General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:01 AM   #46  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs up

Jennifer, good report on the turkey and stuffing, I have often looked at that particular recipe.

I made the breakfast casserole last night. DD and I had it for supper and we both enjoyed it. At the time I was eating it I thought I wanted something to go with it, but then a little after eating it I felt totally satisfied.
ledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #47  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

Morning ladies
Well it is day 5 for me and everyday I make it I am having a mini celebration
Day by day is the only way I will make it, and watching the days pile up will be a great thrill for this chick Hope everyone is doing well ...oh the spanish omlet is pretty good, had it this morning it was different but good
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 12:06 PM   #48  
Building my Body for Life

Hi everyone! It's Day 3 for me and I'm doing great! I am still enjoying the "honeymoon period" with the EFL cookbook. Yesterday I made the Cookies & Cream nutrition shake and the Chicken Enchiladas. The shake could have used some more cookies but it was pretty good.

The Chicken Enchiladas were great! A healthy alternative to cravings for Mexican food. Tonight I'm going to try the Rotisserie Chicken. I think I'll eventually get tired of cooking several times per day but I'm still enjoying it right now.

Have a great day!
Jocelyn
Fitchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:12 PM   #49  

Ok - a question. Has anyone else tried making the nutrition shakes? I've made 2 so far - the Cookies & Cream and the Pina Colada. The book says the recipes make 1 serving but when I pour it in a "tall glass" (about the same size as the one in the picture in the book), I have about 1/2 of the shake left in the blender.

I've only been drinking 1/2 at a time because that's really all I need for a serving. Is this happening to anyone else?

Getting ready for a great LBW!
Jocelyn
Old 01-05-2005, 06:44 PM   #50  
Losing on the Beach

Wish I could help but havent made one yet, been buying the prepackaged ....hope someone else answers soon, I will be interested to find out as well
Old 01-05-2005, 07:09 PM   #51  
Chick

I haven't actually made a shake from EFL. I make the myolite ones though - I have a HUGE glass that they fit into but they don't fit into a normal size glass.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:40 AM   #52  
Chick

Just a follow up on a couple of recipes. The breakfast casserole only improved as leftovers. I will make it again. Instead of using egg beaters I used 1 whole egg and 7 whites (large eggs). If you make it and warm it up, it only takes 1 min. and 15 sec. - don't want it to get rubbery by zapping it too long.

Also, made the pumpkin cheesecake yesterday and I like it a lot. A while back I was making the strawberry cheesecake but finally burned out on it. In some ways I like the pumpkin better.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:28 AM   #53  

Happy Thursday everyone! Thanks for all the input on the recipes in EFL. Yesterday I made the Rotisserie Chicken and the Butterscotch Pudding dessert.

The Rotisserie Chicken was ok - nothing special. I actually prefer Season All to the Rotisserie seasoning but at least it was something different.

The Butterscotch Pudding was excellent! Creamy and sweet, perfect for dessert cravings. I've discovered the secret to the pudding is making sure you have exactly the right amount of milk (and maybe a splash more). I think I shorted it a bit on the Banana Pudding and it turned out a little "cakey". It still tasted good though.

Last night I made a Chicken Caesar Wrap to put in the refrigerator for today's lunch. I'll let you know how it is. Can you tell I'm a bit obsessed with this cookbook?

The only slight downside is that I feel like I'm not getting enough fruit. I realize I can eat it as a carb with each meal but it's hard when you don't like cottage cheese... I know a lot of people eat it that way. I think I'll have a piece with tonight's dinner.

Have a great BFL/EFL day!
Jocelyn
Old 01-06-2005, 10:40 AM   #54  
Chick

Jocelyn, It does take a while to figure out good combinations of food to eat and I hear what you are saying about fruit. W/ Br.Casserole I went ahead and added 1/2 orange to make the meal seem more complete. Sometimes I like to just squeeze spicy mustard on turkey slices, roll it up for protein and then instead of a bread or other carb have a piece of fruit. Hope we can get you to liking cottage cheese because it can be a wonderful staple - won't force it though. String cheese and a fruit is a good snack.

I'm glad you are obsessed w/ the cookbook, it has motivated me to get more interested in it.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:12 AM   #55  

ledom - That makes sense (eating the turkey with fruit). I will try that as a midmeal. I have DESPERATELY tried to like cottage cheese but I just don't. I think it's the consistency that gets me. I also despise cream cheese so... you guessed it - I hate cheesecake!

I'm going to try some of the EFL recipes where the cottage cheese goes through the food processor. Maybe I will be able to tolerate it that way.

Has anyone tried the dips yet? I want to try that salsa one. Is it really cottage cheese-y or does it taste like a yummy dip? I'm hoping for the latter.

Jocelyn
Old 01-06-2005, 02:03 PM   #56  
Losing on the Beach

Morning ladies,
Glad to see this thread going strong, there for awhile it was stagnent
Day 6 for me, and feeling really good...need to go grocery shopping again, I think it actually saves me money instead of costing more as I am just buying things I need and no impulse cookies and ice cream Glad to see the recipe testing going strong, may try that pudding this week. Hope you all have an awsome day
Old 01-06-2005, 02:23 PM   #57  
Ilene the Bean

My favorite cottage cheese concoction lately is to whip it up with my hand blender till extremely smooth add vanilla and some splenda, refrigerate and it tastes, to me, like vanilla pudding... To get a more vanilla taste I've adde SF vanilla pudding...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #58  

Everyone's being quiet today! I thought I'd give my report on a couple more EFL recipes. I haven't been cooking much over the past couple of days because we've had some leftovers from earlier in the week.

I did try the Chicken Caesar Wrap and it was pretty good. Tastes about like any wrap you've had at a restaurant, etc.

The Chocolate Oatmeal was just OK, in my opinion. I kept adding sweetener because it just didn't seem sweet enough. I think it's one of those things that will grow on you over time.

I'm leaving for a business trip to Miami bright and early in the morning. Luckily, tomorrow is my free day so I won't have to worry about dodging the calorie fest in the airport or the appetizer and cocktail reception tomorrow night. I don't know how often I'll be able to check the boards but I will try to keep you updated on how I'm doing. The hotel has a gym and I've checked on the menus for the provided meals. It looks like I should have no problem staying on track. I know I can do it!

Have a great BFL day!
Jocelyn
Old 01-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #59  
Chick

Jocelyn, enjoy your trip. I haven't tried any new recipes but today is a cooking day. I'll be making the Chicken Enchiladas, Ham and Egg casserole (again), an non-EFL muffin recipe, and some batches of pudding, and some oatmeal. Those are the plans anyway. Thought some of you here might like this link http://www.eatingforlife.com/recipes/nutrition.asp for nutritional info on EFL recipes.

On the cottage cheese issue - I seem to enjoy it more w/ sweet combos than savory i.e. the salsa dip recipe. This is my fave breakfast. 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal w/ one scoop choc. protein powder mixed in, 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup berries (strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries) and splenda to taste.

And in case you haven't discovered this. Some cottage cheese brands are more palatable than others. There is a Hiland brand in my region that I like a lot.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #60  

Question A few questions

I need a little help in making my decision to do BFL...
I don't eat meat, this includes fish, eggs. I do eat dairy.

1) Do I need both books, how does it go if you just use EFL?
2) Since I don't eat meat would this plan work?

Thank you for your help, any other advise would be appreciated.
DZ
dzbzsz is offline   Reply With Quote