General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/201/110

Height: 5'1"

Question success with slim fast?

Hello! I saw that a lot of people in here use slim fast. I was wondering how much success you have had with it and what kind of plan you follow. I am starting on this tomorrow and would like as much as information as anyone is wanting to share. Thanks!!
chelle567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:11 AM   #2  

Hi- I just stumbled across your question today, but saw your post was from about 2 weeks ago. I'd certainly be willing to tell you about my experience with Slimfast, but want to make sure you are still interested. I have not found anyone else who is using Slimfast on this message board- just people who know someone who does or are thinking about trying it. Well, let me know if you still need info!
barb64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:39 AM   #3  
Moi

I'm interested!
Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:02 PM   #4  

Good! First, I really want to say that I know alot of folks here are against using any type of supplement to diet whatsoever. For the most part I agree- I think drugs or herbs that claim to help are a waste of time and money. Many of them are downright dangerous. For me, using Slimfast has been a huge help. It does not contain any drugs, herbs or anything that suppresses appetite. What it does, is give me a nutritious and filling base to build my meals on for the day. It takes some of the guesswork out of planning for me, which makes it much easier to eat right with a busy schedule. The other part of what has made me successful is the website that Slimfast has, which has a meal planner. I started out by following the suggested meals to the letter- then as I got smarter about my food choices, began to delete some things out and put my choices in. The fantastic part is how this all works together- you enter all the foods you ate (or plan to eat) for the day. It totals everything up for you- your vitamins, minerals, fiber, fat, carbs and calories...everything. This way, you know how you're doing all the time. You won't have to worry about your nutrition suffering as you diet. This is a problem I always had when dieting before- I felt lousy and could not keep it up! Some people complain that they didn't like the taste of the products too, but I really like almost all of them. There is alot to choose from and different stores carry different items. I find Wal-Mart or Target have the best prices.

Ok, having said all of that- Right before turning 40, I started in Feb. 2004 at 235 (I'm 5'2")- have steadily lost since then, 37 pounds. I am exercising- I go to Curves 3x a week and I walk alot at work! I feel great and am rarely ever hungry (unless I'm running late). I have Slimfast for breakfast and lunch along with fruit, yogurt, sunflower seeds- whatever I've planned. Then, I have a regular dinner- it might be a frozen meal and salad or what my family is having- you just have to adjust your portions. You also have 3 snacks each day- this is the clincher for me! Again, all is planned out by you- if you want to have something higher in calories for dinner- you may have to give up your evening snack. I personally like to spread my calories out to prevent hunger. The way the plan works has helped me to become more in tune with my body- eating just when I'm hungry, really knowing what nutrition I need and when. Using the meal planner and nutrition log helps you with 2 of the most important things to dieting successfully- it assures you that you are eating properly and keeps track of your calories. My eating habits were unbelievable before this- I ate anything I felt like. It was all catching up to me, though.

Between the Slimfast itself, their website and the tools that come with it, my new fitness plan and, most importantly, my total change in attitude- I am successful where I have never been before! I truly cannot imagine going back to the way I was before. My goal is to get to 125 pounds and I have no reason to believe I won't! When I get to my goal weight, I will either continue to use Slimfast once a day- or just eat healthfully without it. I know the most important part will be continuing to log my food and to exercise. This will be a lifetime pursuit- not just something that ends when I get to the "magic number"!

Well, I really hope this helps! Like I said, it's not for everyone- but it can work for you if you're willing to put the effort into logging at the website. Slimfast is not fairy dust that will make you thin overnight. It still takes planning and effort- but it definitely makes it easier to do that. I wish you good luck and good health- I'll be interested to hear what you decide!

Last edited by barb64; 07-25-2004 at 10:04 PM.
barb64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:49 AM   #5  

i want to do slimfast too!!
xJOANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Slim-Fast is not a supplement. It is a meal replacement-and that is a different thing entirely. I am-and most of the mods here-are against using supplements to lose weight-simply because they don't work and can cause potential health complications due to the ingredients.

Something that I would recommend for those of you starting Slim-Fast-is to try the plan using other brands of meal replacement shakes/bars as well-that may fall in the same caloric range. The Dr. Phil meal replacement bars taste a heck of a lot better than the Slim-Fast ones-and have more fiber, protein, etc. The shakes are the same-over twice the protein-26 grams vs. Slim-Fasts 10 grams, less sugar, and more fiber-8grams per shake vs. Slim-Fast's 5 grams. The shakes have more calcium as well-70% vs. Slim Fast having 40%.

I don't think using a meal replacement is a bad thing at all-but there are some better quality ones out there that you can use with the basic "Slim-Fast" plan that are more nutritious. You can follow the plan the same way though-just changing the shake/bar. As long as it is in the 200-300 calorie range-it can be used in place of the S-F shakes. Kashi shakes and bars are also excellent, more nutritious replacements. Slim-Fast is just the most advertised and popular.

Make sure that you follow the plan exactly though-and DO eat your between meal snacks of allowed fruit/yogurt/veggies. It is an important part of the plan for getting enough fiber and nutrients in each day.

Good luck to you all!
Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:03 PM   #7  
Om shanti

Actually, most of the products that used to be known as supplements are now known as meal replacements, due to rulings by the FDA.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:06 PM   #8  

I tried the slim fast, but it did not work for me very well. Has anyone tried the Scan Diet meal replacement?
TerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:31 PM   #9  
Om shanti

I tried Scan-Diet once, but didn't like the taste at all. It is soy protein powder, instead of whey protein, and soy protein powder has a very distinctive taste that is difficult to overcome with flavorings.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:44 PM   #10  

Thanks bicker. Would it be better to get a protien shake instead as a meal replacement?
Old 08-16-2004, 06:32 PM   #11  
Om shanti

My vote is for EAS Myoplex Lite. But that's just my preference...
Old 08-17-2004, 09:04 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Terry-if you are using it as a meal replacement-you want a meal replacement. The protein supplements are mainly for added protein to be used with strength training, without the fat/carb balance of a meal replacement bar or shake.
It is not meant to replace a meal because it is not balanced to do so. It is meant for extra protein needed to maintain the muscle mass of someone who strength trains. You do want a meal replacement that has more and higher quality protein than Slim-Fast though-but it also needs to have the rest of the nutritional balance of a meal replacement.
So you do want a meal replacement-but there are a lot better ones nutritionally out there than Slim-Fast. Myoplex is a good one-like bicker said, and there are others as well. Don't buy Myoplex from GNC though...too expensive. Get it online for a lot better prices.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:20 PM   #13  

Thanks for that info. I stopped by my local GNC just to get an idea of the Scan Diet and the clerk totally slammed the program. I found that odd since he is there to make money. Maybe I will try the Myoplex. If the scan diet tastes bad, I would not drink it, so it would be a waste.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:34 PM   #14  
Om shanti

GNC, although it provides incentives to sell GNC brands and partners sometimes, tends to let their staff give their honest appraisal of the stuff they sell.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #15  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

as far as slim fast not being nutritioius enough, I log my food on the nutrition log on slim fasts website and it tells you how much calcium/protein/fiber, etc that your getting and I get way more than the recommended daily dosages on slimfast...so I don't think it's such a bad dead...and the optima tastes soooo much betta than the other stuff...
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote