General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 03:37 PM   #1  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Angry

This thread is for people who are in to veggie diet plans for whatever reason. Eveni if you're just interested in a diet full of vegetables and vegetarian/vegan foods. Please drop your favorite quick recipies, tips, foods or whatever!
Old 04-29-2001, 03:41 PM   #2  
Bacon Girlie

Default Issues

Jmtank,

Yes, I'm like you...I'm not in to animal rights and all...just want a healthier diet! You know, my BF's family grew up raising cattle too! I don't think it's wrong to do so, just that there are humane and inhumane ways of doing everything.

What types of food are you eating now? I've been getting sick of the typical veggie burger...I love chicken patty substitutes and the veggie ground round for tacos and spaghetti. My favorite find so far is "I can't belive it's not beef" (comes in chicken too). It's preseasoned strips of textured soy that you just throw in with veggies for a great stir fry.

Have you tried and of the dairy-free cheese yet? What do youthink, and do you recommend any?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2001, 09:36 PM   #3  
deleted2

Default Veg. For 17 years!

I'm with you! I love the "I can't Believe It's not Beef" strips too--just wish they weren't so pricy! My current favorite way is to heat the babecue style and serve it over a salad consisting of leaf lettuce, red peppers, onion,kidney beans with a bit of cheddar sprinkled over it. Really beautiful meal and completly satisfying!
We've been doing lots of salads lately. I just buy the pre-washed bagged organic greens and I get a lot of different veggies and cut up a few days worth and keep them in the frig. in one of those sectioned plastic containers and then for the next few days it's just a matter of assembly. This has got to be the best tip I could give anyone. We all know there are days when if the good stuff isn't there and ready to go we're just going to go for the junk. It's worth it after you go to the market to wash and cut up your vegetables and store them away. And then when you come home you have practically instant food! And then you can feel very wise and smug!!!!!

Old 04-30-2001, 02:45 AM   #4  

Can't wait to go back to the USA and try some of this CBINB/C stuff you are talking about. Although I do try and not eat too much proessed stuff. It seems that the meat substitute options we have here are really loaded with things I can't pronounce. I will be checking this thread though for ideas especially from you veterens to the veggie lifestyle.
Old 04-30-2001, 07:54 PM   #5  
Bacon Girlie

Default Hello

Goddess: that's a really good idea. I try to do that, especially with fruits. I'm not much for cutting up stuff, especially lettuce, so I too buy the bagged greens, and usually, bagged broccoli, etc. It's pricy, but whatever it takes to get me to eat more veggies and fruits.

I was in Philadelphia for a week last week and though I don't think I could live in the city forever, I do wish we had fruit stands around here. They have them all over the place, these stands where you can buy fresh-sliced fruits like melons, strawberries and oranges, and have it right there. I'd have one every day for lunch!

Justaveggie:
When will you be back in the US? There aren't many meat subs in Germany? I'll admit...there are a few really good subs out there...even fooled my boyfriend into eating a stir fry with ICBINBeef and he had to ask me whether it was 'real' or not!

Girlie
Old 05-04-2001, 03:36 AM   #6  

I am sure Germany has tons of options for meat substitutes however I don't speak or read German. Makes for huge obstacle to overcome. Also we do not live on the local economy but rather on a US Army base. Not many vegetarians here as you can imagine. We do have a grocery store like in the states on a smaller scale and they carry every manner of American foods, especially the junk and convienance stuff and I can get soy milk and one brand of veggie cheese (which I don't care for so skip anyway it also has that caesin stuff-I don't think I spelled that right). We can get Morningstar farm stuff or sometimes they have garden burgers but pretty much you have to make everything from scratch. I don't mind this though because I think as health goes that those prepackaged things are probably not good to eat daily anyway.
So if anyone has any easy recipes go ahead and send them my way!!!
Old 05-04-2001, 08:34 PM   #7  

Hi Gang! As a fellow "sometimes veggie" I want to share a great site with you...www.veggiesunite.com. it's great. Lots of meal ideas, most quite simple. I don't always stick to a veggie plan but when I do I have much more energy and feel light and confident. It's a great way to go. Good luck all!
Old 05-04-2001, 08:37 PM   #8  

Check that site...it's www.vegweb.com. Sorry!!!
Old 05-05-2001, 02:06 PM   #9  
Bacon Girlie

Default Hey

Hey, thanks for that site!

I found this stuff called "DicedChik"..stay away, stay away!

Girlie
Old 05-24-2001, 01:48 PM   #10  

Default Where is everyone?

Hello all,

I've been lurking around here for a while and forget to check in. Now I see that there's no activity.

Is anybody still out there?

I'm currently working my way to switching to a vegetarian lifestyle. I'll be cutting fish, meat & chicken, slowly but surely.

I look forward to your posts!

Carolina
Old 05-24-2001, 09:04 PM   #11  
Bacon Girlie

Default Hi, Caroline!

It's funny that I just decided to check this thread and you've posted.

I started WW a couple of weeks ago and started eating some meats again, but I don't think it was a good idea. I think I'm gonna go back..I will still eat it every once in a while, I just usually only cook meat subs or fish at home.

Here's a cool site to buy veggie meat subs:

www.nomeat.com

Girlie
Old 05-25-2001, 03:08 AM   #12  

Girlie, why did you find that eating meats was not such a good idea for you? I'm still not eatiing meats either and I just feel healthier, but I can really tell when I eat too many breads/grains as opposed to fruits and vegetables. My weightloss completely levels off. I am convinced that if I remain vegetarian that I will be able to keep off weight and as long as I am careful about starches that I will continue to lose weight. Rigth now I have 10 lbs to lose before I am back to my wedding weight nine years ago. Then after that another ten lbs to goal.
Closed Thread