General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 01:57 PM   #1  
Trainee Sex Bomb!! ;o)

Question

Hiya, I'm Hottie - I need some help finding some healthy diet plans (no crash ones, or meal substitutes). Some friends and I need to lose some weight for our holidays, and we don't have spare cash for weightwatchers etc, so we're setting up our own local support group. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Nice to meet yas!

love Hottie
Old 04-09-2001, 02:05 PM   #2  
I WILL get to my goal!

I just started the "Zone" diet plan. I do not know if you are willing to buy the books or to follow this particular diet, but I have heard some great things about it. It seems to be more of a lifestyle change rather than a quick-fix, fad, diet plan. If you are interested, you should visit the official Zone Diet website. Go to www.enterthezone.com

They can tell you more about the diet and what is involved with it.

I also want to give you a link of a seemingly unbiased point of view of the Zone Diet. This may help you to make an informed decision on whether or not you would like to persue this diet as a means to lose weight. The link is... http://nutrition.about.com/health/nu...y/aa072098.htm

I do not know if this is what you are looking for, but other than WW and Jenny Craig, this is the only lifestyle change diet that I can suggest from the top of my head.

Good luck on your weight loss and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by duchessnicole; 04-09-2001 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2001, 03:30 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default I have a few suggestions (as always!)

Hottie - pleased ta meecha!

I've got a page on my website where I recommend a few books...but I'll just name some titles here (you should be able to find these in your library!):

"Fat of the Land" by Michael Fumento - the down and dirty about the obesity problem in America and what you can do to lose weight - I can't say enough about this book - great read!

"Make the Connection" by Bob Greene and Oprah Winfrey - ten easy steps to losing weight and getting in shape that make sense - also see if you can snag the video (it's been out of print for about a year but you should be able to get a used one - try www.half.com ) since it complements the book quite well IMHO.

"Thin for Life" by Anne Fletcher - this is a terrific book - the author has interviewed dozens of weight loss "Masters" (people who have lost 20+ pounds - and more importantly kept it off for a minimum of five years...I mean, if you want to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF, who better to turn to than those who have actually done it - without gimmicks, pills or special foods.

Not to be blowing my own horn, but you could also browse through my previous posts to check out what else I've posted about losing weight (they tend to get a bit lengthy - when I have time, I'll probably post some on my website as well)

Take care and remember - we're always here for you - and you don't need to spend a fortune to lose weight effectively and permanently!
Old 04-11-2001, 05:13 AM   #4  

HI!

It is ABSOLUTELY NOT necessary to spend one dime on any book, powder, pill or program to lose weight.

Losing weight is nothing more than watching your caloric intake. 1300 to 1400 a day is for me a good amount but a person should NEVER go below 1200 as that is the amount of calories a personīs body needs to run itīs machinery, heart, lungs, kidney functions, etc. I also have cut fat, I use skim milk not whole or low fat, I eat two apples a day, (some fad diets will scoff at this but check with the American Dietitic Association) I drink lots of water, no alcohol except at family dinner which is every two weeks, I watch my portions, I weighed them at one time but now I can see it and tell if itīs too much, I exercise the four large muscle groups, arms and legs, no aerobics, stairs, walking, arm weights, and breathing exercises, I eat five times a day (three meals, two snacks) to avoid a sluggish metabolism and this also helps to keep me from binging at night. It CAN be done!

Devise a strategy of your own making. Itīs cheap, and you are more prone to follow it.

Good luck to you all!

I attached a little article that I hope you will find interesting!!
Old 04-11-2001, 07:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Welcome!

I agree with breathless that you don't have to have any books, video, or programs to follow, but some people need that structure to lose weight. If you are the type who has tried to lose weight in the past on your own without success, you probably do need a program to follow. Whatever you do choose it, in itself, is a program (counting calories, fat grams, etc.)

My advice to not "using a program" would be to plan out your meals at least one week in advance by choosing lowfat meals. there are several websites that have lowfat meals and menus. (I live in a small town and a lot of the entire meals don't work well for me because I can't find half the ingredients.)

www.meals.com is one of the sites.

You could also check out www.fitday.com or www.dietwatch.com . They are free web sites that help you monitor your eating, activities, and nutrition. I use fitday but I haven't tried dietwatch.

Good luck in your losses.
Dawnyal
Old 04-11-2001, 03:36 PM   #6  
Trainee Sex Bomb!! ;o)

Thank you for your advice - and btw - how do you get those cool piccies under your name?? rofl.....

Hottie xx
Old 04-11-2001, 09:31 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default How to get those cool pix...

Hottie -

Click on top where it says "Profile" then "Edit Profile". The pictures are called "avatars". 3FC has a selection (which I've noticed has been growing lately!) of pix or you can download your own - just make sure that you stay within the size limits - took me a few tries!

Now on to books!

I agree that you don't have to purchase books, that's why I always suggest going to the library first - that's what I do myself. I'm not exactly rolling in the bucks - so when I hear of an interesting book (of any kind, not just diet/weight loss oriented!) I'll go to my library and place a hold on it. Actually I don't even have to go to the library to find it - my local public library has their catalog on-line and I can place holds on any book in the county library system (over 20 libraries!). For a mere 50 cents (paid when you pick up the book from the library) you can place a hold, then they email or call you when it comes in...it's terrific!

If I enjoy a book enough to actually plunk down cold hard cash, I try to get a deal on it. Half.com and Amazon.com are great places to get deals on hardly used books - in fact I just picked up a copy of Anne Fletcher's "Thin for Life" for a mere 89 cents plus $2 shipping from Half.com! great place to pick up CDs and DVDs for a mere 'song' as well!

In one of my previous posts, I quoted a study of women who were able to keep lost weight off ("Maintainers") and those who weren't ("Relapsers").

I'll quote part of that study again:

"Maintainers made decisions to lose weight and then devised personal weight-loss plans to fit their lives. These plans usually included regular exercise or activity and a new eating style of reduced fat, reduced sugar, more fruits and vegetables, and much less food than previously eaten. Maintaners reported being patient, setting small goals that they could meet, and sticking to their personally devised weight-loss plans. Some used ideas from earlier weight-loss experiences, some used diets from books, but all persisted until new eating patterns were established...However, they did not completely restrict favorite foods and made efforts to avoid feelings of deprivation while changing food patterns.

In contrast, few relapsers (36%) had exercised to help lose weight. They had lost weight by taking appetite suppressants, fasting, or going on restrictive diets that they could not sustain. They took diet formulas and went to weight-control groups and programs many times. While dieting they did not allow permit themselves any of the special foods they enjoyed..."

--American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, November 1990, (quoted on pages 184-195 of Michael Fumento's "Fat of the Land")

Basically though, I do believe it is imperative to do at least a small amount of research on diet, exercise and weight-loss. The Internet is a terrific tool, but there are so many questionable web sites out there as well as fragmented information, that you will eventually need to pick up some books - (from the free library first though!) and read up on the subject in order to be successful!

Take care...
Old 04-28-2001, 09:04 AM   #8  
Trainee Sex Bomb!! ;o)

TY Mrs J, will try your advice - like the picture?

love Hottie xx
Closed Thread