General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2001, 06:12 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.

http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.
Old 05-20-2001, 06:24 AM   #2  
Chick

Default Goodmorning...

It is good to hear from everyone.

I weighed yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I haven't weighed in quite a while so I'm not sure if I have gained or lost, but I have fared much better than I thought. Probably a good thing I waited a couple weeks after getting out of school because I was losing it right there at the end (not weight, self-control). Also, I have my good exercise habits back. I have been hiking on the days I'm not in the boat. By they way Mrs. Yogi, kayaking would take care of those arms for you. All in all I am feeling positive at this moment in time.

LOL about how long you would last on Survivor lana. My lack of competitiveness would do me in, but I do have some pretty good survival skills. I love the outdoors and have begun traveling with my bird and wildflower books and binoculars. Also my journal to write it all down.
Old 05-20-2001, 12:01 PM   #3  

I wouldn't last on Survivor either. My idea of surviving is a triple slide out RV parked by the side of the ocean, cold glass of wine while sitting in a plastic chair and being without a washer and dryer for a couple of days. Ledom, I also don't like to compete. I never play board games or cards anymore because I often win and don't like that feeling. It was the same when I was a kid. I wanted everyone to win and still do. Hey, I believe we all can win.

I did do a lot of camping when my daughter was at home. We used to go "birding" which was fun. I just gave all my camping stuff to her last month. Now that she and her BF have a car they want to go camp this summer. We used to go to a little place called "Porteau Cove" on the way up to Whistler. It was nice.

Good for you on the weigh in Ledom. It is best not to get too fixated on weighing, that is for sure. I am trying to the once a week thing. Though I do sometimes cheat and hop on the scale for a peek. Then wish I didn't. It rarely goes as good as one hopes. It is best to focus on the long term and health.

Shebacat, it is so good that you knew the symptoms for diabetes. You friend was lucky. How is the kitty doing?

Lana, are you enjoying your time off at home. Glad to hear that the chicken pox is the thing of the past. I think the only thing my D got was measles. I remember when we were growing up the school had vaccinations for stuff all the time. When I was raising my D I had to take her in myself for vaccinations.

A glider swing sounds wonderful..

Mrs. Yogi were you caught up in the excitement of the provincial election? We watched t.v. all evening. We were glad the Liberals got in but very glad the Green party made so many gains. You are a real inspiration in the diet arena!!

Yesterday I made a lower fat version of baked ziti (I was motivated by the Sopranos eating ziti in the first season and thought I would get some recpes off the internet). It was delicious, it had a layer of cottage, parmesan, mozzarella and provolone cheese mixed with onions, garlic, mushrooms, spinach and basil. Then it had the ziti and a spicy marinara sauce. Even though it was the lower fat version it still was 9 points a 1 1/2 cup serving. Though that was pretty filling since it was so rich. I froze it in Ziplocs for my DH's lunch so I wouldn't be eating it until it was gone. The internet has enriched my cooking by so many people sharing such good recipes. I have made three monster size binders of recipes that I just love off of the internet.

I am tutoring my D in history. We are using the book "The End of the European Era, 1890 to the Present" by Glibert and Large. We are having such a good time. We read and discuss on the phone every second night.

That is all the news here. Have a good Monday everyone.
Old 05-20-2001, 01:19 PM   #4  

Hi ladies,

Ya'lls idea of surviving is much better than mine. Give me a 5 star hotel any day. Plus, could not, would not, eat any insects. I would be the first one off the island. I could survive on rice, but no creepy, crawly things. Judi, my cat seems to be doing better, but she is still straining when she tries to go to the restroom. This is the fourth day of antibiotics, so I think I'll call the vet tomorrow to see why she's still having trouble. Hope your daughter does well in her history class......I love history. My favorite period is the Revolutionary War. I have a couple of friends who love the period during the Civil War. In fact, when one of them retired, I bought her a gift package that had actual artifacts from the Battle of Gettysburg. It had a button, a piece of a bullet, and a few other things. You know I had to open the box and touch each piece. It was so facinating to be able to hold a real piece of history. The History Channel is one of my favorite ones to watch. That plus HGTV, Discovery, and TLC. Ledom, it's great to see you back on track and exercising. It is so much easier to "exercise" doing the things you love. I'm still planning on taking horseback riding lessons, but now I'm going to wait until the fall when it gets cooler. Lana, I'm glad your chickenpox ordeal is over. I remember when I had it as a child.....it was horrible! Hi Alice, Donna, and Mrs. Yogi....hope ya'll are having a good weekend. Talk to ya'll later.
Old 05-21-2001, 02:34 AM   #5  

Default Wow...what a coincidence. Or is it fate?

I stumbled in here just to see what the Prevention diet was, and lo and behold...it's very nearly the diet I invented for myself just a few weeks ago!

There are certainly some big differences, but the part that struck me was the vege/fruit requirement. That happens to be exactly what I imposed on myself. I decided simply to start there: instead of taking anything away, imposing deprivation and lack upon myself, I would ADD something. Instead of coming from "must not", I would instead come from "must".

I have found it to be a very powerful thing to do. Requiring that many vegetables and fruits changes everything else about what I want to eat and what I do eat.

Hmmm. Funny.

Well, just wanted to comment on that.

Oh, and hi.
Old 05-21-2001, 09:47 AM   #6  
Chick

Default Welcome,

Miss Thing! Glad you joined in. You make a good point about how one change in behaviour can cause a chain reaction that impacts other aspects of your health regime. This truly is a wonderful diet. Truthfully, I have found myself slipping away from it after a year and a half. While still trying to maintain parts of it, mainly the 6 small meals a day, I sometimes don't proportion the food out in the proper groups. Perhaps the new thing I should try is getting those fruits and vegetables and beans back in the proper amounts. An interesting blurb on morning tv today had to do with plateaus. The point is not to cut back more to break it, but to stick with the plan. I think I will make the goal this week of being religious to this wonderful diet for the next few days. On the scale issue. Weighing last week was a good experience that I didn't expect. I did move the scale out of my bathroom and down to the basement over the weekend. I think I'll weigh in one or two times a month.

Miss Thing, introduce yourself to us - tell us more about who you are.
Old 05-22-2001, 04:31 PM   #7  
Call me BuBu

Default Long Weekend Update...

Hi Judi, Ledom, greetings Miss Thing!

Had a good weekend, did not go tooo crazy in celebration of DH return. Had a so-so workout on Friday nite (well you can't work up a raging sweat all the time!). Probably had something to do with the energy burned off riding bike to and from work he he. Was slightly pooped by the time I got to the gym, but did bump up my weights again so I was actually working at lifting instead of just going thru the motions.

Lazed around on my deck and read a book all day Sunday while DH slept. He was very tired and had to recharge.

We took a long walk yesterday (it was hot!). We worked up a good sweat but were too lazy to tackle The Hill (a vertical stair climb built into the side of cliff…the reward is a 360 degree view from the top). Maybe next time we'll go earlier or later in the day when it's cooler. (When it's hot like that I'd actually rather work out in the air conditioned gym…) He'll have his new bike any day now. Ledom, I can just imagine what kayaking does for the arms - I'll have to take it up on my own, though, DH terrified of tipping and drowning...

This morning I rode my bike to work and brought The Pants (for those just joining us, these are my size 16P Jones New York side-zip lined trousers in charcoal plaid summerweight wool that I have not been able to wear for the last couple of years...). This is a milestone here, not only can I wear them without sucking in my gut or worrying about the side seams splitting when I sit down, but I actually TUCKED MY T-SHIRT INTO THEM!!! I can't begin to tell you how great this is…

Rock on girls...
179/166/150

PS: Judi, without turning this into a political message board, I have to admit I find Mr. C. a bit scary... his record as mayor was not the greatest (unless you were a developer of course lol).
Old 05-22-2001, 07:42 PM   #8  

Hi Ladies,

Well, I am not looking forward to weigh in tomorrow. I had Hagen Daz and pizza this week Have done some light gardening for the last couple of days in the late afternoon sun while being kind of magical in the golden glow and scent of fresh mowed grass and banks of sweet woodruff I don't think I should really consider it exercise. Certainly not the kind of exercise the rest of you do. (Mrs. Yogi and Ledom) My DH is going to San Diego on Thursday. I am going to stay home. The weather is so nice and I am enjoying the gardening. I have a lot of books to read as well. I'll accompany him someplace in about 6 weeks.

My D and I studying history is going very well. I am enjoying it a lot. She is going to take "macarena" lessons. They do them in HEELS! Yikes!

Lana, Alice and Shebacat how are you doing?

Welcome Miss Thing! How are you doing on the diet?

Last edited by judi; 05-22-2001 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2001, 01:59 PM   #9  
Call me BuBu

Default Gardening

Hey Judi, gardening sounds really nice. And it's more exercise than you think. My mom is 80 years old going on 25 because she spends all her time just moving her piles from A to B then back again.

If she isn't working on it, she's planning and dreaming what she's going to plant next year (she is really into lilies, the place smells heavenly all summer!).

Hagen Daz, now there's something I haven't had in a while. Hope you enjoyed it for all of us!

DH is coming around on his own: he looked at the label on the turkey bacon we had for BLTs last night (it has SKIN and CORNSTARCH as a binding agent - baaaaaad, but just a treat he he) and said "This is NOT GOOD… it's not part of the program, is it?" He stopped at one beer and when I asked him if I could get him another one he said "No thanks, it's not the weekend…" I am SO IMPRESSED!

He's bike shopping today.

The boss is buying lunch today, which means sushi bar yay. I love sushi.
Still riding bike to work - this weather is gorgeous! Loving every minute of it.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-23-2001, 03:33 PM   #10  
Chick

Default Isn't summer divine?

judi and Mrs. Yogi you certainly sound like you are enjoying it and I know that I am.

What a difference a month makes, I feel renewed in my diet efforts. When I was in the depths of despair over it all, I knew in the back of mind I'd feel better at some point.

I jogged this morning, a little over a mile on a mountain path. Last night I explored a little lake I never knew about in my kayak. I am feeling really toned. My shoulders, back, and biceps are looking especially nice I think. I bought a cute (cheap) outfit to show off my muscles. A knee length skirt (usually wear mid-calf or longer) in a fun flowery 60's print and a bright knit sleeveless top to go with it. D says I look good in it so I'm taking her word. If she isn't embarrassed then it must be ok!

I am finally getting myself into the darkroom today so I better get back to it before the spell breaks. I just finished Anne Lamott's book Bird by Bird, which is certainly inspiring for an artist who more easily procrastinates than performs. That would be me.
Old 05-24-2001, 02:09 PM   #11  
Call me BuBu

Default Great Stuff!

Nice going, Ledom! Watch out for wildlife if you're out there on your own… I try not to worry.

The little lake sounds like a jewel. Still biking and having a good time. Food not a huge problem. Had popcorn last night for video nite though, first time in a long time. It was very good Has everyone seen "Best in Show"? It was cute. My friend was in it, she has a small part as one of the judges, "Freda". She actually got to say a line. Big thrill to see her ...

Take care
Old 05-25-2001, 06:02 AM   #12  

Default Good morning!

It is 2:55 am here and I can't sleep.

Your kayaking sounds great Ledom. It must be so peaceful out on the lake. It IS great that summer is here. Your outfit sounds nice. If a D says you look good ... rest assured "You look GOOD!".

Mrs. Yogi, I bought some pappadums today. How many calories in one? I am doing it in the microwave with no fat of any kind.

The DH and I watched "Best of Show". We loved it.

I planted a window box with basil today. Six basil plants of four diff. types. I want to be able to use it in Italian cooking. I spent some time in the garden. We are having record breaking warmth here. It is SO nice.

The DH is gone for 10 days and I am on my own. I have a lot to do so it will be o.k.

I made freezer jam last night. Strawberry. I usely make the cooked kind. I think it is going to be very good.

Food wise has been good. I walked today.

TGIF for you working girls! Everyone have a good weekend.
Old 05-25-2001, 01:06 PM   #13  
Call me BuBu

Default Pappadums

Hey Judi

I woke up before dawn as well. Must be that new moon.

A pappadum is about 25 calories. More if it's in a restaurant as I've mentioned before.

This weather is amazing ain't it?

Have a great weekend! We'll be watching hockey no doubt he he

Did anyone hear that the Stanley Cup will be visiting our village (Oak Bay) today at 3:00 pm? And the Courtnall Boys will be there, as they grew up here. How exciting. Wish I could head out early - do you think that would wash with the boss? He is *not* a hockey fan he he.
Old 05-25-2001, 08:20 PM   #14  
Chick

Default Hi everyone...

How is are you guys doing? I am working very hard at having a good time. Woke up at 4:45 in order to launch my kayak in time to catch the morning mist. Had a lovely morning on the lake. Chasing great blue herons, piliated woodpeckers, turkey buzzards and the like. Saw a racoon drinking on the shore, somehow much more picturesque than I the one that is determined to strew my garbage around every night.

Hanging in there with the diet. I am telling a difference in my clothes and I think my face might look a little slimmer.

Memorial Day down here in the states girls. Many social activities planned for the next 3 days, all of which revolve around food I am afraid. Your know what they say, forewarned is forearmed. I plan to be good while still having a few treats. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
Old 05-26-2001, 01:14 AM   #15  

Default american friends!

Have a great long weekend!

Mrs., Yogi...you live in Oak Bay! It is so nice there, when ever we go to Victoria (not as often as I like) we always drive thru Oak Bay and look at the homes and yards. Enjoy your hockey game. When the Vancouver Canucks went to play the New York Rangers for the final I like every other person in Vancouver was an avid hockey fan. I like hockey, my DH doesn't like sports (though he has a black belt in karate). When we first married I liked that about him because my dad and brother were sports nuts. I still like hockey though. Reminds me of my youth. We all went to games.

Ledom, your times out in the kayak sound so wonderful. It really was a good purchase for you. Hey, have fun this weekend.

I have been busy. I bought more strawberries to make more jam. I did some gardening and saw a deer in my yard eating a shrub I didn't want anyway. It stayed for quite awhile and we weren't very far apart. It is great to see wild animals. I put up a hummingbird feeder two days ago and it is almost empty! It sounds like you are enjoying the animals you see around the lake, Ledom.

Alice, if you are around...pop in for a visit. How are things going with the puppy?

Lana how are you doing?

Shebacat, how are things with you?

The food thing is much easier when I don't have to cook.

Last edited by judi; 05-26-2001 at 01:18 AM.
Closed Thread