Eat Up Slim Down or Eat Great, Lose Weight book and calorie question.

• Has anyone ever gone by this book on weight loss? Both books are the same just
    different titles. Recipes look great and the first part of it is a record about caloires
    and such. I some what disagree on the calore count. I figure no matter who you are
    you have to eat between 1,200 to 1,400 calories to lose weight. According to this book
    if you do calculations on a 237 lb woman You go from the calories to maintain that weight and
    subtract 500 to lose 1lb or subtract 1000 for 2lb loss. Well that would put a 237lb woman at
    moterate activity to eat around 2,700 calories. I'm not use to seeing those calculations.
    Would this be a more true calculation then what I am use to?
  • BMR Calculator
    There's a mathmatical way to find out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). Unfortunately, I am not one of the most mathmatically inclined people around! Thank goodness I did find one BMR Calculator - thanks to susanje for posting the link:

http://www.hussman.com/eas/#calories

Scroll down a bit and you'll see a link "Click here to Calculate your BMR" and a JavaScript box should pop up. The text says that, at a sedentary exercise level, your daily caloric burn is about 1.3 times your BMR. If you are more active, it goes up accordingly.

So if you are not very active, you would figure out your calories by taking 1.3 times your BMR and subtracting 500 calories per day for each pound you want to lose per week, without going too far under BMR (the author of the website where the calculator is located says you should not go under the equivalent of 10 calories per pound of LEAN bodyweight, otherwise you won't be getting in enough calories. Anyway, it's all written up there at the above link! Hope that helps out!
  • That is a great website to figure your BMR and how many calories you should be eating.

Thanks.