Anyone see "The View" this week?

• Hello~~

Looking for info on a show about mid-week on ABC "the view". It was something about 12 simple foods to lose you abs. Or something on that order!
    They had the author and he showed samples of meals that would work with his plan. Whole wheat cereals, pasta, lowfat dairy, lowfat meats, berries etc. Seemed like a simple way to do it, and he says it all works to trim the ab area.
    Anyone out there know the exact name of the book &/or the author??
    Thanks in advance chicks!

thinlizzie
  • There isn't any secret there...it is just simple healthy "whole" foods-fruits, veggies, lean meats, skim dairy, and choosing whole grain carbs like whole wheat pasta and oatmeal over simple carbs. (white bread, bagels, 80% of cereals, and all the refined stuff like cookies, cakes, crackers, etc.) High in produce and fiber, and lean protein.

They do nothing special to "trim the ab area" alone...eating this way is a very healthy way to eat and if you eat this way and reduce your calorie intake-you will lose all over-not just the abs. It is just because the abs are the "In" body part the past few years.
  • These are the 12 'power' foods:
    1) Almonds and Other Nuts eaten with skins intact.
    2) Beans and Other Legumes
    3) Spinach and Other Green Vegetables
    4) Dairy: Fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese
    5) Instant Oatmeal: Unsweetened, unflavored
    6) Eggs
    7) Turkey and other lean meats. Lean steak, chicken, fish
    8) Peanut Butter - All-natural, sugar-free.
    9) Olive Oil
    10) Whole-Grain Breads and Cereals
    11) Extra-Protein (Whey) Powder
    12) Raspberries and Other Berries

The reason certain fruits/veg have been picked out is to make a nice catchy acronym (absdietpower). Don't get me wrong. These are all good foods.

And totally agree with what aphil says... The Abs Diet by David Zinczenko, is nothing but a gimmick. Showing your abs is all about reducing body fat (whilst maintaining muscle tone).

The advice in the book is simply a scaled down version of what fitness models and bodybuilders have known for 20 years. Eat often and eat more protein, build muscle to increase metabolism (and therefore burn more fat), do strength training, and some cardio. This is a standard prescription for healthy weight loss. What it's got to do with abs - nothing really except it's a good selling point.

Sorry for the cynicism - but I've read/reviewed too many diet books now. It's easy to spot a gimmick from a mile off.

Hope this helps
  • seems like smart advice
  • Sure is smart advice - it's the kind of diet I've been on for most of this year. What it's got to do with abdominal muscles I don't know. All I do know is that I would need to get down to about 9-10% bodyfat before seeing a hint of any abs.

The key to fat loss is getting the nutrition right AND adding cardio, weight training, and a whole lot of commitment!