General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 09:35 AM   #16  

I also count calories. I try to stay between 1600 and 1800 but sometimes I creep up to about 2000. I try and do the higher end on the weekends and the lower amount during the week.
Old 04-10-2001, 03:12 PM   #17  

Hello there!

Lana, "maybe" you are losing fat, but with your strength training, could it be possible that you're replacing the fat with muscle? I know I've gone qute a few months with such a small weight loss that I wanted to quit, but exercising does make me feel good and even sometimes when I don't see the diff. on the scale, maybe my ring would be a littel looser, or my clothes fit better. I know I "FEEL" good like something GOOD is happening inside.

Have you ever thought that you could be exercising too much? Maybe you're body is holding onto what it has because you're not getting enough calories for as active as you are. (I also love to rollerblade in the summer).

I've been drinking (not sipping, but mouthfuls) of cold water throughout the day and I've increased my water intake greatly and I don't get bloated anymore, and I cut down on coffee (caffine) and I don't get any tenderness up top neither. As far as the cravings, I buy the bite size snickers or caramello bars and they are in the TOP shelf in the BACK of my cupboard so it's not easy to get to them and I do allow myself to have one even two and let me tell you, I savor every bite.

If I feel too deprived, then I end up binging and my mood is just all crappy.

I hope you can find something that'll help. Maybe even a visit to the Dr. can help put things into perspective.

Good luck,
Lisa
Old 04-10-2001, 10:19 PM   #18  
Ilene the Bean

Default Hi girls!!

Calorie wise I had a good day...less than 1600 cals and about 50 gms of fat, fatwise not the greatest but it's because I had a small piece of cake...And I don't feel so bad about it because I still was under 1600 cals....and I guess I shouldn't make myself deprived as you said Lisa....

Thanks for the thoughts Lisa..... I doubt very much that I have gained muscles... I have been doing weights regularly for 16 years now... yes I was in the gym when women were frowned upon in a gym, well at mine they were anyways... so it's not the muscles... I even weight trained through 2 pregnancies.... had the easiest pregnancies on record I really must brag about them the first one was 4 hours from beginning to end.....the second get this....I left the house at 2:35am had the baby at 2:55am, thank goodness the hospital is only 2 blocks away...... 3 pushes too and she was out.... But funny you should mention the doctor, because I have been procrastinating about making an appointment, it's been at least 4 years, and I'm 44 so that's not a good thing.... I think I'll make one tomorrow.....

I even take vitamins for my PMS....which really helps .....

Thanks girls, talking about these things has made me think.... and thinking is a good thing......

Later all....

It's getting late here....

Lana......
Old 04-12-2001, 12:27 PM   #19  
hot mom wanna be!

Default keepin' this thread going!

I am glad there are us calorie counters out there. I really feel it's the best way to lose weight and to maintain it once you get to your ideal /goal weight. I have been going to the slimfast thread cause I use their products sometimes for breakfast or snacks but I would prefer to have a thread where we all count calories!

Well for me, as I stated before I am keeping mine between 1800-2000 since I have so much to lose and it's still working! This morning I weighed in and lost another two pounds!!

Lorelei
27 pounds lighter!!
Old 04-12-2001, 01:43 PM   #20  

Hi:

I am another new calorie counter. I currently weigh 198 and would like to lose about 50-60 pounds. Could someone suggest how many calories I should be eating. I have gained and lost so many times that I really have trouble losing. I am glad that I found you. Hope we can keep this thread going.
Old 04-12-2001, 02:31 PM   #21  
Water Freak

Hey, another calorie counter here! Counting calories is really the only way that works for me. None of this cut out a whole food group stuff (although I am a vegetarian, so I guess I already do cut out a lot). I try to stay under 1800 calories a day. I'm 5'9", trying to lose those last ten pounds, and I exercise a fair amount, so I feel this isn't excessive. I can still feel fairly satisfied on 1800 and still have dessert as long as it's not over the top, so that makes it a lot easier for me! Anyway, I think it's great to have a calorie counters thread going for those of us who aren't using any particular commercial weight loss plan, so let's keep it up!

Cat
180/145/135
Old 04-12-2001, 04:16 PM   #22  

Hi Gang:

Welcome Shiela and Moonbeam: I'm also gald to have found this thread and I get quite a bit of support and ideas. Not to mention everyone here is great!

As far as what your calorie intake should be, I'm not quite sure myself.
My hubby talked with our Dr. (about me) when he had his appt. last week, a check up (due to his heart scare and thus being told to LOSE weight ...again), but our Dr. told him that I would need to be on a 1400 calorie a day diet. But, I'm 5' 8 1/2" and hubby told him I was only 5'7" and I walk 5 to 6 days a week for about 50 minutes and I try to walk at least 3 1/2 miles each time. Not always, but I still try.
I personally don't feel "strong" enough at 1400 calories per day. I try to get in anywhere between 1400 to 1700 per day and I will allow myself a treat (which is anything chocolate) only once a week now. Actually I gave up "junk food" "sweets" and "chocolate" for Lent and I've noticed a big change, lost 4 lbs. right away and the craving for something sweet is there sometimes, but I don't crave chocolate like I used to.

I believe it all depends on your height and activity level. But I'd start at around 1800 to 2000 per day and then take it from there.

It's such a shock counting calories now. I'm amazed at how much hubby and I actually did eat. No wonder we looked like we did.

Have a great day everyone
Lisa
Old 04-12-2001, 10:58 PM   #23  

Default WANT TO COUNT CALORIES

Hello Everyone

I have been reading through the threads and i'm very interested in counting calories. However i'm not exactly sure how you go about it. I know there is a calorie value for everything we eat, but if you don't have a label right in front of you, or it's a homemade dish you are eating..... how do you count? Like with Weight Watchers you have those books with a point value for everything. Is there something like that with the Calorie counting? I would appreciate it if someone would be so kind to point me in the right direction(a website or something).

Thank you for any help
Old 04-13-2001, 09:08 AM   #24  
hot mom wanna be!

Welcome to all our new members!!

SheilaXXX-It's really hard to say exactly how many calories someone should have. It's based on your age, how much you weigh and how much you exercise. I don't know the exact website but it is interesting to search the net like I did a few months ago. I came across several "basal metabolism calculators" (thats what I typed to find them). You input your sex, height, age and activity level and the calculator figures out how many calories your body needs just to function (Like if you literally did nothing but lay on the couch ALL day your body may need 1500 calories a day and if you were moderately active it would say you needed 1800 for example). It will tell your basal metabolism and your active metabolism. It will say to maintain your weight eat calories between the two figures and to lose eat a few hundred less than your basal.
For me due to my weight and height it said my basal (if I did nothing all day) is 2000 calories and active is 2300. I eat between 1800-2000 a day and have lost 27 pounds in 3 months!! good luck!!

Circles-I would go to a bookstore in the health/fitness section and get an inexpensive paperback calorie counter book. When you use it enough you kind of learn the basics of what you eat a lot. Like most fruit
is 50-100 calories a piece. A piece of bread is 80 calories but diet bread is 40 (2 pieces for the calories of one regular!!), Veggies vary but are also low-cal. It can be 50-100 cals a half cup, etc.. Also some books list your fave resturants calorie counts. You would be suprised the calories in some of the fast food breakfasts for example. Also fast food info is on the web for most resturants like burgerking.com,
etc... there are also calorie counting websites you can go to just search under calorie counting and you should find some.

Well, I am looking forward to Sunday to see how close I get to my 30 pound Easter goal!!

happy weekend!!
Lorelei
27 pounds lighter
Old 04-13-2001, 10:24 PM   #25  

Yep, Yep, Count me in as a caloire counter. Even tho I drink a Slim Fast here and there. I found drinking a Slim Fast is allot better then ordering a shake at a fast food place. Cliff bars and Luna bars comes in handy for candy craving and such so I find things to supplement other things around snack time. So far I have been staying between the 1200 and 1500 calorie range. It's been working for me pretty good so far and dog gone it I lost weight. I only weigh myself in every Fri. I don't want to drive myself crazy with the scale every day. Take a 30min walk in the morning and train my dogs in the evening. I think caloire counting has been the most successful thing I did.
Old 04-16-2001, 06:53 PM   #26  
hot mom wanna be!

Default Uggh!! Been pigging out this holiday weekend!!

I will have to get back on the stick. I was out of control all weekend. I always seem to lose it at holiday time and eat way to much food and candy, etc..
Oh, well tommorow is another day!! Back to my calorie counting, hope everyone else did much better.

Lorelei
Old 04-16-2001, 09:56 PM   #27  
Ilene the Bean

Default Too much holiday eating here too.........

Yes today is another day.....
I had many calories today but all good ones, for some reason I was really hungry for fruits....ate 4 bananas and 4 large oranges....
Hope eveyone had a good weekend...back to the ole grind here tomorrow...It's gonna be another short weeek.....yippee......
My g/f and I will join weight watchers at the end of the month...she has some occasions that she wants to pass over before joining....I will do points and calories....same diff if you ask me....one way or the other I will lose weight...darn I just gotta....
Circles, if you want a good calorie counting web site try www.fitday.com.....excellent and free...

Later girls....

Lana.......
Old 04-16-2001, 10:51 PM   #28  

Hi! I'm the new girl! I began counting calories 2 1/2 weeks ago and have lost 5lbs. so far. I weigh myself on Mondays so I don't have to look at the scale the day after a binge-fest like today. I'm glad you all were here. I'm ready for tomorrow to start over again. I'm only 5'2" and should only be eating 1200-1400 calories a day. I'm finding that really hard to do. I also gave up all sweets (except sugar-free icecream, only thing I don't crave) for Lent and did great until today. I ate some of my little boy's candy and it set me off to eating all day. Wow, I sure wish I could have this day back! I only managed to walk 1/2 a mile today because hubby was out of town and kids would not cooperate. I'm off to bed- tomorrow is a new day!

I enjoyed reading previous posts and feel good about my calorie counting plan again. Thanks!

Laura
Old 04-17-2001, 05:50 PM   #29  

Hi All:

My weigh in's are on Friday's and usually after the weigh in, I know what kind of weekend I'll be having. I have been pretty busy getting the yard ready for the spring/summer, so I'm outside quite a bit and not stuck inside "thinking" about NOT eating.

I lost 2 lbs. last week and I've been keeping my calorie intake close to 1400 to 1600 per day, but I do exercise pretty much 5 (sometimes) 6 days a week. I've also given up chocolate and junk foods/sweets for Lent and I really noticed my weight loss started up again. I think I was at a platue or something, but giving all of that up, has helped a great deal. I now allow myself something like that no more than twice a week, but I have to have exercised everyday, or it's only one day a week. I had to give myself limits with that or it'd would be a mess all over again.

I hope everyone is doing well and has a great week with your programs.
Old 04-17-2001, 07:10 PM   #30  
Ilene the Bean

Default Happy Belated Easter Everyone

How is everyone today after the w/end? Here was a great day food wise...only 1277 cals. and 27 gms fat....yahoo!!!

Over the W/end tho....weelllllll.....that's was a different story... It was difficult to get back into work today.... I haven't weighed myself in ages....scared to....:sad:

This morning and yesterday I was at the gym did my usual w/out, and later I will go for a walk... I may do a Yoga tape later too.......

Anyways I have to get going...

Later girls,

Lana.........
Closed Thread