3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Need some advice!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/52430-need-some-advice.html)

losingforme 01-24-2005 07:01 PM

Need some advice!!

I posted in the introduction forum, but wanted to get into more detail here. I have been "dieting" since Dec 20, 04 and have lost right at 8 lbs. I just had a baby in July and have lost all of my pregnancy weight but would like to get down to where I feel the best, which is 120(I'm 5'2"). Anyway, dh and I and kids are going home in March and I had really hoped to have all this weight gone by then. Unfortunately, I have hit a wall at 135. 135 is the lowest I've been in a few years and am wondering if my body is just used to that weight and if so, when will it let go :lol: I do spinning classes 3x a week and strength train at home 3-4x a week. I also walk my daughter to school at least 3x a week.(about 20 minutes..there and back). I keep my calories to 1200-1500 a day. Eat higher end on the days I take spin. Can you guys suggest anything else? I have about 5 1/2 more weeks and would like to lost 2lbs a week, which is a healthy rate. Please help.....TIA

Amy
SW 142
CW 134-135
GW 120

aphil 01-25-2005 09:21 AM

It looks to me like you have not yet hit "a wall". You have lost 8 pounds in just over a month-and that is a good and steady rate.

What I suspect is that the first couple weeks the weight was coming off faster-and now it has slowed down a touch and you are maybe getting worried? :?:

When you first start losing weight it tends to come off a little quicker for various reasons-one being that the heavier your weight is, the more calories your body burns naturally to maintain that weight-so most people find that when they get close to goal (the last 5-20 pounds) that the weight comes off slower and slower.

You are doing everything just fine it seems-the only thing I can suggest is not to "plan" your weight loss so much by expecting/planning to lose 2 pounds a week. Your body has a lot of things to adjust to when you lose weight, because everything in the body is connected.

A similar scenario is when you think about why you gain 20-40 pounds when you are having a 7 pound baby...there are many changes in blood volume, fat stores your body produces for breastfeeding, extra water your body is carrying-even your heart and lungs shift place in your chest cavity!

Your body has to adjust things to your weight loss-so you may do things evenly-keep in your calorie range, exercise faithfully-and you may lose 2 pounds this week, and 1/2 a pound the next. Your body will lose the weight-but you really cannot "calculate" how fast it is going to do it in.

I would not say that you have hit a wall or plateau until your weight loss has pretty much stopped (100% on plan and with continuous exercise) for about a month. Even if you are only losing 1 pound a month-you are still losing-so I wouldn't worry. The last 5 pounds for some people can slow down to 1/2 a pound a month. Every body is different.

My advice is to keep on plan...keep on exercising-and only weigh yourself at the MOST once a week. Heck-stay off it for 2 or 3...and you may be pleasantly surprised. When your losses slow down a little-it can be frustrating to be weighing in twice a week and not seeing much change.

2 pounds a week IS a healthy weight loss...but most only lose that much in the first phase of their weight loss-not that fast as they get nearer to their goal.

Just be patient...the weight will come off. You may not lose the 10+ pounds that you want to in 5 1/2 weeks...but you may lose 3-5 in that time. You are still going in the right direction, and will look better, and feel better. Just keep it up. :D

losingforme 01-25-2005 06:12 PM

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I will be happy with any weight loss in that timeframe. I was just "hopeing" to be where I wanted by then. KWIM? Our families(except for both our parents, who came over here when we had our son)have not seen me since Oct 03 and I just really wanted to wow them. I know I will anyway with the amount I've lost so far, but you know what I mean, right???? I will keep doing what I'm doing and I know it will come off eventuallly, I'm just being anxious about going home. Thanks for your advice. Also, do you think my calories are ok? Am I eating enough to lose or too much? TIA

lottie63 01-25-2005 06:25 PM

I had a nutritionist tell me never eat under 1300 cals.

also, do you vary yer cals day b day? It keeps your metabolism up if one day you eat 1500 , then next 1600, the next 1400....maybe not so rote but you know what I mean...

aphil 01-26-2005 08:15 AM

You stated that you are eating between 1200-1500 a day...up that just a touch to the 1300-1500 range...if you stay in that range-your calorie intake will probably naturally vary a little each day.