other place we like is Kappa at 24th and Cambie. He makes great dynamite rolls and some of the best yakisoba I've ever had.

I'm salivating just thinking about it all.
  • Mrs. Yogi, we always go to Kichi Sushi on Robson (next to Chapters and across from Eatons). We can eat only a few things there because we don't eat fish or meat. Our favourite is deep fried (ever so lightly) teriyaki tofu...heavenlycrispy golden puff balls exquisitely painted with just the right amount of Teriyaki sauce. It is served with vegetables, rice and a miso soup. We always split a Kirin beer as well (the big one).

The place that I shop for Chinese food is at Yoahan Centre in Richmond. I also go to Chinatown but it is difficult to park so if I just want to shop and not spend the afternoon browsing I go to Richmond.

Glad to hear you are starting to feel better.
  • Goodmorning
    judi and Mrs. Yogi, I love both your kayaking stories. I am planning to kayak/camp for the next 2 weekends. Next weekend I am hoping to rent a kayak for D and we will be camping with some other families.

Exercise is going great, food is pretty ok too. I haven't weighed in a little while but I plan to by the end of the week. Sunday's out of control eating made more sense when TOM showed up yesterday, slipped up on me this month.

D and I are going to big city later today. My photograph is now hanging in the Art Museum there and, though I went to the opening last week, I need to go look at the rest of the show without the distraction of crowds of people.

Pretty much rocking along. D and I hiked 4 mountainous miles yesterday a.m. I am going to do Tough Tape in just a jif. I tell you one thing, I sure don't lose weight like I did when I was younger. Seems I have to diet just to maintain anymore. Frustrating!
  • Kewl
    Judi, those tofu balls sound good. I'll have to check it out. Have you ever gone to Shogun for noodle soup? They make the very best. It's down near the waterfront next to Vancity.

It's got a shabby decor but the food is amazing.

Ledom, have you tried the low carb route? I lost dramatically with exercise and cutting back or eliminating the starches (the Zone thang - shouldn't really be hanging on this thread but you guys are so nice!). It really works for me.

(Once I get back to exercise ha ha). Still low energy here. Frustrating.

Those hikes sound great, and what a cool accomplishment to have your photo in a gallery! When do we get to see a web page hmm?
  • Evenin' gals!

I will check out the noodle place Mrs. Yogi. I love Udon.

Your photograph is in an art museum Ledom! Way to GOOOO!!!

You certainly are right about the weight not coming off as fast as when one was younger. Even if I do good eating days and no exercise all I do is maintain my 3X weight.

Here in BC we have to renew our drivers license every 5 years. I almost felt like quitting driving when I realized my weight was going to be on it...fortunately it is in Kg. so it doesn't look as bad. I got my license in the mail today and I look like a fat felon.

I HAVE to move the ironing off the treadmill and get walking!
  • Tell me more
    about your low carb experience. I know I tend to those carbs and always eat the maximum allowed even when following PMD strictly. I think you are right. I am going to try to cut them way back and make sure to eat only whole grains. I guess I don't have the patience to investigate The Zone Diet fully, but if you don't mind giving me a synopsis I'd love it.

Ah judi, I'm not even sure exercise guarantees a drop on the scale. It does make one feel better though. I know that I do have good muscle tone even though it is covered w/ fluff. Just 3 weeks of taking exercise seriously again has given me strength and some visible toning, though I think it is only visible to me.

Hey, I just made an appointment to get my hair layered, very spur of the moment thing. I hope it isn't a mistake! My appt. is in a couple of hours.
  • Munyana
    Hey Ledom

Will check in tomorrow and give you the lowdown. Gotta run - Stanley Cup beckons... this is going to be a good one! *smashbashcrunch*

Judi, you will looooove Shogun. Just don't go near the place at lunchtime. It's chock full of suits!
  • Zone Lowdown
    Ledom, here's the scoop…

Protein: thickness and size of your palm (each meal), 1/3 of that for each snack
    fish; meat; soy products.; egg whites (I don't follow him on the egg thing, I think yolks have tons of nutrients in them and I eat them in moderation).

Good Fats: olives and olive oil/raw nuts and nut butters (without added sugar)/low fat cheeses (not processed); avocadoes (yayyy, guacamole is a Good Thing, just skip the chips!)

Carbohydrates: there is a glycemic index that rates the different types of carbohydrates as good or bad.

Examples of bad (avoid completely if you want to burn fat, use in extreme moderation if you are maintaining your desired weight) are: sugar of all types; wheat products (including most breakfast cereals - SLOW COOKED OATMEAL is OK; corn; beets; carrots; rice (omigod, there goes the carrot sticks and rice cake routine everyone has been using for "weight loss"); potatoes; pastas; breads (it doesn't matter if it's whole grain or white, it's all turns into the same amount of sugar in your bloodstream and gets stored as - tadaaa - fat.)

If you have bread it has to be whole grain unprocessed (peasant style) rye bread, not the fluffy light rye breads that have sugar and wheat flour mixed in. Eliminate baked goods like bagels, muffins, cookies, cakes, etc. Wheat tortillas in moderation are OK, as long as you have them wrapped around your home cooked beans, meats, veggies and lowfat cheese.

Good carbs are unprocessed beans you cook yourself, most non-starchy veggies, and the low glycemic fruits.

Three meals a day and two snacks are mandatory. Eat within an hour of waking. Have a snack between lunch and dinner and another just before bed so you don't go to sleep hungry. In a nutshell, eat something every four or five hours (except when you're sleeping of course…).

Meals and snacks should contain protein, fat and carbohydrates together, in the prescribed amounts. You can eat tons of steamed veggies and enormous salads with olive oil dressings. Certain fruits are good: grapefruit; pineapple (and juice); unsweetened berries; pears. AVOID bananas, papayas, mangoes, watermelon (it's loaded with sugar) and grapes if you want to burn fat. Reintroduce the sugary ones in extreme moderation if you're really craving some once you hit your goal weight.

Avoid most fruit juices - it's best to give your stomach all the fibre and stuff to work on - the more it has to work on the food, the slower will be the release of the sugars into your bloodstream - juice is too much of a hit all at once. I stick with tinned pineapple and pears w/ fresh or frozen berries without added sugar.

A typical snack:

3 olives/3 raw almonds and a few spoonfuls of fruit
    4 oz wine w/ 1 oz of lowfat cheese (cheese counts as a protein and a fat)
    1 oz lowfat cheese w/ the almonds and fruit

(I love these snacks!)

I stopped using honey in my coffee (that was the toughest one for me!) and sugar in tea (stopped drinking tea altogether, I stick with unsweetened herb teas). Cut out the morning banana (I still have a very small bowl of really good quality organic breakfast cereal in the morning, without the honey or the banana and just a sprinkling of almonds or sunflower seeds and some milk). I also cut wayyy back on my rice consumption (tough b/c we love Indian food!) and use potatoes as a condiment (I buy the baby ones and will steam one or two to add to a stirfry if I really want some). I eliminated pasta altogether - it doesn't do it for me anymore). I substituted pappadums for corn chips and tacos to go with the guacamole and now eat a lot of hummus which you already know is good J

I cut way back on the beer and switched to organic red wine instead. It's better for me and after you've been low carb for a couple of weeks the sugar in the alcohol goes straight to your head and you only need about 8 oz. to do the trick!

This really works for me. I went from 179 to 166 in about six weeks (with plenty of exercise, mind you…). I'm hoping to go another 15 lbs once I get back in the saddle here. However, I've lost many inches and my clothes are falling off me, so it's not all about weight, it's about shape as well. I've converted quite a bit of fat to muscle and hope to keep it up for the rest of my life.

If you want glycemic indexes, I'm sure you can find them at the library or on the web somewhere. Hope this helps.
  • Mrs. Yogi
    thanks for taking the time to answer my request for details. I think it might help me shake things up to incorporate some of the details of this diet. Weighed this a.m. and am down 3 lbs. for the month. Pretty pitiful, but I'll take it. My long term goal is so huge that I can't even think about it, but I have another immediate goal of 25 lbs. That is all I am going to think about for now. On the protein, does that palm size go for beans too, and eggs? I have carbs EVERY morning for breakfast, be it muffins, bagels, or cereal. Think I'll try scrambled eggs and fruit for a while. Now can I have rye bread toast with that? Pappadums are elusive for me, still haven't located that product. Hiked this a.m. and saw a rare bird for my area, a Summer Tanager, D was with me. As a matter of fact she has turned into a hiker, insists that I wake her up so she can go, very unlike her summertime behavior. Kayaking tomorrow at daybreak, this weeks camping trip didn't pan out, but next week still looks like a go.
  • Palm size
    I think beans are sort of a protein/carb combo, so I imagine the palm size would be ok. Eggs and beans together are a great combination. (But not baked beans from the can - they have quite a lot of sugar in them.)

I eat a lot of beans in one form or another, and I understand that pinto beans have more carbs than the black. The main thing is to cut out the breads and other starches for awhile and see how you do, and don't cut out fat. The good fats are essential for fooling the brain into sending out the "I'm full now" signal that makes you stop eating beyond what you need.

Eggs and fruit are great for breakfast, but you need a little of the good fat in there too, so put some peanut butter ( Jam is for weekends ) on that single slice of rye toast or some olives in the eggs. You don't want to eat eggs every day, so do the fruit and the rye toast, and have it with some milk or cheese for the protein portion if you don't want meat or eggs.

I allow myself to indulge (as opposed to "over" indulging he he) in small amounts of sweets and extra starch on weekends and statutory holidays. Now technically the weekend for me starts at around suppertime on Fridays, so this can be problematical because it means three nights out of seven you're indulging yourself.

So you pick one or two days of the week and just enjoy a little bit of chocolate / alcohol / bread/ rice / pasta/ whatever. I usually have different weekend breakfasts just for some variety.

That's the beauty of the program, it's not that strict. And after a couple of weeks you stop craving sugar and starch and can be satisfied to eat just a little bit. It really works. Good luck and keep us posted on the Zone thread!
  • Whoa
    We slipped way down to the bottom of the page. How is everyone? I am at work, couldn't log on from home this a.m. Is this true for everyone or just for me? Anyway, was out of town over the weekend. I am going to be out of town next weekend too. Will be kayaking about a 20 mile stretch down the river and camping in a wilderness forest overnight. I'm really excited.

Mrs. Yogi, the zone is so opposed to my eating style and preferences. I'm not much of a protein person. But, I think there are valuable lessons for me to consider and I hope to incorporate some of them into PMD. Weekend brought many temptations my way. Seemed able to get back with it pretty quickly though and exercise is good. My clothes are getting a looser feel, so I'm encouraged. Hope everyone is well.
  • Protein, etc.
    Ledom, you need lotsa protein especially if you're building muscles at the rate you're going.

Maybe a good quality powdered protein would help in a shake. I found a nice one made from brown rice that doesnt' have soy in it (I can't seem to handle soy...).

It's tough to work around if you don't do a lot of protein - how about river trout? mmm in the frying pan beside the campfire. Packing food (and a blender!) around is tough I imagine because you can't exactly carry fresh meat and veggies with you on your trips. And tins are fairly heavy. (Didn't the cowboys used to live on baked beans? )

I don't have any suggestions other than just try and cut back on the baked goods, rice and pastas and gradually increase your uptake of lowfat cheeses, meat, fish and/or tofu along with the fresh green veggies and salads.

Good luck and have fun on your trip.