General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 10:54 AM   #31  

Good morning ladies,

Sil, I hear ya about not going back. I was thinking about that this morning because I just have so much energy on BFL. In the first four weeks I had a terrible time doing six meals, finding MRPs that I like (I have given up on bars completely but have a box for emergencies). The first two weeks I was hungry all the time (Now I have to FORCE myself to eat and I never think about food). And I didn't see any inches or pounds come off until the end of week six, almost week 7. Now I see progress each and every day. Someone told me that they didn't really "take off" until week 11 and I think I'm one of those people. I just love the way I feel. I love how my love affair/obsession with food has ended (it was a bad relationship anyway ) I love how much energy I have and how lousy I feel if I don't work out when I'm supposed to be doing so. I love BFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Jim: I love that movie. Funny funny.

I was thinking about your horse riding lessons and I am looking into some kind of self-defense course. I took the RAD a few years back, the basic women's self-defense course, and loved it but I was so out of shape that just the stretching exercises wore me out. My partner was a small, skinny workout fanatic (who is moving to LA and stopping in SF for a visit first so I can't wait for her to see me) and sometimes when we did floor exercises I thought I would crush her. But I loved it and have thought I'd love to do formal self-defense (our instructor was one of the few American women who was belted in Japan and had attained respect as a teacher in Japan and did it at a later age).
When I read your post about horse back riding, I thought I'd like to take up something new and all kinds of things I've wanted to do in the past that is cerebral like learning Italian I've done or am doing (go to law school). I've done other physical things like learn to ride a motorcycle (Oh, I'm doing some of my new pictures on my harley. You always see chickies draped on some guys harley. Well, I've decided to drape myself on my OWN Harley). So I might take your horseriding as inspiration and do self-defense. I hear it's a good workout and very mindsettling. I love Tae Bo too. So if anyone know which one would be best, I'd appreciate any input.

I'm excited to have Free Day today and then go into week 12. I was talking to hubby last night about the string of company we will be having for the summer and I think I might follow BFL as closely as I can for the next six weeks but not officially enter Challenge 2 until September. We'll see. I don't want to lose my progress but I know that BFL eating will be difficult with company for six straight weeks (all different people many of whom have not been to the Bay Area and want to do all the touristy things).

We shall see. I hope this group and the L&S guys keep me honest!!!!!!!!!!!

Off to eat Corn Pops (yum yum)

Susan
Old 06-10-2001, 10:48 PM   #32  

Hi I would like to join you all if that is OK?

SIL knows me from the WW at home board, Hi Sil I have been going crazy and what you are on to looks like a great answer to the hohum way I have been of late

I have the BFL video but I dont have the book at this stage.
Will make sure i have the sticktoitifness over the first week first going by the guidlines posted here before I rush out and purchase yet another book to gather dust.
I cannot go to the gym is that a problem?
I have some hand weights and lots of excercise videos, a bike and 4 Golden Retrivers that like to be walked. Will that do to start with?
Hubby has some weights in the garage but they look like killers!!

As I am so unfit I find riding my bike makes my knees hurt and ache and make hidious noises so i dont want to do more damage than good starting on in! What do you think??
Im 175 lb and want to be no more than 130 . Ideally Id like to bee 125 (hence my user name). At the moment i just want to be less than 150 and I feel I'll be over the moon.
I did cut all sugar and whites from my diet last year and although I felt wonderful for it I wasnt losing the weight like i wanted and needed so I went to WW and started to lose but went back to relying to heavily on Carbs and all the refined ones crept back in
Any way what I lost has been regained and Im stick of myself and my fabbiness.
You guys are very inspiring and motivational while still semming very real and aproachable, so I hope its catchy!!

From a website I was told my Body fat was 37% so I have some work to do.
I have Joe Weider Protien powder, I like to soy ones and I take it I should be having 6 small meals a day of 18 grams protien and carbs? Whats the story with fat ??
Old 06-10-2001, 11:07 PM   #33  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Welcome Little Bee!

Check out the links that Susanje posted at the top. Especially the www.hussman.com/eas website - I printed it out because it's a strain on my old eyes to read that whole thang but it's very educational! Helped me a lot in the first couple of weeks.

As far as I can see, BFL's eating plan is 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat. Portions are easy - just use your hand - open palm for protein (chicken breast, etc); closed fist for carbs (potato, rice, etc.). During the week I actually eat pretty much the same thing every day as follows:

Meal #1 - Myoplex Lite (mixed with ice and water)
Meal #2 - Cottage cheese and cut fruit at my desk at work
Meal #3 - this can vary but usually it's a brown rice bowl with grilled chicken and veggies from a Japanese fast-food place near my work. Yummy!
Meal #4 - Myoplex Lite Bar (until I finish the box then it's on to Myoplex Lo-Carb bars) I keep these in my desk at work
Meal #5 - dinner with hubby - usually a grilled chicken breast, rice or potato and veggies - but tomorrow I'm going to have Joe's Special!!
Meal #6 - about 45 minutes before bed - a Myoplex Lite.

Sounds like a lot of eating - but the great thing is that you are never hungry! You also need to drink lots of water. Actually I'm thirsty most of the time anyway. We have bottled water delivered at home and Jim and I go through 10 gallons a week, plus whatever we drink at work.

I would really recommend checking out the book - go to your library or check www.half.com - they have the book at really good prices (I've seen it at $7-$8 there). Or go to the www.bodyforlife.com website - it is a WELLSPRING of free info and you can even download the workout sheets as well as sign up for the Challenge (go to the "Training Zone" link after you sign up for the Challenge and you can even have all your workouts laid out for you!!!

Can you tell I'm excited??? Wait til you guys see my progress photos - Jim's going to take my Week 8 photos next Sunday and I will post all at Lean & Strong! OH And go to www.leanandstrong.com and take a look at the before and after photos there - it is a motivational boost! Take care.
Old 06-11-2001, 12:38 AM   #34  

Little Bee no ones called me that in a lonnng time!!

Thanks for all the info and yes i have been checking out some of the links posted here.
I like the idea of lots of little meals as I like snacking and dont really go for big meals, its just ive been eating too much fat and sugar and not keeping my butt on the move.
I will look forward to seeing your new photos and Sils ones too
Theres a lady called Liz-nz shes from New Zealand like me at the lean and strong site and seeing her progress got me really excited , I look much like her befores but Im 5'6.
I had a good look around the web for body fat calculators and the best one i found that asked for 3 different measurements said I have a body fat of 36% and a Lean body mass of 112.
Several others told me this same amount although 1 said 26 and get this 1 said 13?? go figure, I wish

I'll go and check out this challenge at the BFL website and catch you again later.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:38 AM   #35  

Hi Bee!!!

You will probably want to use the killer weights that your husband has. You can do just about anything that BFL requires with free weights and barbells. I just started using the swiss ball for abs. OUCH.

I just updated my 11 week pix in the link in one of my posts up above and I posted them in the transformation gallery on L&S. Still a long way to go but in these past 2 weeks I have noticed changes every single day. I'm so glad I stuck with it because I was pretty discouraged around week 7 - although the killer was during week 5 when my fat pants got TIGHT on me!!!!!!! I can't believe I stuck with it after that, but I did and am so glad.

Six meals a day, six workouts a week and you will watch the bf% come down. I didn't see ANY progress until the end of week 6 (actually week 7) so hang in there.

If you do it the way it's laid out, it works incredibly well!!!!!!!!

Oh and I'm a big fan of Liz_nz.

Welcome to the BFL club on 3FC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Susan
Old 06-11-2001, 03:34 AM   #36  

SUSAN hi and thanks for the welcome I found your pics and wow what a big change!! worth being really excited about!! I hope you are proud of yourself cos you must of been putting in lots of hard work.

Its so inspiring to see ordinary everyday woman achieving such transformation
Old 06-11-2001, 08:18 AM   #37  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Hi Bee!!!

I'm so glad to see you back on the boards. If you have been reading our posts then you know that I am in week 4 and it! Because of the surgery that I had earlier this year, I was very cautious about lifting weights. Plus my arms were weak from the nerve damage. Between my husband and myself, we have an assortment of dumbbells around the house. there is no way that I could lift his heavy weights for several reps without causing damage.I began with 5# in each hand and worked my way up to 15 (which means I'm lifting 30# ). An example is 12@5#,10@5#, 8@10#, 6@15# etc. I know that this doesn't sound like much but it's a start. I have found that I can do more weight on the machines but I am doing this at home for now. I might have to dip into his weights soon
I would invest in a set of dumbbells for 5#,10#, 15#,20#. Go to the sports store and play around with them:do a few sets and see what it feels like. Try looking for used dumbbells in the newspaper, garage sales,etc.
I would think that some form of aerobic video tape would be adaptable to the intensity levels for the aerobic workout.Even if you can't do the high intensity at least you are exercising

Hope to see ya around~~~Sil

Last edited by 2BFIT1; 06-11-2001 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:32 AM   #38  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Susan~WOW!

Susan, I saw your most recent pics on L&S and have to say "You are becoming a hottie
Keep up the great job. Can't wait to see you on your Harley.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:42 PM   #39  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking I'm so jazzed...

We're all doing so well - our little group is growing. I fervently hope that more people join us here!

I too am a fan of Liz_nz - actually thought she was our own MsLiz here, so I emailed her - she sent me a very sweet note back saying she can only handle one board at a time! I agree - she's doing fab!

Had a bit of a scare last week - for years I've been having a killer migraine right at the beginning of my period. Didn't want to take one of those prescription meds for migraines (since I'm fine the rest of the time!) so Dr. K. put me on a lower estrogen one a week or two ago. Had some real scary breakthrough bleeding, plus I'm breaking out a bit...but it'll be worth it if I stop having those migraines (they can really knock me out sometimes). I was on TriLevlin but now am on Loestrin. The bleeding stopped after a few days and I feel fine again!

We have Swiss balls at the gym but...I wanted to try one out and was told they can only be used with a staff member (personal trainer). What do they think I'm going to do, prick it with a pin? I'll probably go out and get my own!

Had a good LBWO today - dumbbell squats used to be a killer, but now they're a piece of cake, even though I've upped the weights. Next week my routine changes again for the last four weeks of the challenge and I'll be going to barbell squats - think I'll use the Smith machine for those, at least for the first few times. Today my workout was a snap - everyone else in the gym was watching the news from Terre Haute (if you know what I mean) between 5:00 - 5:30 (California time).

Hey Bee (I still like Little Bee!!) if you have access to a gym, try an elliptical fitness trainer - much easier on the old knees. Either that or have your bike looked at - you might need to have it fitted. Jim and I both worked at a bike shop and many people who came in saying cycling aggravated their knees actually had a fit problem - usually the frame was too small or the saddle too low. You don't want too much of a bend in your knees. Go to this website for fit tips: http://www.bikezone.com/infozone/sup.../fitting.shtml Cycling is not only great exercise but it's just plain fun - I'd hate to see you miss out! Take care.
Old 06-11-2001, 02:58 PM   #40  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Oh what a day!

First, one of the cushion pads on my glasses broke. Then my computer wouldn't work. Kept saying nomaster drive found so I finally had to reinstall Windows thus loosing most of my customized info.The real test will be to see if the computer re boots when it is turned off and on again.
On top of it all, I have MY monthly pre-TOM migraine. I do have medication to take but I'm at the age (47) where i think a low dose hormone patch will help the migrains and the pre-menopasal symptoms.

Before I go lay down i just want to know how much weight you are using for your dumbbell squats and lunges? Thanks, Sil
Old 06-11-2001, 03:45 PM   #41  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Squat weight...

Sil - not doing lunges yet - that starts next week (for hamstrings right now, I'm doing deadlifts and lying curls).

Here's today's quad workout:

Dumbbell Squats - 12 @ 40# (20 lb each side); 10 @ 50# (25# DBs each side); 8 @ 60 (30# DBs); 6 @ 70# (35# DBs); then 12 @ 60# again; followed by a set of 12 Leg Extensions at 75#.

I'll probably raise the weight on Friday...
Old 06-11-2001, 05:21 PM   #42  

MRS JIM my bike had better be the right size as I bought it from a proper bike shop and the guy said it was right for me. I dont like to have the seat too high although it could maybe go up a teeny bit (Im afraid of falling off the thing)
Ive just been looking at your website and you obviously ride heaps, one day I hope to be able to just get out thereand do it and enjoy it too. You have come along way and I take my hat of to you I agree your mother sure was a looker, a very beautiful women! You are getting to look mre like her dont you think. I cant recognise you from the first photo at all.

As for squats I have differculty doing many without any weights at all (mainly my knees again) but no doubt that will improve. When I started walking 2 miles would wear out but now 5 miles isnt a problem, although I have slacked off something terrible these past few months.
I have 2 pairs of dumbells 5# and 10# so they can start me off.
I cant use the 10# ones much.
Boy my body is in for a shock, but I feel excited.
Got though my first day well anyway and am for a walk/run this morning. Running makes me feel like Im going to die so thats gotta be good ,huh
I have tryed to attach a photo of me from last winter, I was 20lb lighter then than now. Actually I have NEVER weighed this much not even though 4 pregnances
Old 06-11-2001, 06:15 PM   #43  

Oh SIL your day isnt going too well. Computers can be sooo annoying eh !! Im sure mine is harbouring a demon at times
Thanks for giving me the idea to come over here, I think Im going to like it
Old 06-11-2001, 07:53 PM   #44  
Uber-Moderator!!

Angry WOW! This thread is already getting very long!!!

Bee - thanks for the nice things you said about Mom. Although she no longer has the long hair (so 60's!) she's still one hot muffin - at least Dad still thinks so (they celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary this year!).

Also, if your bike isn't comfy, hotfoot it back to the shop and have them adjust it for you. Not only saddle height but have them check the handlebar stem as well. Sometimes just a fraction of an inch can make a HUGE amount of difference in the comfort of your ride! Don't worry that you're bothering them or taking their time - a good bike shop always stands by the products they sell and should be glad to assist with any problems at any time. Despite the price of bikes these days, there is actually very little retail profit made - most shops make the majority of their profits from service and accessories rather than the bikes themselves.

I'm not riding as much this year as I did last year, part of it having to do with my job (I travel frequently) and partly with the weather just being not to our liking. Jim's a Southern California born and bred desert rat and if it's not at least 85 degrees out it would take a plutonium blast to get him out of the house!

I looked at your photo and you look fine - imagine how great you'll look after 12 weeks on BFL! Make sure you take those 'before' pix if you haven't done so already!

I really need to change my signature...BFL doesn't focus nearly as much on scale weight as most of the plans that others are on here in the Forum at large. Those scale numbers can really mess you up! I'll do that after work though.

My fervent wish is that everyone on the 3FC board at least checks out the BFL program...I know there is not one thing that works for everyone...but (this is addressed to the casual 3FC lurker out there) you've GOTTA check out the transformation pix on L&S before making any judgements...many of those people were SEVERELY obese and have transformed themselves - and take a look at susanje's pix as well! I won't fool ya - it's hard work but the rewards are rich!!! Take care.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:13 PM   #45  

I was just saying that today. It's hard work but it's worth it. The benefits are EXTRAORDINARY and because I'm so healthy and happy and energetic, I know it's the real deal. It's the right stuff. I love love love it.

What I love about BFL:

- I plan my food but don't think about food. What a paradox that is. I honestly don't think about what my next meal is going to be and when. I crave nothing. If I crave it, I have it on Free Day. It is incredible to me how I've learned to CHOOSE what to focus on for free day. Yesterday was cinnamon rolls (Grands by Pillsbury). I really wanted a cinnabon but the grands were second best. I ate THREE of them. But I really wanted it, I really could have it, I really could savor it...and NO GUILT. It is so nice to eat fatty sugary things with NO GUILT. I'm not "off my diet" I'm not "cheating on my diet" I'm not "between diets". This is part of my plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Phillips is a genius with the free day thing. I have said that about a dozen times since I started.

The other six days I plan my food and I don't think about when am I going to eat, what am I going to eat, I'm bored, I'm hungry, I will eat just because yadda yadda.

I have so much energy it is incredible. I love the way I feel MORE than the way I look (though I ain't looking too shabby )

My husband said that at the risk of sounding ridiculous that I might be in danger of a sunny disposition (me: native, sarcastic grumpy Noo Yawker). Sunny disposition!!!!!!!!! The noive.

My mood has lightened a million degrees. I LOVE BODY FOR LIFE.

Just about time to start a new thread. Whaddya think gals?

Susan
Closed Thread