3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Counting calories, my problem (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/55055-counting-calories-my-problem.html)

PURPLEPANSY 03-19-2005 08:26 AM

Counting calories, my problem

Hi all,
I've been counting calories and eating between 1500-1600 a day (I went to a dietician and that is the amount she told me to eat for now). By the end of the day when I near that amount, I feel like I've cheated. I feel as if I'm not on a plan and I'm not going to lose so I end up binging. I know this is a mind set and I'm sure this is because of all the low calorie diets I've been on, 1200 cal and lower. How do I get out of this? I'm keeping a journal and eating alot of fruits and veggies. But I see that 1600 a day and I'm like. .. oh you blew it.. and I'm eating junk and cake.. sigh..

featherz 03-19-2005 09:10 AM

1600 might not even be ENOUGH, believe it or not. I'm still losing slowly at 1800-2000 a day and I'm at goal. :P That said, I lost 43 pounds eating no less than 1500-1600/day so I don't think that's too high for you.

Sides - according to your ticker you have 70 pounds to go. It's better to start a t the highest calorie level you can get away with (and still lose fat) - then you have somewhere to go if needed since the weight loss will eventually stop for most people on a constant calorie intake. The body is very smart and adjusts. :)

cyndy 03-19-2005 12:01 PM

PurplePansy - I know what you mean, but we live and we learn, and less than 1200 although we've probably all tried it, is not the best way to go about it. It can slow down the metabolism and lead to binging. Stick with 1600 even though it may take a lilttle longer to lose weight.

Featherz - YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME!!! I want to up my calorie intake. My question is how long did it take you to lose weight and how much and often did you exercise?

Thanks a bunch :)

PURPLEPANSY 03-19-2005 12:24 PM

THANX for the insight everyone. I'll stick with the highter end of the calories and not think about the numbers. I see the dietician in 3 weeks. I'll keep everyone posted

bicker 03-20-2005 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PURPLEPANSY
THANX for the insight everyone. I'll stick with the highter end of the calories and not think about the numbers. I see the dietician in 3 weeks. I'll keep everyone posted

As President Reagan would say, "Trust, but verify." Practically any approach is worth trying, but you're smart to keep close tabs on your progress with your dietician. I've found that, as often as not, eating more calories causes me to gain weight.

Typically, what you're eating matters as much as how much, as does what you're doing for exercise. It's the whole package that drives your progress one way or another.