General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 04:31 PM   #1  

Talking

Hi all! I started a new thread, as the other was getting long. Hope everyone is having a great week!

231/207/170
Old 05-31-2001, 05:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

After having 5 of my 50 lbs creep back up on me I started using dietwatch again on Tuesday this week to track my calories.

My history.

I counted calories for over 6 months starting last August. I averaged around 1400 calories per day. I lost 50 lbs.

I stopped counting calories (tried doing it in my head instead of writing it down). I gained back 5 lbs since February.

I am counting calories again for the summer and trying to get within 10 lbs of my goal weight of 120 lbs. The lbs are not a big deal, it is the tummy I want to get rid of. I am trying for 1400 calories a day and hoping to lose about 8 lbs a month.

Counting calories can be kind of a pain, but it sure does work!

And Mrs. Jim: I applaud your efforts to keep people informed about health information and dieting. I am glad you are here.

Last edited by morrigan; 05-31-2001 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:03 AM   #3  

Morrigan: Congratulations on the initial weight loss. It is great that you noticed the five pounds and didn't just give up. I use fitday.com and it is a big help with watching my calories. I usually don't use it on the weekend and I can tell the difference. I enjoy counting calories because it is the simplest way to keep up with what I eat. I have tried programs where you count exchanges, but I don't know when something is a vegetable or a starch or what, so counting calories works for me. Also, re: Mrs. Jim, I think she is a world of information. Although, I think some people get a little offended when she gives good sound advice. We get so desperate sometimes to get that quick fix (miracle pills and juice diets) that we don't want to hear anyone tell us it is not going to work. Go to her web page and you will see than she has figured out what works as she has been on this journey a long time. And I'll take advice from anyone that has lost that much weight and kept it off!

I normally weigh on Monday mornings, but I weighed this morning just for a preview and have a loss. I am not going to report it yet, as I have found I lose weight during the week, but gain some of it back on the weekend. So I am going to try to keep up with my calories this weekend and see if I can keep my loss.

Hope everyone has a successful weekend!!

231/207/170
(199 Independence Day)
Old 06-01-2001, 08:45 AM   #4  

Good morning everyone,

I finally made it back to my goal wt., I been working on a few pounds since the holidays!!! Weekends are my downfall, and Mrs Jim had good for advice me, seems like that is a hard time for most of us, not staying in a routine.

Yes Morrigan, it is good to take care of little gains and not let them become big ones. I talk from experience, as I have lost and re gained the same 85 pounds two times before I finally lost it for good seven years ago. You just have to constantly stay on top of things and for me that means journaling and exercising.

Nettie1971, thanks for the new thread and good luck on your weigh-in Monday, I weigh-in on Fridays, maybe that is part of my problem with over indulging on the weekends, if I had to face the scale on Monday mornings I might think twice about overeating on the weekends (or NOT)!!!!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Daytona
Old 06-01-2001, 08:53 AM   #5  

Default Accurate amount of calories?

I have tried Weight Watchers a million times only to fail. I would like to give counting calories a shot. I work out 5-6 days a week (I just began this recently), what is a good calorie range for me to work with? I am trying to learn to listen to my body when I'm hungry but I'd like to have a calorie range to be in. Any help would be appreciated-
Old 06-01-2001, 09:10 AM   #6  

Try this web site:

http://www.hussman.com/eas/#calories

You have to scroll down quit a bit, but it is there under CLICK HERE TO CALCULATE YOUR BMR.

Mrs. Jim posted it on another board the other day. I think it works pretty well. You can go to www.fitday.com or www.dietwatch.com to keep up with your calories. Or you can write them down. I like the web site because I can look up foods when I don't have a clue how many calories they have.

Good luck and keep posting.

231/207/170
Old 06-05-2001, 10:12 AM   #7  

Question Hey! Where did everybody go?

I hope everyone is doing well. I don't know about everyone else, but I can't find where the subscribed threads shortcut is now or if it is gone.

I lost two pounds last week and just added a stationary bike into my workout program.

Hope everyone is having a successful day!
Old 06-05-2001, 11:24 AM   #8  

Smile Keeping up

Well, I haven't post here for a bit. I weigh myself in last Friday and only lost 1/2 lb. Only 20Lb of my weight I have lost in total. Now the last few days I have been completely lost of energy. I really hate that feeling. So I bought a herbal vitamin supplement called Pick Me Up! I have not taken it yet cause I feel pretty good this morning. But yesterday and yesterday before that no matter how much sleep I got I have been feeling fatigue and bla

Congrats Nattie1971 on your two pound loss.

257/237/137
Old 06-05-2001, 07:00 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking WARM FUZZIES FROM YOU ALL!!!

Been so busy today - it's been a great day here! that I didn't get a chance to view the board until now...then saw all your nice words about me on the new page.

Maybe I just like to give too much advice for my own good - gets me in trouble sometimes!

I've been through the diet wringer just like all of you have, spent money that I could ill afford on 'miracle diets' that didn't work. Always ended up blaming myself when the 'miracle' failed. But you know what?? Losing weight shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. In fact, it shouldn't cost anything!! Reducing your caloric intake should save money since you are taking in less food. And take a look in the stores - everyone says that it's more expensive to eat a healthy diet when actually, fruits and veggies are pretty inexpensive (especially if bought in season, rather than out of season). I get a huge bag of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts for $11 and it lasts me more than a week! The less processed a food is, the better it is for you (for the most part). Baked potatoes? Brown Rice? Very cheap stuff! I love going to the local Farmer's Market here on the weekends - everything is fresh and so inexpensive!

The important thing is to keep track of your portions and what you're putting IN your mouth as well as the calories you're burning...

Enough for now, my break is over! See ya!
Old 06-06-2001, 04:24 PM   #10  

Hi everyone,

Just checking to see how all of you are doing?? I am ok, my weight stayed the same this week so I am really glad. Seems I been eating with more restraint this past weekend. I did eat to much at a shower on Sunday but I was saving calories on Sat so it all must of worked out. Counting calories is much easier than points (weight watchers), most things you buy now have them listed and so do many fast food places. I do enjoy the motivation at meetings though. Hope we all stay with our eating plans and keep up the exercise. I have slipped into not doing my arm weight work out the past couple weeks. I am going on a vacation next Wed so when I get back I will restart my program of weights. Do any of you belong to a gym? We just had a YMCA open in our town, no pool or hot tub but they offer exercise classes and weight machines and free weights. I am considering joining but wonder if I would actually use it enough. Your opinions would be appreciated. I was thinking of the Y because it is only 3 miles from my house, I don't want to have to drive 15 miles into town for a nicer facility. By nicer I mean pool, hot tubs etc. I do think the Y has a personal trainer on staff. I sure need to firm this body!! Thanks.

Daytona
Old 06-08-2001, 07:22 AM   #11  

Hi Daytona: I would suggest seeing if they will let you sign up for a month to month contract. If in a month's time you find you really don't use it, then you can cancel. A lot of gyms want you to sign a year to two year contract before you even start working out. The gyms in my area are extreamly expensive, $50 a month for basic membership with joining fees on top of that. It is a big decision to make.

I also find counting calories easy. I just watch my serving sizes and then I don't have to guess anything. From what I hear WW is great for support and I have learned from this board that support is one of the biggest pedictors of success. Personally, for me, it has been the primary reason I am successful this time unlike anytime in the past. As long as you find a plan that works for you, it doesn't matter if it is a combination of a lot of different plans.

Hope everyone has a great, successful weekend!
Old 06-08-2001, 03:31 PM   #12  

Happy Friday!!

Thanks for the input Nettie1971, I might hold off joining a gym till fall, we have a pool (if the weather ever warms up) and we go out of town a lot in the summer. The gyms around here are also unaffordable, $80.00 plus just to join plus monthly fees and you still have to pay for any extras you do. That's why I was thinking along the lines of the YMCA. How are you doing with your weight loss? You sure hit the nail on the head with combining a lot of weight loss plans to find one that works for you. I mostly count calories but I go to w/w to keep the mental motivation going. Being I am lifetime I go for free so why not? I lost all but the last 10 pounds of my weight counting calories but the last 10 I lost at w/w so I got my lifetime. Weight watchers has taught me how to keep the wt off, something I could never do prior to joining. You will lose your weight also, it always seems like it takes forever but that is just because you are wanting it so badly. This board is such great support for all of us, usually someone can relate to any problems you may encounter. Well, have a good weekend and I am going to try and stay on my eating plan without too much indulging!! I am also walking in a 5K tomorrow so that will help with the exercise.

Daytona
Old 06-08-2001, 03:48 PM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Angry Sing it everyone...Y-M-C-A...

I belong to 24 Hour Fitness myself (I've been a member for 7+ years) but if I had kids, I would DEFINITELY consider the YMCA, since they seem to be the only place that's gym-oriented and also caters specifically to families.

The Y in my area (San Mateo County, CA) opened a beautiful facility a few years ago that not only has the latest equipment in their Fitness Center, outstanding classes in all the latest stuff (Boot Camp, Spinning, Pilates), wellness classes, body fat testing, etc. but also has a fitness program specially geared to kids 10 years and older - and we all know that the best way to get fit is to start young and learn to LOVE exercise.

The YMCA's national link is http://www.ymca.net/ They have a great locator on there as well. If you have children (and even if you don't) I'd definitely give them a look.

BTW, if you want to hear about expensive gyms, one of my co-workers goes to Pacific Athletic Club - $140 a month (I'm scared to find out how much the enrollment fee is). It is a beautiful club though. But...I think I'll stick to my 24 Hour Fitness membership at $24 a month - not to mention the fact that it's a mere 2 blocks from my house! Take care.
Old 06-10-2001, 12:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I weighed in this morning and am finally down 2 lbs from June 1st. My goal was for 8 lbs a month this summer, but I am happy to have any as poorly as I have been doing. It is funny how losing just a bit can be so motivating for you to do better.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:55 AM   #15  

Red face Good Morning!

I lost another four pounds last week. Bringing my total loss to date to 30 pounds. I am almost halfway to goal. I had been losing two pounds a week, but jumped to four last week. The only thing I did different last week was added a stationary bike to my workouts. I don't know if that was the kicker or if it was just something that happened. I didn't exercise over the weekend, but still ate sensibly. People are starting to notice that I have lost weight and that feels really good. But not as good as it feels to be in clothes that are falling off of me. Not to mention how healthy exercising makes me feel. I can seriously say, it has been a long time since I felt this good.

Daytona: How did the 5k go? I don't think I am up to that challenge just yet. I agree w/w would be a great place for support, but I work 10+ hours a day and don't get to see my children but for a few hours. With my husband being a stay at home dad, he needs a break and I need to play with them, so w/w would take up too much of my time, as I'm sure a gym would. I have been working out to tapes every weekday evening and with my husbands support and these boards I have been real successful.

Mrs. Jim: You are right about the YMCA's being best for families. For ten extra dollars a month, you can join our local YMCA and get membership to all the YMCA's in the metropolitan area. That would be great fo a family that had the time. We are considering joining after we move in August. (We are staying in the same town, just moving down the street a little.)

Hope everyone has a successful day!!

231/201/170
(199 Independence Day)

Last edited by Nettie1971; 06-11-2001 at 06:57 AM.
Closed Thread