General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-09-2004, 03:08 PM   #1  

Default what diet is the best to be on i am so confused"""""""""""""'

I am a fat lady who needs to lose alot of weight. I am so confused with all the diets out there and want to know what you people think is the best diet. I am a person that likes all kinds of foods, so if you could give me a suggestion I would appreciate it.

[email protected]
abigi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:01 PM   #2  

Hi, Abigi7. Welcome! Congratulations on your decision to lose weight.

I think the answer to your question is simple: the diet that you should go on is the one that works best for you. Although this is a simple concept, it took me years to figure this out. Every new diet that comes out promises to be “THE” one that will make you lose weight. However, it’s silly to believe that one size fits all where diets are concerned. I mean, would it make sense for someone who doesn’t like meats all that much to decide to go on Atkins? No. That person would be doomed to failure. The key is to find a diet that fits your lifestyle, your inclinations (as far as foods), and is something that you can live with for the rest of your life. This last thing is so important. Why go on a grapefruit diet when you know that you won’t be able to eat that way for the rest of your life? You have to look beyond the short term goal of losing weight to the long term goal of maintaining that weight loss.

Try to do a little self reflection to determine what type of foods you like to eat and what type of lifestyle you lead. After all these years of dieting, I’ve finally found that plain, old fashioned calorie counting (1500 per day) and following the food pyramid works best for me. I like variety in my eating and counting calories is one way I can have a little bit of everything. Nothing is off limits to me if eaten in moderation. But that’s me. You have to decide what you like. If you think that calorie counting might be your thing, I suggest a book called Dieting for Dummies. It’s a straightforward, common sense approach to weight loss.

Good luck to you!
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:50 PM   #3  

abigi7 CONGRATS, CONGRATS, CONGRATS. you have to find what works for your body. being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last nov. changed my life forever. i went home and cleaned house, so to speak. i went to a nutritionist and she taught me a better, healthy way of eating. i eat pretty much what i want, just not all of it at one time. i watch my carbs, fat, and calories. i do not go hungry or feel deprived. i think for me if i feel like i CAN'T have something, that makes me want it that much more. as i said in the beginning you have to find what works for you. i wish you all the luck in the world. and you have taken the hardest step by just deciding to lose weight. good luck and keep us informed.
chequitagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:13 PM   #4  

hi abiji ihave just started on this forum and the people i have chatted to gave me the best advice ever !!! they suggest visiting the websites or getting the magazines and that will give you a good look into what the individual diets entail and will give you the chance to check them all out hope this is any use to you
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:16 AM   #5  

I, too, like a lot of foods, and find that Adkins and South Beach are too restrictive for me. I know that I would not be successful on them. Weightwatchers is working for me. Can eat anything, just not lots, and not every day. Works for me!
Ellen3109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:49 AM   #6  

And don't forget exercise - research shows that the people who are successful at keeping weight off are people who adopted an exercise plan along with their diet!
emilyatau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 04:51 PM   #7  

Default which diet?

Abigi - what have you decided? I'm new here and just read your original post and am wondering what you've decided to do? Please let us know how you're doing. Whizzywigg
whizzywigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:22 AM   #8  

Smile

I took a Biology class ...."biology of foods" and the prof told us that all those diet plans out.....are just a way for those people to make money with the book they put out....and rarely work...maybe for a few people but not the majority. He also said....follow the food pyramid and its amounts of servings you should have daily. He said that THAT is the BEST diet plan for anyone.
shell83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:55 PM   #9  

The government has admitted the Food Pyramid is flawed and since its inception people have become fatter than ever. It is being revised and the new version will be out next year - guess what it will have refined carbs very limited.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote